Best methods to drive traffic to hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    OanaBoteanuposted 11 years ago

I am new to hubpages (about 2 weeks) and I have been educating myself in ways to drive traffic to my hubs. I would love to get some advice from existing hubbers and your knowledge in traffic.
    What are your top methods of driving traffic?
    What is time effective/what is not?

Any advice is welcome and highly appreciated.

Oana

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Oana, good traffic is sustained over time. So no matter what we share with you, it takes time to build traffic. In my experience, emailing, tweeting, and fbing new hubs gives an initial boost. Of course, building a presence in the hub community by following, commenting, etc, will gain hubber views and increase traffic. Although hubber traffic is nice, your goal over time is to get organic traffic outside of hubpages and that's what takes time. I'm sure other more experienced hubbers will share other methods with you. Good luck.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

IMHO it is easier to draw traffic than drive it.  That is, focus on making material that strangers will find and spontaneously share with other strangers.  For me, this means mining obscure topics with significant niche followings.

3. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Title and subject.

Get the title right, which is not always as easy as it might sound and try not to write articles on over worked subjects.

That is probably not driving though, it is more like baiting the hook.

4. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 11 years ago

Somebody's going to bring it up so it may as well be me. Do your keyword research. Check your hub's stats and see what it is they're searching for that brings them to your hub.

5. profile image0

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I will definitely  take them all on board.
    In terms of Facebook, I almost start feeling bad on posting the links on my friends pages- of course I do make sure I do it with moderation. I tried to join a few groups, but it just looks like everyone advertises in there. I am not sure if any of the group members joined to actually read/learn about the topic.
    Do any of you find Facebook groups effective?
    Another little question I have is about Anti-Valentine's comment. I am sorry if this is silly and maybe I should know but I can't seem to find it. Where/how do I check hub metrics? I can only see an option to check my traffic sources.

Once again, thank you so much for the help and your great advice.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
      Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A hub's stats are found by visiting a hub, in the top left of the screen, above the title. Just note that it may take some time for stats based on search terms to be collected.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The search terms are not found on the hubs anymore.  I don't know if this is temporary or permanent.

1. 2uesday profile image66
          2uesdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed this the other week and wondered if they were changing the way we viewed them. When I read this I went to look if they had returned but no luck even on my older pages.  I found them useful in the past.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is missing is "Tags" which are set by the author.

"Search terms" are reports of what words people put into a search engine before coming to your hub.

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
            Dame Scribeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

and in addition smile it's best to add your keywords nearer the top of your content. It will help the 'bot spider' to 'identify' what it's about.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Facebook works if your Facebook "friends" are likely to actually want to read the hub out of genuine interest in the subject.  IMHO this is rarely the case unless you have a niche Facebook fanpage on the same topic as your hubs. You can't sell lettuce to a wolf not matter how hard you try.

1. Oscarlites profile image68
      Oscarlitesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hey!   put some hamburger inside the lettuce and call it hamlet!  smile

7. Hunbbel Meer profile image74
    Hunbbel Meerposted 11 years ago

A good amount of traffic takes reasonable time. Because as hubs mature, they tend to do better in the search engines.

My advice would be to:

1. Build your online presence
    2. Optimize your social networks
    3. Work on your SEO skills
    4. Achieving natural and organic traffic via search engines should be your primary goal.
    5. Till then, you should use numerous social networking and bookmarking websites to drive traffic.
    6. Be Patient! (the most important one)

Best regards,
    Hunbbel Meer

8. ecocanadian profile image61
    ecocanadianposted 11 years ago

I find Google is the best driver of traffic. To do well with it your title is key.
    You'll notice if you start typing a phrase into Google it'll offer suggestions on what you might be looking for.
    These suggestions are more likely to get searches to find search suggestions which are related to your hub and don't have much competition. Then work that phrase into your title.

Good luck!

9. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I have this appearing on my hubs where the terms use to be -

Search Term Sources
    Search terms data is not currently available.

1. ecocanadian profile image61
      ecocanadianposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should setup google analytics

1. 2uesday profile image66
        2uesdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have, I just liked having the search terms on the hub that had brought the traffic to the page.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Google analytics took that feature out sad we can't see the keywords used to see how they arrived to our site. I use another web analytics for my other blog which is awesome and helps me see what's going on. Maybe you can do the same. Stat counter wink

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
      Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another useful feature being done away with. There's a lot of that going around nowadays...

11. lemonkerdz profile image92
    lemonkerdzposted 11 years ago

When i first started about 2 months ago i had the same question, it seems like it is a combo of ideas, but the best one i have recieved that worked the most was leave feedback on others.
    you can´t take and never give, it´s greedy even in the hub world. So search the subjects of your interest and leave meaningful comments and you will see the views rise slowly.

12. profile image0

Thank you so much everyone for all these great suggestions. I really appreciate your help.
    I'm going to make a plan,  and try focus on these suggestions step by step.

13. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

There is a lot of good advice given on this thread. I also post links to my hubs on Facebook, Pinterest, PinCredIt, Scoop.it, Snip.it and I participate on outside forums that deal with your subject mater.

1. profile image65
      Jmiller17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

LuisEGonzalez -- Can you be more specific on how you use Scoop.it and Snip.it? Do you write separate related articles and post backlinks in them? i had never heard of pincredit and when i googled it i came up with nothing. Can I get a little more information...

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I took so long to answer. Scoopt.it and Snip.it are sites wher you can post links to your hubs. A good way to build a following there is to also snip or scoop other's articles,images etc. The only issue with these sites is that you can only post a link once. PinCrediIt is for posting photos or links to photos much like on Pinterest.
        http://snip.it/
        www.scoop.i
        http://pincredibles.com

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Scoop.it, Snip.it are sites where you can post links to your hubs or articles. You can only post each link/article once. PinCred It is the same as Pinterest but the site can pay you for adds. Good to do is to scoop, snip or pincredit other's articles so that you can build a following. All these sites have the ability of driving copious amounts of traffic to your hubs.
        http://www.scoop.it
        http://snip.it/
        http://pincredibles.com

14. Anil and Honey profile image61
    Anil and Honeyposted 11 years ago

Build connection with social networking like Facebook, create Blogs and link hub, visit others hubs and careful be present in hubpage.

15. profile image0
    go2sadyposted 11 years ago

maximum follow

16. Joseph Muendo profile image50
    Joseph Muendoposted 11 years ago

You can link you hub URL to a blog like blogger or word press using your refferal tracker. By doing so when people visit your blog they will eventually stumble to your hub link and check out your hubs hence driving traffic to your hubs.

17. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

Building backlinks is truly a waste of time, time that could have been spent writing something worth reading.

By all means, share on your social networks, folks you know may want to read your stuff...and they might then share it, but linking schemes are a thing of the past...they used to be a big deal, now, not so much.

18. profile image0

Thanks again to everyone for all this advice! I do really appreciate taking the time to help me.
    I have been trying one by one to implement all the suggested methods. Now I also started submitting my Hub URL to search engines, got my Google analytics setup and webmaster tool (found this out on some other forums on here).
    I continue using facebook groups. The traffic is not amazing so far, but I'm working on it.

Thanks a lot again for all your help.

19. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

Social networking is one option. Social Bookmarking is another. Aside from that, promoting on related forums/message boards is a good way to gain exposure. Make sure each affiliate program is configured and just keep writing. The trick to generating traffic is content. Plain and simple. Content is king.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)