Atheists in America

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. secularist10 profile image59
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

Financial Times article today on atheists in the US, discrimination, stereotyping and all that good stuff. I'm a creature of the liberal coasts so I've never dealt with these things very much personally. Although even here clear preference is given to theism. From the article:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/d2239780 … z1lQfYw2Di

An atheist British immigrant to Kentucky:

“I’ve been told things like ‘I hope you have an accident, die and go to hell.’ So that’s what I’ve been up against.”
    Friends have rejected him. “I used to be a good running friend with somebody who doesn’t live far from here. I mentioned on one occasion that I was an atheist and I’ve never seen him again... I came here knowing this was the Bible Belt, but I didn’t realise it was a more like a totalitarian Christian society: you’re either one of them or you’re not and there’s no in between. So I’ve learnt this lesson, to keep it to myself as much as possible.”

And a former crack addict in Alabama:

"What is astonishing is that she can be pretty much anything else. “Being on crack, that was OK. As long as I believed in God, I was OK.” So, for example, “I’m not allowed to babysit. I have all these cousins who need babysitters but they’re afraid I’ll teach them about evolution, and I probably would.” I couldn’t quite believe this. She couldn’t babysit as an atheist, but she could when she was on crack? 'Yes.'"

1. emmaspeaks profile image71
      emmaspeaksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find it absolutely fascinating that according to Christian dogma, serial killers, rapists, and murderers can get into heaven by simply asking for forgiveness before they die, but an atheist, who is not a rapist, serial killer, or murderer, and has led a perfectly moral life, is doomed. I actually have Christian friends that tell me this every day. Sigh.

1. secularist10 profile image59
        secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is indeed quite odd. This moral ambiguity and flexibility is probably one of the great strengths of Christianity, ironically. Certainly not an intellectual strength or logical one, but a major reason for its growth and domination in the world.

When there is war to be done or outsiders to be persecuted, the violent, intolerant and scary portions of the Bible can be employed, and suddenly God is on the side of the aggressors. And when people are interested in peace and community spirit, they can cite the "love of God," the sacrifice of Jesus and whatnot.

It's actually pretty ingenious when you think about it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Both sides get picked on a lot these days...

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

Just wear one of these.
    http://data.whicdn.com/images/14425064/168449829v3_480x480_Front_large.jpg
    They'll be so confused that they will leave you alone. big_smile

1. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love it, it is irony at it's best. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

Another of my favorites.
    http://www.yourfunnystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/if-you-could-reason-with-religious-people.jpg

Yep, you can see the peace and tranquillity in his eyes and general facial posture, but then Hugh is an actor, and a good one who managed to be the highest paid actor in soaps, despite being a Brit (well Scot actually).

A thoroughly nice chap, who says the lines he is given.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peace?  You're a better man than I if you see peace in that picture! haha oh I mean a better person, since I'm not a man.  LOL.
        I'm just funnin' aguasilver.   I love House!  He's kinda like the rebel ya always wanna knock some common sense into, but can't, and so have to respect his skill no matter what.   
        Makes me wanna google Hugh Laurie and see if he's entirely different from House....

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Watch the Blackadder series if you want to see Laurie in a completely different role. He isn't in the first series and only shows up briefly in the second, but becomes a regular in the third and fourth.

1. profile image0

Thanks.  Dunno if I can get that series or not...
            I was referring to Laurie personally, whether or not he himself has a personality and/or views similar to House's or what.

He is a charming man....

Although Laurie was brought up in the Presbyterian church as a child, he has declared: "I don't believe in God, but I have this idea that if there were a God, or destiny of some kind looking down on us, that if he saw you taking anything for granted he'd take it away."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie

1. profile image0

Thanks.  Seems he has some leanings toward Christianity but doesn't follow through on 'em.
                Plays the piano in real life, plus several other instruments.  I remember he played piano sometimes on House and I wondered if he played in real life.

If you ever saw Brit TV he was always on with Stephen Fry and playing piano, they used to do a sort of 'Flanders and Swan' sketch.

Here is a Blackadder to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZDCYbf6S8

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
                    A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's nice to see other Blackadder fans who appreciate the humor. smile

2. profile image0

That one was funny.  Thanks. smile
                    I've seen one of the other actors play "Mr. Bean" somewhere.  Just hadn't seen Hugh Laurie in a humorous goofy role like that.  Very different role from House..
                    He's definitely good with accents too.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

This hopefully concludes my religion quota for the day. big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although, there don't seem to be any other kinds of threads to post on around here...lol

6. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

I love the House quote Paradigm!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)