Bored with my career, which is a dead end one any suggestions?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 11 years ago

I have worked as a vendor for major companies over the past 18 years and never been able to get a full time job in my life that would offer benefits, retirement, health insurance or any of the things that would make them worth working for.

I use to enjoy working and making good money, now I work for 12 part-time companies with no benefits, no way to move up to better paying positions with any of these companies, can't afford to relocate, can't really afford to live where I am.

This is leading me to be bored of going to work for these companies but I cant quit because I can't get anthing better where I am.

If anyone is in the same position, feel free to post and if you have been in the same position and made changes feel free to post as I need to know if it is better to be bored where I am or if there are actually ways to change my situation.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I am seventy. I am on fixed income. Unless I win the lottery nothing is ever going to get any better. If I am vertical, I am doing good. So this is it. What I want is for nothing to get worse. They used to say the army is what you make it. What I make it is great. To get better is to add something material, which would take time away from my intellectual being. If they offer me material love, I will have to take it, 'cause I am a material being. So what I have is right now, and that has to be good enough. However my intellectual being makes it great, 'cause it is what I make it.

3. profile image0

I am way younger than you and my income is variable meaning I can have a paycheck of $0 to whatever in a week nothing stable or guaranteed.  There are no jobs in my area that pay more than miminum wage for 20 hours or less a week no full time jobs and the next county to me is 90% welfare recipients.

I own my own home so don't want to have to move and fall into debt and still not have a full time job.
    I have tried online selling and other venues but still can't seem to make enough money each year to keep up with the basics of living.  Heating oil needed for the winter months is over $2000 and gas to go to work is always hovering around $4.00 a gallon and the closest city is 30 miles away.

I guess I am looking for the american dream life that I thought was a reality when I was younger but have now found that no matter how much or hard you try to make it in america it will never be a living dream.

I play the lottery once in awhile and know that I have absolutely no luck and might just as well fo to work and hate it and make a dollar rather than spend a dollar and know that I am throwing it into the governors pocket for him to waste.

4. tamron profile image65
    tamronposted 11 years ago

I have a friend who gets $600 a mnth. from SSI he has one house paid for and he rents another house for $600 a mth.

He goes around and picks up junk.  Mostly metal cleans it so he can make more money.  He also sells parts or anything he can clean up.

Also he gets help from people like me who will call him and either give him stuff he can recycle or I call him if I see stuff he can recycle while out running Arrons.

If you have a small truck or a small trailer to pull with your vehicle you could make some money that way.

5. profile image0

There are so many people near where I live that are on fixed income or welfare and they do this junk collecting and buying under the table and there isn't even a tin can on side of the roads here.

I would starve to death if I went into the junking business around here.

Might work for some people some places.

6. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Are you good with arts, crafts, or woodworking? Do you have the tools and materials enough to get started on at least one or two items and go to a church flea market to sell them? Can you put up your own sign in your yard describing you have things to sell?

Can you bake muffins or breakfast items and sell them at the gates or parking lot of a local factory? I know a woman that started her own business and simply went door to door everywhere she was allowed to sell her baked items and lunch sandwiches.

Can you write articles for pay online? Can you baby sit at your home or others? Do you have ANYTHING that you DON'T use and can sell?

Is it possible that you could sell your home at any profit and downsize?

It's important to think carefully about your priorities and begin from there. Everyone's goals are different but there are a wide variety of ways to make money, some are so simple that we overlook them and others require planning and effort to accomplish.

7. Green Bard profile image71
    Green Bardposted 11 years ago

These days I think having a job of any kind is a very good thing even if it's boring. I don't think it is right that the world is like this but that is how it is. We all need income from somewhere. I make so little  as a writer and musician that I have problems paying my rent each month and can't afford to do much, so even though I live on a wonderful subtropical island without money I may as well be somewhere else where there is a better chance of getting a job that pays.

And as for what I own, I think if you took all my possessions and sold them secondhand, if $1,000 was raised for the lot it would be a very good result!

8. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 11 years ago

As a highly successful person in my own field, I can tell you that my formula for success was this: I found out what I wanted to do, and how to go about doing it from following strictly (like a recipe you've never done before) the advice in Richard Bolles' What Color is Your Parachute? Then I followed through on 95% of the advice I was given by industry professionals instead of trying to do things my own way, and worked my tail off for twenty years. Now I have exactly the life and job I wanted, and a very nice salary to keep things going.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)