Any animal hoarders here?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I think I could become an animal hoarder. We already have 3 indoor dogs, and we feed numerous feral cats. We also put food out for the birds and squirrels and take food to the woods across the street for the fox, rabbits, possums, etc. I know we don't need another dog, but I keep finding myself looking online at dogs for sale and for adoption. Whenever I volunteer at our local animal shelter, it's all I can do not to take a couple of critters home with me. Where do you draw the line? At what number of pets do you change from pet owner to animal hoarder? Or, is it more about the quality of care the animals receive?

Our dogs are spoiled rotten and get excellent vet care. We've trapped the feral cats so they could be vaccinated and neutered. Our house doesn't contain any doggie poop, and it's usually fairly orderly.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Four Dogs (used to be five), three cats (used to be five), two parrots, no rats (used to be three) and a fish. (Do lodgers count? - my daughter and her boyfriend live with me too - and they are animals!)

2. SoundNFury profile image83
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

I'm not an animal hoarder, but it sounds like you're doing great things for these animals, and I do think it's about the care you are able to offer them as opposed to strictly the number of animals involved.  There is a big difference between creating a sanctuary for animals as opposed to hoarding them.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I don't hoard animals, but they do seem to hoard me. New critters keep showing up outside almost daily. big_smile

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Para, that happens to us, too. It was a lot worse when we lived in the country, on our mini farm. I lost count of the number of "dropoffs" we got. Once we even got a mama dog with a just-born litter of pups. Of course, we didn't turn any of them away. We fed them, nursed them, and found homes for them or kept them ourselves. At one point, we had 5 outside dogs and 15 cats. When I'd go for a walk through the fields, all the dogs and cats followed me, single file. We looked like a parade! At the time, we also had horses, a pet bull, goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, hamsters, and fish.

4. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

As long as you are able to properly care for the animals, they are clean and have vet care then you are not a hoarder.  Hoarders get overwhelmed. 

I understand the impulse as I have rescued many strays.  I remind myself that I can only do so much. 

I'm making a difference in the lives of the animals that I'm taking care of.  But if I take in more their quality of life might decrease.

I'm like you,  I wish I could take them all in.

5. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

I have two dogs and feed the birds. I think that, when animals are properly cared for, it's definitely not hoarding. nd enough people feed the birds that if something happens to one of us, the birds know where there are other bird feeders. I also have plants in my yard that they can feed on.

However, I would taper off feeding the wild animals - the foxes, rabbits and possums. What will they do when they've expanded breeding because the food is available for a higher population, then they become considered pest by your neighbors. Or what happens to them if something happens to you and they suddenly have no food at all? While you mean well, you may be setting them up for a pretty terrible time of it. Just sayin...

1. habee profile image93

I've thought about that. I'm pretty sure there is only one fox left, and I don't know what it would eat if we didn't feed it. They've gradually cleared most of the woods for businesses, so there's just a small area left. When we didn't feed the fox, it came into our yard and carried off some of our kittens, one by one. When I take food to the woods, I don't see the fox in our yard.

Also, when we don't put out food in the woods for the possums, they come onto our deck or into our carport and eat the cats' food.

The thing is, I hate to waste food when there's some critter that could benefit from it. Several of my neighbors also put food out for the wild animals, so it's not like they're depending on just me.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think you are doing fine, but you know you are at capacity.  I would suggest you make clear to family and friends at the shelter that they should help you resist acquiring any more pets so you can focus on the ones you have.

1. habee profile image93

I think you're right.

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Not quite a hoarder but not far off. Right now we have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 hermit crab who desperately needs a friend, a fish (who also needs a friend), 3 Chickens, and 4 ferals who come and go. I know we are maxed out and have told my husband we are done getting any more mammals until one passes. I have to stay away from the shelters and any pet ads.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I have two dogs and an aquarium.  Fora single person in an apartment I find that to be plenty (borderline too much) because vet bills are pretty high and whenever they travel for work I need to pay a sitter. A family with a decent income and detached home can easily have more pets and not do any of them a disservice.

9. Nicole Winter profile image60
    Nicole Winterposted 11 years ago

Like so many have said, it's not about the quantity, but the quality.  If you are capable and have plenty of room, if their care is top priority compared to their acquisition, then you're definitely not a hoarder.

I will say this, though, God forbid anything ever happened where your family, (or anyone who owns a significant number of animals,) ended up in the newspaper... they always list how many pets these people have, how embarrassing!

We just moved into our new home, (from a one bedroom condo!,) and I've found myself thinking more and more often that our cat, Kubla, could use an aging playmate.  Ideally, a female cat who was his age, or preferably even a little older.  I really feel like it would help to keep him on his toes, it'd keep him younger, etc...

However, he has special dietary needs and my fiance just found out that they're letting him go at the end of the month sad  He's a relatively expensive cat to keep and now I find myself thanking the powers that be that I hadn't followed through on my instinct.

Also, peeples, I have to say, (not sure if you'll see this or not,) I am SUPER jealous of your chicken-keeping.  I tried to convince the fiance that we should acquire one or two hens for their delicious fresh eggs but he was having none of it!

10. Cook n Save Money profile image69
    Cook n Save Moneyposted 11 years ago

I'm currently at my personal limit with two house cats and a large dog. 

I think my vacuum would give up the ghost if I added any more pet hair production to the house!  There seems to be a stray barn cat that "moved in" out there recently, but I don't feed it and hope it doesn't plan on becoming a permanent fixture once the snows melt.

11. WillStarr profile image82
    WillStarrposted 11 years ago

Real animal hoarders are strange people. A renter I once had was a hoarder, and she 'loved' animals, but for some reason, once she had them, it was as if she simply forgot they existed. She seldom fed and watered them, and never cleaned up after them. When I found out about it (she was arrested for animal neglect and cruelty), I inspected the house and evicted her immediately, because the house was destroyed!

I had to toss all the carpets and drapes because they were so filthy, and then have the house fumigated, and chemically deodorized. Then I had to totally remodel the interior.

Never again!

12. Jeanne Louise profile image59
    Jeanne Louiseposted 11 years ago

I know others have said this, but what you are doing for those animals is just lovely. I have two dogs, but that's it. I wish I could take care of more animals, but I rent, and I don't think my landlord would be too happy if I brought in more pets.

13. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Animal hoarders generally don't consider themselves to be such - it''s usually part of a larger mental issue. These people can start out OK but there is a line. The line is when they are taking on too many animals to financially, emotionally, and physically take care of and when they cannot accept the idea of re-homing any of them to ease the situation. I've had to deal with several animal hoarders... there is a big difference between someone with multiple pets and a hoarder. Hoarders are... exasperating at best.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)