What would it take for Tebow to Play?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

I really want to see Tebow play.  It's not enough that the Jets can't run the ball or pass it for Tebow to play significantly.  What will it take.  If he comes in and runs the table, the Jets could be a playoff team:)

2. profile image0
    El Rayposted 11 years ago

I would love to see Tebow play, but the team/Coach Ryan needs to face the facts about Sanchez first and then rally behind Tebow.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
      A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He's got no blockers.

3. calebacea097 profile image58
    calebacea097posted 11 years ago

Or everyone can realize that the truth about Tebow, he was great college quarterback because of a system, he is an average quarterback now because of the fact that he is a system quarterback. Now for the Jets to get better the team has support The Sanchize, bringing in Tebow was the worst possible way for them to motivate him. It is not a quarterback problem but an organization problem. The entire New York Jets team is horrible right now, and the only reason why this is a question is because of Tim Tebow. All of those forth quarter come backs were because of Denver's good Defense. So in order for Timmy to play it would take an act of God.

4. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

if Tebow wants to play this season it is going to take a trade to make that happen. For the sake of all involved he made a mistake by coming to NY.

He should have gone to Jacksonville.

1. profile image0
      number2sonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At least you're right about that.

5. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 11 years ago

If Tebow would change his position, say like to full back, tight end, or in the slot, he would probably play. He is not a quarterback, I seriously doubt he is ever going to start with any team again at QB. He had his 15 minutes with the Broncos.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They better stop bringing Tebow in, it's not even just Sanchez he messes up, it takes the entire offense out of rhythm.

The Tebow offense is simply not effective. This experiment is failing.

-2 yds and one interception.

Jets win and there is a small window of hope in the air. And you can bet Tebow is not a part of any of it.

1. calebacea097 profile image58
        calebacea097posted 11 years agoin reply to this

At least there is an agreement that tebow is and well never be a pro quarterback.

2. profile image0

What in the world are you talking about?  -2yds and an interception!  That has nothing to do with Tim Tebow!  He threw the ball pretty well for the Jets this season.  He just didn't have enough chances to put up any good stats.  Mark Sanchez has been regressing since his first 2 seasons.  I don't think that he is very good.  Maybe Tim Tebow is not a good fit for the Jets, but he doesn't deserve to be punished for that.

6. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

Him being good at football would be a great start.

1. calebacea097 profile image58
      calebacea097posted 11 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHAHAHA well at least he is a great marketing scheme for christian apparel.

2. profile image0

He is.  Why can't everyone see that?  He is very talented, and can play many positions.

7. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 11 years ago

Well...various news reporters claim that he doesn't do that well in practice, so maybe him working on this freaking game in the off season, and actually PRODUCING in practice might convince them that he can play.

I think another thing they need to do is figure out exactly what role they want to use for Tebow.  It's obvious this year that the jets had no clue how to use him, or what to use him for.  This off season, I think it would be best for Coach Ryan to figure that out, or try to get the new gm to trade Tebow somewhere else.  However, I doubt seriously the owner wants Tebow traded, so I think they're best bet is to try to figure out what exactly his role is on the team, as they didn't see to have a clue this year....

What news reports have you been reading.

The fact is that Woody Johnson wanted him. Rex Ryan did not. Woody pays the bills but Rex sets the lineup.

When decisions like this are made it is nothing but a formula for disaster. A train wreck is what we watched. Maybe if Sanchez was given some targets we might have seen otherwise. But with Revis and then Holmes both out with injuries there was little hope for the Jets.

I agree with Len Cannon - 'Him being good at football would be a great start.' Tebow is not and that is all there is to it. Bringing him in was a bad move and bad energy. Elway knew it and even before Denver had Manning Denver had no intention of keeping Timmy. To me that says alot.

Jets season was over before it began. .

1. profile image0

OK, you're right about that.  Sure, he needs better receivers, but honestly, many other quarterbacks would do better than he does with the weapons he has.  He has Santonio Holmes, (no, he didn't have him for most of this season), Jeremy Kerley (he has really developed into a good receiver), Braylon Edwards, Stephen Hill, Dustin Keller, and a few others.  I wouldn't say that he has nothing to work with.  Tim Tebow knows how to play football.  He knows how to play a decent starting quarterback, with great leadership skills.  Yes, the Broncos defense last season helped him out a lot.  However, those comebacks weren't the defense, those were Tim Tebow.  Why can't anyone on this forum see that?

whoa...... sure you have named some decent receivers but now put this list into context
          Santonio Holmes - Foot - IR. Out for season Week 4
          Jeremy Kerley - One of the Jets' few bright spots during an embarrassing 2012 season, 24-year-old Kerley established career highs in receptions (56), yards (827), and touchdowns (2) during his second NFL season. But never really had the same synergy that Sanchez had with Tone or with...
          Braylon Edwards who was picked up with 3 games left in the season
          Stephen Hill - rookie who has to learn how to keep his 2 feet in no matter where the catch is
          Dustin Keller - one of my favorites but Dustin 2012 was a lost season for this TE as he ended up missing eight games -- or half of the season -- due to hamstring and ankle issues.

Now add into the equation the confidence and lack of support that Sanchez received from bringing in Tebow. Puleeze the guy had no shot of having any kind of season to brag about. The Jets organization needs some serious house cleaning and as a Jets fan I hope it starts with Woody Johnson selling the team.

As for Tebow his biggest mistake this past season was to come to New York instead of going south to Jacksonville. There at least he would have played and could have turned into the star you believe him to be.

1. profile image0

I don't think that he is a star.  I think that he is a lot better than he is made out to be by many people, yourself included.  Mark Sanchez didn't have a good season last year.  Tim Tebow wasn't on the team last year.  He also had Santonio Holmes for all of last year.  I hate the Jets, but someone that I know who kind of likes the Jets, has been telling me since he (Mark Sanchez) came into the league, how Mark Sanchez is not very good.  The guy is right.  He isn't.  Why can't Jets fans admit that already?

1. profile image0
              Stevennix2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll admit you're right that Mark Sanchez isn't an elite quarterback, and I personally think the Jets can do better, but do you honestly think Tim Tebow is better?  I'm sorry, but last year was an obvious fluke for Tim Tebow, as his throwing mechanics haven't improved hardly at all since coming into the league.  Plus, he's a running quarterback, and those kind of qbs don't have long careers in the nfl.  In a lot of ways, i think if the jets were smart, they should try playing tebow the same way cowher did with Kordell stewart for the steelers back in the 90's. 

You know, have Tebow be a slash running back, slash wide receiver (or tight end preferably for Tebow's case), slash back up quarterback, and etc.  I can definitely see Tebow having success with the Jets if they played him that way, but sadly I don't think Ryan is interested in doing that.  Sad...

1. profile image0

I'm not sure that it was.  Well, how about guys like Donovan Mc Nabb, and Steve McNair?  They were runners.  How about Steve Young?  He won a Super Bowl.  Yes, I will concede that he is not a great passer.  However, if he improves in that department, I think that he has a lot of the other things that it takes to be a successful starting quarterback.

1. profile image0

Your right, McNabb and Steve Young were great running qbs, but they still made plays throwing the football.  Same with McNair, when he was healthy that is. 

As for Tim Tebow improving passing wise, the key word there is "If."  If he does improve in that department drastically, then no doubt he'll be a serious threat in the nfl, as a legitimate starting qb.   Look at RG III in Washington, he was able to stun the nfl with his ability to both pass and run the ball well, so if Tebow does improve, then he'll definitely be a threat to contend with.

However, if he doesn't, then the sad reality is that all you tebow fans out there are going to realize how much of a fluke that one season he had with the broncos was if he ever starts again at qb.  Why do i say this?  Well, the simple reason is that every coach in the nfl has already seen tebow play, and they know all his weaknesses by now.  It happens to most qbs in their second season.  Sure, some rookie qbs will do well, but some will struggle the following year because defensive coordinators and coaches will have gotten a full off season analyzing their weaknesses and strengths.  Are we really going to be naive to think that coaches and defensive coordinators haven't done the same thing for Tim Tebow by now?

Heck look at Cam Newton this year.  He had a phenomenal rookie year, but he didn't do so hot this year now...did he?  Well, that's because a lot of coaches and defensive coordinators had a full year to analyze his weaknesses, so now it's up to Newton to work on his game more in the off season. 

Same with Tebow.  If he wants to be a starting qb, then he needs to start actually improving his throwing mechanics, and start PRODUCING in practice to prove to Ryan's coaching staff he can play that position.  If not, then I seriously think they should consider training him in other positions then, or just trade him if they're not going to use him.

1. profile image0

You do make some valid points.  He is going to have put in some extra work to improve where he is lacking, if he wants to be a definite starting quarterback, not someone who couldn't start on a good team, only on a bad one.

2. profile image0

Oh yeah wavegirl22, how about Aaron Rodgers?  He was without Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson for a lot of the season.  He turned other guys like Randall Cobb, into good receivers.  Mark Sanchez can't do that.  Even without his best receivers, Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,295 yards, 39 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions.  Mark Sanchez threw for 2,883 yards, 13 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions.  What do you say to that?  Mark Sanchez stinks!

2. profile image0

It was actually on espn where i heard this, as i know steven a smith and skip bayless had a debate about tebow, and i remember distinctly that steven a smith said that there have been reports that tebow doesn't produce that well in practices; dating back to when he even played for the broncos. 

So steven a smith's argument was, if he's never produced in practice, then why was he even allowed to have a shot last year, when most qbs wouldn't have gotten a shot displaying the same results in practice.

Of course, skip ignored all this logic, as he's obviously in love with tim tebow for whatever reasons.  go figure.  lol

8. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

When your teammates and other league coaches say your skills are less than par, it is only a matter of time before he out of the NFL. Popularity got him in and now that is declining.

1. profile image0

Who says that?  I don't think that his skills are less than par.  It depends on what skills you are talking about.  It wasn't popularity that got him into the NFL, it was being a proven winner, and a Heisman winner.

9. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 11 years ago

No matter his skills, Tebow has been a winner since he's been in the league.  I understand why Denver let him go when they had a chance to get Manning, and I don't think it's smart for a team with an established QB to take a chance on him.  (What the Jets were doing made no sense.)  But, if you're a team like Jacksonville, what would you have to lose by restructuring your roster and giving him a shot for a couple of years?

I hope he succeeds, but I don't think that will ever happen unless a team builds an offense and a roster around him.  Most teams aren't willing to take that chance.

10. profile image0
    number2sonposted 11 years ago

I don't know.  I hope that he goes to another team, and gets to play.  There are multiple reasons for that.  The first is that I hate the Jets.  The second is that I don't think that he will be given a fair chance with the Jets.  Did you know that Rex Ryan has a tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez shirt?  sisterofdummy mentioned that in a comment to my hub, Tim Tebow, the assassination of a career?.  You want to check it out?

11. mcbel profile image64
    mcbelposted 11 years ago

The Jets never had any real intention of letting Tebow play the way he is meant to. Not once, all year, even in practice, was the wildcat offense practiced. Refusing to do this is like riding your bike to your high school reunion when there is a Porsche in your garage.

1. profile image0

I get the analogy.

12. Kasey Reusser profile image62
    Kasey Reusserposted 11 years ago

Tebow needs someone who will actually work with him on his throwing mechanics.  He is a winner as he has proved by now, but the thing that made me angry moreso than anything in Denver was Elway promised two years ago that he would work with him, but he never did.  He could've learned alot under Peyton Manning, but was never given the shot.  If he had a good quarterbacks coach that would work with him on the NFL mechanics in the offseason, he could become a legit NFL quarterback.  If not, then teams are letting that talent and team first mentality that he has go to waste.

1. profile image0

Great comment.  I totally agree.

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image57

I don't know. If an unorthodox method works, why change it? I saw him throw a 60 yard pass in high school. Urban Meyer never opened up the full potential of the passing game at Florida.

1. profile image0

Cool.  I didn't know that you got to watch him in high school.  You might be right about that, but I do think that he is going to have to become able to make every throw, so that he gets respect from defenses, and they don't just put 9 men in the box for him.

Yeah, Percy Harvin, too. If they do put 9 in the box, he will pick them apart.

13. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

He needs to go to Jacksonville.

1. profile image0

Maybe.  He just needs what Kasey Reusser said, and to be in a place where he will start.

14. Miller2232 profile image60
    Miller2232posted 11 years ago

That's an easy answer, when the next quarterback does a faceplant into a lineman's butt.

1. profile image0

Haha.  You can't forget that.  Mark Sanchez is not going to get the job done.  You see that.  Maybe it is because you are not a Jets fan.

15. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

As a Jacksonville resident, I understand the team's perspective. If you are looking to build a good team, You need a good QB. Tebow could be good as any type of back except quarter. Timmy needs to Be behind an established Qb with a good track record of winning (Manning, Manning, Brady.. Etc) so he can learn the mechanics and fundamentals if he wants to stay a qb.

On the other hand, Jacksonville wanted him right out of college and he stated that he didn't want to come back to jax. When ownership changed Shahid Khan stated he didn't want Tebow because Tebow didn't want us. It would have been a win/win. Tebow would have been the starter and the team would have been built around him instead of Jones-Drew

1. profile image0

Maybe.  I guess that he made a bad decision, like deciding to go to the Jets.  It does make some sense what you are saying, he would be better if he had a very good quarterback to mentor him.  Do you know that he almost got traded to the Packers?  That probably would have turned out good for him, because he could have studied under Aaron Rodgers.

1. profile image0
        Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Tebow came into the league with a lot of hype because he was part of a dominant team in a relatively weak conference. So with that hype and arrogance he thought he should go to a "winner" so he chose the broncos. Bad move for him because now he is getting exposed for what he is.. mediocre as a QB but good as a running, full, half, or tailback.

Sure, the SEC is a weak conference.

2. profile image0

Well, actually, the Broncos chose to draft him that early.  I don't know if it was his decision.  If he can improve on his passing, he could be a feared player.

1. profile image0
            Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the second part. But the first part, Tim stated that he didn't want to come to Jacksonville. He said it in an interview on the local news. He said He loves his home, but didn't want to come back. He wanted to be in a bigger market

1. profile image0

Maybe he was just trying to explain why he was happy with what happened.  I don't know all that much about that part of his career.  I know more about a little later in his career, and his early life.

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image57

He said that he did not care much for the coaching staff. Things change.

16. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 11 years ago

It keeps being stated if Tebow was behind a proven Quarterback, like Manning, it would be helpful....maybe in understanding the game...but not his mechanics. Every NFL team has a Quarterbacks coach, so you have to think that they have tried to work with Tebow, his mechanics  improved regardless of who he's behind and  learns the game from. He did well in Florida because of Florida's option/system, He's a dam good athlete, but will not make it at quarterback.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)