What do you do when you feel yourself getting low?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 11 years ago

It's about as basic as the title.. I can feel myself getting going lower.. my question is for all bi-polar / uni-polar / major depressive / etc people out there who experience lows.

I'm trying to distract myself, but nothing seems to be working.. I know the 'contact the doctor' route, I just wondered if anyone has had any experiences getting themselves out of lows when they feel them coming on.

This is a stupid question, the obvious answer is to talk to my doctor.. but I'm asking anyway.

Thanks for reading

1. John D Collins Jr profile image61
      John D Collins Jrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This maybe an uncomfertible question for you to answer but bear with me. How is your background in religion? If you believe in God and if you also believe that God gave his own son to die for you and me as sinners then perhaps stepping outside the box and pray for healing with faith so you wouldn’t have to see no doctor for medication.

2. dghbrh profile image80
      dghbrhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has to experience lows in life, if we experience all highs then its not life anymore. We should be sure that after every low phase of life there's some new high phase waiting for us. After every darkest of hour there is always the dawn to brighten our day. Likewise we must have faith and move on to face the low phase and get ready to experience the high ones.
      Take care.

2. AliceFSpencer profile image59
    AliceFSpencerposted 11 years ago

This is not a stupid question we all experience highs and lows and calling the doctor may work but if your like me wanting to take a pill everyday is not on my list of things to do. When I feel down I try t o find things that have always brought joy to my life. Praying, being around love ones, getting lost in a good book , reminding myself that things are going pretty well. Also I think about as a kid things I dreamed of doing and I look at the goals I've met and the ones I still want to see. Wishing you happy thoughts Alice!!

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about everything you´ve said, Alice. I just have to think about good things that happened in my entire life and I´m back to myself  again.  Anyway, it only happens once in a blue moon. We don´t have to be bi-polar or so to have feel lows in our lives.

3. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Stand Up!

1. John D Collins Jr profile image61
      John D Collins Jrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It takes a little more then to stand up! Do you know or personally meet anyone with bi-polar / uni-polar / major depressive for some people its overwhelming and suicide kicks in before reality sets in and then by then sometimes it’s too late. So “Stand Up” would not be a motivator for the above illnesses from that statement is sounds like your telling them it’s “ok just shrug it off and try again” and if that’s not what your intensions was the clarify yourself.

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

What do you do when you feel yourself getting low?

- That's NOT a stupid question.. and it's good that you find openness as an option...

- For me.. I don't allow things to get me down... I find that most issues have an upside or benefit that has a positive aspect to it... finding that is the challenge sometimes.. but it's always there.. you must just stand back from it sometimes and train yourself to look from a wider perspective. smile

- And if anyone who can't be bothered or chooses to continue to feed the problem, without genuinely trying to change their outlook to a more positive one.... then I suggest that they consider the benefits of using a bicycle pump... Good Luck and enjoy the views yet to be seen!  smile

5. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 11 years ago

I really appreciate that you would all take the time to read and respond to my question.

However, I don't think many of you (if any) are living with a chemical imbalance in your brain. Standing up, reading a book, praying, all are solutions to days when you're feeling like you're in a rut. Or for when you feel a little blah.

Unfortunately a disorder like bi-polar or uni-polar or major depressive disorder is more than just a case of the blahs, and those solutions, provided you can bring yourself to do them, which I thankfully still can, are very temporary fixes if you're entering into a bad place.

To Pearldiver: All of this is stuff I already know and believe. There's always a silver lining, there's always a positive way to look at everything in life, you only get one of each day, live it to it's fullest so tomorrow you won't regret wasting it, work less, love more, laugh at everything and don't take yourself too seriously...

I appreciate your response, but it's not always about not being bothered, or choosing to feed the problem.

Thanks anyway

6. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Sorry, it was not my intention to give an impression that it was my belief that everything in life is as a result of a series of choices made.... and I certainly wasn't attempting to play down how serious certain conditions are, especially to anyone living within the confines of them.

I understand what it is to climb mountains without the ability to control the mountain's will to remain unclimbed.  I have always respected those who climb it anyway and find by doing so, exactly what 'self healing' abilities that we do have.... Now whether each ability found, fits the climber's personal and previous perceptions... is often well worth the effort of finding out...  (a deep thinker here)...

Take care and good luck finding and spending healing time on the mountains that you CAN climb.  smile

1. profile image0
      L a d y f a c eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pearldiver, that was very well put.
      I'm sure I can do this without meds. I want to so badly do this on my own, hence my plea for advice. What pains the most is how motivational and positive I am when all of this isn't going on.

I'm positive that I have some self healing abilities, and I finally found a psych who is happy to help me discover them, but it's a process as I'm sure you can imagine. I'll get there, I just thought it might help to hear some suggestions. I'm going to try talking about it, since I'm not yet at a spot on my mountain where I don't want to talk.

I remember the last time I felt this way, I waited too long and it was too late. I don't want that again. Even if this is similar to everyone else's low periods or slumps, I have to take mine a bit more seriously when they do happen.

It was nice of you to respond back, thank you smile I like your mountain analogy. My psych likes to talk about the tools we have that fit in our personal toolbox.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)