The Land of That! Or "How to give yourself a heart attack...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

... without even trying..."

Proceed to one of your longer hubs you are proud of.

Do a browser search for the word, "that".

I'm busily cleaning mine up as we speak.

And that is that. big_smile

1. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean a search through your hub for the word "that"?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep. In Chrome for example, they will all turn up bright yellow.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Kind of odd. Some of my hubs had only 2 or 3 redundant "that"'s. And then there were a couple that had around 15 each. I submit there may be a correlation between frequency of redundant "that"'s and stress/fatigue. Interesting. At any rate, throwing out reduntant "that"'s really does class up a hub. I'm not kidding. Happy Days.

3. ytsenoh profile image60
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

Totally agree.  "That" is an overly overused word that is not always necessary.  Try reading a sentence you have it in without it and if it reads great, then leave it out.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

The word, was, is another no no. And that was that.... ouch, like fingernails on a chalk board.

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Just out of curiosity I randomly went to one of my 2400-word Hubs - one "that". 
    Then I went to a 5400-word Hub - one "that".

The thought occurred to me to quit while I was ahead, so I did.  I'm just going to assume that over-using "that" doesn't happen to be among my own "collection" of "writing misdeeds".   hmm  (Actually, I've been making it a point, in more recent stuff, to use "that" more often.   Some sentences just kind of look "too abrupt" (or something) without it.  Maybe my "one-'that'-in-thousands-of-words" is actually a sign that I have, in fact, not been using the word often enough.   hmm )

One thing I may check my own stuff for, though, is "of course".  I battle with "of course" all the while I'm writing.   roll  A spin-off "exercise" for this thread might be for each writer to check for the words/phrases that he knows tend to be his own "demons".  (I just chose to use "that" just then because it seemed more right   smile  ).   (I also struggle with "in any case" and "in any event".)

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Suddenly I have a Hall & Oates song going through my head:

"I can't go for THAT... whoa, nooo... no can do
    No, I can't go for THAT..."

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or Meatloaf
      ♫"I would do anything for love.......but I won't do that...........No I won't do that"..........♫.

7. cfin profile image66
    cfinposted 11 years ago

"AS". If any of you write fiction, see how many times you write that word. The other one is "while"...... as he wiped a tear from his sun dried cheek.

8. GA Anderson profile image90
    GA Andersonposted 11 years ago

I must be missing something, or else it does not work for Firefox

I pulled up a hub, put "that" in the browser search - bingo! serps for "that."  wiki, dicts, etc.

GA

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Press cntrl F, then "highlight all'.  I find 43 "that"s in 3100 words.  Too many, that's for sure, and that makes it plain that I some work cut out in fixing that particular problem that I seem to have in spades.

I hate paradigm people... big_smile

9. theluckywriter profile image67
    theluckywriterposted 11 years ago

Instead of counting the "that"s...just read your hub and see how it flows! Some words - that, the, a, is, was, and, it - turn up time and time again, but that doesn't mean that they're "bad". They're building blocks of language. So long as a word isn't jarring in how often it's repeated, then I say don't worry about it!

It's like fiction writers who feel the need to replace "said" and "say" with other verbs. No. Just...don't.

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

In fairness to all "that" over-users, though...

Isn't there a difference between American and UK English when it comes to using "that"?  I was under the impression THAT (;rolleyes:) aiming to eliminate "that" is mostly an American thing.  I imagine someone else can clarify if there's such a difference between (at least) the two different countries.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)