Why Should the United States Get Involved in the Civil War in Syria?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 10 years ago

Foreign policy analyst Norman Bailey claims that all across the Middle East Shia and Sunni Muslims are fighting each other. They still are battling in Iraq, even after the U.S. spent $1 trillion dollars and ten years trying to impose America's version of government on the people there. The truth is that there is nothing the U.S. can do to stop the religious war in Syria. Baily says: "The only entities the Sunni and Shi’a Arabs hate more than Israel and The United States, are each other."
    http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/04/29/ … t-threats/
    Your thoughts...?

1. alancaster149 profile image75
      alancaster149posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Best stand back and let them knock seven bells out of one another. Interfering will only bring them back together to use you (or us) as target material. They don't mix here either, so we finish up with double the number of mosques dotted around big UK cities. Don't forget all these other Islamic minorities who also have their own meeting places. If push came to shove they'd all like to get together and biff us.

Dr Billy Kiddposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Now, I get the UKIP political party thing. I did not understand it, alancaster149, until you put it into perspective--a circling of the U.K. cities with mosques and with people unwilling to assimilate. In the U.S. it is a different story. There are 11 million undocumented immigrants but by the second generation they're running for public office!

What about the radicalised idiots who bombed the Boston Marathon. The story was they were keen on US women, and then the older one starts wanting his girlfriend to wear a burka(?) Did the younger brother go along with it because he was weak-minded, or did he think it might be 'fun'? The mother, speaking from Chechnya maintains they were 'framed'. The father had plans to go to the US but thought better of it and claims he stayed away 'for health reasons'.
          The Indians and West Indians/Africans here do a reasonable job assimilating, but the likes of Abu Qatada want to establish Sharia Law here and hang everyone who 'insults' islam. We have 'honour' killings as well, where worshippers of one brand of Islam don't want their daughters going out with worshippers from another sect and 'bump them off'. We have several different grades of Pakistani immigrants, the 'burka' bunch, with just a slit to look out of, the headscarf bunch who don't mind showing their faces, and the liberals who walk about like the Indians and do a better job of assimilating. The Bangladeshis are grouped similarly but all seem to live in the same part of the big cities, swamping schools and changing the rules because they're the majority. I could go on all day...

1. maxoxam41 profile image63
            maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did they bomb the boston marathon or was it the FBI? It is too easy to put the blame on amateurs that was said that triggered the bombs with a toy remote control. The problem is that cookers act like a Faraday cage therefore it would be impossible.

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is also too easy to claim the FBI did it (is there any killing in the US you don't blame on them?) without providing a shred of evidence.

Of the two (too easy) answers, I'll take the one with evidence.  And without fake "science".  (Remove once handle screw and dangle an insulated wire out the hole it was in - there goes the Faraday cage).

1. maxoxam41 profile image63

The FBI knew them and they did nothing? It doesn't trouble you? And by the way, which evidence do you have besides the lies of the mainstream media?
                If I have to remove everything where's the point of using a cooker?

1. Superkev profile image61
                  Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Max, you are mad as a hatter my friend.

2. wilderness profile image96
                  wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I prefer they do nothing until they have absolute evidence that will stand up in court.  Not a guess (like "we know the FBI did it because US government is evil").  You may feel differently, that authorities should jail people based on nothing more than suspicion.

Your proof that the media is lying, please?

Somehow, I never would have thought of a single handle screw (there are typically two) as "everything".  It still leaves the other screw, the handle, the lid and the regulator on top.  You could, I guess, even use that hole and would have done nothing but tip the cooker upside down and allowed the regulator to fall off.

Why is it that you never think of these things?  Because it ruins a perfectly good conspiracy theory?

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90

I think terrorism is a new, worldwide meme--a behavior that's communicated through cultural outlets and the news. So I think the Boston Boys picked it up in Dagestan and thought it would be cool to try in the U.S.

Calls for sharia law just would not make it in America. Women are too free. So you don't even hear about it. Rather, you hear Sheryl Sandberg, the COO at Facebook. telling women to "Lean In." She means that you lean into your future in business not lean away from it. So much advice from a self-made billionaire.

2. jimbrad121 profile image60
    jimbrad121posted 10 years ago

The united states should not get involved. Not unless their 'private war' threatens the united states. The US, contrary to some peoples opinion, is NOT the worlds policeman!

Thanks for the comment.
      I keep thinking that the U.S. should not be the world's policeman. And now that you bring it up--that unless there is a threat, stay out--I'm now thinking that the debate on these things is generally about the threat, and that debate is often exaggerated. You know, if the current regime did not use their chemical weapons against the U.S., why would the next regime in Syria use them against the U.S.?

We're in the same boat, you and us. Afghanistan is our 'ring' at the moment and the fight's more like Thai Boxing. I daresay there are hawks in or around Whitehall itching to get to grips with Assad. Syria was France's responsibility up to WWII, maybe they should send in their Foreign Legion on this, after all the 'Legion' is a sort of UN in itself!

Brilliant idea--sending in France's Foreign Legion. I've been following the Guardian, off and on, but I did not realize Whitehall was taking this war in Syria as serious as some of the reactionary members of the U.S. Congress--who want war now, immediately.

2. maxoxam41 profile image63

I agree with you.

3. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Who said that there were religious wars in the middle east? Isn't it a propaganda to justify our intervention? A propaganda justifying our loot?

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

It's already starting, the rationalization.
    It's not that Syria is a direct threat to the US.
    But to our Mideast BFF Israel.
    Which has already struck on Syria.
    Obviously the US now HAS to rush in behind Israel in support.
    I mean, that's obvious.
    Isn't it?
    Maybe you have to be an Israel Firster (which I am not) to get it.
    If I'm wrong acribing motives,
    I'd be very, very interested in hearing from anyone who is hawking war because they care
    about the Syrian people.

Senator McCain pretended to care about the Syrians at first. Now he has become a fear monger,, saying that if the U.S. don't stop 'em there they'll bring their poison gas to the U.S. But that's the same nonsense we heard about Saddam Hussein and the non-existent nukes.

But the idea of religious wars....10,000 protestors on May 1 in Indonesia fighting the police, wanting the secular government to impose Islamic Law.
      Then there's the daily suicide bombings in Iraq, Sunni Moslems bombing the Iraqi Shiite Moslem government buildings and police.
      Then there's Al Qaeda in Yemen battling the moderate Islamic government.
      And  there's religious battles all over Pakistan, with regular bombings in Karachi.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)