In this 21st century have the privileged got too greedy?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (139 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

In this 21st century have the privileged got too greedy?

If as humans all we need is food&water, shelter, love, work and belief shouldn't we be cutting down on our material luxuries?
    Is corporate greed to blame for the current recession and financial anxiety?
    Are tax havens for the rich immoral?

2. Diane Lockridge profile image88
    Diane Lockridgeposted 11 years ago

Aren't we all pretty privelidged when you think about it? We have computers, phones, electricity, air conditioning, cars.... I could go on and on here. Corporations produce things that consumers buy. So, why not blame consumers for society's ills, since it's their choice to purchase or not to purchase?

chef-de-jourposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I see. Choice is important but who decides how many choices we have? Is that through customer demand or business principles of expansion at all costs. So you have 5 choices of deodorant for example, why not 15? From seven different companies.

Diane Lockridgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your logic is flawed. Corporations don't cause greed. They supply product, the greed or lack thereof is a choice on the part of the person.

3. daskittlez69 profile image75
      daskittlez69posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree, lets look at your electric company, gas company, trash company etc...  You do not have any choices there.  If you want the service you have to go with them.  And they are the only choice.

4. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dark, we do have choices with those things...and we'd have more choices if people would speak up, vote and hold politicians accountable...leS's government and more free market.

5. ElderYoungMan profile image68
      ElderYoungManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brainwashed.  We have so much that we don't look at those things that are needful.  Food, Water & Shelter/Land.  Man made none of it, but we buy it from other men who stole control of it.  That didn't come from the population, it came from the ri

6. Keith Engel profile image68
      Keith Engelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Disagree with someone on the right and he is likely to think you obtuse, wrong, foolish, a dope. Disagree with someone on the left and he will think you selfish, a sell-out, insensitive, possibly evil, greedy, or brainwashed.

7. American Romance profile image60
      American Romanceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

chef..........you answered your own question as to Americas greatness!  Come up with  a better deodorant and you too live the American dream my friend!

8. chef-de-jour profile image97

Haha, Romance. If greatness was measured in deodorant choice! I like it. Better still if greatness was measured in generosity, humanity and clarity, especially when it comes to stored (stagnant) wealth- the deprived perish. We should try and stop it.

9. Mitch Alan profile image80

Chef, how do you share your time and money to fight your fight? I hope you give as much as you demand of others.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image56
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6932799_f260.jpg

Yes, but they aren't any greedier than the "Robber Barons" of the past. We need to rein them in now, like they did back then. Unfortunately, our lawmakers have seen fit to change the laws to allow our present day Robber Barons operate with impunity.

1. Mitch Alan profile image80

What "Robber Barons" are you referring to specifically? What do you see as the "inpunity" that is practiced...and be specific.

2. chef-de-jour profile image97

Maybe here you're talking about tax and whether those with loads of money and influence (your RB's)can pay legal advisors to help them channel cash into Swiss Banks and so forth, denying the economy the flow necessary for more needful distribution?

3. WD Curry 111 profile image56
      WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google "Robber Barons".  Derivatives. I live in Florida. Thousands lost billions. Some dude in NY made billions on derivatives, that were made illegal after the depression. I could go on - limited here. Search "Can You Bank on It" WD Curry 111 for mo

WD Curry, I meant current RB types...but, will look up your Hub when i get a chance.

The "Robber Barons" have outsmarted themselves.  With all of the manipulations and new laws, they forgot one basic law.  Equilibrium.  It works a lot like gravity, but you can't tell that to the greedy.

4. SportsBetter profile image63
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

The only reason the rich get richer and the poor get poorer is because there is a transfer of wealth from the poor and the middle class to the wealthy.

This happens because the money supply is increased and the value of the dollar goes down. Poor and middleclass can't afford products and services because prices rise.  When the government prints money prices go up, which doesn't effect the rich.  The rich don't mind paying more because they can afford it.

You're right. With corruption rife in the banking system we need a thorough overhaul. But who can do this? Judges can jail fraudsters but the buck stops with politicians. Democracy wherefore art thou?

"Democracy" isn't the answer- PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is.

3. SportsBetter profile image63
      SportsBetterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The politicians will always cater to the banks.  The only way it will work is to remove government power.  Without power the government can't give out benefits to corporations.  The people also need to understand this to put pressure on politicians.

4. American Romance profile image60

How does one transfer zero wealth to the wealthy?  How do you take money from someone that doesn't have any?.............this comment makes no sense.

5. SportsBetter profile image63

Well they have money just not much. Through taxes, through inflation.  Poor pay higher prices and that money is transferred to the wealthy corps because the poor buy their products to survive.  If they had money of value they could buy more spend les

6. stanwshura profile image71
      stanwshuraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AR, SB did not allege or even *IMPLY* zero wealth.  Taken literally (the only correct interpretation of verbal communication), those of/with zero wealth would die of starvation, assuming the "3-3-3" theory is fact, not fable, in less than a month!

5. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

What is your definition of the "priveledged"? Is this someone who has worked hard and earned their money or someone who feeds off off society while giving little to nothing back?
    The federal economic disaster is due to a federal government that is involved in so many things that it has no Constitutional right to be involved in and to it's massive and continuing overspending.
    On a personal level, we are in debt because we buy more than we can afford and then try to blame others for a position.
    There is nothing wrong with having the "toys" we want if we can afford them. And, there is nothing wrong with success.

1. Diane Lockridge profile image88

AGREED!

True, there'll always be poorer people around and true we all need incentives-  the free market allows us to accumulate non stop. But when is enough too much? I'd start at the top and regulate tax havens for the mighty and corporate fat cats.

3. Keith Engel profile image68

So, the privileged are greedy and of course the rich is what is keeping people down I suppose. Hell if I could I would setup a tax haven myself.

http://keithengel.hubpages.com/hub/Who- … iting-Whom

Chef, "enough" is whatever an individual decides to do w/ their OWN $. As to your 2nd point, the more regulations & costs associated w/ business, the higher the price of goods & services. The answer is a flat/fair tax...not a punitive tax for

Brainwashed.  How many times does this government and the people who own it have to spit in your face before you realize that it's not the player or his or her hard work or integrity.  It's the game.  It's rigged.  It always has been.  Wake up.

6. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mitch, I totally agree.  Why all this animus against the rich and/or successful among us!  If you got it, use, flaunt, and enjoy.   Poverty is not a chic lifestyle.    People need money to live well. Thank you kindly and the more, the better!

7. ElderYoungMan profile image68

@GMWilliams..Is that what you plan on telling the Father when your time comes?  Golden!!  AWESOME...  You win the prize today.

8. SportsBetter profile image63

Take away government powers and they can not auction them to corporations.  Get rid of government power by eliminating the Federal Reserve.  The Fed perpetuates the system of debt.  They are insurance for Govt and Corps so they don't have to compete.

9. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000, EXACTLY!  Why are people CONCERNED w/what others EARN & WORK FOR?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, as long as they follow the laws and live according to The Golden Rule

Not all live according to laws / Golden Rule, and there is the problem.

The acquiring of wealth is not the problem. Its HOW the wealth is acquired.

6. whonunuwho profile image54
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

There is no difference in the greed of people from the beginnings of this country until the present. In fact, ever since mankind walked the earth, greed has permeated his mind and had a bad influence. No, there is no difference in greed and it seems that it will always be a directing force of the human condition. Because we have become more technological and communication is rapid today, we are able to see and label greed much more and it cannot escape the public eye.

Greed plus corruption - we've always had corruption but moral climates can change jut like the weather. Wouldn't it be fair to take some of the safe trillions of dollars greedily stashed away to distribute to starving/sick children?

2. ElderYoungMan profile image68

Don't rationalize it.  That's the problem.  We do so much in explaining how long we've been afflicted with the condition and why that we do nothing to change it.  It's not to be rationalized but eradicated.  That's what the Father has wanted always.

3. American Romance profile image60

Why do all of you want ambition punished? Without the ambitios we wouldn't have the middle class nor jobs..........come on people! We use to celebrate success and now Obama has you punishing it!  Go get a job from a poor person

4. ElderYoungMan profile image68

What these people have done has nothing to do with ambition, but you have to have some kind of moral compass to understand that.  You'll never see evil in creating $$ if that's what you worship.  24 empty houses to 1 homeless citizen..Ambition?

7. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

If as humans all we need is food, water, shelter, love, work and belief shouldn't we be cutting down on our material luxuries?

I agree with all you said we need, and indeed this is our basic necessities.
    I don't think I have changed much since I was little. I am used to living simply.

Is corporate greed to blame for the current recession and financial anxiety? Are tax havens for the rich immoral?

It is much too narrow and much too simplistic a view..so I will not answer this one.

Thanks, ok, perhaps if I say- trillions of corporate dollars are locked away in tax haven accounts gathering interest whilst children are starving.......is that too narrow and simple?

2. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I do not mean that at all. Money is a means, that is all. We cannot go into the motives of men..at least I will not..because then we go into  lots of complications..I can only say greed is not necessarily the motive of some who accumulate wealth.

3. ElderYoungMan profile image68

HalleluYah sis.  Well said.  I don't feel so alone anymore!

4. American Romance profile image60

chef, who ever said it is up to corporations to feed the world?  Did you ever wonder why children starve in countries with jungles and plenty of rain?  THEY have to change their future, farming etc.

Who said it?  That would be YHWY Most High.  The message was repeated by his Son, Yahoshua Ha Masciach, that's who.  It's in the scriptures.  Leviticus & Deuteronomy.

8. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

Greed is somewhat fundamental to Capitalism and it does sometimes reward those who are the most greedy, but at the same time greed is somewhat fundamental to life and certainly isn't an exclusive condition of the wealthy. If a dude walks up to people on the street and hands them a million dollars, how many say no? Not very many I suspect.

As a natural organism, we are supposed to be greedy. The problem, however, in our case is that we have overcome any natural check against our success and so as a conscious entity we need to choose to self-limit our success, but that is an extremely difficult thing to do.

You can think of it as a bunch of people living in a house. For a long time the house just kept getting bigger and bigger and everyone was relatively happy, but now we have reached the limit for the size of the house. The rich and powerful, unable to get easy room by expanding outward, simply get more room by expanding inward and squeezing the rest of us into smaller and smaller spaces.

So, the problem is twofold. First recognizing there are limits to how much we can consume in totality, and second figuring out how to equitably distribute that level of consumption. Personally, I don't see any evidence we can do either. We will continue to fight internally for increasingly crowded space and continue to expand outwardly until we break the world. We are a monster eating itself, too stupid to stop.

That's a powerful image( man eating to explosion point), one Monty Python used in a movie of theirs (Meaning of Life?). The crux seems to be whether accumulation of wealth - tax havens etc- remains amoral...children starve..make another documentary?

2. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think wealth is immoral. Of course people will define wealth differently. For some, 5 houses are just basic necessities. I think when you start filling your pool with imported spring water, you have gone too far.

3. Mitch Alan profile image80

Junk, "wealth is immoral"?...So, a person works hard and accumulates "wealth" and this is bad? Where do jobs and most charity come from? the poor or the rich? Wealth is nuetral, neither good nor bad...it is the use that makes it one or the other.

4. junkseller profile image79

So the Master collects the world's bounty at his table and I'm supposed to say thank you for the scraps he sweeps on the floor? His collection isn't a result of hard work or talent. It is a result of greed. He has taken my bounty and I want it back.

5. Mitch Alan profile image80

Junk, if you mean the over burdensome tax that businesses and the top 20-50% pay, then I agree...if you mean businesses that took the risk and gained profit for it, then no...what have you been denied because someone else prospered?

6. ElderYoungMan profile image68

Here is the real problem.  The explanation should only have gone as far as the "and".  In a sane world, we would look for the sin that caused us to err and not rationalize it any further than finding it.  After finding it, we fix it and it is no more

7. junkseller profile image79

@Mitch - Denied? A future, world peace, equality, freedom.
      @Elder - Actually that sounds like a Biblical world. In a SANE world, we examine systems and alter them to achieve better outcomes.

8. Mitch Alan profile image80

Junk, instead of gereralities without substance, be specific. What future, equality, freedoms have you lost? and, how was it the success of someone else that caused it?

9. junkseller profile image79

Mitch, you've presented a reasonable disagreement and I appreciate that, but I was purposefully being a bit flippant. There's just no way to turn this 250 character-at-a-time forum into a critique of the whole of Capitalism.

10. Mitch Alan profile image80

Sure there is...one topic at a time; 250 character at a pop... smile

11. American Romance profile image60

What you call greed, I call ambition, work ethic, energy, movers, shakers, doers..................ever got a job from a poor person?

12. ElderYoungMan profile image68

Ever enslaved a bunch of "poor" people?  The system you love so much goes back to the tower of Babel and like that tower, the Most High brought it down and scattered the pagan who worshiped idols there.  1st world is no different.

13. chef-de-jour profile image97

People - bravo-  the debate has to close here-great work. Perhaps the need for a total review of the banking system is due along with transparency, a new moral financial code and fairer distribution of wealth based on saving young life world wide.

9. Alaxia profile image60
    Alaxiaposted 11 years ago

There has always been greed and there has always been the privileged. Nothing has changed. I would like to say that they have become more privileged and more greedy though this is just not true. Many privileged have always wanted all there is to offer and now there is just more on offer.

What will our future message be? We created so much we lost ourselves.... or we found ourselves? Or the question doesn't exist? Pile up trillions of dollars, send them off to a Swiss Bank. Surely some sort of regulation needs to be introduced?

2. Mitch Alan profile image80

Chef, the problem in with a federal government that is no longer constrained by the enumerated powers of the Constitution...private citizens should be able to grow their wealth and spend it as they see fit (legally).

There hasn't been any real wealth in this country since the greedy sold it and its citizens into slavery back in 1913.

10. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 11 years ago

I do not believe that the privileged have gotten too greedy.  Times have just changed.  There are more privileged people in the world than there used to be.  Especially in terms of society as a whole.  You and I are very privileged when it comes to many other people in this world.

Agreed, we're in the lap of luxury. I just wonder about the boundaries sometimes, knowing when to stop? The fat cats are taking too much double cream and leaving us with empty smashed bottles. Pick up the pieces. Far far too easy for them to exploit.

Chef, what have you been denied as a result of someone else having "too much"?

11. lrc7815 profile image82
    lrc7815posted 11 years ago

I'm not sure they've gotten too greedy but I do believe the privileged have gotten too comfortable.  When you have everything or, can acquire anything, it is easy to get complacent.  That said, the reality is that it can all be gone in a minute and those that aren't privileged, probably adjust a lot easier.  Severe weather, fires, or catastrophic illness is not selective.  The privileged are not immune. 

With age, I have become much less materialistic.  But then, I'm not privileged.  I've run the gamut from being poor to being comfortable.  Comfortable is better but I haven't forgotten what it is to be poor and it makes it easier for me to let go of "things". 

I am conflicted over this political idea that the wealthy should pay more taxes.  I don't know the right answer.  If the wealthy paid more taxes and the government designated those funds to help families who are burdened with debt due to illness or injury, I would whole-heartedly vote in that direction.  If the excess taxes were used to help seniors live safely and comfortably, I would vote for it.  But I'm not sure how I feel about someone who has been successful having to pay additional taxes only to pay the government.  It's a tough call. 

I don't believe that corporate greed is the cause of the recession.  I believe our government has mismanaged spending for so long that it finally caught up with us.  Take Medicaid for example. Why do we continue to give food stamps and health care to women who continue to have babies without naming the fathers and without having to work?  Life is about balance.  We should cut off their funding after two babies.  Food stamps is another sore spot.  Why do we continue to give out food stamps to those that aren't even looking for work?  We should make them show up for a drug test before handing them food stamps.  Initially it might cost us more (for the test) but look what we would save by eliminating those that are spending their money on drugs instead of food. 

It's a huge subject and now that you've gotten me thinking about it, I'll probably write another Hub.  lol 

Good, thought-provoking question!

1. Eve Mitchell profile image61
      Eve Mitchellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Domestic programs like Meidcaid and food stamps aren't the cause of our massive deficit.  Take a look at our military spending, and how much that has increased.  Furthermore, deficit spending isn't responsible for this recession.  Personal greed is.

I know! Bugs me how with all these educated Harvard&Oxbridge economy experts nobody can sort the accounts out! You see, propaganda helps us pinpoint the poor as demons but what about the big rich boys and girls at the top. What are they up to now

She gave you the best answer so far! She is right! Blame government not those who create jobs and grow the economy. They outsource because of govt also!

4. chef-de-jour profile image97

We need to find a new order of moral priorities now that we're truly global. It's a shift in mindset. Yes earned money is 'owned' until taxed. Money is never neutral, it makes or it breaks people. Starving children are last in line -that's wrong.

12. Eve Mitchell profile image61
    Eve Mitchellposted 11 years ago

In a lot of ways, people of the first world in general are greedy.  We live in an instant-gratification society...meaning we want what we want, when we want, and how we want, no matter what our economic standing is. 

However, I think that there are people in certain sectors who take that a lot further than they should. There is a surprising number of Wall Street execs who believe that, in order to achieve personal success, they sometimes have to behave in unethical, or even illegal, ways.  In other words, they don't care who they hurt or how many people they hurt or how badly, so long as THEY get their wealth.

Unfortunately, those sectors have a lot of influence over society and the economy as a whole. 

One of the things that's responsible for this is the "greed is good" attitude that became entrenched in our society 30 years ago.  Human nature is greedy, however, the greed that has become entrenched in our society is detrimental to us, because it rationalizes hurting the majority of society for the benefit of a few.  And enough influential people think that's perfectly okay, so it's going to continue to hurt our society. 

When you have that kind of influence, you do have to be careful about the ways in which you go about pursuing wealth and success.  Another thing that's responsible for it is the idea that nobody's responsible for anybody but himself.  So people don't feel that they should be held accountable for whatever ripple effects their actions have. 

It's not just the financial sector, or the government, or corporations, or even a combination of all three.  It's these attitudes, that I think are present in all of us because that's what we've been taught, but that the more influential tend to take to extremes.

Yes, OK, greed seems to outbox responsibility every time. The capitialist ethos has run amok. Tax havens legally set up where trillions of dollars lay gathering interest! Whilst children die of sickness an starvation? New Global Vision please.....

2. American Romance profile image60

So you have how many greedy wall streeters? 100? 5000? How many people live in this country? Millions have wealth, are they all greedy? I think not! The poor dont' give out jobs!

3. Eve Mitchell profile image61
      Eve Mitchellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Neither do the wealthy. Jobs are created by consumer demand. When demand is down, so are jobs. Gutting the biggest economic segment of this country to help the wealthy few is what's keeping the economy from recovering.

13. The Frog Prince profile image72
    The Frog Princeposted 11 years ago

Business cycles are part of the world economy.  Recessions are cyclical and usually don't last for as long as the current one we are witnessing.  They have nothing to do with corporate greed and everything to do with economic cycles.  The government, under this current administration, has made the current cycle last much longer than it should be. 

As to your immoral question.  Ask that of your legislators since they write the tax code and tax laws. 

The Frog

You make this sound like the weather! We need a new vision for the banking system and the free market regulated in certain areas. Accumulation of wealth in tax havens is immoral but made legal by people in power and propaganda.

You are brainwashed.  The business cycle is just an educated way of describing currency and material manipulation.  It's all controlled by the bank in order to ensure that you and I never achieve ownership, which means sovereignty, or better freedom.

14. Keith Engel profile image68
    Keith Engelposted 11 years ago

Of course, one of the biggest issues is that of envy. You have far to many people who are concerned about others. What others are making, what others have, what others are doing, what others aren't making, and on and on it goes.

Far too many people are concerned with what it is they don't have, and think they either deserve or should have, instead of just concerning themselves with well, themselves. This is just part of the one large game that is being played against people by the Government. They get people focused on the fact that this person is making far more money than you are and that they should be taxed more for some reason.

Why? One good reason has never been supplied to this question, only rationalizations. This money doesn't belong to you, just like how your money doesn't belong to somebody else. Your money is your money, no matter how big or how little that amount is, and another person's money, no matter how large or how small it is, doesn't belong to you.

And most certainly the money no matter how much is made, doesn't belong to the Government first, it belongs to you first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbfEkhcXbGg

It's high time the banking system was taken apart, and tax havens/dodges stopped. There are trillions of dollars greedily kept out of circulation. Why? Democracy has allowed it. How? Is this a form of stealing?

Brainwashed.  It has to be of concern when those who have the reigns have no sense of satisfaction.  A cell in your body with no sense of its own limits is called a cancer.  It's no different with the "Privileged".

3. Keith Engel profile image68

Actually, apparently, you aren't even intelligent enough to ask why such "tax havens" exist in the first place. All you are concerned about is what other people are doing with their money and figuring out how to steal that wealth.

Is it even possible to steal what has been stolen?  At what point did the "Wealth" stop being stolen?  The land came from the native americans, the labor and infrastructure..the African Americans...  What "Wealth" are you even talking about?

5. Keith Engel profile image68

It will be beautiful to actually see the collapse of society today as know it,I wonder how many will cry Foul when Survival of the Fittest is truly the rule of the land and they have their throats slit and raped by those they pander towards.

@Keith-What you are talking about is about 6 months away.  It's unfortunate that you don't recognize the seed that would crave hell on the earth, quick to blood so to speak. You get my drift on "Stolen" because you just described the "How".  Thanks..

7. Keith Engel profile image68

The vision of the anointed, got to love it. I suppose I should feel "guilty" then for what was done centuries ago and apologize. Progressives, bringing up crap that is long dead to make others "feel guilty" for some "perceived" wrong in the past.

8. ElderYoungMan profile image68

Is that what progressives do?  Too bad I'm not a progressive.  The hate that would covet rape and death damns you.  The guilt doesn't come from me, the Messiah is truth and He convicts you.  When "your" world comes, don't expect it to favor U.

9. American Romance profile image60

Excellent answer Keith!  Others money does NOT belong to you! I am so glad you get it!

10. ElderYoungMan profile image68

AR would say "Excellent Answer".  Even about wanting to get back to some good old fashioned terror, murder, rape and intimidation.  It's in his blood being his folks were slave owners.  He understands "Business"..."Work Ethic"..."Morality" ;-)

11. Keith Engel profile image68

Figuring the beginnings of my family immigrated into America during the early 1900s, I fail to see how it's in my blood and my folks being "slave owners".  @AR, of course I get it, anyway, I am done with this, can't argue with blind faith.

12. ElderYoungMan profile image68

"and they have their throats slit and raped" Says what's in your blood.  Know them by their "Fruit" is what the scriptures say.  I may be blind, but I can read.  Slavery is in AR's blood.  It seems that violence is in yours.

15. randslam profile image77
    randslamposted 11 years ago

The answer to your question will always be, "yes".  This has always been the case, as the history of humanity is about dominating lessers through political power, religious power, royal right to authority, etc., etc.

It would be great if we could stop the world, let everyone see the trillions of dollars hidden away doing nothing but gain interest, overhaul the banking system, stick inspectors on Wall ST, and aim to stop child starvation by 2020. A dream?

What is dominating about a person having wealth?  How do the rich dominate you?  This is nothing but a mere mindset you have.  You live in  America my friend and have the same opportunities they did. Ever  got a job from a poor person?

With guns and all of those jobs as private paid thugs to guard what your rich folks stole...kind of like you.  Did you ever take labor from from a poor person?

16. ElderYoungMan profile image68
    ElderYoungManposted 11 years ago

They were always too greedy.  It's just now in the 21st century, greed has become diseased.  The Father has struck them and they are no longer sane, so as to bring about the destruction of this system.  They who have the most to gain from it will be the people who destroy it.  Isn't that just like the Father?

17. Angela Blair profile image68
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

Seems all of us have gotten "greedy" as time goes on and often don't even recognize it. Corporate greed can't be blamed entirely for the attitude of this country today. We've been blessed and fortunate to have enjoyed comfort and security -- at least to a greater extent than most countries/individuals -- and have begun to take it for granted. As to tax havens for the rich -- how does that impact each of us personally? Some - yes -- most -- no. The word "greed" means different things to different people. I don't think I'm greedy if I have a second helping of something when eating. In third world countries a second helping of anything would be considered greedy -- if there was even a first. Material luxuries are just that -- luxuries -- and if one can afford them well and good. For those us of that can't afford them -- we're blessed to have the necessities of life and should be grateful for them and not envious of others.

You may be right. Creeping greed steals up 'like the proverbial thief'. But the banking system needs overhauling, a moral factor should be brought in. Personal wealth is fine but tax havens/dodges should be totally illegal!! Buying privilege? No.

Remember that those that can afford luxuries are the ones feeding those who can't..........jobs to build those luxuries keep us fed.

If these people are so busy feeding people, why are so man people starving?  Do you not read the bible and understand Levitical law?  Year of jubilee, corporate investment, usery law, gleening, all opposite concepts of what you describe.

18. JohnGreasyGamer profile image76
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 11 years ago

I won't lie - I have little to say here in comparison to what everyone else is. But a motto my dad goes by rings true here, "the more we have, the more we want". Plus, we're committing all kinds of crimes like lust, gluttony, avarice, violence, envy and such, so this effects religion too - something people are realy in need of due to all the horrors of the world becoming more and more numerous.

Religious element? Interesting. If we worship the dollar -and we do - we should democratically make it work for everyone as much as possible for the good. That should mean banning tax havens/loopholes and distribution to dying children. Why not?

This comment comes from YOU? If that is your real picture.............well they say a picture is worth a thousand words...................

19. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

Ohhhwwwww no, no, neeewwooooooooo.  Greed is a vice as old as existence itself.  I suppose, though that the moralistic tone of the word requires sentience, and then envy, then want, then intent.

We, damn damn damn it!, are the competitive life form...wait a sec they're ALL competitive - animal as the obvious one, but plant and mineral too!  Weed's devour a plant/bush/tree/flower's sustenance, and in some extreme examples, actually choke the plant in a slllllowwwww.....plant/nature-paced death. 

Are the weeds greedy?  Does the flower or tree have some magical claim to to water, sun, and soil nutrients not equally entitled weeds?  Do plants consume more than they need?  I've yet to see an obese oak tree. 

Similarly, do animals (wild, not domesticated and thus spoiled and corrupted with the taste for food THEY DON'T NEED.   But in the wild, are their any species that eat for enjoyment, then ask for the remote so they can switch from the TREE channel?

Power, choice, and, again, the egomaniacal (chest thumping "me have lots, you and me make more me, have big cave, no problem space!"), and back we go the the very Darwinian competitiveness that SO drives many of us.   Being bigger, better, "badder", and blinged out is wired into us to mean survival - of bio/survival, of family, of family line, of species...

...of...   ...rep??

Darwin, great addition. I think if we can however leave him, religion, cycles, history to one side and concentrate on a conscious decision to ban tax havens simply because legal advisors paid tonnes can easily set them up that would be a sane start.

You have no idea how deep what you just said actually is.  That's the Adamic curse of toil all the days of life on this planet.  Rejected knowledge is the idea that a curse is actually not a curse and should be accepted

20. American Romance profile image60
    American Romanceposted 11 years ago

Who or what got it in your head to ask such a question?   Why are the hav's to be envied?  The more a corporation makes usually means expansion and growth of the company, or at least history dictates this.  Therefore they usually need workers to help in the growth........meaning job openings?   I don't know about you but I have never been employed by a poor person??????????????

The banking system is corrupt, rates are being manipulated and tax havens exist, storing trillions of dollars- that's a start. This isn't about envy, it's about trickery,legal skulduggery and Swiss Banks and Islands= greed. Politicians lack will.

Chef, What is the "fair share" that a person should "give" in confiscatory taxes to be given to someone else who DID NOT EARN it? Give me a number...

3. chef-de-jour profile image97

OK Mitch, I'd start with the tax dodgers who hire legal advisors and stash huge amounts away. I'd stop this. I'd make it a global mission to build a fund for children who die unnecessarily, anywhere. Not a charity. A fair percentage - untaxed wealth.

4. gmwilliams profile image83

American Romance,  There seems to be envy against those more affluent among us who worked smart and hard to be where they are today.   What this young man is proposing is a totally socialistic philosophy.    Being poor is simply not chic!

5. rachellrobinson profile image84
      rachellrobinsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I saw an awesome story on Yahoo news about the CEO of Lenovo giving his bonus to the employees, dividing his bonus up and giving it willingly to the people under him that helped make him successful. He is not what I would consider greedy.

@AR...Still the Romantic I see.  The expansion model is what "Should" happen, but you aren't so silly as to think that it actually does anymore.  What's it going to take to open your eyes kid? Starvation, Slavery a FEMA camp?  That's what's up soon.

7. American Romance profile image60

How is zero percent interest rates trickery?  Back in the Carter era we had 21% interest rates, study history before you make silly judgements

8. ElderYoungMan profile image68

21% is too low.  Things ran better at 90%.

9. Mitch Alan profile image80

Elder, you want 90% interest rates? or, did you rush read that and thought she said 90% tax rate? Do you pay 90% tax rate? If not, why? You can give more to the government if you choose. If you meant interest rates, I'd like to lend you some money.

10. ElderYoungMan profile image68

Speed reading!  90% was a tax rate suggestion, not an interest rate.  ;-)  I have no problem with a justly levied tax rate this high IF the dollars are directed at curing the nations problems (not bailouts and invasions).  Taxes R supposed 2 B temp.

21. rafken profile image79
    rafkenposted 11 years ago

Nothing to do with the 21st Century. The privileged have always been too greedy. The trouble today is that we are starting to see the culmination of generations of elitists manipulations to become all powerful. What some call a "conspiracy theory" but in reality is a plan started years ago to ensure the very wealthy families stay that way and ultimately control the rest of humanity. They horde the real wealth, precious metals etc. and in return print us worthless paper money. When the time is right they will disregard paper money and bring back notes that are supported by a real value. That then will result in the masses having nothing and be beholden to the whim of the elite class. Middle class will be a thing of the past, there will only be the very wealthy and the "slave like" very poor.

1. ElderYoungMan profile image68

Ding.  There it is, very neatly wrapped up with a pretty little bow.

Today we have instant communication, global interaction as never before so the social conscience will begin to change, outmoded concepts of elite wealth fade away, I hope. The mechanisms are appearing, the political will not yet caught up.

The middle class came to be BECAUSE of the wealthy!  You guys really don't understand America.

4. chef-de-jour profile image97

The debate is whether enough is too much and too much=greed. Corporate ambition is naturally greedy,monopolies etc. But in this watershed century the moral aspect of wealth needs reviewing and fast. Tax break charity should also be looked at.

22. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

Old saying, "Follow the money!" Yes, the rich are greedy. Corporate greed by outsourcing and selling out the American worker is a good example of greed! Tax haven for the rich immoral? Any Republican it seems would say no. Some even believe they will invest that money into creating more jobs. Doesn't that sound familiar? (Reason I voted for President Bush, I fell for that line, hook, line and sink!)

True, profit margin is king,even to the detriment of US workers. Capitalism at its best, or worst! Tax havens are the creation of pure Greed, capital G. It needn't be this way. Balance has to be restored, not through socialism but by morality.

GM, GE, Boeing, all on the presidents job council...........all outsource to other countries and all get billions in tax dollars!...............Did I mention they are on OBAMAS job council?

Yep.  All of them are corrupt just like the office of the President.  There is no distinction between the corporate elitists or the politicians that they buy, to keep you in your place.  But you know that and would rather play the left/right game.

23. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

The rich have been getting richer and the poor getting poorer since the 60s. As they get richer, they get more powerful. Now, we've reached a point where 90% of Americans will be bankrupt before we die. A society where 90% of the people are poor and will go bankrupt sure meets my definition of "too greedy"!

1. American Romance profile image60

Greed?  The words ambition, success, work ethic, thinkers, etc. were the words used to describe what liberals today call greed.  Ever got a job from a poor person?  Stop listening to Obama

No, the word is greed.  A better two words is "Reprobate Minds"  Obama is more of a corporatist than you.  You need to raise your consciousness above the same old liberal/conservative childishness.

3. stanwshura profile image71
      stanwshuraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AR, liberals are just as familliar with Webster's (or dictionary.com) as re/cons.  Greed's def. has not one of those words you cited.   And you mock our "intellectualism"??  Methinks there is not a shred of nobility in being willfully wrong!

24. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 11 years ago

If we worked hard we have the privilege to get more money and thereby leading a comfortable life style.  It is the truth.

Yes, hard work should be rewarded on a fair and sustainable basis. Money earned should be put in to ethical banking systems that use cash generated to benefit those needing immediate help,like starving children anywhere in the world.

2. gmwilliams profile image83

Thank you a multillion times!

chef, there you go again? It is not the responsibility of business to sustain life for others?  Where do you get this? They create jobs so parents and family can feed their kids.

It actually comes from the scriptures.  YHWY blesses and the blessed give back.  Year of Jubilee, investment and gleening are the biblical concepts.  You worship at the Church of Babylon with Nimrod on your dollar.

25. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

People want more and more all the time and have become even more selfish

26. Princesscool profile image39
    Princesscoolposted 11 years ago

Money is the life blood of the circular flow. The more you have the more you will be able to invest and get a return on. That is why some people are using immoral ways to get to the top - corporate greed.

27. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

For instance: Do corporations tend to break the law more than say, the Mafia?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)