Weekly Topic Inspiration: Donations to Charities

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

What charities do you like? Which ones do you trust enough to support financially, and how do you evaluate their effectiveness? Share your thoughts on this subject as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge.

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    Giving to Charity 101
    Are Charity Donations Effective?
    What to Consider Before You Donate to Charity
    Best Charities to Donate to
    Horrible Charities to Donate To
    Five Great Car Donation Charities
    Fantastic Christian Charities
    What to Look for in a Christian Charity
    The Best Charity to Donate to
    5 Trustworthy Non-Profit Organizations Worth Supporting
    The 10 Most Effective Charitable Organizations
    How to Select Which Charity Organizations to Support
    Choosing a Charity Organization to Work For
    Top Non-Profit Organizations
    Non-Profit Organizations for Children

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Oh, and do you want your WTI Hub to have a shot at becoming a Hub of the Day? Make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. Car CharityDonate profile image58
      Car CharityDonateposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wrote about five great charities that are important to me that allow charity car donations. They are all very worthy of support, it's hard to choose just one!

http://carcharitydonate.hubpages.com/hu … -Charities

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Such a fabulous and nicely-formatted overview, Car CharityDonate!

Thank you, Simone! I tried to follow the learning center tips as closely as I could.

2. safiq ali patel profile image68
      safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I support motability which is a charity that provides leased cars for people with disability that prevents them from being able to walk. I also support water aid which helps people in developing countries find and access regular supplies of clean water.
      Overall some charities I trust and some I don't. I have to say I have met some pretty strange efforts at raising money with some suspect charities out there. But some are suspect not all.

1. safiq ali patel profile image68
        safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just Crafty you reminded me I also do take clothes to a charity called scope occasionally.

3. rothua profile image61
      rothuaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Giving charity to the needy is not necessary to think that we exist as it should be. because we can not hurt to give to the poor.

2. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 11 years ago

I donate to Clothe Closet a local charity that gives free clothes and shoes to anyone who walks in and chooses them.  They accept donation but don't expect them.
    I donate hundreds of handknit, crocheted and sewn items to them each year.

I also donate to the Sea Coast Mission each year where I donate handknit and crocheted hats, mittens and scarves.

I don't usually donate much to the big charities because I find there are enough local ones that can use the donations whether moneary or otherwise.

I have written a couple of hubs about donating to charities in the past.

That's splendid, JustCrafty! Wow!

Have you written Hubs specifically about donating handmade goods, Clothe Closet, or Sea Coast Mission? I'd love to hear more about these things. smile

1. profile image0
        JustCraftyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have written about the Clothes Closet in a couple of hubs.

3. Dan Barfield profile image74
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

I just heard of an excellent charity that I think more people should get involved with - it's called Lend With Care. This charity is all about providing micro finance for people wanting to get on their own two feet and provide for their families through business in deprived parts of the world. Check it out - this is a seriously cool project. They also have a gift idea for christmas. You can buy a voucher online and give it to someone as a present. The person who has recieved this present can then go online and read profiles of people in poverty who need help and decide based upon whichever story touches them who the money goes to. The money is then paid back to the organisation by the borrower over the next 12 months. At the end of the 12 months the person you gave the gift to can either choose to redeem the voucher and cash the money out themselves, or they can choose to lend it again as many times as they want! How awesome is that! This is proper positive change! People having direct relationships with those who get the benefit of the charity - being able to see real observable change happening in the lives of those in need of a hand. The boom in micro-finance lending ha sme more excited than any other charitable organisation I've seen. I will be looking into this stuff more and plugging their good works in a hub soon. Peace.

How cool! You should totally write a Hub about Lend with Care, Dan. That sounds like such a cool charity- and such a rewarding process!

2. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heard about this on  the radio today.  What a wonderful way to enable people to help themselves.  A very rewarding charity way of giving.

3. Dan Barfield profile image74
      Dan Barfieldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi there - in an addendum to my earlier comment, I have just written a hub as a follow on from it should anyone be interested. Here is the link for you to peruse or not at your leisure: http://danbarfield.hubpages.com/hub/HOW … the-better

4. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

There are so many charities all begging for donations especially at the end of the year.  I wrote one advising how to give to charities wisely:
    http://mary615.hubpages.com/_w866qqxq9k … -Charities

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't know if it matters, but it is "idling" away now. Just published this AM.

The Hub is "Pending". A new Hub is put in a Pending state for 24 hours after being published before it may transition into a Featured state. Your Hub is still Pending now because you edited it 50 minutes ago, and every time you edit a new Hub, the Pending period re-sets. So just leave it be for 24 hours and it should be fine.

It's a lovely Hub, too!! smile

5. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 11 years ago

I volunteer every week for a charitable organisation, and am a director on the Board. I have done a lot of research into donations to different charities, and it seems to be a minefield. It is important to do your research into these organisations before donating, so that you can feel that your money is spent wisely

What a cool organization! You should definitely write a Hub on supporting it. smile

6. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

Oh, if only I could save every kitten and puppy on the planet. What a wonderful world this would be!
    http://austinstar.hubpages.com/hub/Supp … -Austin-Tx

Aww! Flash is so cute! What a lovely charity!

7. Melovy profile image93
    Melovyposted 11 years ago

This is a great WTI. Here's mine on Easy Ways To Donate To Charity. http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Way … To-Charity

Such an awesome Hub. I didn't even know charity credit cards existed!

8. hockey8mn profile image68
    hockey8mnposted 11 years ago

I wrote a hub on the Marine Corps Toys for Tots Foundation.  Covered some of the history (i.e. how it started up and how it progressed through the years) and the ways to get involved.  It is a great organization that puts gifts under families trees that would have other wise not had them. 

http://hockey8mn.hubpages.com/hub/Marin … s-For-Tots

What a gorgeous Hub! I love your combination of history and tips on getting involved. Your formatting and image use is awesome. I'm glad you wrote this Hub!

1. hockey8mn profile image68
        hockey8mnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone.  It is a hub worthy cause from an organization that is often misunderstood.  It is great to see the Toys for Tots Foundation grow each year.

9. carlajbehr profile image84
    carlajbehrposted 11 years ago
  10. profile image0

Today was awesome!  I have been knitting, crocheting and sewing items all year and this week I donated hundreds of items to Sea Coast Mission and the Clothes Closet.

The best part was today, when my daughter (adult) and I loaded her vehichle up with large boxes of hand knit hats, scarves, mittens, crocheted slippers, hats, afghans and sew pillowcases, quilts, and other sewn items and headed for the church were the Christmas Exstravaganza will be held tomorrow.

We unloaded boxes after boxes of items that I had donated and then entered the church basement to find it almost completely filled with boxes and totes of all new items that had been donated and collected throughout the year for this event.

There was a group of ten or so people and we all had a mission, to set this basement up like a store for people to be able to come in and shop for free for their family members in a discrete way.

We all knew the goal and without any hesitation everyone pitched in and with a lot of joking and clean fun within three hours the basement looked better than any Wal-mart and the feeling was overwhelming to everyone when we found out that this store would be the host to 254 people within a two hour span of time tomorrow.

My daughter and I did this event together and wow what a sense of feeling good and working together we got from this.

I wouldn't have spent my Saturday any other way and neither would she, she told me that it was something that she would definitely want to do again and would never forget the feeling.

JustCrafty, what a wonderful story! It sounds like you guys will be able to help a lot of needy families this Christmas! Way to go!

11. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

The Hubs, tips, and stories you have shared this week are so inspiring. Thanks for getting involved!

Our latest Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge addresses goals for the new year. The new thread is up, so if you have anything to share on the subject, please do weigh in! smile

12. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone,
    I know this is late but I'm posting anyway, never got an answer to my question about cut off, here goes . . .
    http://janshares.hubpages.com/_2eao4rze … unger-fund
    Merry Christmas!

13. profile image0

Needy or Greedy?

I donated a lot of nice handmade items to a charity Christmas function and then talked to the organizer a week after to see how is went.

She said that the 250 people who came to it claiming to be needy of Christmas gifts were choosy to what they would take and they wanted store bought items not handmade items.

I think this is a case of the greedy trying to get instead of the needy and I will donate my items to a different charity next year and hope they are given to needy not choosy people for Christmas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)