Bill Clinton's post-election call with Mitt -- really?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

By now we all have heard of Mitt Romney's latest comments.
    “The president’s campaign, if you will, focused on giving targeted groups a big gift,” Romney said during that call to donors on Wednesday.

Now I'm reading another excerpt from that same call.
    Romney claims Bill Clinton called him after the election and said the following (see in quotes below).
    I've seen the straight coverage on many sites (abc news, newsbusters.org, etc.).
    All say they could not get a confirmation from Clinton's people.
    Can't find a fact check on this anywhere.
    I wouldn't be shocked if Bill Clinton did call Romney. I wouldn't really be shocked if he said any of these things. Just not sure which ones are tongue-in-cheek (some, all).

What do you all think?

“I spoke with President Clinton the day before yesterday. He called and spent 30 minutes chatting with me. He said, ‘A week out, I thought you were going to win.’ And he said, ‘But the hurricane happened, and it gave the president a chance to be presidential, and to look bipartisan. And you know, he got a little more momentum.’ And of course he also said that when he was watching Ann speak at the Republican convention, he decided he was tempted to join the Republican Party. So he may have just been effusive with generous comments as he chatted. He was very complimentary, by the way, of how well we did with middle-class voters, and he said they were surprised by how strong we were in Ohio and in other states with middle-class voters, they did exceptionally well with minorities, but white, middle-class voters, we really cleaned up with and that caught them by surprise.”

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, that does not sound like Clinton at all smile

2. rhamson profile image67
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The spin will never end.

3. Jillian Barclay profile image72
      Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just did a google (white pages) search- there are 32 people listed in the US/Canada that have the name Bill Clinton. Sounds like one of the other 31 called Mitt- and you know Mitt- he does have a tendency to "bend" the truth...

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hadn't thought of that. A Clinton imposter!
        Like when that guy punk'd Ohio Governor John Kesich on the radio, calling and telling him he was David Koch.
        lol

2. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

I think Mitt Romney is grasping at straws, and these are straws that aren't even part of the game...

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kinda like strawman arguments!
      lol

1. profile image0
        LikaMarieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know, huh!  big_smile

3. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

What THAT MAN would not do for PUBLICITY.   LET IT REST, MITTY, LET IT GO.  BREATHE DEEPLY, MITT, LET GO AND LET----------

1. Sapper profile image62
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No kidding. Why is it I have this feeling he is going to spend the next 16 years running for president and losing.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why Romney won't let it go either. I keep seeing him at lecturns like he's still giving speeches, but haven't bothered to turn up the volume and see where. I guess the ultra conservative R's are still really in shock that the country has changed in the last 100 yrs. Usually once the consession speech is made, the loser goes home and lays low for awhile. I suppose his party is furious with Mittens for losing, it cost everyone a fortune. Karl Rove couldn't believe it on Election night. I put on Fox news about an hour after the Obama win was announced, and Karl was insisting, "But we have suburban areas of VA, OH, NC and PA who have areas not finished voting." Even Megan Kelley had to tell him it was over, Obama won. Rove does have a tendency to re-invent himself. I think the R's have soul searching to do.

4. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 11 years ago

Why is this even news?  All Romney is doing is stating what any eyes-wide-open American already knows.

Come 2016 the Democrats go into that election with a HUGE edge... they have firmly planted in American's minds that they are the party of color and the party of women, and that the other side is the 'white guy' party and is against women and 'minorities'...

It's important to understand that the Republicans now have a reputation they must overcome... remember its not about reality, its about the perception a majority of Americans have about Republicans, one nurtured 365 days a year by the likes of NPR, NBC, CBS, etc. you can throw Yahoo in that mix as well. They don't stop criticizing Republicans just because an election is over, they go non stop.

You could say FOX is a counter to that... but if you don't have cable or aren't inclined to go looking for the Right-winged FOX channel, then you never hear or see what they have to say... and that is probably a majority of Americans.

Republicans also have to accept a truth... the only voters likely to be inclined to vote for a White man, are other whites, minorities are overwhelmingly more likely to vote for another minority... it is only the white vote that breaks 50/50 despite race.

Blacks will vote 98% along racial lines, Latino vote in this election went 75% to Obama a sign that they identify not just with the Democrat party, but with his minority background, and that they see the Republican party now as anti-minority.

There is also the fact that the Democrats had a better ground game, they got out every vote they could by giving free rides, free phones, free meals, they coerced and paid for as many votes as they could (in key swing states), and when you don't have to provide ID to vote, you can accomplish a lot of voting with a warm body and 30 days of early voting.

The Republicans need to nominate a candidate in 2016 like Condoleezza Rice to be their Spokesman... in order to ditch the anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-poor, racist, sexist label that Republicans are now stuck with, they HAVE to find themselves a candidate that those that have turned away from the Party can identify with... and just to clue you in, another old white guy isn't going to hack it.

Those voters the Republicans have lost, are lost for good, until they go above and beyond to disprove the labels they have been saddled with... and that requires a candidate of color, or of the female sex, or of both... anything less will mean failure again in 2016.

So the Progressive/Liberal/Democrat party can rest easy... unless the Republicans find a way to coerce Connie into running for the Presidency, or find some clone in the party almost exactly like her (Marco Rubio may have a shot) who is articulate, and charismatic, and has a background that cannot be attacked with claims like "he can't relate he was born into a rich family"  and "He is against women's rights" and "he's racist" ... they have nothing to fear.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

He may have made some mild comments along those lines. Clinton is good at getting along with people and telling them what they want to hear. Of course you aren't meant to run to the media after every conversation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)