Why does TIME magazine treat Americans differently?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

TIME has recently provided different cover stories for the American market.  The international form has very gripping and interesting cover stories.  The American version has cover stories that IMO are nothing but fluff.

Is it a case that Americans will not read the articles that will provide a better understanding of global issues?  Or is TIME simply acting like a censor stopping Americans from seeing the true global issues?

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4ed3a3436bb3f7a00d00003c-650/time-magazine-covers.jpg

http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4ed3a90b6bb3f7d224000008-915/while-the-rest-of-the-world-gets-a-thoughtful-piece-about-islam-the-us-gets--chores.jpg

http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4ed3a9f869bedd3d0d000002-915/cold-turkey.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-ti … ld-2011-11

1. ElderYoungMan profile image66
      ElderYoungManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The mainstream media has sold out the people but it isn't all their fault.  Americans aren't interested in the truth, just on the next injection of whatever drowns out reality.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"Glad you asked. The reason is simple: the media has become an adjunct to the military’s “information operations,” i.e. psychological and propaganda operations, which are not just directed at the foreign “enemy,” but also at the enemy on the home front, i.e. the American people, who, if they knew the truth, would pull the plug on the whole operation. Col. Davis puts it more politely:"

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is what I see in the situation as well.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Or it could just be that they are being told what to publish for the US market, and free to publish what they want for the rest of the world.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It could also just be because what the US public will buy differs, and they are a business that likes to make money.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

plus one, and they probably found that out through years of comparing sales - what topic sells to American public

5. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

They do this with our news on a daily basis,look into it.

6. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

It's funny you complaining about "fluff" being handed to Americans by the media, because I complain bitterly of the same thing with respect to Britain.

It's got to the point where I can't bear to watch the TV news (on any channel) because of the flagrant trivialisation and bias. Everything is always talked about from an emotional, not a rational angle - focusing where possible on personalities rather than on issues. It's especially bad when politics is discussed, but it permeates pretty well all types of news.

As a case in point, there was a news item recently about a husband and wife in Cornwall who owned a hotel. Their religious (Christian) convictions meant that they refused to let a gay couple share a double room. The gay couple took them to court and won damages. This was presented by the media as entirely a Good Thing.

Now, I think these hotel owners are complete bigots. But I am enormously twitchy about business owners (hoteliers, shop keepers etc.) effectively being told whom they can and cannot do business with, which is the wedge that this court case is the thin end of. No-one in the media (AFAIK) has even touched on this aspect of the issue, because it involves looking beyond the fluffy emotional stuff and into the world of principles. God forbid that kind of discussion should happen.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read about that story, and it is my belief that the country has gone to pot, so to speak.

While I don't necessarily agree with that elderly couple, they have the right to set their own regulations according to their beliefs.

If the gay couple knew before they made the booking (and this was not made clear in the article I read) then they were chancing their arm. simply and purely.

If they didn't know that the old couple did not allow gays to share a room, then it becomes the fault of the couple who ran the establishment, but they still have the right to state their beliefs.

But to have a court award thousands to pounds in compensation to the complainant smacks of greed, and a corporate enforcement on an unwilling society.

1. pedrog profile image61
        pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the civilized world you cannot discriminate based on gender, sexual orientation, color of skin or religious beliefs, no matter what your "beliefs" are, would you like to see in a mall door "No Negros Allowed" or "No Jews Allowed" or whatever minorities exist in your country.

Nowadays it seems people can get away with anything if they claim it is their "religious beliefs"...

1. IzzyM profile image87

Even that is not entirely true, because doctors and nurses can refuse to take part in legal abortions, if it offends their beliefs.

So, if a Christian couple running a guest house, find homosexuality to be against their beliefs, why are they discriminated against by the legal system?

Doctors are not discriminating with conscientious objection, abortion and euthanasia are very complex subjects, a doctor who chooses not to make those procedures never receive patients for that purpose, but if a doctor refuses to make that procedure because the woman is black that is discrimination and there will be consequences.

They are not being discriminated, they are being prosecuted as any other person who does not obey the law, and again, in the civilized world you cannot discriminate based on things like color of skin, sexual orientation and gender, you are not free to discriminate because you are interfering with the next person freedom, your freedom stops when the next person freedom begins.

1. IzzyM profile image87

But I had the right to object, in law, to homosexuals getting down to it, in the back of my taxi, because that is a public place.

Is a Christian hotel not a public place? Maybe not.

This is difficult. I am not arguing against homosexuality, or skin color, or even sex, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Surely the law throughout the modern world does not distinguish so easily the difference between black and white (and no I do not refer to skin color)?

Some of us are more tolerant that others, but it seems wrong that tolerance is legally forced on those of us who don't want it to be, especially when our religious beliefs forbid us?

Thank God I am not religious!

You can object to someone having sex in the back of your taxi and they don't have to be gay, hehe.

A hotel, christian or not is not a public place and you can refuse entrance but not based on those things, if you have a bar you can refuse serve someone who is really drunk, but not because he is gay.

And yes it is a very good subject to discuss, intolerance is not tolerated, seems a contradiction but if you apply the golden rule it makes sense.

7. bryanbaldwin profile image60
    bryanbaldwinposted 12 years ago

Time Magazine at the end of the day is a BUSINESS and a business that has been around for a long time.  They print what sells and what people want to read about.  Just like the way you can write a hub and if most people don't care about the subject, it will get viewed less than something that interest the public.  I think a good perspective is to ask the question, "How come the American public would rather read about THIS, rather than that.

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It may be a little more involved than "what sells"
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

8. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)