GM And China

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image76
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I was watching a news report about the supposed comeback of GM. And, I was kind of sad by what I heard about their business ventures in China.

After receiving an 800 billion dollar bailout from the fed, which probably saved a lot of american auto workers jobs, (The ones where GM did not already close factories down) we now learn that business is booming for them in China. The report talked to GM execs who claimed that the American auto sales in China could reach 30 million autos sold every year, to the tune of billions in sales. Sounds like great news for america right? NOT!!

Instead of reinvesting that money in America, and producing the 30 million plus cars in the United States, the company plans to build and sell all of those 30 million cars by building auto factories in China. Which once again screws auto workers in the United States out of jobs. Which makes one wonder how long before all of the so-called American cars will be made in China, and shipped here like everything else. Something the US government is saying nothing about.

So, the question is, how long can GM claim the Chinese love affair with American made cars be legitimate if all the cars it sells are not made in America. That just stinks to me. Especially when the company stands to make billions. I say tax the crap out of them, and make them pay back every sent of the bailout money, and give it to all the US auto workers who have already lost their jobs.

We have allowed our government to let American corporations to get far too much for far too long.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

You mean you haven't yet come to the conclusion that government's don't have the final say as to what goes on in America?   I'm talking about the heads of the corporations which donate big money to political campaigns with the tacit proviso that when that government gets in it will certainly look favourably - if not downright approve - the proposals put forward by those who enabled it to get into office.   I don't pretend to know what goes on in any detail in any government, but I did hear somewhere that there are more professional 'lobbyists' than there are congressmen and women whose job it is to sway government decision makers their clients' way.

I doubt very much that the current US government is going to tax GM in order to recover all that bail out money...maybe someone does...

3. brimancandy profile image76
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Just a comment. The deal that Obama, Jennifer Granholm, and Debbie Stabinow made with GM to keep them out of filing Chapter 13, was a bailout loan, in which GM will have to pay back a certain amount of the bailout, but it doesn't claim how much, or for how long GM will have to pay that money back.

My guess is that GM will keep up up it's end of the bargain, and as soon as the payback is complete, they will probably be like any other American Company that has jumped ship for lower wages, and begin closing up shop. They made the same deals with the Electrolux company, which sells appliances, and added a voucher program which was a lot like "Cash for clunkers" and, as soon as that program ended, and the government gravy train expired. The Company closed it's factories in Michigan and moved all of it's operations over seas. Only they raked in huge profits.

So, the US government is not the problem. It's Corporate greed. Which is something our government should be doing more to stop. The Companies claim the general public will benefit by lower prices on their goods. But, so far, the cost of those products has only gone up, while the cost of making them has dropped nearly 80 percent. In some countries even more.

4. atechwiz profile image64
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

I too feel that it is not just GM doing this.  I understand the point being made was with regard to the bailout however.  Corporations are in many ways evil when it comes to making money.  I remember working for a company that constantly, and I mean constantly, reminded us American workers that if we failed to meet quota that the corporate office would close our facility and open a new one in Mexico.  I understand companies need to make a profit but perhaps if they reduced the pay of their management teams then profits could still be obtained and we could once again be proud when we buy products that are made in the USA.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)