SUGGESTION: Please Restore the Sharing Box Features

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

Some of us don't have all day to visit all the places we share our work on.  I, personally do not have that many tabs that I can open up to share my work on.  Please add it back.  I was told that when it was up some people used it as spam.  Can you explain to me and others here how it was used as spam and why HP Staff cannot fo get just those who are misusing the system?

1. MickiS profile image74
      MickiSposted 11 years ago

Lady Guinevere, thanks for the suggestion. We took the Sharing box down for two reasons:

1. It was very little used. The people who are active participants in the Communities that were featured there have other methods (tools from those sites, copy/paste, etc.) to share Hubs with those Communities.

2. What use there was of the feature was often abuse. Using it to share your own Hubs in Communities where you are not an active participant is overly self-promoting, and that is not a practice that we endorse.

In the new Hub design we were trying to make the page simpler and easier for readers to engage. To clutter it with features that were not very often used (and prone to abuse) made it more likely that users would click on nothing.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
        PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I liked that feature too, Lady Guinevere. The share button was a convenience to those of us who do use it properly. It seems a shame to be penalized for those who don't. That and the bookmark feature that is no longer available. And the print feature. I often would print out hubs and take them to people (like my Mom) to read off line.

A lot of the things about the HubPages site that made it great are changing and being dropped. And strangely enough it coincides with the drop in traffic.
        Peg

Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Peg.

Why is Hubpages catering to those who do not use the feature respectably?  Why are they not going after those who do not use it wisely instead of doing other things.  That just doesn't make any sense.  Show me where it was "very little used" versus those who misused it?  I want numbers not guesses.

Do any of you in Management ever ask what features we want or don't want?  Do any of us even matter to you?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't need a box to share, what stops you from sharing in your favourite sites. Sharing too many places can be counterproductive anyway. And people are informed when I publish a new hub, that is enough for me.

2. MickiS profile image74
          MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can still print. We made a style sheet in the html of the page that when you use Print from any web browser, it prints the page the same as the the Print button did. And, since the vast majority of web users use the print function of their browsers, it's one less item that was needed in the page.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
            PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi MickiS,
            Thanks so much for your response, really. It makes things a little more understandable when a "real" person answers an inquiry. Yes, I figured out how to print by using print preview then reducing the size until I get the number of pages I can live with. My point was that change is difficult and there are so many changes that are happening all at once to us here. So many of the features we liked seeing and grew comfortable with using...I will just have to get over it and move along now.
            neutral

Thanks again.
            Peg

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

The options I miss the most in the "share" feature is the url with the tracker already inserted.

Exactly!!!

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was another option which provided a short url, this was good for sharing with limited characters, Twitter!  If you use tinyurl, everyone thinks it is spam or infected.

1. Cagsil profile image69
            Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Reality,

Your URL is no longer counted as character on your Tweets, because Twitter automatically shorts the URL if it's too long and inserts it's own version of the URL.

Notice: t.co on your hubs or traffic sources. These are from Twitter.

2. MickiS profile image74
            MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's still a Twitter share button the Hub.

2. Cagsil profile image69

Then travel to the bottom of the page and click on "link to this page" and you'll still be able to.

I do not see it, though I may be missing it.  I just noticed an extra Adsense block at the bottom.  smile

I did find the short url, thanks.

It's at the very bottom in the gray area.

I found it.  Thanks.

You're welcome. smile

2. Lady Guinevere profile image68

You still have to open pages to all the other social site you belong to and post it on them.  As with the box it would automatically log you onto that site.  A lot less clicks and tabs and windows to open.  Some of us are not computer wizzes, not talking about me of course, but others out there. 

The comment that it was easy to spam, that doesn't make any sense because they can still spam all over the place if they aren't active on those sites.

Hey Lady G,

The point she was making is that it's not harder to do the SPAM on other sites.

So why penalize the rest of us for doing what is so easily done by everyone else?

1. Haunty profile image73
                      Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It should be fairly easy to access those sites individually if you use them on a regular basis. The point is you should only post your links on sites where you are active anyway as a community member. Otherwise it's justs spamming.

2. Cagsil profile image69

Hey Lady G, sorry for the typo. Apparently it made my sentence's context out of whack.

Substitute- now for not.     Not=now.

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 11 years ago

The option for the short URL is still available under HubMetrics

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)