The binder backstory -- it's even worse than the comment itself

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

A binder full of women is bad enough.
    But the truth is, Romney didn't even ASK for the binder.
    It was supplied before he took office by women's activists.

Is there anything this guy will not take credit for?
    roll

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/talkin … g.facebook

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

MM, just another lie from a man for whom lying is more natural than telling the truth. He was more than happy to exclude women from his cabinet if it were not for fear of reprisal and undesirable publicity.

2. American View profile image61
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Once more a liberal reporter/blogger does not report the whole story and puts a spin on it.

In 2002 Jane Swift was the Governor of Massachusetts. As a female governor, she was under fire for not hiring or appointing women to fight cabinet positions. 27 woman's groups came together to create MassGap. Their goal was to get the Governors to hire more woman into cabinet positions.

When Mitt Romney came into office in 2003 he reached out and hired more woman to cabinet positions than any governor prior or after him. From the MassGap web site:

"Between January 2002 and July 2004, 42% of the new gubernatorial appointments made by Governor Mitt Romney were women. Massachusetts was widely recognized for that achievement and MassGAP was given credit for it. In a survey by the State University of New York (SUNY), Massachusetts was ranked first in the nation in the percentage of women holding top state positions. As the Boston Globe noted at that time, “Women fill 10 of 20 top positions in Governor Mitt Romney’s administration, making the Commonwealth one of five states that come close to matching the percentage of top women appointees to the proportion of women in the overall population.”

"This accomplishment is significant. Nowhere else in Massachusetts government—not in the legislature, not in statewide offices, and not in municipal offices—are the numbers for women anywhere near as good. This fact was acknowledged by the Women’s National Republican Club, which presented Governor Romney with its 2005 Exemplary Leadership Award for his work in recruiting and promoting women to cabinet and senior-level positions in his administration."

They gave Romney an award for "Exemplary Leadership". Yea, they sound like they were not happy with Romney(sarcasm alert), Please people, time for the MSM to get a grip, do better research before they publish an article that people toss around as gospel.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the "binder" nonsense is just that - nonsense. I just don't see what was bad about it. My gosh, it's a figure of speech. It's called synecdoche, or you might consider it to be more an example of metonymy. We use examples of both all the time.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi habee, I really don't see it as 'nonsense'-it's strangely sexist and offensive-at least to me. 
          Such a figure of speech puts all women in some office water cooler, don't you think?
          BTW, this office I have in mind specializes in binders...wink

1. profile image0
            SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@lorlie6 He was given a binder full of capable women to fill cabinet positions. That's actually what it was, a binder full of information on female applicants for cabinet positions. What did you want him to call it?

" Women’s groups were concerned about the issue even before the gubernatorial elections, so they put together binders and then gave them to Romney after he was elected."

I mean really. Saying he misrepresented that he requested the binder is fine, but trying to crucify him for calling it a binder when that is exactly what it was is just ridiculous.

1. habee profile image93

I totally agree. Just how silly is this election going to get? 4 American deaths in Libya is "inconsequential," but Romney's using "binders" is huge!

It's the idiocy of the media, but these absurdities do tell stories...

2. Josak profile image61
                Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree this is a storm in a teacup and a shame really since there is real evidence to argue that Romney has sexist policies, his backing of the GOP platform to make all abortion illegal even in the case of rape is a slap in the face of any woman who presumes to have rights over her own body.

1. habee profile image93

Romney has bucked the platform on that issue. I agree there are some legitimate questions about Romney and equal rights, but using "binders of women" isn't one of them. Remember when Obama referred to a female reporter as "Sweetie" and brushed her off? If Romney had done that, the left would be crucifying him.

1. Josak profile image61
                    Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. profile image0
              HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just another non-story.

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image67
        Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm....

The women's GOP club gave a fellow Republican an award.

Shocking.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image67
          Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele … _campaigns

Since we're so interested in the whole story. This was posted a few hours ago.

Quotes:

"Prior to the 2002 gubernatorial election, MassGAP approached the campaigns of candidates Shannon O’Brien and  Mitt Romney and asked them both to commit to: (1).“Make best efforts” to ensure that the number of women in appointed state positions is proportionate to the population of women in Massachusetts; (2). Select a transition team whose composition is proportionate to the women in the Commonwealth; and (3). Meet with MassGAP representatives regularly during the appointments process.  Both campaigns made a commitment to this process."

"Subsequently, however, from 2004-2006 the percentage of newly-appointed women in these senior appointed positions dropped to 25 percent."

So yea, either person who won the race would have been working with this group. And apparently once election was secured, women sort of dropped by the wayside again?

1. American View profile image61

Per the MassGap web site:

"The Massachusetts Government Appointments Project (MassGAP) was founded in 2002 as a bi-partisan coalition of women’s groups whose purpose is to increase the number of women appointed by the new governor to senior-level cabinet positions, agency heads and selected authorities and commissions in the Commonwealth."

So much for being a GOP organization.

Now you can keep criticizing or look at the facts, Romney appointed the highest amount of woman to cabinet positions than anyone before or after him. Or if one truly wants to see who appoints more woman, look at Republicans and Dems. There are more Republican woman in leadership positions at all levels of government than Democrats.

PS.  believe you lost that bet we made about the Jets V Bills week one.
            Did you change your screen name?

3. lorlie6 profile image73

Incredible article, MM.  I found this segment particularly enlightening:

"Romney did appoint 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments, which is a reasonably impressive 42 percent. However, as I have reported before, those were almost all to head departments and agencies that he didn't care about -- and in some cases, that he quite specifically wanted to not really do anything. None of the senior positions Romney cared about -- budget, business development, etc. -- went to women."

1. profile image0

Oh wait...hmmm...what's this I see?

Mitt Romney’s second-in-command when he was governor of Massachusetts and a coalition of women's groups rallied Wednesday behind the Republican presidential nominee in the face of a rapidly expanding Internet phenomenon poking fun at his "binders full of women."
        "The supporters said Romney, indeed, asked for and received binders with names of potential female candidates for high-level posts -- backing up his claim in Tuesday night's debate that as governor he had reached out to women's groups because he was dissatisfied with the mostly male applicants for jobs in his administration."

So not only were they actual binders, but he did actually request them. Odd...hmmm.

SS1963-am enjoying (really) our non-presidential debate, but gotta get some zzzz's.  Hopefully we can have a rematch manana.
          cool

1. profile image0

Sleep well! I should be headed off soon too!

2. American View profile image61

Really? A governor appointing someone to a cabinet post to be in charge of a department within the state making over 6 figures a year and you want me to believe he did not care who he appointed? Come on man.  If he did not care he would have made them Czars.

I know that was the opinion of the liberal writer, but if there was any truth to it the woman's group MassGap never would have been pleased with Romney and the appointments. Instead they praised him.

Trying to make something out of nothing. If Romney would have said portfolio instead of binder, would it have made a difference?

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. It would not have made no difference whatsoever!!
          The point is, he was OFFERED he did not SEEK OUT those binders.
          Having a good record in hiring women to his cabinet was not something he did voluntarily. It is something he PLEDGED to do when pushed by MassGAP.
          His opponent in the gubernatorial race actually signed the pledge first.

To resurrect a phrase from now ancient campaign history: "You didn't build that!"

Mischaracterizing his own actions and motives in appointing high level, highly paid cabinet members -- yet another telling example of Romney desperately painting himself in the color he thinks a voter segment wants to see. Not unlike painting his face farmworker orange for his interview with Latino media.

4. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even if it is true, he still hired them!  I think it is so pathetic that obama is so desperate, he will try to make a mountain out of a mole hill at every turn.  He is the most vicious candidate for any office I have ever witnessed and I have seen a bunch.

George Bush for all his faults, he had a far more diverse administration than Bill Clinton.
      The Dems try to make out the Republicans as all around bigots, when the real truth is the Dems and liberals are far more bigoted.  Look at it closely and you will see the truth.  Even women are standing up and saying that they think the accusations about Romney dissing women is a crock.

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image67
    Cody Hodge5posted 11 years ago

Haha, what was our bet? I remember making one, I just don't remember what the terms were.

Btw...

This fact was acknowledged by the Women’s National Republican Club....smile

3. profile image52
    guavassposted 11 years ago

He called me an illegal. I'm human, not an illegal.

1. American View profile image61

Would you prefer to be called a criminal?

What do you think illegal means?

The liberals call you illegal all day as well, any outrage there, or is it just for Romney?

4. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

Obama called you an illegal as well then. Completely off topic though.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

So the binder of resumes of capable, available women was compiled by MassGAP BEFORE Romney took office. Both candidates were asked to sign a pledge to increase hiring of women. Romney won the election.
    So AFTER Romney became governor he asked for the binder which he had been offered BEFORE the election.
    The idea to elevate the number of women in government was not his.
    It was MassGAP's.

In addition to misrepresenting his own actions and motives, his answer did not address what was asked:
    1. He was asked about the issue of equal pay for women.
    2. He did not address equal pay for women, or pay at all.

1. habee profile image93

Yes, he should have. That's a legitimate concern. Does it concern you that women in the Obama admin make less than the men there, on average? I'm trying to find out how much women in Romney's admin made.

How much women in either man's cabinet make is not the point here.
        The question asked was about what the candidates will do about equal pay for women OUT HERE.
        Neither one can hire all the women in America for their cabinet.
        I don't really care how many women Romney had on his executive team at Bain or the 2002 Olympics, either.
        I want to know if he supports legislation for OTHER EMPLOYERS to pay women the same as men for doing the same job.

It frustrates me in the extreme to have the original question IGNORED.
        Perhaps it's relevant to count up how many HIGH LEVEL women each man has APPOINTED. Perhaps that is an accurate metaphor for this issue. I'm not seeing it, however. It's like micodissecting the attack on the Benghazi consulate. There's a much broader and more complex issue that needs to be talked about.

Rome is burning while we fiddle around with distractions!

1. habee profile image93

I responded a couple of posts up. I agree that Romney should answer those questions. I have no problem, however, with his use of the word "binder," as some on the left do. I'm not saying you do, but it has become a "big deal" when more important issues regarding women should be what's being discussed.

Sorry Habee. I thought I read your posts completely.
            You and I are saying the same thing.
            Binders is the meme of the day. Last time it was Big Bird. Before that the 47%.
            By Monday binders will be empty (lol) and we'll be distracting ourselves with something else.

Is the binders comment representative of Romney's position on women's equality?
            I guess it's representative of one fact: If you do not clearly and truthfully (as fact-checkable) set out your own policy on an issue, one will be duly assigned to you by tweeters.
            roll

1. habee profile image93

Amazing how we sometimes think alike, huh, even though we differ on our politics. You remind me so much of my lib best friend! I told her the other day I had an HP pal who reminded me a lot of her.

Romney needs to be specific on equality. I'm an economic voter this go-round, but that's still important to me, and it's extremely important to many American women.

smile Nice of you to say. I think we both see things more alike than differently.
                If we agreed 100% on everything we'd never learn, would we?

My #1 is healthcare, because I'm involved in what's happening on the ground here in my region, not to mention my own family.
                Appealing the ACA would be disastrous.
                #2 is education. I see that as the lynchpin in a complex fabric of both economic and social issues. The dumbing down of America has far-reaching consequences.
                To paraphrase Sarah Palin, "Don't retreat -- retrain!"

Philosophically I care about pay equality. But realistically, if there are no JOBS, then how much women get paid vs. how much men get paid is pretty moot, isn't it?
                Neither one is making anything!

No matter what, this campaign will leave a bad taste in my mouth, as I know it will many people's.

But just think. 2016 is just around the corner. Clinton/Huntsman has a nice ring to it!

1. habee profile image93

Sounds good to me!

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                  Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Butting in here, MM and Habee smile

Philosophically I care about pay equality. But realistically, if there are no JOBS, then how much women get paid vs. how much men get paid is pretty moot, isn't it?

Not really. Lessons from history teach us that when jobs are scarce the consequences for women are more than far reaching. I'm thinking of dilution here, World wars 1 and 11. When all the troops are brought home form Afghanistan and Iraq (and I'm not forgetting that there are a large number of female troops, too) jobs for women are going to become even harder to obtain.

If we give up the ghost now, in terms of equal pay, because of the shortage of jobs then not only are we making a rod for our own backs but we're inviting the large tax dodging, outsourcing corps to screw men, too. Because let's face it, if they can take on women for a fraction of the cost, they can drive down the wages for men, too.

And not forgetting that there are loads of lone mothers out there,(I'm one)
                  When the wages for women bottom out, lots of kids suffer. I see the fight for equal pay as important as it ever was, scarcity of jobs or not.

Excellent points, Hollie.
                    Given the concerted effort by the new GOP to bust unions, I can't imagine Lily Ledbetter is high on their agenda. I think Romney's dodging of this question speaks volumes.
                    Do you support equal pay for women?
                    Let me tell you about all the women I appointed to my cabinet!

We're talking about a party that believes businesses should be free to hire who they want, where they want, and pay them what they want. Free of restrictions and regulations.
                    If you don't like it, too bad. You're lazy and a whiner. Why can't you work 3 part-time minimum wage jobs?
                    Oh wait.
                    When they get their way, bye bye minimum wage.
                    :roleyes:

6. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

Romney should have mentioned that Obama pays some women on his staff less that men performing the same jobs.

7. chefsref profile image66
    chefsrefposted 11 years ago

No one seems to be mentioning the fact that Romney did not answer the question. He was asked about how he would "rectify the inequalities in the workplace" for women not how many he hired, Hiring binders full of women doesn't mean he did anything to change the inequalities that women face in the workplace.

8. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Were there really binders? The woman's group when Romney was Governor, have come forward to say they asked Romney to "endore their bill" to hire more women. So it wasn't his idea at all but he signed the bill. Did more women get hired and at equal pay? You decide.

1. movingout profile image60
      movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And his attack on women's rights don't stop there either in my opinion! http://actually.org/

9. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

He avoided answering the question with a hokey BS story but ywt "Romney did initially follow through on his promise to appoint more women to top positions-- 14 out of 33 of his appointments during his first two years in office were women--however, from 2004-2006 the percentage of newly-appointed women in these senior appointed positions dropped to 25 percent." - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 … 74092.html

http://p.twimg.com/A5areyUCIAEISzZ.jpghttp://www.marketmotive.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/binders-of-women-meme-237x300.pnghttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc0t3ozbTi1rj8amio1_400.jpghttp://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/binders-full-of-women-fb-378x370.pnghttp://www.amateuru.com/sites/default/files/styles/photo_node/public/cover_image_mitt_romney_binder_full_of_women_Amateur_U-2.jpeg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)