Weekly Topic Inspiration: Google+

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 11 years ago

Howdy y’all! I’m Christy, the Topic Queen. I’m delighted to meet you and very excited to be the new Weekly Topic Inspiration leader. I can’t wait to see the awesome Hubs you write for me!

From now on, the Weekly Topic Inspiration will be based on the latest and greatest new Topics on HubPages. This week’s Inspiration is about a brand new Topic suggested by Hubber Paul Maplesden: Google+.

Google+ is one of the biggest social networking platforms available to internet users these days. Are you a Google+ user? Tell us what you think! How has G+ Local changed the way you dine out? How does your home business make use of G+ Hangouts? What are your favorite and least favorite features?

Ideas for exceptional Hubs include how-to instructions for your favorite features, analyses of the most and least useful networking functions, and ways to enhance your everyday life with Google+.

To join in on this week's challenge by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green "answer this question" button.
    3)     Instead of answering the question in short form, click the gray "make a Hub about it" button. 
    4)    Give your Hub a title that follows our guidelines on crafting successful, competitive, search-friendly titles, which namely involves...

A. Creating a title that is short and descriptive, matching what someone would type into a search engine when looking for information on the subject.
    B. Researching the keywords (the things people might type into search engines) by Googling them to make sure that the topic is not already extensively covered online and that you can beat the top results.
    C. Covering a subject about which you are particularly passionate- or in which you have unique, useful expertise.

5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    Make sure the images you use are legally used and properly attributed so that your Hub has a chance of being selected as a Hub of the Day.
    7)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this Forum Discussion and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
      Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have written a guide to getting the most out of Google Plus communities, you can find it here: http://paulmaplesden.hubpages.com/hub/g … nes-advice

I wrote the hub because I'm a moderator of a large, successful  Google Plus community (9,000 members and growing by about 100 a day) and I wanted to share some of the good behaviours that we see our community members adopting.

My hope is that the good practices in the hub can make G+ Communities a better place for everyone.

1. That Grrl profile image74
        That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been trying to fit G+ in. I stick with Twitter mainly and avoid Facebook. Nice to see someone really making use of it.

Christy - could you like to last week's post? I haven't seen it so far and would like to see who else posted and how things turned out.

Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just posted a a comment with a link to last week's forum post, That Grrl. There were some great responses. smile

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Wow, your Hub is a great guide, Paul Maplesden! I especially like your tips on engaging with other community members.

Thanks Christy for the feedback smile

3. K9keystrokes profile image83
        K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I really appreciate this piece of work. Your suggestion on creating a "posting rota" is something all HP/Google+ users should utilize. I must admit, not using this concept has presented errors time after time in my own G+ posts and beyond. Thank you for re-energizing my desire to be more socially active here at HP and the internet abroad.
        Your hub is great, coming with complete, informative, and clear information--much to be learned there. Possibly something that should be woven into the HP learning center package? Top notch stuff, Sir.
        Standing and Applauding this hub. cool

Wow, thanks very muich for the very kind words! The hub was really a response to my time moderating a G+ community and a desire to help other people get more out of it, so I am delighted it is being so well received. I shared the article with Brian Glick today, the Google Plus Product Manager at Google and he liked it too...

Wow, congratulations, Paul! It's AWESOME that you got some official Google recognition for your experience and insights. Keep those stellar Hubs comin'!

2. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How do you know this Brian Glick, if you don't mind my asking? Do you work for Google?

No, he's a Googler who has a profile on G+, so I just messaged him. I figured if you don't ask, you don't get and he was kinde nough to respond.

4. MarleneB profile image91
        MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent guide filled with very valuable information. I can see now how Google+ works and will definitely get more involved.

2. Paul Maplesden profile image76

Hi again,

Just to let you know, I've created another Google Plus hub following the WTI: 'Circles and Plus Ones and Shares (Oh My!) - A guide to the main concepts in Google Plus

http://paulmaplesden.hubpages.com/hub/g … -explained

Thanks, Paul.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Hey everyone, thanks so much for participating! For more inspiration, visit the new Weekly Topic Inspiration: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/109957#post2340156

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

Is self promotion acceptable now, Christy?  Or is this just okay for some Hubbers?  yikes

Quoting the OP:

7)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this Forum Discussion and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

Not breaking any rules here.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay cool!  I don't usually read this stuff, Paul.  Good luck on your  HOTD!  smile  Er....wasn't this hub wrote a few weeks ago?

Yes, please do post your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hubs, Randy Godwin. Sharing your response and seeing what other Hubbers wrote is the funnest part of participating in the WTI. smile

I'll be glad to Christy when the idle/featured program is finally worth depending on.  Any idea when this will be?

And one more question.  Were you guys in touch with Mr.Maplesden before he ever joined the site?  Because in the almost 4 years I've been here I've never seen such promotion and/or self promotion directed towards one single  ordinaryHubber by the staff.  Perhaps it is simply a new thing, but it does indeed look awfully coincidental.

Thanks for your answer!  smile

1. Simone Smith profile image88
              Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It can certainly be depended upon now, Randy. We're just refining some of the traffic timing elements and going through the backlog. The quality rating system is totally up and running.

Paul Mapleson is not associated with HubPages, though because he has been publishing so many high quality Hubs lately, and being so active in the community, his work is naturally showing up on more of our channels. It's just something that happens with Hubbers who get super positively involved with the community, and we're really excited to see how quickly he's building a robust online portfolio for himself on our stie!

So your answer is that no one from HP has ever conversed with him before he joined the site?  Just to clarify because you have to admit it sure looks a bit promotional.  smile

1. Simone Smith profile image88
                  Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep! And I hadn't thought of it as such, but I know that we have differing perspectives on many issues, so I appreciate your bringing it up. smile

No problem, Simone.  I just wanted you guys to know it looked a bit overly promotional, and now isn't a good time for any more conspiracy theories I'd think.  There's enough suspicion about the site already without adding this into the mix.  smile

2. Paul Maplesden profile image76

I'm flattered that you might think I am something to do with the staff, but I can assure you it isn't the case.

I'd like to think I was an OK writer though, having spent many years creating professional content, training and how-to guides in a business role; perhaps I just fit in well at HP?

I do also try and take time to make helpful suggestions, interact with the community in a positive way, create hubs that help out other hubbers and present thoughts and ideas for features that will benefit everyone.

Ultimately, I think that if the site as a whole benefits, then we benefit as individuals. Perhaps the staff members feel that way too?

Incidentally, not sure what you mean about lots of promotion or self-promotion? I occasionally mention hubs that I haver written that might help others, but never link them in the forums and I wasn't aware that I was receiving lots of promotion from the staff? That said, I am pretty good at promoting myself *offsite*.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread I(I remember the 400 post monster of a few days ago that I believe you were involved with Randy). I just wanted to explain where I was coming from. Peace.

Paul.

If you say you haven't been in contact with HP before joining the site then okay.  As I said previously, I've never seen such promotion by the staff before in my almost 4 years here.  In light of the strange goings-on around here lately, it just looks a bit fishy to some of us.  Just trying to clear this up to everyone's satisfaction. smile

Paul's recognition by the Google+ team was entirely through his own effort and hard work. The HubPages staff had nothing to do with it. Pinky swear.

I don't seem to be making myself clear, Christy.  Has HP ever been in contact, in any manner whatsoever, with Mr.Maplesden before he ever joined the site.  Not if he is working for HP now.  A simple yes or no will end this line of query, I promise Christy. smile

Thanks again!

3. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 11 years ago

If you're curious about the results of last week's WTI, check out the responses here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/109403

4. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Here is a hub I wrote yesterday that lists each step of the Google Authorship verification process, specifically for hubbers: http://notpc.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Se … s-Accounts

Great tutorial, NotPC! Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow, and your images are extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!

2. MarleneB profile image91

I am really glad you wrote this hub. I used a tip that you gave to verify authorship. Excellent guide. Thank you.

5. avorodisa profile image78
    avorodisaposted 11 years ago

Hello, Christy. And hello hubbers.
    I did it. Here is my post about Google +
    http://avorodisa.hubpages.com/hub/How-G … -Your-Life

Great article Avorodisa, love your use of lots of images and screenshots as well.

1. avorodisa profile image78
        avorodisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Paul. Thank you for your interest in my article. And thank you for your encouragement.

Cool Hub, avorodisa. I think your parallell between social networking and city life is spot on!

Thank you, Christy.

3. MarleneB profile image91

Your hub is very helpful to people like me. I have been a little nervous about stepping into the G+ world. I like that you included photos as a visual aid. Really great hub!

I'm very happy to be of help)))

6. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Please add the G+ button back to hubs. Its obviously popular and important.

1. NotPC profile image58
      NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would +1 this post if I could smile

We found that the G+ button was getting low engagement and that people actually use the sharing options more with less choices. Bringing back the G+ button isn't completely off the table, but we don't have any definite plans to do so at this point.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fabulous irony HP has a Topic Inspiration about G+ , but does not support it. Virtually 99% of pages from good sites have G+ on their pages - but not silly HP. For Firefox users there are various addons that do the job.

We like Google+ and think it's relevant to the online community as a major social networking platform. Unfortunately, the G+ button in particular just wasn't getting much use here on HubPages.

2. agvulpes profile image86
          agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could not agree with you more. Just adding that perhaps the fact that there will be a 'Google' link on every Hub may be a SEO problem.  I would have thought it would help but I'm just not smart enough to know the answer to that, maybe some one more technically minded than me can comment?

2. MarleneB profile image91

Until reading the hubs from this weekly topic, I was never prone to click on the G+ button. For me, it was just easier to go with what I was more familiar with. I am thrilled that this topic was assigned because the hubs I have read from this assignment have all been a great help to me. I am actually inspired to get more involved with G+ so now if the option to share with G+ were to be brought back in the future, I might be more willing to "engage". Thanks so much for a great topic.

Glad these Hubs have been helpful for you, MarleneB! smile

7. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

As an aside, but it is related, why does HP insist on wrongly using the vague term "user engagement" when what you mean is 'hits' or 'traffic'

when  you say  "G+ button was getting low engagement" - what you mean was that G+ was getting few hits.

User engagement means something quite different. Here's a link about what is really meant by G+ user engagement   http://blog.rjmetrics.com/new-google-pl … ngagement/
    but I'm sure this is not what you mean.

Here's a link to what user engagement means in Google  Analytics and how hard it is to measure.
    http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/engageme … an-excuse/

If you are saying that few people clicked on the G+ button - why not say that. If the expression "G+ button was getting low engagement" means something else - what is it?
    Why have HP staff been instructed not to use ther words "Button Hits or Clicks" and "Traffic".

Thanks for clarifying, janderson99. We've found that the G+ button got few actual clicks and also that it was not facilitating user interaction with the content.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could ask what this means:
        "not facilitating user interaction with the content." and how you measure it? But I won't!

8. MissJamieD profile image57
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

I don't know how to use Google+, I only recently joined the site and have no idea how to use it so I'll definitely be watching for these hubs to learn from.

1. NotPC profile image58
      NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The two most recent hubs I have written will set you up nicely.

1. MissJamieD profile image57
        MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wonderful, thank you so much:)

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is a subject I've had a lot of questions about too. I'll have to read all of these hubs just as soon as i find the time, hopefully tomorrow.

9. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Oh bummer! I totally thought this was a competition! *sad face* ...... *just kidding face!*

Everybody wins! tongue

For now, it's just a chance to share your Hubs with others and read their responses, though a competition might be fun at some point in the future. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)