Ronald Regan

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

Many say Ronald Regan, former US President in the 1980s, knew how to look into the camera and please everyone. Do you agree.

1. UnnamedHarald profile image93
      UnnamedHaraldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, he didn't please me. Every time he spoke, his patronizing and condescending act made me cringe. If we didn't agree with him, we were naughty children. I still don't understand how he became so elevated in the pantheon of presidents. The 1980's were pretty rough as we the people got trickled on. Thus began the stagnation of the middle class and the transfer of wealth in this country.

2. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello, Marwan. 

It seems the legend of Ronald Reagan grows with time because the public has a short memory. Ronald Reagan was a trained actor, a successful salesman, and a President with the ability to look you in the eye and lie.

I remember his theories about “trickle down” economics and “Reaganomics.” They did not work then and they do not work today. The Congressional Budget Office reported in 1982 that Americans with incomes less than $10,000 paid an average of $240 more after his 1981 tax cuts. On the other hand, those making more than $80,000 saved on average $15,130. His tax cuts were so draconian that he had to raises taxes 11 times in 8 years to maintain fiscal stability! If you think tax cuts create jobs, you should examine the results of the Reagan tax cut. During 1982 and 1983, the unemployment rate reached more than 10-%, the highest in 42 years. Within a year, 11.9 million Americans were unemployed. The nation’s poverty rate climbed to 15% in 1983 to become the highest level in twenty years. A congressional study in 1984 revealed more than 500,000 Americans fell below the poverty level thanks to the “Gipper.” I also remember a statement made by one of Reagan’s cabinet members, “I don’t know of any authoritative figures that there are hungry children … people go to soup kitchens because the food is free and that’s easier than paying for it.”
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

3. Sagittarius 2012 profile image60
      Sagittarius 2012posted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Please everyone"???
      Ronald Reagan engaged in the most public rebukes of Israel and he never visited the Jewish state. 

Regan significantly strengthened the Arabs by selling them some of America’s most sophisticated weapons. In 1981, Reagan successfully overcame the Israeli lobby’s opposition to his proposed sale of AWACS radar planes to Saudi Arabia. This was a watershed event because the lobby never mounted a significant challenge to an arms sale again. The AWACs campaign was also notable for its nastiness. It was cast as Reagan versus Israeli Prime Minister Begin, and the President did not hide his distaste for the Israeli leader.

Also in 1981, Israel bombed the Iraqi reactor at Osirak. Reagan was furious and the U.S. supported the UN Security Council resolution condemning Israel. .

While other presidents privately threatened to withhold aid or take other measures against Israel, Reagan did not hesitate to publicly punish Israel. After Israel annexed the Golan Heights in 1981, Reagan suspended the strategic cooperation agreement prompting Begin to accuse Reagan of treating Israel like a “banana republic.” 
      The U.S. also suspended the delivery of F-16 jet fighters to Israel after the raid on Osirak. 
      When Israel decided to launch Operation Peace for Galilee, Reagan was initially supportive, but he gradually soured on the Israeli operation as it dragged on and drew U.S. forces into the Lebanese quagmire. 
      In August 1982, Reagan gave Yasser Arafat and the PLO leadership protection from Israel and allowed them to go into exile in Tunis. 
      More significantly, in December 1988, Reagan authorized the State Department to enter into a dialogue with the PLO, reversing the U.S. policy of refusing to recognize PLO. This ended Israel’s hope of marginalizing the PLO and stimulating the development of an alternative leadership. This made Oslo possible, but, today, Israel and the United States are trying to undo the Oslo agreement.

During the Lebanon war, unknown to Israel, Reagan formulated a new diplomatic initiative designed to stimulate peace negotiations, improve Israel-Egypt relations and provide impetus for Jordan to join the peace process. It was also aimed at pleasing those Arab states who had accepted PLO evacuees from Beirut and signaling them that the U.S. was seeking a solution to the Arab-Israeli conflict. Israel alone was not involved in the new American thinking.

On September 1, 1982, Reagan announced that he believed the Palestinians should have self-government in association with Jordan and said that Jerusalem should remain undivided. He called for a settlement freeze and suggested that Israel could not be expected to return to the 1967 borders. Begin rejected the plan and when he heard about it said: “It is the saddest day of my life.”

While Israel drew the United States into Lebanon, it was the United States that drew Israel into the Iran-Contra affair. The sale of U.S. arms to Iran through Israel began in the summer of 1985, after receiving the approval of President Reagan.

Reagan was very tough on Israel, and some of his policies caused both short and long-term damage to Israeli aggressive policy.

And what about Communist Rusia?

4. twosheds1 profile image61
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

He definitely used his abilities as an actor to his advantage, but he was a horrible president and person.

5. MaestroECMcCloud profile image74
      MaestroECMcCloudposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, President Reagan and his policies both domestic and foreign, are largely to blame for the mess this country is in now. The deregulation of financial institutions started by him and continued by his successor is what is at the root of this current recession. It took a while, but it finally came back to bite us in the posterior.                                                                Yet when he was in office, I don't recall large groups of protesters gathering every time I turned on my Tv. Nor do I recall those who opposed him being so bold and disrespectful the way they are with President. Obama.

6. undermyhat profile image61
      undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Supply Side Econimcs is a specific theory that did lead to multiple years of economic growth and an end to the disastrous Carter Economy.  To employ and paraphrase the curretn President, Ronald Reagan didn't do that by himself.  The Democrats in Congress were essential to the Reagan economy.  Where is the praise for their accomplishments, after all Presidents do not raise taxes or pass budgets - Congress does. 

In fact, Ronald Reagan has become the favorite President, other than his predicessor in reincarnation - Abrahan Lincoln - pf Barrack Obama and the Democrats.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/us/po … .html?_r=1

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

His last name is "Reagan," not "Regan" -- just sayin'

1. MaestroECMcCloud profile image74

Lol.I was wondering how long it would be before someone pointed that out to him.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image61
        Vladimir Uhriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People believe everything what is in the print.

3. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

Thanks

4. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

Ronald Reagan was the best actor who ever played president.
    http://youtu.be/_zHN4vCfwh4
    Bonzo goes to Washington DC

5. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

Sorry, President Reagan was the beginning of this economic and unemployment mess, we're experiencing today.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello! Not only that, but he fooled everyone into believing the cold war is over!

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyqNqq0l8ySJnA_gzoJiI3LgZurLvjoBKjSrG9F7tuzqHDEnuKZQ

I'll bet everything I made on HubPages this month that it will get hot soon enough
      That's probably what all of this gun control stuff is about.

Well if President Obama is smart, he will stay away from issues regarding gun control. Who knows how much money the NRA has already put into Mitt Romney's campaign? 2nd amendment debates are not going to bode well for Obama in an election year. That's the last thing gun enthusiasts want to hear.

1. twosheds1 profile image61

And, ironically, Obama has done nothing on gun control, whereas Mitt Romney signed an assault weapons ban while governor of Mass.

1. Quilligrapher profile image74
            Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Howdy, Twosheds1. I don’t think we have ever exchanged ideas before, so I am happy to have this opportunity today.

I see your statement above as a good example of a half-truth that is designed to intentionally confuse and misguide readers. If I may, I would like to add the missing half to this half-truth.

Provided half truth:
            Mr. Romney, as governor of Massachusetts in 2004, signed a bill containing several features favored by gun-owning proponents. It also contained a ban on the sale of assault weapons similar to the combat weapon used in the Colorado massacre that was designed to kill 50 to 60 people a minute. Gov. Romney defended his mixed message legislation by saying, "I believe the people should have the right to bear arms, but I don’t believe that we have to have assault weapons as part of our personal arsenal." {1}

Missing half truth:
            Candidate Romney now supports the sale of assault weapons. His campaign web site declares his latest position on the subject, “Mitt does not believe that the United States needs additional laws that restrict the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.”

Put the two half truths together and you begin to see the whole truth. Mr. Romney is not an individual with firm, unshakable ideals. He avoids defining himself and his goals for fear that the whole truth will cost him the election.

This characteristic Romney flip-flop began in May 2005 when the governor declared a “Right to Bear Arms Day” and his staff scheduled frequent meetings with the state's Gun Owners League. In November 2005, Gov. Romney signed a bill to trim regulations opposed by gun owners. The following year he joined the National Rifle Association. {2}

I thank you, Twosheds1, for contributing your half-truth. Together, we are able to reveal the whole truth.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
            {1} http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-b … ons-2012-7
            {2} http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/07/2 … apons-ban/

President Obama has done nothing on gun control because he knows it is a slippery slope. Any smart Democrat would stay away from that issue. Every time one of them is elected, gun sales go up in the interim between election and inauguration. In Obama's case, they went up astronomically the day after his election. This may have been helped by the Christian right telling their members that the end is near and Obama is the Antichrist.

1. twosheds1 profile image61

Indeed. Obama is wise enough to know not to touch the issue, but that still doesn't stop the gun lobby from painting him as a gun control advocate. The brouhaha over the UN arms trade treaty is a perfect example. The UN's web site says it is a treaty regarding miltary hardware, but groups like the NRA are saying Obama is allowing the UN to take firearms from US citizens. Here's the UN link:
                http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/

6. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image61
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 11 years ago

This about sums it up for me . . .

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/Reagan.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/trickledown.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/reagan@100.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/reaganfifty.jpg

7. eaglecreek profile image60
    eaglecreekposted 11 years ago

Ronald Reagan was a corporate yes man and nothing more, that is why there is so much BS propaganda building him up to be the greatest ever.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)