Is Rock and Roll Officially Dead?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Keith R Greene profile image60
    Keith R Greeneposted 11 years ago

Yes or no? If it is, what finally killed it?

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Watch TV commercials - recently AC/DC are all over them; even Rush is in one. Look at Guitar Hero and other games - classic rock is very popular. Go to a rock concert - I went to Rush several times in the last year - half the audience (of over 10,000) were under 35.

Look at the movies - a lot of rock music continues to be featured. Look at Broadway - American Idiot, Rock of Ages - very popular.

Is rock and roll dead? Nope!!!

Keith R Greeneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great post Simey! Also, there is still Jack White and a collaboration between Mick Jones and the Wallflowers...is there hope of another huge band like Nirvana coming, or even U2?

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been listening to some interesting music recently - Halestorm are pretty decent and actually have a Grammy nomination - the female vocalist is great. Volbeat are another band - they are from Denmark and the lead singer has a very original sound - they mix heavy rock but also have some country style songs.....

There are many others - they just aren't hitting the 'mainstream' which seems to be dominated by pop aimed at a teen audience!

2. bat115 profile image79
        bat115posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band have all but insured that Rock & Roll is here to stay.

2. Jasminstory profile image61
      Jasminstoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lil Wayne, thats who!

3. Don Fairchild profile image71
      Don Fairchildposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If your looking for a song with lyrics about love, sorry Rock & Roll is dead.
      If your looking for a song about a man and his car, sorry Rock & Roll is dead.
      If your looking for a song about a male heart throb pouring his heart out to his girlfriend, sorry Rock & Roll is dead.

4. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rock and roll evolved from genres of jazz and blues music.  In the 1950s, rock and roll was in its infancy which it has lingering notes of jazz and blues.  However, in the middle 1960s, rock and roll in its purest and original form died out with the event of the Beatles and the British invasion of such groups as the Rolling Stones and Herman Hermits. 

In the late 1960s, rock and roll became infused with other genres of music e.g. psychodelic rock. Rock and roll is ever changing and evolving as a music form.   Forms of rock and roll evolved into other forms of music in the 1970s such as disco and punk and in the 1980s, 1990s and beyond such as technomusic, fusion music, and other genres.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"Is Rock and Roll Officially Dead?"

Not as long as I am alive. big_smile

I hope you will be around for along time!

2. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1000

3. ienjoythis profile image69
    ienjoythisposted 11 years ago

Rock and Roll is not dead. Because bands like  Led Zeppelin,  AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Rush, and CCR...just to name a few...still have so many followers. Each generation goes back to those groups because they made real music. If Rock and Roll was dead, then people wouldn't keep going back to when Rock and Roll was at its best.  Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution.

So, alive like classical music? People still follow Beethoven and Bach...I do try to keep the spirit of Rush and CCR alive myself

4. ienjoythis profile image69

Sure classical music is still alive. Many musicians play Beethoven and Bach's music to honor them and to keep their spirit alive. I do not believe any music really dies. It has its cycles. CCR and Rush are two of my favorite groups.

Love the point about musical cycles...I agree. Too few people listen to music that has a message

5. ienjoythis profile image69

You hope I'll be around for a long time? haha why is that?

6. ienjoythis profile image69

You are correct about people not listening to music that has a message.

7. ienjoythis profile image69

Simey, you're absolutely right!

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

it'll never die.....i've been asked to make sure my will contains sumthin' about who gets my music collection...ha ha ha

9. Joseph041167 profile image61
    Joseph041167posted 11 years ago

"Hey-Hey-My-My, Rock-n-Roll will never die."--Neil Young. True rock-n-roll, if it is pure, is a subdivision of the blues, and rooted in the blues. This is a historical backed statement, which I could cite source with work. The etymology even comes from the Blues culture. The scales and chordes and progression comes from the blues. Blues has been here since at least the 20's, and it has not died. Very old fashioned rock-n-roll has been here since the 40's. We had Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, and numerous others. The early origens of stuff like "Heavy Metal," were happening in the sixties. I really do not think that Rock-n-roll will ever die, I can almost assure you this. It may lose popularity unfortunately. It may change it's form and morph. Look at the big picture. Beethoven was rock-n-roll for his generation. It was "heavy" music. And Stravinsky was "wild", absolutely wild. I really think rock-n-roll can be traced back to African jungles, or even Celtic jungles, many-many thousands of years ago, maybe Cro-Magnon era, likely before that. No, I can almost say with certain, rock-n-roll will never die.

Just a great reply and i don't think there is any question that it all started with the blues. So is hip hop the new form of rock and roll?

1. Joseph041167 profile image61
        Joseph041167posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Keith R Greene- I do not care for hip hop or especially rap. I do enjoy old shool rhythm and blues, soul, and blues. "So is hip hop the new form of rock and roll?" I am afraid to concede that unfortunately hip hop may be the new form of rock and roll. I am sure that it can be argued toward that end. We do not have to like it. The youngsters today really like it. It works for them. It might be a good idea for us older people to remain current, and this would be Bob Dylan's advice and guidance on the subject. I suppose it possible that old school rock and rock-n-roll, could become a novelty, or memorabilia item. I think part of it is here to stay a while. Most of the country they are putting out now sounds just like old rock. "Country aint country any more." And this is true partly. Old sounding rock is also still being created. Old school rock is still here, it has not died out yet. Some of the Classic Rock performers are still putting out original pieces in their genre. There are also new acts still putting it out. There is a radio station here I have not listened to in a few years for extenuating reasons called the Buzz 102.9 FM, they put out a lot of new hard rock. It is not all that differant, I do not suppose. Largely, the kids today like hip hop and rap and stuff. I am not sure what to think about that, but they like it.

Although I dislike the trend in modern music to not play instruments, I am always compelled by storytelling, particularly in hiphop. Although artists like Common and Talib Kweli are not Otis Redding or Sam Cooke they are incredibly introspective and positive, something I respect and appreciate. No one could ever be Dylan; he comes along once in a lifetime.

10. profile image0
    tattuwurnposted 11 years ago

It'll never die.. it just goes into different phases smile

11. safiq ali patel profile image66
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

Rock and Roll live for ever....

12. Keith R Greene profile image60
    Keith R Greeneposted 11 years ago

I love this!

13. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Rock is certainly not dead. In fact, a lot of the older bands from the 60's 70's and 80's are coming back stronger than ever. KISS is a prime example of that. They started performing in 1973, and are now touring the world with Motley Crue, and, it is said that every single show is 100 percent sold out. And, have sold over 100 million albums. Even bands like the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith are still selling out shows. Led Zeppelen even has a new CD on the shelves.

I actually went to see Aerosmith, not too long ago, and a majority of the concert goers were under 20.
    I actually found it funny that two teenage girls were going nuts over Steven Tyler, even though he's near 60 years old. That's the power that rock Icons have, and will always have.

The problems is, that the music industry does not want to promote them, because the majority of people who spend huge amounts of money on music are pre-teenage girls. It's why someone like Justin Beber is so popular right now. But, he will go the way of new kids on the block, back street boys, and NSYC. As in the music industry will see him as old news, and look for someone younger. Boy bands equal big dollars,  even if they can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Also if you look at today's country music, it's basically rock with a cowboy hat on it.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The question is, why are there so few new rock and roll bands? I am talking about the basic Neil Young, Hendrix type stuff. People got tired of or rebelled against that lead guitar and beautifully coordinated base sound.

1. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like I mentioned. It is not that those new bands are not out there, it is that the studios are not looking for them, or wanting to promote them. I have been to a few rock concerts, and the first act has been a band that is trying to get into the music business. The Kenny Wayne Sheppard band is a good example.

I saw Van Halen a few years ago, and the Sheppard band was touring with them. And, we were all saying what a great band they were, and how they should be the headliner, because Van Halen was just ok in comparison. Rock bands would be doing a lot better if record companies were not banking on a popularity contest.

Look at American Idol. Almost every top ten person form the last 3 or 4 years has a CD on the shelves, banking on people will remember them from the show, and buy their albums. They are not looking for who is good, but who has the popularity to sell CDs. Like Susan Boyle for example. Nobody ever heard of her, and suddenly, she is selling a million CDs. All because of Simon Cowell.

People like Carrie Underwood, came into the music scene as an unknown, and was transformed into a country music star, and just watching the country music awards on TV, there were four more Idols on that show. Why, because they are pushing their music, based on their fame from being on American Idol. The only true country singer out of that group is Scotty McCreary. (IF I spelled that right.)

Even KISS has said many times, that people thought they were done, and that was only because radio stations and the music industry wanted to shut them out. The same thing happened to the Village People, especially when people began thinking of them as a "fag" band. Only to learn a few years ago, that they were actually gay, except for one member who got kicked out of the band for showing up at shows so wasted he could not perform. So, there are a lot of reasons.

Yep. Even Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell tried to put forth some new music, but no one would play it. Where did you hear the new Beach Boys recordings? No where. Who will play the new Monkey's "record?" (Short for recordings.)  I heard one song on Breakfast with the Beatles on KLOS 95.5, here in LA. It was great! But that is not the point, I guess. If yer old, yer old.

Actually, the Monkeys were quite popular not too long ago. They had a hit song called "That was then, This is now." and they put out new music, and went on tour for a while. But, Michael Nesmeth, who was one of the original inventors of MTV, decided that he was too rich and important to partake in any further Monkey's projects. Davey Jones recently died. And, I think Micky D, is the only one left. Even though I thought he was dead.

There is still talk of the Monkeys being reformed as a new band, with new singers to go on tour and sing their music, just as there are several popular Beatles tribute bands touring the country.

A caller on KLOS said the rest of The Who and the rest of the Beatles should get together! heh heh! I do not think Paul and Ringo can stand each other... I don't know.  I also think it would be a trip if the Beatles sons' (or daughters, whatever) could get together!  So ridiculous. Why were we so captivated with that huge marketing campaign.  Not to mention we will forever be nostalgic about them. Isn't that just weird? Besides the fact that we just loved their music. I still do. I am also someone who cannot get enough of (the 24 yr. old) Neil Young. I have really been listening to his lyrics lately.
              BTW That Monkey's band just played out here.  Micky D was interviewed on KLOS. He sounded as young and humorous as ever. He mentioned a party he hosted back in the day... Brian Wilson and John Lennon both came and jammed. Even Ringo showed up and played drums at one of his parties.

Just a comment about the children of old rock bands. The Osmonds had a group of their family members who tried to form a band, and Jay Osmond's son was kicked off American Idol. So, there are many that are trying.

Didn't Elvis's Daughter have a record out at one time?

Yes. she did. I never heard a peep of it!

Maybe it will all start all over... records, AM radio, hit parades with new upbeat rythym and blues, with truly catchy lyrics... Naw.

14. profile image0
    chrisyapleposted 11 years ago

Just like pretty much anything else, it changes all the time. That does not mean it is dead. It sounds different than it did in the 80's or 90's, but it will NEVER die!!!

15. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Rock died the day Buddy Holly, Howlin' Wolf, Little Richard, and Chuck Berry were taken off the air and replaced with The mother-effing Beatles. I despised The Beatles enough already, but to destroy the blues influence in my rock music is unforgivable.

Nowadays, rock music is a joke. A geriatric joke that refuses to die. It's too weak to be metal, too stale to be pop, too safe to be punk, and too passé to be relevant to anyone.

(I thought you were a 25 year old kid. You don't sound like that here.)

16. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

There is a couple of ways of looking at this, and to certain extent it even depends on your definition of rock & roll. For music not to become stagnant it needs to evolve. To rock & roll purists and traditionalist they may simply not like what rock & roll evolved to, and they dismiss it as not being rock.

But there is also another element as well. Many people base their perspective on the mainstream. If you are basing your opinion on the current status of Top 40 radio, I can see where someone might conclude that there is a shortage of new rock bands. But you also need to look at the underground.

There is a lot of great indie music being recorded. It is true that one of the current trends in indie music is to make more folksier music featuring traditional elements. But there is no shortage of rocking music either. In terms of more mainstream artists you still have Jack White & The Black Keys. You also have the Alabama Shakes who are an awesome, more traditional blues/soul based Southern rock band. More underground you have indie acts such as Ty Segall, JEFF The Brotherhood, Japandroids, The Kills, PS I Love You, etc... Also with the exception of Segall each of these acts happen to be rock & roll power duos. When people think of rock & roll power duos they quite often only think of The White Stripes & The Black Keys. But the rock & roll tag team division is actually surprisingly competitive.

17. lorddraven2000 profile image91
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

I don't think it is dead but it does seem to have taken a really long break

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)