How Many Of Us Are Really Christians? Do We Walk It Or Just Talk It?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (37 posts)
  1. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Judge Not

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
    As I entered Heaven's door,
    Not by the beauty of it all,
    Nor the lights or its decor..

But it was the folks in Heaven
    Who made me sputter and gasp--
    The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
    The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
    Who swiped my lunch money twice.
    Next to him was my old neighbor
    Who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
    Was rotting away in hell,
    Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
    Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?
    I would love to hear Your take.
    How'd all these sinners get up here?
    God must've made a mistake.

'And why's everyone so quiet,
    So somber - give me a clue.'
    'Hush, child,' He said, 'they're all in shock.
    No one thought they'd be seeing you.'

JUDGE NOT.

Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a
    Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a mechanic.

Every saint has a PAST...
    Every sinner has a FUTURE

Tamika Owens

This was sent to me through a friend , how many of us act like Christians and how many of us just go through the motions and proclaim to be Christian? Are we really walking the walk? Or are we just talking the talk?

1. curiozities profile image62
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great poem.  Christianity is one the few places you actually get an "A" for effort, so to speak, as long as it is a genuine, heartfelt effort borne of humility and a love of Jesus.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Loved the poem and sentiment. big_smile  Someone asked, "what is a Christian?"

A sinner of course. LOL.  King David writes a song in Psalms he says, "let the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable in thy sites, over ride.

To be a fair judge would insist that a person really knows what their heart means to speak so we judge not on accounts of our actions but God knows a good heart that meant well and a black heart that did not and it isn't for us to decide because in some way I do believe we are all "Christian".

I wont tell someone they are when they say they are not, but in my own heart I say, because I understand the troubles with people and the conditions of life, it is not even the words that makes us better, not our actions, but what is in our hearts that guide us down the path of love.

And I say like I always say, " If all these good loving people are the trash, then take me out with the trash." smile

1. Teresa McGurk profile image61
        Teresa McGurkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(Psalms 1:19 is "let the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer.")

The Bony M. song ended the phrase ". . . acceptable in thy sight, here tonight."

1. Make  Money profile image66
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never heard of Bony M. before.  What a cool song.  Thanks Teresa.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4oZhkGKi0

1. Teresa McGurk profile image61
            Teresa McGurkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think to look on youtube.com -- they really do have everything, eh?

2. profile image0
    lrigognamposted 14 years ago

What is Christian today? I dare not say I'm Christian, because I don't know who Christians are.
    I mean, there are a few infamous characters in my city, who roam the streets with Bibles to hand and are known for stepping up people to initiate a nice chat about how they feel about their books.
    Once I tested them because I was pissed and asked a question, something like 'what is the purpose of living?' After browsing the Scripture for a few minutes they came up with this, 'To create a perfect world in which everyone is happy'.
    Next question, 'Once in a perfect world what will be the purpose of living?', answer after ten minutes of searching, 'to praise God for his Mightiness'. Next question, 'Why would God want any worshipers?'
    Couldn't wait for the answer.
    What struck me is that they actually never knew the answers without looking up. I don't say that Christians are like this, but I could do with some more authenticity from those who are spreading the word.

AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me neither and again you also raised another question.smile

1. profile image0
        lrigognamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I edited my post, because I thought I wasn't straightforward enough. smile

3. Wingrider profile image65
    Wingriderposted 14 years ago

amazing poem ,, makes you wonder doesn't it

It certainly does and when a friend of mine sent it, I was curious to know what others thought and so far we are all on the same page. Why do people go to church and then become hypocritical on Monday? I do have friends who act this way, I am Christian but I certainly do not push others to believe in what I believe and I do not judge others for who they are. smile

4. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

It really does make you wonder, The poem is brilliant, stops you in your track kind of.... I try to see a persons potential, as you never know what at that point in time could be stopping them  from being really the nicest of people,,,,,, hope that makes sense, not that I am judging anyway, just empathising.....

Being hypocritical is not nice, but I am pretty sure I am guilty of it at times, in fact I know I am,,,,,

5. Wingrider profile image65
    Wingriderposted 14 years ago

I have my beliefs for the most part I keep them to myself, maybe a few close friends really understand me , I try not to judge, personally I think people make their own demons

6. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

It is a tough question isn't it ? Especially after you read it. Made me think twice. ")

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL I am not one Julianna. More, I think they all are making a grave mistake smile

8. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Nice poem AEvans but I think you need to draw a distinction between judging and defending or spreading one's faith.

Like for instance if Athanasius didn't take such a strong stand against Arianism in the 4th century we wouldn't have Christianity today.  And there is as much of an attack against Christianity today as there was then, including in this forum.

What I see in this forum by Christians is mostly defending or spreading their faith.

Do you actually think that should be silenced AEvans?

1. profile image0
      lrigognamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And imagine a world in which Arianism prevailed. What a disaster, eh? Especially in light of our history since then.

2. lisafwg01 profile image60
      lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How, exactly, is Christianity being "attacked"? People not agreeing with your beliefs and your beliefs not being the law of the land is not the same as your beliefs being attacked.

1. Inspirepub profile image70
        Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But lisafwgo1, you obviously don't SEE what is happening here - people are SAYING that Jesus was not ACTUALLY Divine! I mean it! They really are!

It's the Arian heresy breaking loose in the guise of atheism, Judaism, Baha'i, Buddhist and Islamic "religion". Every person who walks around espousing any one of these God-forsaken doctrines is making a direct, personal attack on Our Lord Jesus Christ Himself! How can you be so blind as to not see these ever-increasing, vicious and unwarranted attacks for the cowardly, arrogant, misguided, yet ultimately evil acts that they are?

They will get theirs in the Fiery Pits of Judgement Day. And if you defend them, you will, too ... wink

Jenny

P.S. Repent now - it's not too late ...

1. lisafwg01 profile image60
          lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jenny you had me choking on my coffee I was laughing so hard!..Sad thing is that some people really feel that way!

1. Inspirepub profile image70
            Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I view it as performance art ...

Jenny

3. AEvans profile image70

I do not believe our words should be silenced, what I believe is we need to walk like Christians if we are Christians and talk like Christians that we are supposed to be, but many of us run around defying the word, mocking others, arguing, fighting and spatting is that what Jesus would do? smile

1. profile image0

Mrs. Evans, Jesus is like the nicest person ever and most loving person ever, right?  They did the same things to him too. 

It's isn't that these people or I am not doing what Jesus would or wouldn't do because the mere utterance is enough to get people angry.

It happened in his time and they went as far as to kill him for it.  He didn't hurt anyone all he did was talk with passion about God, offer people forgiveness, take people under him with kindness and a stretched out hand and said follow me.

He said, if you follow me, you will know the Father's love but he said, if you follow me they will hate you for it but be assured that they hated me before they hated you.

And so many, so, so many people will read this and see "hate" in it instead of Love in it. sad

Sandra, You are so sweet I to am a Christian and I am certainly not trying to spread hate by all means. I am trying to understand why we call ourselves Christians and then taunt, badger, and harass others? There certainly isn't an ill-malice in the question. How could we as Christians lead others to Jesus when we do not act like Christians ourselves? People see us as a reflection of what he is and turn the other cheek when we act wrongfully. In order to lead we have to learn how to follow and do what Jesus has done. We have to be strong without being judgemental and we have to pray for those without being condescending. You more often then others always shed kind words, but we cannot be angry at our other brothers and sisters or those who do not believe we have to embrace and love them as that is what Jesus would do. smile

1. profile image0

Your right AEvan. I try. smile  thank you. smile

9. AlexiusComnenus profile image60
    AlexiusComnenusposted 14 years ago

Most Christians today only talk about their faith, not walk it. If the Christians really did stand up and walk their faith this country would not be in the situation it is today. Slaughtering millions of innocent children is not a characteristic of a Christian nation. God blesses the righteous actions of a righteous nation. "The prayers of a humble man availeth much." This nation is not humble. Christians are not active in spreading their faith. They are not active in showing Christ's love. We have blended in with a nation of hypocrites and shallow feelings.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Posting identical text in three different threads is definitely called walk the talk lol

2. accofranco profile image78
      accofrancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not only in your nation, likewise mine; brutality, corruption, homosexuality, incest, bribery, kidnapping, assassinations, favortism, etc are bane of all nations nowadays, too bad!

10. k@ri profile image86
    k@riposted 14 years ago

AE,  That was one of the best that I have read in a long time!  Thanks for sharing it!  Jesus always hung with the sinners, the saved were not needing of his company.  This poem outlines that to me.  Wonderful!

11. accofranco profile image78
    accofrancoposted 14 years ago

I try my best every day, and when i sin against someone, i always ask for forgiveness. Living a Christian life is hard to live but we need to work harder and always pray for God's divine grace to live up, it is always by his grace. Nice topic AE.

12. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

Christianity is a wonderful Religion. But the problem with us is that we follow what suits us and leave the rest.

13. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Okay, that was lame.

But I'm with you on the whole Judge Not; I never judge people, for I believe we are all of pure in heart. It's our scars, our tribulations, our entryways into demonic heathenry that I watch out for.

Some people can take an emotional beating and come back with a smile, others will take said beating and begin feeling pity.

What makes them different? Who knows, but I've a feeling one side of the coin isn't seeing much light.

Y.T.,

lxxy

14. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Yeah had to listen to some of their other songs too. smile

15. profile image0
    Gods Gardenposted 14 years ago

In Gods eyes we're all his children...as a parent would you disown your child? ....neither will he.
    There is only on God and one Father who wil judge us all.
    Walking, Talking, Acting he knows the truth..
    For me I'll just try to be a better person..God Willing

16. profile image0
    Whikatposted 14 years ago

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the article. I Loved it! I especially enjoyed the clever line, "Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a mechanic." LOL, I love be given the truth with a light touch of humor. Thanks A.E

It certainly is the truth isn't it? big_smile

1. profile image0
        Pachuca213posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you must live your life according to your beliefs not just with speaking the beliefs. Actions are necessary to prove that you are not just talking the talk...as the scriptures state:

"Faith without works is dead"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)