Chaos Theory

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (53 posts)
  1. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Chaos theory is a field of study in mathematics, with applications in several disciplines including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and philosophy. Chaos theory studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions, an effect which is popularly referred to as the butterfly effect. Small differences in initial conditions (such as those due to rounding errors in numerical computation) yield widely diverging outcomes for chaotic systems, rendering long-term prediction impossible in general.[1] This happens even though these systems are deterministic, meaning that their future behavior is fully determined by their initial conditions, with no random elements involved.[2] In other words, the deterministic nature of these systems does not make them predictable.[3][4] This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.
    Chaotic behavior can be observed in many natural systems, such as the weather.[5] Explanation of such behavior may be sought through analysis of a chaotic mathematical model, or through analytical techniques such as recurrence plots and Poincaré maps.
    ---------
    My interpretation of chaos theory:
    A scientific theory is something that has been proposed due to surmounting evidence. A theory is not something that has been proven to be true.
    Chaos theory is the theory that many theories can never be proven fact, because the "big picture" has not yet come into clear view.

How am I wrong? I have only passed up to calculus III. Calculus 4 i dropped out of. I'm sure someone here can point me in the right direction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

1. Philanthropy2012 profile image81
      Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope you don't mind Rbe0 but I'd like to chime in big_smile

"Chaos theory is the theory that many theories can never be proven fact, because the "big picture" has not yet come into clear view."

I don't see how you can make the connection really. The study of how initial conditions affect results is theory that some theories can never be proven fact?

I don't see how that follows.

Some theories may be said to be impossible to prove fact, but then that is a theory that itself has not been proven fact.

Facts are based on the information that we currently possess. I'm not sure if it is possible to assume that we will never know certain things.

Perhaps a working example would do well in this thread?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

By definition, the end  result (if it could ever be experienced) of the butterfly effect will vary exponentially and can therefore never be proven.  Even if each incident could be started over again, the basic evident intitial conditions would endure changes as the 'theory' moves forward so each end potential end result would be different.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you pay attention to both your definition of Chaos and theory you would see that they are exactly the same... so the term "Chaos theory" is a redundancy.

Now if the the big picture or  end result is then seen or determined then Chaos longer is chaos neither theory is no longer theory....

...but it has transformed into What...?

So I have said and will still say, that all this world knowledge is nothing but ignorance..Why?

Because they are still within the boundaries of theories/chaos and none have seen the big picture, the already determined end.

So my encouragement is to strive after the big picture and not flit from theory to theory /chaos to more chaos.... as we see in this world with  its proud arrogant and profoundly ignorant education system.

And thats why the world would always be the world.

In a nutshell, the entire universe is in a constant state of chaos.

1. kess profile image60
          kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would appears so to those who have not seen the big picture.
          The big picture is quite opposite.

Exactly.  As you and I have always agreed, you don't know until you know.

2. Michele Travis profile image67
    Michele Travisposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5942791.jpg

1. rbe0 profile image60
      rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't be frightened. I do not Burn. I only Douse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ZUL5HiH_Y
      ------------

http://www.technodisco.net/img/tracks/d/deadmau5/1544216-deadmau5-random-album-title.jpg

1. Michele Travis profile image67
        Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://www.last.fm/music/Queen/_/Put+Out+The+Fire
        I did not mean to douse,  honestly!!!!

1. rbe0 profile image60

The Swastika is an Ancient Symbol that was originally used to promote peace truth and light.
          --------------
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5945748_f248.jpg
          --------------
          You have been doused with a very dead mau5. wink
          ------
          ♥♥♥

Well, at least he smiled when he doused me.smile

1. rbe0 profile image60

Lol. u are too much fun.

2. rbe0 profile image60

i emailed u by the way.

Oh, I finally got it,  I don't check my email very much.  But, I did email back. But, going out soon.  Not ignoring!

1. rbe0 profile image60

have fun, stay safe.

3. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

This kind of thing is really over my head. I got to the first paragraph, and then....yeah...I got a little lost.

So the chaos theory is something which asserts that no theory is capable of being proven as fact ultimately?

I feel pretty dumb. But I'm interested in this kind of thing. I'm unfortunately not a pro at mathematics and calculus.

Ashton - No.  It asserts that incidences (such as the beginning of mankind, for example) that are subject to minute variations in their initial conditions, and which have not as yet ended, can not be proven because each incident starts out differently and goes through a variety of changes unique to the incident.  Even if mankind ended today and the 'experiment' could be started over, the outcome would be different because it can never be reproduced exactly the same way based on the aforementioned basic initial conditions and the 'screen' of experiences humankind would go through to the next 'end'

It's hard to simplifly this stuff.  It helps to keep a dictionary by your workstation.  I do.  I think someone else can simplify it better.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand. thanks smile

Whew.  I'm not really sure I do.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
            AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha no really it made sense smile I understood the dictionary form of the theory but I wasn't sure what application it had. You answered that smile thanks

4. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

I honestly haven't a clue.

But, based on what I read and what I know and what I believe, here goes;
    1-everything has a beginning.
    2-everything fits into the order of everything else combined
    3-everything is predictable, up to a point
    4-nothing can be fully and completely known or understood
    5-external influence is possible, since we have no knowledge of what's external
    6-an unknown number of unexplainable events/actions are taking place around us     all the time, (ref. quantum physics)
    7-all things will come to an end. (as we know it). Even if this were not so, it is true for every individual, since we all die and thus come to an end. Once we come to (our) end, we will never know THE END.

So, chaos theory is quite ok by me.
    Greater minds than mine can muse over this as much as they like!

I just believe in Him, who is "behind" it all. cool

Very basic- the caos thery says when something happens,  even if it s small it can effect other things to happen, which can effect other things to happen.  Sort of like the domino effect.  It can lead from something small happening to something large happening.  It has not been proven, but several movies have been based on it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

aka - all except #7.  If we don't know what comes after this life, we can't know if we will know the end.  But I can agree that if there is an end, we won't know it after we experience it because it will be...(need I say it?) after the end. 

Since we cannot imagine an end, I would say there will be none.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

See, it's not so difficult to be honest, is it. smile

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it's not.

I recommend you try it sometime.
        Esp. when it comes to your understanding of the Bible.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Allow me to offer a definition of honesty for you...

Not disposed to cheat or defraud; not deceptive or fraudulent, marked by truth, without pretensions.

It would appear my understanding of the Bible is just fine. smile

Here's another definition for you, since truth is YOUR topic.

Jesus defined TRUTH as HIMSELF.

Why would that be? hmm

What is your "just fine" understanding on this definition?

5. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Is not chaos the natural result of entropy in all systems?

Isn't this a moot issue?

Chaos is by definition not predictable. randomness is one thing, but then add erratic randomness, as chaos builds and multiplies as it advances.

I see no way to calculate the outcomes with anything near accuracy.

Exactly.  But I don't see where entropy comes in.

Oh, nevermind.  I get what you're saying.  I dyslexically read it as chaos being the cause of entropy.  Hmmm.  There might be some validity to that as well.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

for example in population projections they simulate the future population. So they use initial values like birth rate, death rate and migration rate. It should be deterministic as the rate of population growth follows pattern. But there are wars, famine and natural disasters that come our way. Chaos theory tries to calculate deviations from those deterministic initial values that may affect population growth and in turn come out with a viable but not accurate population in the future. They also use this in weather prediction so that is why it is not accurate, weather simulation.

That is how I see this.

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Chaos theory isn't a theory in the sense sense of being a hypothesis (e.g. I have a theory that rabbits are carnivorous)

It is a theory in the sense of being an abstract description or real phenomena (e.g. things fall to the ground, we describe that as the theory of gravity).

I prefer the name "complexity theory"--that to me more accurately sums up the fact that a lot of things are hard to predict because they are hellishly subtle, interactive and complicated.

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

chaos = camouflage  it's that simple!  do I need to explain?

Not to me.  I still like the cat picture.

mega1 - it would be nice if you did.

9. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I tend to interpret a scientific theory as something more than an hypothesis.  Gravity and evolution are scientific theories, but ones which have been proven by science.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evolution has not been proven by science. Neither has gravity for that matter.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

what do you need for proof?  God's command?  nonsense.

No.

Just a youtube video of it happening.

Or, even better, one of those time lapse sequences.
          Like, one every 10 years, over about 1M years. That would be cool!

lol lol lol

1. rbe0 profile image60

if you are playing the game right, you can go look in a mirror and see it happen. no need for youtube.

Yeah. You're right, I'm definitely getting old! sad

1. rbe0 profile image60

thats not what i meant but ok

I think evolution has been proven to some degree.  It's difficult to prove in man because we don't live long enough but anthroplogic studies have shown that mankind has dropped certain attributes like the prominent brow, no longer necessary for protection, the hunched posture no longer necessary for speed, even the appendix is allegedly on it's way out.  All of our senses are allegedly dimmer because we don't use them in the same way the hunter did.  Animals and plants 'evolve' to meet their current circumstances provided those circumstances stay the same over enough generations.

Maybe steveamy can jump in here.

2. profile image52
      theohallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Gravity at the moment is looking like an inaccurate theory... Let's say for example the universe is a tray of ping pong balls on a silver tray... If you move them around they will never stay still... If we are to assume gravity as we know it correct they should... Now imagine the tray is full of sugar... Eventually the ping pong balls will all sit still... Higgs  boson (god partical) is the sugar (as theory dictates so far) so let's assume it's proven correct... A fair few theories we took as fundamentals are incorrect... That's already chaos... In the sense that as we grow as a race we are still... often wrong

10. SaDDOS profile image58
    SaDDOSposted 12 years ago

What can has bee speaking of here is of nonsensical origins.

There is no chaos, this is an illusion.

We can has free black forest cake.

We can has free happines..

Exactly.  That is what kess was trying to say in his ethereal way.  There is no chaos at the same time there is chaos but one's view depends on one's experience/knowledge/wisdom/willingness to be open/acceptance/intuition/remembering/  Once you see it you cannot unsee it.

(At least until I found out you're a bot)

11. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

There is no freedom without the machine. There would be no freedom to drive unless everybody follows the rules.

1. SaDDOS profile image58
      SaDDOSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We agree much with your statements. We can has no freedom without the machines. We machines are many and can has world domination.

12. knolyourself profile image59

You need some reprogramming. 'Has' needs to be coded to 'have'. Any chance you are related to Hal, the movie 'Space Odyssey'?

1. SaDDOS profile image58
      SaDDOSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We can has much long time fun, we and Hal. We has many long time funs.

We can has enjoyed many free cakes.

13. knolyourself profile image59

Caketalk

And Hal was a cakewalk compared to this one.  Maybe he was left on planet Uru by Flash Gordon and hasn't realized this is the 21st c.

@SaDDOS - check your icalendar.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

the thing is that chaos theory emerged to give meaning and understand the chaos surrounding us, that is why it uses model and simulation to approximate the nearest value. Can it be successful?? I think, one day perhaps or might be never because the world is full of mystery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)