White Space

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Ok, I apologize for bringing this up again, but I cannot find the original thread in which I asked, and other threads on the matter say "inactive--do not post."

Sooo... MY problem seems to be the opposite of what other folks are asking about white space--they want to eliminate it.

I WANT white space to be able to be forced in, for visual effect in many of my poems.  I do not want everything slammed against the left margin.
    Some of my older poems, I managed this, but something changed since then.  If I try to edit those, when I re-save the capsule, my formatting is gone, and everything is left-aligned, and I cannot get my original formatting back.

I asked about this once before, and someone instructed that you could surround the formatted text with < pre > and < /pre > (minus the spaces, of course) , using the html editing section. 
    However, that doesn't work, either.  I tried it, and it is not an accepted command; it gives an error message and says the html has to be "cleaned up."

Now, I realize full well that HP is mainly an article site, and not a poetry site.  That said, it would be appreciated if we could have the option to add extra spacebar inputs, and have those "respected."

I'm not a programmer, (I learned only a teensy smattering of 'basic' back in the early 1980's), but for those who are, I do not think this would be a difficult matter, to put an "if/then" type command to maintain author-input white space.
    Pretty please?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just to be clear on what you want to do. Are you looking to do:

Ex 1

(Space) Poem Starts Here

Ex 2

(Space)
      Poem
      (Space)
      Poem

There is a special formatting you can use for poetry, when in text capsule click the drop down box that says 'Format' and goto 'Preformatted' to get a look like this hub.

As for an indent or space in front of the start of the line, this link may help although I don't know how many work with Hubpages.

1. profile image0
        The Writers Dogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Wrylit. I was also wondering about this smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
        DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, WryLit--
           I'll look into those options when I get home from my volunteer shift at the cat /dog rescue.

Your Ex 1 is close to what I want..  I sometimes do things like this:

Poem starts here

(space, space, space)  remainder of line 1 is here

(space, space, space, space) line 2 starts here...

Spaces.........................................).end of 1st stanza is here.

.....And so forth

and I do not wish to use a string of periods as I've done here.....

I've experimented before with the "pre formatted" thingamabob (not on poems..but just to see what it was and what it did...) ..and all it seems to do is stretch everything out into one, long, single line that doesn't even fit within the capsule as it's being edited, so that you have to scroll across back and forth to read the entire bit you've typed in.  That didn't impress me much....

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can force horizontal spaces in the HTML editor by adding the character code "& # 1 6 0 ;" (without the quotes and spaces) repeatedly.  (I added spaces in there just in case this comment form turned the symbol into an actual space.)

1. profile image0
            calculus-geometryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Update: I just tested this out of curiousity and the extra spaces did not stick unfortunately.  I hope you do figure it out DzyMsLizzy.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The HTML section has a list of allowed commands at the top of the box - nothing else is allowed.  So I'd be curious to know whether calculus-geometry's idea works.

What you need is an "indent" button (which is available on Word and OpenOffice, but not on HP. 

The only thing I can think of is to turn your poem into a .pdf and post an image of it.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

Oh--I had not thought of that approach..  I don't really know how to use PDF.  All I know about it, is that when I find a PDF document, it irritates me, because I can do nothing with it.http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91551#

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Allowed Tags: a, blockquote, br, strong, em, u, h2, h3, h4, li, ol, p, pre, sup, sub, ul

3. homesteadbound profile image81
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

If you are just wanting to add white space, I created a couple of blank graphics that I insert for that purpose - essential white blocks of varying sizes. I insert these using the photo capsules between the text capsules or picture capsules. Would something like this work for you?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I think MsLizzy is looking for a layout where each line of the poem is progressively more indented.

I must confess that as a non-poet, I have trouble understanding why the layout of each line is so important to poets.  To me, if it's a good poem, I'm too busy appreciating the words to worry about how they're arranged on the page.  If it's not a good poem, a fancy layout just makes me feel the poet is trying to cover up their inadequacies with gimmicks.

Adding extra spaces between the stanzas I can understand, to make them easier to read.

1. homesteadbound profile image81
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay! Thanks so much!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

Yes, Marisa--precisely so!

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image87

@ Marisa--
          OMG--I had an explanation all typed out, and it vanished into thin air!  Let me try again, and cross my fingers!

I can understand your not understanding, but let me try to explain why this kind of spacing is important to (some) poets.  If one is writing traditional poetry, with rhyme and formal stanzas, then no, this kind of formatting is not needed.

However, many of us who write "blank" or "free" verse that is not rhymed, and is more word pictures, make use of these kinds of extra line spaces and breaks to introduce significant pauses for particular emphasis.
        Note that these are not the kinds of emphases with which you need or want bold, italic or underline typeface formatting; but more akin to the "pregnant pause" that can be used when reading aloud or giving a speech.

It is a long pause, much longer than a simple comma or new sentence break would accommodate.
        By breaking up the lines visually in this way, that pause is formed as the eye seeks the next line.  It does not take "hunting" for the line in a way that completely destroys the flow or train of thought, but just forces a longer pause, to emphasize the next idea, and it certainly avoids writing in a totally distracting manner of stage directions, thusly:

"As she beheld the forgotten...("long wistful pause") ...bouquet..."

I hope that clarifies things somewhat. wink

(There are also some other fun things that you just cannot do with a computer, and that I used to have fun with back in the days of old manual typewriters...you can draw actual pictures by playing with the lines up and down to make shapes out of the words; imagine, for example, the word "pocket" written actually shaped like a pocket... it was fun.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

It does, but I have to say it doesn't work for me personally.  I can't stand poets who read their poems out with long pauses!  I always feel they're trying to make ordinary words sound important by adding "significant" pauses, instead of making the effort to find more descriptive words that would've done the job on their own.  But then maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole concept of free verse.

4. capricornrising profile image61
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

Hi Miss Lizzy - I have two clunky suggestions:

1) It's not perfect, but you might try the blockquote function. Use the capsule toolbar icon that looks like a set of beginning quotes (“). That will indent a full line that has a carriage return at the end. If you want to indent further lines in from any line you have already indented, you'll need to go into the HTML screen, by clicking the HTML button all the way over to the left of the toolbar in your capsule, and type in <blockquote> at the beginning and </blockquote> at the end of any text you want to further indent. I realize this is convoluted.

2) Format your text by selecting "Preformatted" in the dropdown menu that lets you choose "Paragraph" or "Header." Unfortunately, this will turn your text into a fixed-width typewriter font. But you can indent it at will. The main problem is that the editor will stop wrapping your text, so you'll want to make sure you insert carriage returns to avoid the text overlapping the right column. Finally, you'll want to view your text in a different browser to make sure it's interpreted well in all of them.

Best of luck - I hope this helps! (I should probably write a hub!)

1. capricornrising profile image61
      capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whoops - re suggestion #2, I should have said to type in all your text, select it, then choose "Preformatted" from the drop down menu. Then play with it. I hope that's a little clearer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)