Research says Atheists are smarter than Theists. What do you think?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Be Like Water profile image70
    Be Like Waterposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12356253.png
    I have read some articles that suggest Atheists are generally smarter than Theists.
    Someone shared a link in an Indian Facebook group and Atheists were like; "Theists are dumber because their minds are occupied with fear all the time, and they can't concentrate on studies......." These were, I figure, the dumb Atheists.
    Then Religious folks joined the discussion and they were like: "If you are smarter then go become a scientist." and "Atheist , could you please ask your parents which scientific method was use to conceive you...and bear you inside for 9 months....how you got the nutrients to grow....
    Wonder? Wonder? Friends" (Ignorant)

Atheists on Hubpages, what are your thoughts on this?
    Theists. can one be religious and yet not ignorant?

Link: http://www.medicaldaily.com/proved-athe … Q.facebook

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While Atheists approach matters more celebrally  and are more intellectually curious and question things more, that does not mean that they are more astute than theists.   Theists fall into many categories.  There are theists who aren't religiously affiliated at all.   Although they believe in God or Universal Consciousness, they also question spiritual matters.  They are intellectually curious and always open to possibilities.  What you are speaking about are religionists which are a subset of theists.  Religionists fall into different categories.  The more liberal, nontraditional, and/or universalist religionist approach things intellectually.  They do not take their particular religious ideology literally.  They discard facets of their ideology which they find to be outdated, irrelevant, and/or passé.  They think for themselves in terms of spiritual matters.

The more conservative, dogmatic, fundamentalist, and/or traditional religionists do not approach things intellectually.  They are the ones who blindly obey and follow religious dictates whether it is logical or not.  They refuse to question any aspects of their religion, believing it to be sacrosanct and preordained.  They also take their religious quite literally.  They have a very narrow perspective regarding who God is and will not go beyond their individual/particular religious purview.  They are the ones very entrenched in their belief systems.
      http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12185240.jpg

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 9 years ago

The smartest person I know is a Christian.

3. janesix profile image60

In their conclusions, they said: ‘Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme - the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who ‘know better’.

‘Intelligent people typically spend more time in school - a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits.

‘More intelligent people getting higher level jobs and better employment and higher salary may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs.’

Study co-author Jordan Silberman, a graduate student of neuroeconomics at the University of Rochester, said: ‘Intelligence may lead to greater self-control ability, self-esteem, perceived control over life events, and supportive relationships, obviating some of the benefits that religion sometimes provides.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … tific.html

4. Lucid Psyche profile image59
    Lucid Psycheposted 9 years ago

I think that a better question might be, can one claim to be an atheist and still advocate for science and logic even when evidence discovered under the auspices of methodological naturalism contravenes their naturalistic ideological predisposition. Most atheists assume that Naturalism / Materialism is true and do not question it. Evidence is summarily dismissed if it does not support atheistic beliefs. Is that being intelligent? To my way of thinking how one uses their native intelligence is a function of it's ultimate usefulness.

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 9 years ago

I recently witnessed the slow deaths of both of my elderly parents.  One was fearful of impending death.  The other was serene and accepting.  One was a Christian, the other had no faith.  Who do you think was more fearful?

1. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well if I had to take a guess, the one that was more fearful was the one who had absolutely no idea what happens after death (and rightly so) versus the one who deluded them self into knowing for certain where they will go.

Am I in the ballpark? For all I know it could have been the reverse.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Christian was afraid; the atheist was serene and ready.  Odd, because my mother believed she had been saved and all her sins forgiven.  Why would she be afraid? 

I think it was because of doubt.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course it was doubt; if one thinks they know (whether they actually do or not) there would be no reason to fear.  Only when they doubt they know can fear grow.

2. Lucid Psyche profile image59
      Lucid Psycheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So, what did you take away from your experience based on your observations? You know your parents better than anyone. Maybe your atheistic parent was taking some measure of comfort from their spouse and maybe after long years of association the Christian parent was feeling the doubt of their life partner? Just a thought. The point being that there are too many personal variables to make generalizations based entirely on their respective faiths.

1. profile image0

My feeling is that Dad was at peace because he had no reason to believe something bad would happen when he died.  Mom was doubting that she had lived her life in a way that would ensure her deliverance to heaven, which is absurd (to me) because she was an exceptional woman.  My observation of them is that Mom believed in a vengeful God, and was unsure she was worthy, while Dad was simply ready to go and believed his life was done.  Death was welcome because it was the natural end to a life lived.

1. Lucid Psyche profile image59
          Lucid Psycheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Your interpretation is probably as valid as anyone's. My personal belief is that neither had anything to fear. Neither oblivion nor a vengeful God. The scientific findings of The Campaign for Philosophical Freedom under the leadership of Michael Roll has uncovered some interesting findings (understatement) that will help others at such time as the present obsolete ideologies meet their natural end.

2. feenix profile image56
          feenixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All I know is when I and my fellow infantry-platoon members were fighting in the swamps and jungles of the Mekong Delta in Vietnam, not a one of us was at peace. We were all as scared as hell that we were going end up dead, including the "believers" and "non-believers" alike.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The one who had no faith because of a belief that death is the end and a total cessation of consciousness while the one believes in a Higher Reality, Universal Consciousness, or Higher Awareness knows that his/her consciousness, soul, or higher self exists separate from the physical body and will survive death and go on to a Higher Consciousness.

P.S. Pretty Panther,  Very sorry to hear of your parents' death.  I give you my deepest, most heartfelt sympathy.

1. profile image0

Thank you  It was their time.

6. Mobile Home profile image61
    Mobile Homeposted 9 years ago

If you want to see some really smart Christian scientists visit creation.com .They have several thousand resources and videos about atheism and evolution etc. Nonsense information. Proven and testable subject matter using empirical science.

7. mishpat profile image60
    mishpatposted 9 years ago

Toward the OP, and not subjective nonsense.

God made us all the same.  The Constitution of the USA says we are created equal.  Can't have two better volumes to prove a point.

As there are intelligent believers and intelligent atheists, there are stupid believers and there are stupid atheists.

It would appear, though that atheists are more well read.  Maybe they are still looking for what believers have found and stopped searching for?

1. profile image0

Yes, subjective nonsense.  Just like faith in a God.  Just my personal experience, but the atheists I know aren't afraid of life or death.  The Christians I know are afraid of so many things that don't even matter.

Subjectively speaking, of course.

1. mishpat profile image60
        mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

afraid, or do they just have limits because of what they believe?

1. profile image0

Limits on what they believe, sure, but those limits are arbitrary limits imposed by people, usually men, but touted as God's word, so fear of God's displeasure is a given for many Christians. 

This is just my personal opinion based on observation. I could be wrong.

Well, I am sorry to say that your opinion is probably right on for some of the primitive style churches, as well as for some of the larger corporate denominations.  Seems too many folks follow doctrine rather than the Bible and people rather than God.

Yet the demeanor of folks (fearful, dreary, fretting) really does not express their belief any more than it does for the constantly smiling and happy, happy group.  A relationship with Jesus Christ is not dependent upon anything outside of accepting Him as personal savior.  What churches or doctrines add onto this is arbitrary and usually not defendable by scripture.  The problem here is too many people take the position that "The pastor/priest must be right so why study."  Shame on them, both of them.

Suffice to say, the outward appearance of people in times of stress reflects their reliance, or lack thereof, on people.  It really has little to do with salvation.  God takes care of His own in spite of our best efforts to destroy the joy He gives His children.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
              Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Once there was a christian man, who claimed to me he was fearless.

I asked? What about God, do you not fear God?
              -no answer.

Good morning Castle.  Been awhile.  Too bad about the Oilers, but why not grab onto the Canucks or Calgary.  They are "old time hockey" and fun to watch... when the Wings are on a day off.  Hate to say it but I think the Rangers are going to be too much, but I'll look for them against the Habs in the final.

As to your comment, this looks interesting but I have to ask, in what context were you asking?

My three top picks in order - Hawks, Habs and thirdly Rangers.
                  Oilers got the top draft pick again for next year.

It was another case where I ask A big question they hate and lose a job or relationship over it. I accept them, yet a few of them do NOT accept me.
                  Too bad, many are controlled by fear rather than love for all.

A couple thoughts pop up.   Fear of God, from the believers side, should not be equated with fear as a phobia.  It is a reverence. Personally, I am not afraid of God, but I am afraid that my actions will besmirch God, either by commission or omission.

Fear of man on the other hand, the phobia, can be on many levels; direct fear, fear of what they can do, what they have done, what they will do to one or the ones you love.  But, all things being equal, mano e mano, do I fear any man physically?  No.

An issue closely akin to this second is "love and hate" which, I believe is greatly misused. (I hope I don't sound to authoritative, cuz I'm not an authority on any subject but me, and even that is questionable at times.) 

From this believers prospective, one does not have like a person or their lifestyle just because they believe the Bible.  But they must "love" the person.  The Bible uses at least 5 variations of "love" all with variable meanings.  In short, storge, (Greek and sometimes the same as phileo) is the liking or loving of other people from a social stance.  Agape is an unconditional love a believer is suppose to have to each other and the lost.  In other words, my concern should be helping the person find a place in God's family.  Its up to God to fix what is broken.  Some may disagree with these but that's the way man is.  (The end for now.  I don't do well with long responses, and this is long.)

I would say the worst sinners in the world are believers because they "know" what God expects of His children, yet they do it anyway.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

mishpat
                  An issue closely akin to this second is "love and hate" which, I believe is greatly misused. I would say the worst sinners in the world are believers because they "know" what God expects of His children, yet they do it anyway.

Castle
                  Yahweh children would break the law greater than any other group. More Christian per ca-pita are in greater violation of wars, in prisons and in natures environmental damage than any other group.

The Bible says God is love! OK, where does it say that God’s love is unconditional? Love."Would Yahweh love other Gods or gays or adulator  Or pot smokers unconditionally? Or most people on earth who are not aware of Yahweh? So what is the point?

Many fear the Lord as a mere respect or reverence. Bible uses the word fear at least 300 times in reference to God. Just replace mistake with correcting them then sins with regrets are not needed to be forgiven. Or come up with Bible dictionary that anyone can understand.

"It doesn't matter what I do, say, or believe, as a human being, I deserve unconditional and pass that on to others.

>>>Yahweh children would break the law greater than any other group. More Christian per ca-pita are in greater violation of wars, in prisons and in natures environmental damage than any other group.

I would agree though not in the same tenor.  Laws are supposed to be for the good of all.  They may be proposed and put into effect by "christians" but nothing happens in government or life without the support of the "other camp."  Its not a "christian" or "atheist" issue.  Its a power and greed, and sometimes anarchist issue.  Who ever is willing to divest the greater amount of morals is the winner.

>>>The Bible says God is love! OK, where does it say that God’s love is unconditional? Love."Would Yahweh love other Gods or gays or adulator  Or pot smokers unconditionally? Or most people on earth who are not aware of Yahweh? So what is the point?

OT - 2 Chronicles 7:14   NT - Romans 10:13 
                    (Lets be careful not to build doctrine on one or two verses.)

But the suggestion seems to be that when God does not say what we want to hear, then He is wrong and since He is wrong I do not have to believe in Him and, therefore, why believe He even exists. 

>>>Many fear the Lord as a mere respect or reverence. Bible uses the word fear at least 300 times in reference to God. Just replace mistake with correcting them then sins with regrets are not needed to be forgiven. Or come up with Bible dictionary that anyone can understand.

Not sure what this means.  300 is probably about 100 short.  "Regrets" is the key word.  Forgiveness is not "unconditional" as many would have it.  God forgives unconditionally when express regret.  A continued violation of His word does not indicate regret.

>>>"It doesn't matter what I do, say, or believe, as a human being, I deserve unconditional and pass that on to others.

Should man be rewarded for thumbing his nose at God?  As children, were we rewarded when we thumbed our noses at our parents?  Is your daughter privileged to tell you "no" and do as she pleases?   There are and should be penalties, nor rewards, in all situations for violating the standards.  And since man is incapable of setting proper standards, the "leaves" God!

8. mishpat profile image60
    mishpatposted 9 years ago

I must finally be losing it cuz I don't understand where some of these comments are coming from!  So, I'll just say ....

Men are not smarter than women, and that is a good discussion in itself.

Atheists are, in general, more read but not more intelligent that believers.

The Bible does not separate intelligence by race.

The Bible does not make man more important than woman.

... and hope that catches me up.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can say what you like, but do you have the evidence to back up what you say?

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

mishpat

Men are not smarter than women,
      -We are equal , just some ways we each thimk differently about the same thing.

Atheists are, in general, more read but not more intelligent that believers.
      -Yes, more read , they know more about other WORLD religions than any other group. Intellect  is only one part of 5 other parts.of our balance of  intelligent life

The Bible does not separate intelligence by race.
      -In some ways it dose.

The Bible does not make man more important than woman.
      -It's written in the Bible ' Man is wroth more than women.
      God has to be a man, to screw up the world as he has.

Opinions are always welcome.  However I have to disagree with 3 of 4 your positions.

Atheist are more read in the "scientific" and theory areas which would (sometimes) put them ahead on the academic level, but we have always remember, academics and intelligence are not the same.  And though they make comments and stand firm on their positions on "religion," it is usually faulty as it depends too much on "science" and even more on past experience with the various denominations.  In some cases, it is a down right hate for God because He does not do things the way these folks think He should.  And I must also add, it would seem there is very little personal study of religion involved other than what is printed by their mentors.

No, I find no place in scripture where one ethic group or gender is more intelligent than another.  God has dealt fairly with all, even those that do not regard His existence.

I am not aware of that "quote" or verse from the Bible regarding "wroth men."  Could you give me a chapter and verse?

I did say atheist are more intelligent just more read on world religious knowledge and they are more intellect.  Intelligent to me is a balance of the intellect, spiritual, phyical, relationship and money.

You can explore all the chapter and verses forever yourself.

No, that is a false statement on its face, and a bit self-serving.  First, they are not more intellect (intelligent) and second, they explore very little in the spiritual realm, but repeat what they have heard as fact as opposed to what they have studied on their own, as indicated by many of their responses.  They are more read and accumulate more information than some folks, such as myself who have little more than a cursory interest in many of these subjects, but then assault their own belief systems with crass and subjective replies.  That is not a sign of intelligence, but one of self-importance.  As to intelligence itself, "physical" and "money" may be a result for some, but I would not consider it a part of intelligence.

You made a statement "-It's written in the Bible ' Man is wroth more than women."  My question was not a trick question or trap.  I would like to know where that can be found in the Bible; Old Testament, New Testament, Apocrypha or one on the newer commentaries called versions?

Yes, atheist lack in spiritual interest. Also somewhat could say in relationship with 85% of the world population who are religious or spiritual sided.

it would not be Intelligent to be greatly unbalance from any one of those five major parts in our live.  Try living without good physical health or bad realationships or being very poor. Well if  I loose my mind, kill me, because I don't want to be a part of someones vegetable  garden.

You can do something  better than me and vice-versa, How can anyone measure intelligence?

1. chuckandus6 profile image77
                chuckandus6posted 9 years agoin reply to this

well put intelligence and religious beliefs should not be intertwined.

9. janesix profile image60

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th … higher-iqs

Atheists have higher IQ's. Just showing you the facts.

1. chuckandus6 profile image77
      chuckandus6posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting, but not sharing this information with my atheist hubby, I don't want it to go to his head. lol

Only other group could have higher IQ's are Nerds and Politicians.

EQ is a greater test, Politicians remembering an knowing how to cover their lies, is not a healthy test of intelligence.

2. mishpat profile image60

Peter Silberman, the benchmark of psychology.

Intelligent people are more likely to be atheists because belief in a deity is irrational.

Hhhmmm, I'm going to have to talk to God about this!

Do you think He will answer? Probably not.

He already has and it appears you are wrong... again.  2Chronicles 20:6.

Lord, the God of our ancestors, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you

Sorry, it speaks about God's power. Nothing to do with the belief in God being rational.

Try again.

Oopps, you got me there.  I got in a hurry to watch the hockey game and put two responses in one cube. Should have been...

>> He already has and it appears you are wrong... again.<< in response to your last, and

>> 2 Chronicles 20:6<< to the previous comment.

But now the moment has past.

Hads are back. in it.

10. tony mcnaughton profile image60
    tony mcnaughtonposted 9 years ago

Wow...what an excellent perspective to focus on...it's probably the most honest/accurate  real expression of the discerning human heart that,  I've read on the net this week...thank you , for the directing kindness of your thought inducing words...sincerely !

What hockey?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)