Asking the Universe

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

A Spiritualist friend of mine believes strongly in asking the universe for what she wants, and really believes that she will receive what she asks for.  Strangely, it seems like it works.

For instance, she wanted a new fridge.  Her old one was part of a built-in kitchen which is hidden behind a door.  Any fridge  therefore needed to fit exactly.  She therefore asked the universe for a fridge.  Later that day, she was walking past a house, when a stranger came out and walked up to her.  He said, "Do you want a fridge love?"  He explained that he needed to get rid of a new fridge, for which he didn't want any money.  She looked at it and it was exactly the size she needed. 

This sort of thing happens ever time she askes for something.  And I do wonder if it is coincidence or evidence of some force at work.

1. peterxdunn profile image60
      peterxdunnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then ask her to ask for peace on Earth. We could do with some.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't work in asking for things for others.  It would work collectively (as in asking for world peact) but we can only ask for and believe for ourselves.

Oh right. The spirits only answer our beseechings when we are being selfish and asking for something material. Can I have a new computer then please? The one of I've got is a bit knackered.

Thanks in advance.

Why would you discount this?  One of the oldest commonly know phrases is 'ask and it shall be given...' and so on.  How about 'seek and ye shall find'?.  These phrases didn't become common out of nowhere.  There's nothing selfish about believing we can do better, have a better life.  If we want to be helpful to others, the way to do this is something like "let me find a way that I can be helpful to so and so'  not 'please help so and so'.  It's really all in the wording but we can't literally 'pray' for someone else.

Because I know where the word spirit comes from and what it means.

Please elaborate.

Spirit comes from the latin spiritus. It means 'moving air, breath or wind' (as in the wind that blows). In Latin bibles spirit was used to replace the Hebrew 'ruah or ruach' in the OT: where again the meaning was'moving air, breath or wind' In Greek bibles and the NT the word used was 'pneuma': which again meant  'moving air, breath or wind'.

Nowhere in the bible is spirit used to indicate the diembodied essence of a person that survives death.

That concept comes from the Greek 'shade' and the Germanic 'geist' which became 'gast, ghast and finally ghost'. Priests incoporated ghosts or spirits into their bible teachings because, in Europe, the Germanic tribes wouldn't let go of their tradition of ancestor worship.

So as far as I am concerned spiritualism is a con trick that takes advantage of people at a vulnerable time in their lives: ie when they are newly bereaved. So be advised - do not, under any circumstances, come anywhere near me with your rubbish. I would have you all put in prison.

1. Don W profile image82
                    Don Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you say what you mean next time peter, this comment seems a bit ambiguous.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

I can't comment on spiritualism as such.  I do know that whatever we put our minds and our hearts to grows in our lives whether its for positive or negative.  Consider the placebo affect.  One believes it so one gets well. Just a small example but it does work.  If someone just says 'I want a million dollars, it won't likely come but if someone puts their heart and mind into some amount of money they reasonably believe is possible for them to attain, the way will present itself.

2. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this
    2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well now... I'll get back to you on this...

3. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's very interesting... I don't imagine we can explain it exactly, but I know there are some ideas on the subject...

One idea involves the existence of more dimensions and parallel universes. Each universe is a branch of every possibility of existence, and the idea is we perceive which existence we want to. Not to say we are perfect or even conscious of it, but maybe some people are more aware of it than others.

Law of attraction... God... Self-manifestation... I guess I should try that with my dishwasher, I'm tired of using the sink.

Does she talk to you about *how* she asks for things? Is it just a thought, or does she ask for it in a certain state of mind?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd love a new dishwasher, too-hint, hint. Wilfion.

It is strange though, years ago I worked with a born again christian who always believed that god would provide. He didn't have much money and two small children. Whatever he needed though, someone always helped out. He'd always say, "see god will provide" Nice really.

2. profile image0
        Wilfionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She actually asks out loud.  She also needed a new three-piece suite, but could not afford one.  She asked the universe, and the phone then rang.  It was her nephew, who said he was phoning from a pub, where he was talking to a woman he had just met there.  He went on to mention that she had bought a suite two months before for £1,000, but was trying to sell it for £75, because she no longer liked it.  It was exactly the colour and shape she had imagined.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't doubt it. I'm sure this happens to people. May be the trick is to ask for what you need rather than what you want.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
            lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha what a lucky person.. big_smile

3. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One should ask from an Intelligent Being instead?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or, at the very least, an honest being.

4. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ask and you shall receive if one ask in faith remains absolute...works every time all the time.

So it not surprising that these things occur..

What is deceitful is that faith is not always present unto to those whom is works unto sometimes.

So therefore They appears as if theirs is the faith, deceiving thereby others..

Truth belongs to the one who shows a man that Faith belongs to the man of himself and by Himself and needs not another...

And Faith belongs to Him and those.

5. S M Bilal Shah profile image60
      S M Bilal Shahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've gotten things by asking Allah for them.......so many other religions and gods out there, and all of them seem to listen and give to those who believe. So what do you make of that?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

Many religions, yes. But probably only one "God". And "He" probably doesn't really care what "He" is called.

1. S M Bilal Shah profile image60
          S M Bilal Shahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

probably right

6. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who or what does she ask first, before asking "the universe"?

1. profile image0

My friend is a Spiritualist, so, believes that the universe has a spiritual dimension to it.  Spiritualists ask their deceased relations for help, as well as their spirit guides, most of which seem to be Native Americans.

1. profile image0

I meant....to whom or through what method does she hint to somebody (or advertise for or request from) that she wants a particular item?
          Because....I don't really believe she always gets what she asks for without having given someone a clue that she needs that particular item or whatever.

1. profile image0

Well, she swears that it is spirit and the universe she asks, and that things just fall into place.  She was offered the fridge by a total stranger, as she was walking past his house.

1. profile image0

Okay.  I have no way of disputing that, then, no matter if I do still find it unbelievable.

7. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why does she deal in petty things like fridges when she has the power to change the world?

Or, does she actually have any power at all?

Without power the fridge would be no good to her.

Unless - that is - her spirit guide pays the electricity bill as well.

2. Maria van Olphen profile image60
        Maria van Olphenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not her responsibility to ask for someone else.. maybe that is why she has mastered the art of getting what she asks for because it is what she wants to ask..

If you want the world to change, it is not a one man task..

2. Maria van Olphen profile image60
    Maria van Olphenposted 12 years ago

Nothing happens by accident, and nothing is coincidental. You friend is well intuned with her vibrations. She knows how to allow things to be given to her.

Here is how it works: When you ASK, it is GIVEN. There is even a book titled ASK AND IT IS GIVEN, by Abraham-Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks. If you get this book, it will explain how it things happen, by Law of Attraction.

When you ask, it is always given. Sometimes what you ask is held in a vibrational escrow, waiting for you to allow it into your life. You have to be in alignment of that vibration in order to receive it.

The quickest way to allow things to happen to you is this - Relax and allow it to happen. Learn to not think. It is when you are busy thinking that you stress yourself and worry. If you can't meditate, sleep. When you are asleep, you are not thinking..

Be happy. I am willing to bet, your friend is a happy person. She is positive and confident, always expecting.. because she knows it is hers to ask.

Get the book and you will know what I am talking about..

Yes, there are many more books on the subject and many "masters" and advocates of this type of thought process.  You attract what you think about most.  The key word here is most.  Passing thoughts don't usually manifest unless they pass by quite often.  If it is hard and a struggle, it's not the right path for you.  It should be easy, it should flow, the thought process that is.

3. optimus grimlock profile image62
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

Universe can I have a few million dollars?

I'd settle for a 100K.

1. profile image0

I've tried that one myself, but it hasn't worked.  I usually get the opposite of what I ask for.  I think my fairy godmother must be a trainee.

1. CMHypno profile image81
          CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's probably because you are concentrating on the lack of what you are asking for. So if you want a new car, only think about what type of car you want, how much fun it would be to drive it etc.  Don't think about how it is going to come into your life, how bad you feel because you haven't got the car you want or anything about lack.  Think like you already have it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Also, you don't really believe you'll get it or deserve it.  If you really believed it, doors would open up leading you in the direction to receive.  A million dollars falling into your lap is unlikely but not impossible.  More likely would be an idea or path which would lead you to getting that million.

Children are starving all over the world. They are all fervently wishing to be fed. Why is this? They don't want much. Should they wish for a fridge full of food?

The only way I can answer this in keeping with the OP is that they are mired in the belief of their current existence.  They don't know any way out therefore do not know how to ask for a way out.  They believe they cannot find food therefore do not find any.  I'm just playing the other side of the debate, not being unsympathetic to the plight of the world.

3. peterxdunn profile image60

Really! You asked for a million dollars and then got mugged?

????

4. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

Dear Universe,
    Can you please arrange it that whenever I need to pay for something, all I have to do is put my hand in my pocket and find exactly the right amount of money required.

Your dearest little star
    DH
    XXX

P.S. You look great this evening.

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Dear Universe,

Please stop fkg with me. I believe that I have more than paid for every egregious thing I have ever done. Especially so, since most of them were due to stupidity and were not intentional.

And, yes. I have noticed that you haven't done anything really mean to me in the last month. I very much appreciate that. I hope it is the new trend and not just an interlude.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely yours,

-JustAnotherLabRat

1. emrldphx profile image60

It's been a better month for you too?

The last 3 years have been such a struggle, I'm hoping this is the new tone of things to come.

If nothing bad happens for a second month in a row, I'm going to laminate and frame that other post. lol

Haha. Let's hope it works out for both of us. Mine involves my wife's worker's comp issue. She was fired over it, and sent to 3 doctors who all confirmed her injury. The insurance company kept saying for months 'the check is in the mail, we just mailed it, we'll mail it on Friday'. Finally we hired a lawyer, and our first 2 checks showed up!

They are still 2 months behind, but if we get all that in this next month I'll be giddy.

Imagine how much people could accomplish if they didn't have to spend over half their time fighting off the fools, incompetents, and wolves.

Working together? Yeah... maybe we should try that for once...

I think it's interesting... most religious teachings are messages of acceptance and love, yet so much fighting over them.

6. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I know of someone, who had had a bad time of it, and after seeing the film 'The Secret' asked the universe for a break.  Not long after, he was in an accident, in which he broke his neck.  So, it is important to be careful what we ask for.

Well, I reread my other post. I guess now I'm never going to get laid again...

1. autumn18 profile image57
        autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

7. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

I think this is what you are talking about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosmic-Ordering … amp;sr=1-1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)