Need Advice on My Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Burgeon profile image79
    Burgeonposted 11 years ago

I joined 10 days ago, so much to learn. Just published 2 hubs. I know it takes a while. But the traffic is too low to be called traffic and it seems nobody is interested---I use google analytics, there are a few visits, but the average visit duration is almost 0, the longest one was 3 mins (my own visit doesn't account). I don't know SEO, but I tried google keywords tool.

Is this common to newbie or something wrong with my writing or my topics? Please give advice.

1. cynthiaalise profile image60
      cynthiaaliseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could tell you.  But, my advice is just write what you love...then, you are never disappointed.

Burgeonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, keep writing what I love is the attitude. Thank you!

1. cynthiaalise profile image60
          cynthiaaliseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

your welcome passion before payment

2. LetitiaFT profile image72
      LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Burgeon, I just read "Nature Inspirations for Building Envelope Design" all the way through and found it really interesting, but then again, I love this stuff. It's a fantastic hub, and your notion of driver relationships in the other one in equally fascinating. Beginnings are slow going. Don't worry yet.
      Here are a couple of suggestions that might help boost traffic:

Write on related issues
      This way you can immediately link to your own work. Having read the article on Building Envelope Design, I think you could almost make two articles out of it. One on skin and one on the topic you began with. Maybe you could write an article on bionic road surfaces and link all three...

Titles
      It's important to bear in mind that writing online is not like writing for magazines. People have short attention spans. Someone suggested to me yesterday (I had a really clever title for a hub that I couldn't believe wasn't getting any traffic, I mean none!) that it is always best to put the core of the subject first, and the qualifier after, much like most languages other than English do. Although your title certainly is straightforward enough, maybe "Building Envelope Design: Nature Inspirations" would get the point across that fraction of a second faster that counts.

Building Envelope hub content.
      It seems to me we may skip too abruptly from an introductory paragraph where there is no mention of natural inspiration, to 2 1/2 paragraphs where there is no mention of building structure. Consequently, we don't quite know where we're going. It might be more effective if you intertwined more of that information, either within the same article, or in two.

Just a few suggestions. Keep up the good work!

Wow, LetitiaFT, I really appreciate your time and your so detailed valuable advice on my hubs. I can't express how grateful I am.

"Write on related issues"- this really makes sense. People who are interested in the topic would have more stuff to read on your page therefore will stay longer and may even come back.

"Titles" - I  changed it a few times even after I published. I know the words in the title of building envelope one have low searching rate, that is why google analytics shows most of my visits were referred. I will try your suggestion of putting the qualifier after.

"Building Envelope hub content " - Yes, you are very right to the point about the "abrupt " impression.  Actually, I developed this "building envelope" hub from one of my old school papers. I have been trying to make it more proper for internet reading and I guess I got a little impatient when realizing I might have to fill more background information into it.  The challenge is how to make it more interesting and easier for people  to follow especially for those who don't have background knowledge.  I will continue tweaking my published hubs.

Again thanks for your help. I do feel lucky that I stumbled on hubpages accidently and this is really a great place for learning and communicating with people who share common interests

1. LetitiaFT profile image72
          LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Happy to oblige!

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Welcome to HubPages smile I would suggest writing down key points in point form wink then write it into a chronological order. Makes writing it out way simpler wink as mentioned, if subjects overlap, create a new hub with the new subject and link them together. We all started out the same way wink next to no traffic, so don't fret, just build up your portfolio. Also, time management. Spend one day Hubbing, another day promoting smile makes the process enjoyable (somewhat) lol

Thank you for the advice. Yes, for now, I should just focus on making a few good quality hubs. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)