which do you recommend for a blogging Drupal vs. Wordpress

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Csanad profile image71
    Csanadposted 11 years ago

I read that with Drupal you can do absolutely everything, but Wordpress is easier to learn and for administration of your blog. So which is better on the long term, Drupal or Wordpress?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

It's been a long time since I researched this, but at the time I researched Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress and decided to go with Wordpress.

The reason I made that decision was that Wordpress is so popular, which means there's an enormous amount of material available, free, to enable you to do almost anything you want.  There are hundreds of free themes (i.e. ready-made designs), hundreds of plugins (which automate almost any process you might want to run), and excellent support.  I'm not very technically-minded, so having so much ready-made material available was perfect for me.

Csanadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As of today,

Wordpress has 23,114 plugins
      Drupal has  19,945 modules

Wordpress has 1,667 themes
      Drupal has 1,603

So, obviously Wordpress has an edge there, but not by much.

1. Simone Smith profile image86
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that if you're pretty savvy as a developer, you should go with Drupal, but if you're more of non-coder-super-visual-person, Wordpress is best.

Csanadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I found an awsome review. Read the comments also.
          http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cms.htm

3. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

Why use quarky junk? Go Adobe Muse.

4. ilscherzo profile image67
    ilscherzoposted 11 years ago

I've made websites for clients on Joomla! before, and can say that it is quite a powerful platform, far more so than Wordpress. Many of the plugins that are offered as optional items on blogging platforms like Wordpress are generally implemented as core features on CMS platforms like Joomla! and Drupal. The CMS platforms are themselves easy enough to customize and learn, so there should be no issue.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To quote from the excellent review linked above:

"With around the same sort of numbers of templates and plugins as Joomla... it is much more usable for the beginner than Joomla... - and far, far simpler."

And for Joomla:

"Joomla is either a complex CMS that is fairly easy to use; or a basic CMS that can be extended later...; or perhaps, for newcomers, a very complicated way to run a website.... If you are new to CMS, I would certainly advise you to get a Joomla-using friend to hold your hand for the first few days, as there is a serious risk of being overwhelmed."

The mere fact that you have clients suggests you are a technically-inclined person, and that means you'll take a lot of things in your stride that others would find difficult.   It's important to remember that it's not just techie people who want to create websites these days!

I've been forcibly reminded of this myself.  I don't see myself as a technical person but I do run several Wordpress sites.  I've recommended Wordpress to others a few times, and been amazed that they've found it overwhelming.  Some of them have found even Blogger too difficult.  So I've stopped claiming Wordpress is "easy" - it depends very much on the person.

1. viryabo profile image95
        viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Marissa,
        I am one of those that took your recommendation, and im so happy i did.
        I went to your hubs on how to setup a website using WP and found them very detailed guides and so easy to follow. I did it in no time, and im not that technically inclined either.
        I still refer to your hubs on this, now and then, when i want to build a new site.

Oops, I've unpublished some of those Hubs because they got idled.

If you need help with anything on Wordpress, just send me a message.

1. viryabo profile image95
            viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those were great articles. I guess its HP's loss.
            Thank you Marisa,  Will definitely do.

5. Samith Jhon profile image58
    Samith Jhonposted 11 years ago

I recently tried WordPress and think its a bit of a resource hog, all the sites I make with it appear to run a lil sluggish and slow where all my drupal sites run fine with no modifications. I will say though that I can get a WordPress site up and going quicker than drupal. In the end I think drupal can fit pretty much any project where WordPress is nice for somewhat simple sites is not communities

That's fine if you have the kind of mind that is able to comprehend and use Drupal effectively.

A lot of people are looking for a non-technical solution, which enables someone who isn't a programmer to create a website. Wordpress provides that solution.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)