Pat Robertson's simple advice: Cheating husband is the wife's fault

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 10 years ago

Pat Robertson's simple advice: Cheating husband is the wife's fault
      May 16, 2013 By: Norman Byrd

The viewer, "Ivy," wrote: "I've been trying to forgive my husband for cheating on me. We have gone to counseling, but I just can't seem to forgive, nor can I trust. How do you let go of the anger? How do you trust again?"
    Robertson's answer began with "he's a man" and "men have a tendency to wander,
    Well . it looks like Pat's at it again...dispensing martial advice from the 50's
    http://www.examiner.com/article/pat-rob … fe-s-fault

1. MelissaBarrett profile image56
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess you could take advice on a cheating husband from him.

I tend to think this:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8005311_f248.jpg

discourages cheating more than this:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8005315_f248.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

After reading a couple of articles written about his statements I found a link containing the video of what Pat Robertson said in full. This is clearly a case of saying the wrong things with the "best of intentions".
      The woman asked him "How do I forgive?"

Essentially his (ill worded) advice to her was; In order to forgive someone you have to (stop) thinking about what they did to hurt you!

If you really want to stay with him you have to go back to thinking about the "good things" regarding him and what he does. You will (never) forgive anyone by (dwelling on the pain they caused you) every time you look at them. This is clearly advice for anyone who wants to (stay) in the relationship/marriage. If cheating was a "deal breaker" for this woman she would not have sought his advice on how to (forgive and stay).

The main problem with his message was twofold. He worded it in such a way that could make her feel responsible for her husband cheating and he promoted the stereotype that (all men) cheat because it's in their DNA. As if cheating for a man is not a "choice".

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He should've asked if the husband showed real repentance.   That's the only way a woman can forgive,  is if and when she sees true repentance.   And it's the only way the man can even receive the forgiveness even if the wife were to forgive him unconditionally.

I think Robertson's trying to answer questions without enough information and feedback.   I've seen him do that several times;  like a "Dear Abby" column or something.   Most people's problems can't be correctly described,  nor counseled for,   in such short sentences and short time.

1. dashingscorpio profile image82
          dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, I think you have a valid point. He was attempting to answer a question without enough information. Maybe he made an assumption the husband apologized since the wife mentions they are in therapy. Needless to say there are some people who feel the act of "forgiving" is the same as giving a person a "pass". Even if the husband got down on his knees and cried like a baby it still would be a challenge for a lot of women to forgive him.

1. profile image0

Agreed.

Edit---------well,  I went back and read the whole article, and....
            unless Robertson's words have been edited or taken out of context..........it does sound like he's blaming this on the wife........

1. MelissaBarrett profile image56
              MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It really isn't all that different from some of the Christian marriage counseling programs out there. My pre-marriage counseling with my ex relied heavily on me dressing the way he wanted, fixing the food he wanted, keeping the house the way he wanted, and having sex with him whenever he liked.

His responsibility, honest to God, was to make the decisions for the house and work. 

And thus, was how we were expected to "affair proof" our marriage. The preacher even went so far as to suggest I quit my job and find another one for less money so I wouldn't be making more than my future husband.

My ex-husband was all for it (of course) until I reminded him that resentful wives are not happy wives and if he wanted a maid, cook and prostitute then he'd need the extra money I was making.

1. Cardisa profile image88
                Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL LOL, What's the matter with these people. I have never heard anything so absurd in my life! The preacher actually told you all those things? Yikes, what was that movie called? Where all the wives were like zombies, it starred Nicole Kidman.

Yeah Stepford wives!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/Stepford_wives_ver2.jpg/220px-Stepford_wives_ver2.jpg

2. profile image0

There is a lot of that mentality around, yes, even in Christian circles.
                And yes, the Christian counseling that I've seen is often biased in favor of the man.
                But then, I can't judge all of them by a few.
                But I do think that Christians, both men and women, are way too quick to place the responsiblity on the woman.   Seems they forget to emphasize the very-critical Scripture about how the husband, first and foremost, is supposed to Love his wife as he loves his own body............
                I've even seen Pastors counsel people that the wife is supposed to basically enable the husband's lack of responsibility and his gross errors by assuming the responsibility herself for "winning him over with love".    The Bible doesn't say that, that I can find.  It says she should be an example herself of how to behave in situations so that the husband will perhaps be able to follow her example and straighten up!  (It says that he may be won by the "conversation" of the wife, if I'm not mistaken, conversation meaning behavior etc...)
                Because the goal is, for sure, to ultimately create a scenario where the husband does return to his duties as the head of household,  if he is a Godly man.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)