Should Ron Paul's age matter?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Ron Paul will be 77 if he wins the Presedential Election (assuming he gets the Republican's nod) - will this be an issue? The job is a very difficult one for a young man in his prime, what will it do to Ron Paul?

I'm not commenting on his ability to rule - I just wonder what an 81 year old Paul will be like after 4 years in the hardest job in the world.

(Ronald Reagon was the oldest president at inauguration - at 69.)

1. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Winston Churchill was in his 70s, when he led Britain in its darkest hour.  His age was never a concern, as he had the right attitude needed at that time.

2. JamesPoppell profile image73
      JamesPoppellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Age is just a number. It is what you make of it. My answer is no, it does not matter.

3. capricornrising profile image60
      capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not age that's Paul's problem. It's the fact that he's unpresidential. This is how both JFK and Reagan triumphed over the opposition. They looked amazing on television - charming, articulate, eloquent - presidential.

2. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

His age has nothing to do with anything...

If he was good enough to work on Abe Lincoln's campaign, he's good enough for me

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Yes it should matter and does his choice for VP. If something happens to him and he becomes unfit for command, then it falls on the VP. hmm

4. steveamy profile image60
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

It should all matter....

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you think everything about a person should matter when they run for office, then you're saying that their skin color should also matter.

1. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, libertarians are the racists Evan.

Age already matters. You have to be 35 to run for president. I know that drives libertarians wild, but then, that is why they are libertarians!

The religion of economic anarchy just can't cope with the real world.

Not only is your post COMPLETELY off topic, but it's incorrect.

Ho hum.

5. Greek One profile image64

Reagan was half-dead during his second term...

do you really want Mrs. Paul to be President like Ms. Wilson was?

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, what are her views on legalizing marijuana?

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having once dated Johnny Appleseed, she is inclined to favor any type of mass crop planting

1. kirstenblog profile image79
          kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds okay to me then, I'm a tree hugging plant loving hippie so at least we would have one common value tongue

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you seen what she does to fish ?!!!

yikes

no but i am VERY curious to know

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

http://t1.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/06/65/38/400_F_6653884_4pmJ5ZKU5HLBk9nEzwtqZ7B02IUY2hSw.jpg

6. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Of course it shouldn't matter.  But fortunately there are plenty of other reasons not to vote for him.

7. Moderndayslave profile image59
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

No,it doesn't matter. Has anyone heard any rumors of a VP candidate?

Rumor has it Paul is considering Alexander Hamilton as a running mate... since they have been close friends since way back in High School

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/burr/hamilton5.jpg

Ron Paul and Hamilton would NOT be on the same ticket.

Patrick Henry would make a MUCH better running mate than Hamilton.

Just because Hamilton wasnt born in the US, eh? 

tongue

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/08/Betty-White-Starring-in-Hot-In-Cleveland.jpg

8. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

Better the right person at any age than the wrong person at any age.

One develops strategies for dealing with bodily and mental infirmity like letting the young folks around you do more work, and just concentrating on what is important.

9. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

Frankly, if Romney has any sense, he'll pick Ron Paul as his running mate. Could be deadly for the president.

However, I'm sure the RNC prefers he pick an appropriate successor, and I'm afraid Paul ain't it.

I heard Romney say that he supports NDAA fully...

... I'm not even sure that I would vote for Romney if he had Paul as a VP.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evan, did you catch Ron Paul's latest endorsement? Not bad for a 76-year-old!!

1-17-12"The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell" Reports that the "Pimps and Prostitutes Coalition" is endorsing Ron Paul for President

As if Stephen Colbert's SuperPac doesn't provide enough humor to the current shootout for the Republican nomination, Lawrence O'Donnell reported tonight that the Pimps and Prostitutes Coalition has endorsed Ron Paul for the nomination. Dennis Hof, proprietor of the Midnight Bunny Ranch in Nevada, who appeared with two of his "bunnies" on O'Donnell's show said "We're pimpin' for Paul." Cami Parker, former Hustler centerfold, and Caressa Kisses said they believe Paul will do a wonderful job for the country because he supports states rights for prostitution and because he "wants to keep the Internet free."

LOL, yeah. Prostitutes love Ron Paul.

They get a pretty good deal when it's legal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqopE7lW … re=related

Lawrence O'Donnell's piece on the prostitutes was a hit job against Paul. He quoted the newsletters and claimed that ROn Paul had said them. This isn't true.

However, he redeemed himself here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcn15iZSjQo

He raked AP across the coals.

True. O'Donnell is a straight shooter. Limbaugh, et al, would never do that. He would just spread the lies.

The secondary point of my post was that O'Donnell actually made a mistake and said that Ron Paul said things he didn't say.

2. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just FYI Ralph, if you decide to come to Nevada to check out the bunny ranch. Prostitution is illegal in Las Vegas and Reno. Just FYI! smile smile smile

Isn't the Bunny Ranch near Vegas and legal? (I've never set foot in Vegas.)

Moonlite Bunny Ranch:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlite_BunnyRanch

Counties with/without prostitution:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada

(I would never have found this out if not for Wikipedia and google)

Thanks for clearing that up, Evan. I'll file it away for future reference.

When it comes to prostitutes and Ron Paul, you can count on me!

... wait...

10. Greek One profile image64

my experiences in Vegas indicate that you do not have to go far to the Bunny Ranch to find someone who will sell their bodies for money....

my experience with politicians is that they are willing to sell the souls for much less

11. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

No. In the unfunny situation Americans now find themselves as long as he was physically fit and mentally alert 97 would be alright.

12. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

Gladstone became Prime Minister for the fourth time at 82, and served two years. He died five years later.
    So with the adances in medical science since then it is perfectly feasible for Dr Paul to serve 8 years.

Gladstone was interested in reforming prostitutes and trawled the London streets looking for prostitutes to help. This decency was misunderstood. So in some areas Dr Paul should not emulate Gladstone.

Legalizing Prostitution actually would be a great service for women's rights.

NO - I'm not saying women should be hookers.

But when they choose to do so, they don't have to have an abusive pimp beating them. The link I posted earlier in this forum shows that, when legalized, things can be dealt with very humanely and safely.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)