Going YOUR Own Way

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Many adults oftentimes have the religion of their parents and grandparents.   However, there are those of us who questioned the religion of our childhoods and decided that religion was not for us.    We believed that the religion in question was too restrictive, atavistic, and was out of step with modern society and culture.     So against the parental/familial grain, we left that religion, either choosing another religious/spiritual principle or no religious belief at all.       Were YOU one of those who went againt the religious construct of your respective familiy of origin?   If so, what was the initial reaction of YOUR family of origin?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My parents weren't great believers and did not attend church. In my teens I started going to church with a school friend, and soon became a Christian. I described myself as a Christian for the next 25 years.

At a long overdue point in life I began to question all that I was spoon fed for all those years, and discovered that a large proportion of it did not add up, make any sense, or was not not based on a critical objective interpretation of the bible. I quickly walked away from church with no regrets other than I stayed too long.

Now although I believe in a creator and an afterlife (with no scientific evidence of course, that's a given), I think that as a whole the organised    religious systems currently out there have largely been barking up the wrong tree. For example, to interpret Genesis as literal whether you are Jewish, Christian, or even Muslim, is nonsensical, and to attempt to understand any religious writing in a 21st century frame of mind without trying to understand the culture for whom they were written, is also nonsense.

But to answer the question, I don't think my parents particularly care one way or the other.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems by your description of how a believer may deal with religion by deciding against their parents religion and going at another one shows religion to be little more than some bling accessory to be worn on a whim. In other words, it's not about what God wants, it's about what people want.

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There wasn't supposed to be organized religion in the first place. The whole message from Jesus was to be good to each other and do the right things.  He never preached in a church he was always out in the open and he tore down temples and never built one.

We went to church as children but I don't go to church after I left home.  To me, churches are full of too many hipocrates who think they are better than everyone else.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right, Sarra.  Jesus never intended 'religion' to be organized.  That said, the Church doesn't hold the monopoly on hypocrisy.  That's a human failing, happening among the religious and non-religious alike.  My mom used to ask a good friend of hers to church every Sunday, and he always said no, claiming that the Church was full of hypocrites.  One weekend, she responded to him by saying that was absolutely true, but that there was always room for one more. 

I think the problem is that few folks go to church to find God.  If they did, they'd not put a lot of thought into the behavior of the people around them. 

We should be there to feed our souls so that we can leave and feed our friends.  That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

1. profile image0

Your opinion is worth a great deal! smile

1. profile image0

Thank you. smile

2. gmwilliams profile image85
              gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All beautiful responses, keep the discussion going.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
            Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Needs 'like' button.

1. profile image0

Thanks.  I mean every word from the bottom of my heart.

smile

2. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yea, I like Mo as well... Oh you mean her post. I liked that too.

1. profile image0

wink  Like you back, brother.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

I totally agree with you, Sarra.

1. profile image0

Wow, thank you TM, you and I actually agree on something.  You just made my day smile

3. Chris Neal profile image79
      Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. When I became a Christian, my non-religious family said they were accepting, but you could tell that it makes most of  them uncomfortable.

1. profile image0

It makes me uncomfortable! LOL Just kidding. Whatever works for you.

1. Chris Neal profile image79

That's where a lot of them are now, but they had to get used to my saying "Praise God" whenever I was grateful for somthing. It's a process.

1. profile image0

I keep my views to myself largely as most Catholics simply don't understand Atheism. I've meet many who become very upset at the mere mention of someone leaving the religion they were raised in.

1. Chris Neal profile image79

Understood.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

My parents didn't go to church that often either. They did send my sisters and I every Sunday. My mother was brought up Catholic and my father Protestant. She often told me she was angry the Catholic church would not allow them to marry in the church, while my aunt who also married a non-Catholic was allowed to marry in the Catholic Church just because he happened to have money and was an important person in town.

They sent us to a Protestant church. for me, I was never particularly religious, I love to go to church mainly for the singing smile

3. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years ago

Hey Trouble Man good to see you old boy! Perhaps it's what God wants and the people want at the same time. Maybe perhaps we need to live in unity and peace accepting our differences. Understanding the chaos is needed to build character in all of us. Without you my friend, people like me wouldn't be a strong in our believes, job, and purpose...while you wouldn't be as strong in yours without us. We challenge each other...and of course no matter what side of the fence we're on we live in the same world with the same survival needs. So instead of being your enemy...I embrace the idea that you challenge me to pull out my best character and walk the walk and talk the talk. I thank you for that bruther! _Peace

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

I would tend to disagree that I'm stronger as a result of religions, quite the opposite, I'm afraid. With the tribal religious mindset still ruling much of our planet, believers will not completely be able to experience unity and peace or will ever accept others religious differences. That simply can't happen, by design of the religion itself.

I thank you, too. Of course, I've never considered you or any other believer as my enemy at any time.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
        HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hmm...well trouble i can understand your point of view...only by my own experience I know plenty that have away of trumping that belief. That are actually living their lives that way getting along regardless of our beliefs. It's not about religion, but taking the lessons from all religions and understanding how they play their part in creating the whole balancing each other out.

4. HattieMattieMae profile image60

I did leave Catholocism that my parents raised me with and family...only I think you never forget your foundation or the lessons you've learned from it. No religion has all the answers in my opinion. Just a piece of the puzzle. It's not really leaving. Only accepting it plays it's part in teaching you to have good character, moral, have values, and appreciate the uniqueness of each religion. Most of them have the say message. Love...peace...unity..forgiveness..even a atheist can appreciate those things....

5. HattieMattieMae profile image60

I do agree with you too Sara...Think the ones walking out in the world like me as a teacher help more than those that sit with others. I hate saying that, but I've seen how people can hurt us in organized reliigon.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have to add to troubles remark too...I moved through different churches and level of growth as I learned. There is so much you can learn from each preacher and teacher...besides even one religion. There is to much to learn and grow as individual. If  you stay in one place you will stop growing.

6. samnashy profile image70
    samnashyposted 11 years ago

May Grandparents were very religious and constantly preached the words of the good Lord.  As a youngster I used to be make provocative statements to annoy them.  However, it never stopped me visiting once a week for a good chat.  I guess we knew our under-lying love for eachother was far stronger than our beliefs.
    On the other hand my husband is anti-religious and can't stand our children coming home and talking about it.  I think some of this stems from fear and childhood.  I respect one's beliefs but am more interested in the individual and their personal values.

7. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 11 years ago

My parents were conservative Jews, and I just didnt seem to connect to the religion. I also could not connect to Christianity. They were pleased that I didnt become christian, but had a hard time accepting the fact that I did not consider myself a Jew.

I have learned from that experience, and have remain true to myself. My daughter has converted to Catholic and I have given her my blessing and embrace her spirituality. I learned from my family, and a lot of people in the U.S. on not what to do in this situation. I did not judge her, nor does she judge me. She has learned tolerance and compassion of others beliefs and lives it.

My only hope for her, or any one is to stay true to themselves. It is sometimes a hard road to travel, for many do not wish you to stray, but it has worked well for me.

8. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 11 years ago

I was raised as a Catholic and to this day am surrounded by them. My parent rarely talked openly about religion, but my Mom periodically mentioned God. We often went to church, but I wanted to go more often so I started to go to the early morning mass at my school. At about 12 I started to internalize and think and question. I think it was my Dad how told me to question everything. Once I started to question I started to see the man written laws of Catholicism. I noticed that one of the commandments were to only pray to one God and Catholics first divided God into three and then prayed to all the angels and saints. I started studying other religions at about 13 or 14 and noticed the fear of God in others Christian denominations that Catholicism didn't have and I didn't like. I then decided that the concept of any loving God made no sense because of all the horror and suffering in the world. I spoke to no one about it for about five years. I was in college when I met my first other Atheist and noticed somehow we came the exact same conclusion completely separate of each other.

I did eventually tell my parents, my Dad didn't care at all, but my Mom was upset and didn't understand, she just kept say "but you have to believe" and then I'd say "why do I have to?" My mom and my dad were alway completely different. When I introduced my Dad to my very beautiful Jamaican girl friend he was impressed, I didn't tell my Mom she was my girl friend, but she caught us together and very promptly told me that if I have babies with that girl she will not except them as her grandkids. She was happy when I married an Italian in the Catholic church however. Here I sit still surrounded by Catholics.

1. profile image0

Admit it, Rad.  Secretly, you love us Italian Catholics....lol  We're a helluva lot of fun!

1. profile image0

No one has to twist my arm to admit that.

1. profile image0

Good thing, because I can't reach that far north! wink

9. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 11 years ago

I believe if you do things that are good and not things that are bad you have your own ideas of religion and can go on your own way through life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)