Have we become complacent in protecting our children?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. brittvan22 profile image74
    brittvan22posted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7043327.png
    I have noticed since the rise of social media, that it seems that boundaries have become cloudy as it pertains to our kids. I have seen people down right cross the light with calling someone's child under ten vulgar names and making obsene comments about the child. When you call them on it, they feel justified in their obscenities. Has it become ok to allow others to attack children? What has our society come to? Who is next arm babies?

1. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  I was unaware of this.  I will be on the lookout for it.

brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you go on any social media site such as facebook, twitter, some people lead personal attacks on behaviors, clothing, etc that they dislike about a child I will show you an example. I was on the page of Teresa Giudice, she often posts pictures of her children as a proud parent, much like many of us, posting pics and milestones, vacations, etc. She posts her daughters birthday pictures, the little girl was wearing a sparkly sundress. They called this six year old, whore, hooker, prostitute, trashy, promiscious, etc. It was truly a shame and disgrace. Even more sad, was they thought, they were defending their positions and justified in berating a child.

These are some responds to her posting a video of her daughter dancing with her friend.

Mike Compton dressed like a skank. at least her mom's teaching her something she knows, hah

August 6 at 3:04pm · Like · 12

Janna Magnusson anyone else find it disturbing that she dresses her girls like little hookers?

August 7 at 5:58am · Like · 8

Antoinette Giordano Melillo I am huge fan, but do these girls need to look they belong on the cast of the Jersey Shore? Why do they need to look like hoochies?

August 7 at 11:40am · Like · 3

These are responses to the negativity.

Tina Porcaro Haas Wow...people chill with the negativity...she is a CHILD for crying out loud ! G to the IA...you go girl !!

August 6 at 3:09pm · Unlike · 2.

Kelly Barandon-Gish Jesus people, lighten up. It's dancing. I thought it was great.

August 6 at 3:09pm · Unlike · 3

2. umbertoobrian profile image60
      umbertoobrianposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why is a child on the internet for anything but school related work anyway?  Shouldn't they be outside riding bikes or playing baseball?  As adults we have isolated ourselves one from each other; moved to sparsely "childed" neighborhoods; severly reduced the number of children we are having and therefore making playmates that much harder to find. 

I hate sounding like an old guy, but as a kid of 12 there were so many kids on my block that we were outside, everyday, during the summer break and nearly everyday once school started.  Chores and home work barely slowed us down.  Rainy days just meant we were all on the front porch huddled around a bucket of crayons and stack of scrap paper making up our own comic books, or reading each others comic books, trading baseball cards or playing board games.

It is a fundamental change , our lives have become so sedintary  that it exposes our children to the ever present anonymous jerks that have always been in the world just less likely to run into unaccompanied, single, solitary children.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I don't understand why parents are posting photos of their children on social media unless their profiles are for friends and family only.

Some reality stars post to show off family vacations, birthdays, etc. I think it doesn't give them the right or recourse to spout vulgarities at someone's child. For me, that is crossing the line. I posted some examples in a reply to another poster. For me, its just wrong. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but it is crossing the line when you attack a child.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Most social media services don't allow young children to have account. It is not a safe place for unsupervised young kids any more than a public train station or parking lot is.

I would definitely agree its not safe. Its down right shameful, what some people will say about others children. To post vulgarity about a defenseless child in a birthday sundress its awful.

4. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

I'm still a mama bear.  I had refused to allow my son onto social network until just a couple weeks ago.  I put myself on his list on facebook, and let everyone know that I'm his mom.

I run a cause to help abused children get justice by stiffening laws against those who abuse our children.  Please visit the website for Youth Voice Initiative - www.youthvoiceinitiative.org

Thanks!

5. kj force profile image60
    kj forceposted 11 years ago

We have NOT been protecting the children for a long time.. 35 years ago I had a young girl in the ER, who had been sexually molested...her mother insisted she instigated the situation..( the girl was 6)..by sitting on her uncles lap and hugging him..in those days hospital staff were not allowed to make accusations...in todays world the system still has issues when reporting a young girl/boy missing..Depending on what state it may not be a priority, the child is labeled as
    a " runaway"..fortunately some states have changed their laws..like " Amber Alert"..etc..but many times still not enough is being done to protect and with the internet, this poses a completely different scenario...both with the bullying and exposure to a world far beyond our comprehension...Society in general has become lax in many ways...vulgarity, sexuality,drugs,and acceptance of the " oh, well " syndrome....just two weeks ago a young Olympian who won a GOLD MEDAL was ctiricized by adults..for the lack of style to her hair...shame on the media for even calling attention to this issue...Thank you..thoughts from my head...

1. umbertoobrian profile image60
      umbertoobrianposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are very right.  We are becoming harsh.  It saddens me that there is less and less courtesy.

6. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

My daughter tagged me in a photo of my grandson on FB.  In the middle of a heated debate on a local FB group, I had someone make derogatory comments concerning my grandson.  I make sure my photos are private, but being recently tagged, the photo was temporarily available to the public.    Everyone else involved in the conversation quickly subdued the individual and removed him from the group alleviating the tension.

You know you are dealing with a moron when their best comment is targeted at your children!

7. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

All it does is show how truly ignorant the parent is, and the parent is teaching his or her child this manner of behavior, so it will be passed down from generation to generation and get worse as it goes along.  It just baffles me to no end.

8. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

Kids should not be on social media in my opinion. I agree with umbertoobrian's post about wha kids should be doing at the age of 12 to 18. It is such a more compalcent & lax society that no wonder these things are happening.  The intenetr hurts your privacy.
    I've tried to find people from 20 years ago I knew and some are not anywhere on the internet but I know they are still in business. Personally, I am spending less and less time on this thing too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)