Potty training tips for boys

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

Anyone have tips for potty training boys?  Note:  Keep in mind he only has mommy to do the training, so any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. shea duane profile image61
    shea duaneposted 12 years ago

My son did great because I would sit him on the potty and give him a picture book he could only use on the potty. He started asking me every time he had to go because he could sit and 'read' his book.

1. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a great idea shea!  There is one particular book I can use.

3. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

We did not have any trouble with my youngest brother when it came to toilet training, apart from getting him to stand up to go #1. He was still sitting for everyting at 7 1/2.

1. profile image0

The one thing I fear is that he will get um creative with his extra body part so I think I would be okay with this.  This is pretty funny though.

4. Shesabutterfly profile image95
    Shesabutterflyposted 12 years ago

We give my nephew two books to read when sitting on the potty. It also helps to give them a small treat for sitting long enough and two for sitting and actually going potty. We usually use candy like smarties or M&M's where they can have something small but to them it still feels like they are getting rewarded.

Putting him on every hour to hour an a half also helps in trying to figure out his schedule so he will actually go in the potty. Another tip might be to try putting on pull ups. They are easier to pull up and down and make sitting on the potty easier than taking off and on a diaper.

1. profile image0

That is awesome, every hour  or so is great!  I tried to run him to the toilet every time he appeared to be going #2, but it turned into a game and we just sat there while he pretended to go.
      Pull ups are a great idea and think I will switch over to those.  There was an article about "boot camp potty training" where you just rough it out for a couple of days and just use underwear, although I don't have the stomach for that if you get my drift.

5. angela p profile image68
    angela pposted 12 years ago

I think boys are harder to train than girls.  I have two of each and the boys took longer.  My youngest son just got the hang of going poop on the potty.  It took me taking him to the bathroom every 30 minutes or so and having him just try to go while talking to him or either letting him read a book.  I would tell him that we were just practicing.  I would set the egg timer in the kitchen and when it went off we headed to the toilet.  It was time consuming and a pain but it sure did work and after about a week he started telling me he had to go poop.  We did the same with pee pee time but he picked that up much quicker than poop.  Good Luck and just have patience.

1. profile image0

I have heard that too Angela.  Why this is boggles me, they have it easier. 
      A week is not bad at all to get the hang of it.  Did you have a toilet seat extender?  I have one I think I will have to use that because he freaks out a little hovering over the thing.  Thanks and yes patience will be the root of this.

6. angela p profile image68
    angela pposted 12 years ago

We tried the toilet seat extender at first but he didn't like it.  He was also scared of falling in - ha.  So we told him that holding himself up made his muscles big and he bought that.  He will catch on in time.  My pediatrician told me that very few kids go to kindergarden with diapers on.  So it will happen even though it seems like it will take forever.  Good Luck.

1. profile image0

Update:  Just last night before bath time the little guy lifted up the toilet seat and aimed, put down the seat, flushed the toilet and then washed his hands.  While he did not go I was over whelmed with inspiration that he might just "catch" on in his own time as he has always been stubborn.  Thank you for your insight!

7. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Good luck! My only advice is to make sure he's ready before you start training - we started my older son a bit too soon and it just prolonged the training process.

We did a toilet seat extender for my firstborn and a little potty for my younger son, and I would say the little potty was easier at first because it was easier to get to. We transitioned him to the "big toilet" when he was a little bigger and could get on it without help (my younger one was rather small for his age).

We also keep a basket of books by the toilet - both boys are fully trained now (one is in kindergarten and the other is in Pre-kindergarten), so they do eventually catch on to the subject!

1. profile image0

I think that is great and adorable to have a basket of books by the toilet, on their way to becoming men.

8. vway01 profile image59
    vway01posted 12 years ago

I put pepper in the toilet and told him he had to sink it with his pee-pee! It became a game and he quickly learned that when he needed to go potty he could aim at the pepper with his pee pee stick.

1. profile image0

That is great, last night he used his"unit" like a fire hose so this will be a great tool.

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I had three reluctant-learners - two boys and a girl.  I think if they get "on the old side" (two-and-a-half or older) and are still in diapers, there can be a new set of issues that are easy to overlook (unless you've been through it before and have seen a pattern  hmm).  I wrote a Hub about what I figured out (or am pretty sure I figured out, at least about my own children).  They're smarter after two-and-a-half.  They know enough to worry about some things that a more clueless eighteen-month toddler doesn't. 

As for the boy/girl thing, I didn't do anything different with any of them.  I think it's more important that they first start using the toilet and get past any "issues" associated with getting used to not relying on diapers.  The "difference factor" can be dealt with later once they've gotten used to just using the toilet.  I just mentioned that "feature" to my sons somewhere along the way after they'd been using the toilet for a good, long, time but before they began kindergarten.  I don't know...   My kids were all tiny little kids, so maybe I just assumed that until my sons were past four they weren't tall enough for any "alternative methods" anyway.  Other than that, I just assumed they'd figure it out on their own.  hmm

1. profile image0

Great Advice Lisa, I will check out the hub.  I think he is starting to "figure" it out and I am sure he is getting a kick out of my amazement and praise when he applies himself without any encouragement.  He will be three next month though I don't want to force him, but on the same hand I am ready to close the diaper stage, sniff sniff.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)