xbox v playstation

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. jonsswagger1978 profile image59
    jonsswagger1978posted 12 years ago

I have both game systems and they are both excellent, without a doubt. But the fact is Sony has far more experience than Microsoft in the video game industry. The PS3 has an SPU opposed to the XBOX 360 which still used CPU. Look it up guys, come on. Worldwide it sells better and has more games. PS3 wins by close majority decision.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PS3

2. BraidedZero profile image84
      BraidedZeroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For the sake of the argument I will keep it to the parameters of your post. So you brought up: More experience in the industry, Processor, and the quantity of games and total units sold. And though your initial post shows Xbox v Playstation, you compare both the companies and their most recent systems. So for the sake of keeping it simple I will compare their newest systems.

So let's begin with the easy part, games and experience. If you include all the games of the industry, yes Sony wins, and yes it's because they have been around longer. But if you'll recall the Xbox 360 was released at the end of 2005. PS3 was released at the end of 2006. So the Xbox 360 has a year on the PS3 and it shows. Xbox 360 has far more games than the PS3. And with the release of the new Slim PS3 it is no longer backwards compatible with PS2 games. Because Sony is a bunch of money hungry whores they make you buy PS2 games through the PSN. And wait! Xbox 360, all versions of it, are still backwards compatible with Xbox games. So I'm sorry but Sony loses there. Once they released their new system and took away its backwards compatibility, they lost all their games.

Alright your next point is that worldwide, Sony sells better than Microsoft. Well again let's keep it between the PS3 and the Xbox 360. Worldwide sells as of March 2012: Xbox 360, 65.8 million; PS3, 63.9 million. Hmm so Xbox has sold roughly 2 million more consoles than the PS3. Weird. Of course you can consider the fact that they have been on the market for a year longer a deciding factor, but the truth is that in the U.S. Xbox wins. In Europe and Japan the PS3 wins. In the U.S. Xbox blows PS3 out of the water. And most people in the U.S. only buy a PS3 because of its Blu Ray player. When you're comparing systems, you can't compare the companies. Sony has been around longer than Microsoft in the gaming industry, but the Xbox 360 has been around for a year longer than the PS3. So PS3 it loses in Worldwide sales. It has more experience. Again, to show you the figures and why Xbox wins in the U.S.: as of December 31, 2009 Xbox sold 18.6 million consoles; as of April 14, 2010 (4 months later) PS3 sold nearly 12 million consoles. So I'm sorry, but Xbox wins in sells.

And the last point: Processor. First off you're probably referring to the "SPE", Synergistic Processing Element. The SPU is a part of the SPE and the SPE is a part of the Cell Microprocessor, so if you compare the SPU and CPU it's like comparing a computer in general to a motherboard. One of them is a component of the other. And the CPU of the Xbox is known as the Xenos.  The Xenos has 3 general purpose PPEs (Power Processor Element) used to run the OS and the games. The Xbox uses 3% of core 1 and 2 to run the OS leaving 97% of core 1 and 2, and 100% of core 3 to run the game itself. The Cell has 1 general purpose PPE that is used for the OS and to run games. There are 7 SPE cores under the PPE, 1 used for the OS and the other 6 are used for the games. The way this 6 core setup works is that the first core is set to only do 1 thing, once it finishes what it is doing it passes it on to the second core, then so on to the last core. So you would think that the system would work in a way that it takes the AI code and the graphics code and puts them onto different cores, but it doesn't work that way sense the Cell Processor doesn't have branch capabilities. Plus the total space of that packet is 100 MB and the SPE only has 256 KB of space available. So the PPE must find code from this packet that is less than 256 KB to send to the SPE to process it (which this takes more time because the transfer speed between the PPE and SPE is very slow because it transfers the data using Direct Memory Access (DMA) which is slower than what the 360 uses). So once it finds all the packets that can be separated they try to balance the data between the 6 cores. So with these 6 cores it is a constant overlapping of the PPE finding ways to break down the packet and move it to the 6 different cores. In short PS3 will do better with MPEG streams, but it doesn't do as well with games.

Sorry to get all technical on you but that's the premise of it. If you want to compare the system itself with its components, the Xbox wins. But if you want to compare it based on what you want, then it varies from person to person. Just be sure to distinguish between the two before you begin. I have both systems myself. I use Xbox when I want to play shooter games with my friends. I play PS3 if I want to play RPG games or use the Blu Ray player.

1. Mama Kim 8 profile image84
        Mama Kim 8posted 11 years agoin reply to this

hehe... perfectly said ^_^

3. Ironman1992 profile image60
      Ironman1992posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I own only a PS3, but I have played Xbox, and PS3 is more fun. The PS3 has better titles like Uncharted 2 and can handle more impressive games than the Xbox can.

2. passthejelly profile image71
    passthejellyposted 12 years ago

I have had my PS3 for about 4 years and I enjoy it quite a bit.  My friend on the other hand had his xbox break several time.  Plus I have saved a ton of money on not having to pay for xbox live. Imo playstation

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Whoever Wins - Pocket Loses.

4. jaybird22 profile image68
    jaybird22posted 12 years ago

I agree PS3 has been around longer and gets the slight edge over XBOX.  I like the fact that the PS3 can be used as a Blue-Ray player. I think as time marches on, Xbox gets a little better and more competitive.  There is no hidding that Microsoft builds quality products and they definitely have the banking to support making their gaming systems better in the future.  The future gaming industry should be interesting. 

Having said that, I don't think there is a company out there that could come in a be as competitive as Xbox and PS3.  Not with their research, finances, and current reputation in the market already.

5. JohnGreasyGamer profile image77
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 11 years ago

The Playstation 3 I'm starting to earn a lot more respect for, mostly because it's got some worthy titles. They may have more experience, but that doesn't mean they'll not go crashing down. You remember Atari? Of course not, because they died long before Nintendo despite having more experience. Atari consoles had more features and the upper-hand, but it was titles that saved them.

So then you ask, "why is Nintendo still alive"? I call it exploitation. Exploitation of four different franchises: Super Mario, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog and Legend of Zelda.

"I hear Nintendo have brought a new game out!"
    "Oh yeah, what is it?"
    "Super Duper Mario Kart 88-bit version HD extended super mega limited edition!"
    "Oh wow."

Remember when we used to make those jokes about SEGA? Well, the same's happening here.

So who's winning? Neither - they're both relying on three different franchises to keep their products alive. After that, it's time for another generation of consoles.

6. warchild75 profile image63
    warchild75posted 11 years ago

I own an xbox and although I do not consider myself an xbox fanboy I do really love the system!!. I have freinds who have playstations and to be fair there are pros and cons for both consoles, This debate will never be settled unfortunatly.

7. movielardatadare profile image57
    movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

PS3 is better than 360 (since I got the red ring of death on 360).  PC is better than PS3 because PC will forever be the most awesome.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)