car shopping

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image58
    jnozposted 14 years ago

SHARE WITH US YOUR TIPS ON HOW TO APPROACH PURCHASING A NEW CAR OR USED.....LAST WEEK OF THE MONTH IS BEST TIP OF THE MONTH,,,DO YOU AGREE.....

1. profile image50
      DreamCarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It should be comfortable, spacious and good on road.
      It should also give a good mileage, with a powerful engine.
      It should have a stylish look and lovely color to go with it

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It should get at least 45 - 50 MPG and able to easily travel at the speed you will use it.
        It should have low enough emissions to be exempt from emissions testing.
        It should have multiple air bags and other passive safety features.
        It should have bluetooth to your cell.
        Style and color are immaterial - "Does it fit your needs" is the question to ask.

Everyone has a different "perfect" car.

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I did a hub on just that! smile

3. asterion profile image68
    asterionposted 13 years ago

Buying during the last week of the month can help you get the best deal. Salesmen do have quotas and if they are close to hitting their goal they may push a little harder to get you sold.
      My best advice is to do your homework. Know what you want,as well as what you can afford. No one can take advantage of you if you know the facts.

4. howtosoftmod11 profile image60
    howtosoftmod11posted 13 years ago

be very patient and do a lot of research. I always go to my friends and ask for opinions too but make sure your asking the right friends.

try not to buy something on impulse remain calm and take your time with your choice

1. sklein profile image69
      skleinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take the emotional equation out of the purchase. Most people buy a vehicle on pure emotion. When that happens they usually make a bad decision and don't get the best deal. I say keep your emotions in neutral gear. By doing so you'll make a better decision and get a better deal.

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Probably the biggest thing I've found is the willingness to walk away from the deal.  Just flat say "No" and walk away.  I've had salesmen chase me out of the showroom with a better deal and I've had them call me hours or even days later with better offers.  They key, though, is to mean it - if the deal isn't good enough turn it down!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Works for me, too smile

The culprit though is to do your homework before you show up at a dealership, so you know what is a good deal and what is not. Shopping around helps quite a bit, too. smile

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  You should never let a salesman tell you the actual value of a car.  Find out yourself, and then beat it.

Interestingly, we have several used car lots around here that won't dicker.  The price is the price and when they give you a trade in value that's it.  They won't budge.  They seem to be doing alright - I think because many people won't do homework and won't say no.  As a result they always get the short end of the stick and that kind of lot works well for them.  Prices may be a little high, but not much, and are better than they can get elsewhere.

6. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 13 years ago

I just posted a hub about the pitfall of buying a used car. I mixed up with a crooked dealer. he ended up having to give me my down payment back when the DMV caught that I had not been told the car had been in a wreck. The box had not been checked indicating  I knew it. The dealer wanted me to check it after the fact, when I said no he had to refund my money.

So, I am back to looking for a car. But hopefully now I am armed with more knowledge.

7. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

The best thing I have found is to know exactly what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay, which means knowing your credit ahead of time, if you will need a loan.

When it comes to used vehicles, I prefer to buy from individuals.  I think one gets a better deal in the long run and you are more likely to get a complete history of the vehicle.  (The last vehicle we bought came with all the maintenance records.)

Otherwise, I agree with wilderness -- just walk away.  If the deal is not what you are looking for, leave.

8. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Mighty Mom's big three
    (agree with everything that's been said already, too).

1. Always check the Carfax report on the car. If you're going to be looking at a few cars, it's worth it to get the VIN number and pay the fee to subscribe to Carfax service.

2. Know the value of the car you're buying AND the car you're either selling or trading in. IMO it's always better to sell your car private party. You will get more $ for it.
    I had heard good things about Carmax so took my 2000 Mercedes there to sell. They told me they could only pay the "auction" price. I sold it PP and got $2,000 more than Carmax quoted me.

3. Always get a used car checked out by YOUR mechanic before you buy it. I've done this the right way and done it the wrong way (once being pressured by the "broker" I bought from to use the on-site mechanic). Unh uh. INSIST on having the car looked over by a mechanic of your choice that you trust.
    If the seller refuses, as wilderness says, walk away.

9. profile image58
    Ross Kposted 13 years ago

Carfax is not reliable.  Many cars have clean carfaxes but have been in some sort of accident.  If the owner does not report the accident or has repaired the damage sans insurance nothing with will show up.

The best way to have the car checked is do a PPI or Pre Purchase Inspection through an independent shop.

Always, always do research whether its pricing, options, financing etc.  You will always come out on top.  Go to the dealer as a "buyer" not a "shopper". 

Work with the sales manager or internet sales manager they have decision making approval.  Then you dont have to play "good cop, bad cop"

Remember dealers are a business and they have a right to make money.  Salesman are commissioned based.  The more sales the can do the better for them.  Dont waste their time and yours and its a "win win" situation.

10. Bizziebee profile image60
    Bizziebeeposted 13 years ago

Even if you are in a rush to purchase a vehicle, don't let that be apparent when visiting car dealerships. Also, if you think that you can pay off the car in the minimum time offered by the loan, do it! Don't get sucked into taking a loan that's longer than you need. Just my two cents smile

11. Idude607 profile image59
    Idude607posted 13 years ago

The best time to buy cars will be at the end of the year where dealerships are trying to unload on last year models. Yes, you wont be getting the latest "thing" but you could really SAVE a lot of money. As with any "big" purchase, make sure you do your homework first!

12. camilleW profile image58
    camilleWposted 12 years ago

Car shopping? Dealerships in California are good for working with. Whenever you need anything, mostly an automobile, they will help you. You can try out the Toyota Camry. It sells like insane because it is well-liked. The whole family will enjoy riding in this automobile. It will last for a long time and is very durable. You need to find an excellent dealership in California to help you find the vehicle. To locate a dealership with the vehicle, go to: http://cardealexpert.com/model/21326/2012-Toyota-Camry

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)