What motivates religious folk to bash innocent atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

To clarify, I am not an atheist, but I have seen some violence coming from religious folks that is to the extreme. Where an atheist will talk, a christian will pull a trigger. What makes one side any more innocent than any other way of thinking? They both have great points, some more practical than others. But on the same token, who really cares anymore? I think berating eachother over simple mind sets is childish and that we should have evolved passed this a long time ago.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd be interested to hear those "practical points" religions offer when compared with the practical and inevitable facts of reality?

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I see the atheist side to be more practical, as far rationality is concerned, I see religion as having it's place. However, as I always say "religion is but a tool of discussion and cannot be applied to any serious life style". This is to say that it in this way, I can talk all I want, it doesn't mean I can prove anything.

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image83
      Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha I wish we could rate threads as funny, nice to give people a taste of their own medicine.

3. profile image0
      ShadowKing!posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Answer: the devil makes them do it.

1. profile image0
        ShadowKing!posted 12 years agoin reply to this

MischeviousMe:
        "I can talk all I want, it doesn't mean I can prove anything."
        If this statement is meant to apply solely to you then, okay. But if you mean it as a general reality, then, it's absurd.

There are hordes of things that can be said and proven.
        As for, a religious belief, that all depends. No human can prove a "kingdom of heaven" exist through any humanly possible method. But the "eternal-burning hell of torment" espoused by Christianity and claimed to be a truth in the Bible can be shown to be false by analyzing the words of the Bible. Likewise, no person can prove an "eternal-burning hell" is real through analyzing the words of the Bible. But the concept can be proven false.

Basically, depending on what is said, it can be proven.

How can one prove the intangible? It cannot be proven that any after life exists, thus it is up to the seeker to figure it out for themselves. To decide whatever they decide, but to the atheists, it really doesn't matter, they just want the scientific side and the religious want the intangible side.

Religious folk bash atheists and vice versa. I could care either way, because I am neither, I just like to see what people have to say. It is out of curiosity that I pose any question or state a personal philosophy. What I can say with my mouth, may not be what I can say in my mind. My mind knows what it wants to say, but our brains are not wired to agree, they are wired for individuallity. I could no more covince you of my way than I can I can buy into believing everything I read or hear.

This does not make me an atheist, it just means I think I have it for me, not that I'm bragging, I just see things the way I do.

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

They even have faith insurance plan written in their holy text to keep atheists or agnostics or spiritualist away from criticizing the so-called holy text. That shows their opinion of freedom of speech which is one sided. If it affects your faith then it's slander not 'freedom of speech'. tongue Die infidels, It's word of god. wink

3. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I think that religious people bash atheists for the same reason people who claim to be atheists obstreperously bash religious people... because they are bored and have nothing better to do.

The Internet makes it easy for morons on every possible side (of which there are so many) to pipe in their two cents on the topic of religion. Nobody, not one of them, regardless of the position, is actually interested in learning from the other people piping in. It's simply about opposition by rote.

The responses you get for this "question" are going to come in a deluge of vain, conceited ideologues (if we're lucky--which we really won't be, but I have to pretend I'm an optimist) who are all certain of some marginally supported idiocy they read somewhere without bothering to validate and that they then decided preempts all the rest of the idiocy everyone else wrote who doesn't buy into that particular magic story... blah blah.

The only people who won't bring "truth" to this are those who A) don't have any because they don't care, and B) the ones who are clever enough to be patient and let the game play out waiting for their opportunity to slip their particular supernatural/magical/ghost/spiritual myth-story etc. into the conversation in some way that might pay off somehow, even if it is just bringing in another convert, which, in theory, proves "it's working" and stuff.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter what anyone says about whatever magic story they believe. Your question is just yet another example of attention-gathering approach to a topic that is not going to go away, but that, with endless attention from those who recognize how easy it is to garner an audience in this way, will continue to be a source of human strife. Please pay attention to us: we have lots of scary stuff to sell you that dates back to when humanity revolved around bronze metals and goat herding!!!!

Grats on that.

1. terced ojos profile image61
      terced ojosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am the qunitessential Christian Male.  I only attack you because I love you.  As I dear Lord And Saviour Jesus Christ has said. "Better that I attack you and you make it to heaven than your whole body end up in hell."....Amen....hallelujah.....

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that is almost exactly what the 53-year-old Muslim guys say when they defend their religiously sanctioned marriages to 10 year old girls. I imagine Catholic priests probably come up with some mumbo-jumbo along those lines to justify their decimation of children, etc.

I'm not even saying that all religious people are twisted, sick destroyers of humanity. I'm just saying that puking up some "blah blah, God, blah blah" that is in keeping with some absurd story that tries to simplify the world, and ignores every other culture on the planet from all of time (which are in the millions) who have their own stupid and easily disproven stories, is sort of evil in the end. To pretend (assume) that the story you decided to believe in out of the literally hundreds of thousands of religious explanations produced by humans since they got the ability to report such things is... well... it's just ... fantastically arrogant, blind, and, ultimately, unravels the very stories you hope people will buy. Everyone who is actually trying to pay attention to the real world as it actually happens is rolling their eyes and wishing the f-ing religious people would stop blowing up coffee shops, buildings, and schools as much as they wish they would stop telling people who they can marry, what they can do with their wombs, and how they can approach the 50 to 100 years they get on this very flawed planet.

The fact that religious people find this attitude an "attack on religion" only proves how despotic they really wish they could have it. How dare people resist our prescriptive morality!!!!!

So, wars and death and mass graves are probably going to keep going. I haven't seen any evidence that the American Christians are going to be any more forgiving (cheek turning... <sigh>) than the guys who think they'll get 70 virgins. (Why in god's name would you want to be stuck in eternity with 70 virgins?... I mean, sure, a few is nice, but... I mean, dear god, can't I get at least four or five strippers too? Please?  All virgins?  <sigh>).

1. terced ojos profile image61

...and yes I was just being facetious.  Exaggerating to make a ridiculous perspective all the more ridiculous.  There are so many Christians who pray that God is going to hurt people who are other than what they are just so they can say "...seeee I told ya, I told ya God would strike you down and hurt you and your family and I was right....HaHahahahahah I was right..you shoulda listened; you shoulda listened it serves you right you sinner; you awful sinner...God loves you though......"

3. profile image0
        Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Book, chapter, verse, please.

4. profile image0
        Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@tercid ojos: That quote just makes me want to be an atheist even more...

1. profile image0
          Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*terced

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

3. terced ojos profile image61

LOLLOLOLOL....please see above......

4. terced ojos profile image61

LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...hmmmm.....I am a Christian though but like all Christians we choose the doctrines we believe in and we assign degrees of importance to those doctrines. Hence all of the denominations and Christian in fighting and name calling.

Basically I choose the all loving, turn the other cheek, all forgiving. Feeding the poor providing for the homeless, unconditionally loving Jesus. 

Trust me any Christians reading this will throw a ton of bible verses at what I just said to somehow lend credibility as to how what they believe is the truth.  Not one of those Christians will see their particular perspective of bible doctrine as wrong. 

In any case Danielly there is a God.  How we see God and interact with God well that's another matter altogether.

I wasn't raised a Christian in a Christian home; I will tell you that at a very age I knew God existed.  It is something I never questioned.

Now what God is and how God operates and all the many questions I would later form as a matter of living on this planet; those would come later.

Most people know that God exists; the existence of God is something that is felt innately by all human beings. The question is always how do we then communicate with this being.  The ways we communicate are many and varied.

I'm not suggesting you become a Christian.  I am whole heartedly encouraging you to pursue God in your own way. May you spiritual journey fulfill that part of you that all human beings seek.  Some part of me knows that such a pursuit is never in vain.

4. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

I have been hoping someone would post this just to annoy the extremists for posting that other one smile

Why thank you. I intended to annoy because on some level it makes them question themselves. This why they get angry, because when a rational argument is posed, they need to understand it, but they can't so, they argue until they do or get tired of trying. Someone needs to show people that the world will change, with or without them.

1. lone77star profile image73
        lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For those religious folk who do the bashing, provoking as you've done is a good thing. Hopefully it will shake them up and wake them up. But don't forget to look in the mirror. (That's for all of us!)

@mischeviousme, I don't think anyone on this planet is "innocent."

Ego is the culprit. And everyone who thinks of "I" or "self" has an ego. That's what leads any folk (religious, atheist, agnostic, etc.) to bash, ridicule or otherwise place themselves above others.

Extreme anything is pretty annoying.

Amen

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I resolve to be bashless in 2012. Some demented humor might slip though, but that will be it. big_smile

6. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5938825_f248.jpg

I blame global warming.

1. Michele Travis profile image67
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am a Christian, and if I have insulted you,  I am sorry.   None of us are perfect.  But, I really don't mean to insult anyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)