Are women paying their fair share today?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

Men in the past paid for most everything in the household, including the house. They brought home the bacon, so to speak. In today's world, women also bring home their share of the bacon. This is one reason why daycares are thriving.
    Is this true for most/many/any women, or not?

Focusing on a wider view of todays's world: Does the child suffer when mom has to work outside of the home since she must help make house payments? I think, yes. (At least have enough money set aside until the child is two and a half.)

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can't see it makes a lick of difference who brings home the most folding green.  There are many other, non-monetary contributions that are necessary for a home, from mowing the lawn to doing laundry to child care.  More, I would say, than monetary. 

The real question is does the woman contribute their share or making a home and in general the answer would be yes.  Neither men nor women as a group are sluggards, unwilling to fulfill their end of the bargain.

Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...way to end a forum.

LOL  Sometimes it happens that way.

2. Ericdierker profile image46
        Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think that in general the answer is no. Why? Because the modern working mother is pulled just pulled too danged hard in too many directions. This diminishes her ability to be a hearty wage earner and saps her time from being a good mother. I think men are wired a little more toward the task at hand. Often to a point of seemingly not caring about one thing when they are doing another. Whereas the opposite is true of a mother. I do not think we have socially evolved to eliminate that consequence.

no to what?
          and what consequence?

1. Ericdierker profile image46

Uh, no to the question??? The consequence of the women being stretched to thin to contribute a fair share. Including money and childcare.

so, women generally *do* not pay their fair share, money wise.
              or *can* not?

Certainly they can. But at what other costs? So no generally they still do not thank God. Two wage earners is ok. Two career oriented folks should not have children. One of them has to give. Generally it is the woman. So she does not contribute a fair share money wise. In my house we are lucky. I have reached my career and I can give, so much of the rearing is in my hands. And my wife who is younger can pursue her career.

Yes, you are very lucky!  (And the relationship you have with your son sounds awesome, from your other posts.).

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

okay fine... but who gets the short end of the stick? The poor child ripped away from his mother to be put in Daycare. Men nowadays depend on the woman to bring in the folding green, it seems.

Couples depend on women to bring in the folding green.  Along with men.

It is one reason bankruptcy is so common - did you know that it is much more common for a two earner family to go bankrupt than for a 1 earner (two parent) family?  Even given that there are far more of the two earner families?

And, just as you say, it is the children that most often pay the price for the family to have more toys.

Thanks for this info. I believe that IS more common for a two income family to go bankrupt.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

...are women paying more than their fair share: Money-wise and Contributing to-the-house/home-upkeep wise. (I am so surprised no women have responded by now. How come not a peep?)
    I know a woman who must drive a bus every day of the week. She comes home and does everything for her family. I mean everything. She can't not do it... even though I point out to her what she is doing.  They contribute little and appreciate less. They have come to expect it. She has to keep it up, or as she explained to me WWIII will break out.
    Wow!
    Another scenario: I know a man who has gallantly explained that once the baby has arrived, he will work full time for a year!
    Wow!

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Women: Why do you not respond? Is this a touchy subject? Is is a rude question? What?

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Dear Ms. Hill
    All is fine out here in society. Common sense and the natural way is in full swing. Most women are lucky enough to stay home with their children while their husbands work.  When we wish to go back to work, our daycares and preschools do a fine job and all is well. Do not worry about us. We will be fine.

Well,  G o o d ! !

6. Alphapx profile image62
    Alphapxposted 10 years ago

It is true. You are emphasizing the true virtue of women today. However, I still see countries like Korea that women are less paid compared to men. Why in the world would they do that?

Interesting.

7. aliasis profile image75
    aliasisposted 10 years ago

I'm sensing some internalized misogyny, Captain.

Women are more than paying their fair share. They still aren't treated equally in the US, or completely in any other country - though many countries are better off than we are. Check out the Global Gender Gap Report of 2012 and you'll find that the US only ranks 22nd worldwide in women's equality - in terms of, for example, equal pay, equal representation, equal healthcare, etc.

I was very fortunate growing up - my mother is a professional with a doctorate and always made more money than my father. She was an amazing role model for me, just to see how hard she worked to get where she wanted to be - even though it was tough for her. Nope, I didn't suffer for going to daycare - instead, I was taught to be more independent, help out with housework (and my brothers, too, just in case you're hoping this is sexist) and of course our parents always had time for us. My mother is a hero to me, and definitely the kind of mother I want to be - smart, professional, equal to her husband (okay, financially superior, but who's counting?) and a great mother who could balance family, too.

My personal anecdote. smile

8. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 10 years ago

Perhaps not many women have replied because this is a discussion that was had in earnest about 30 years ago?  I'm with aliasis in detecting a bit of misogyny. 

Both men and women are responsible for the well being of children and the household.  How they divvy that up between them is their own business.

Not so fast PrettyPanther, it is my business when they are so dysfunctional as to send bullies and violence out of their home and into my life. Too many households divvy it up alright - into making money and ignoring - not the children - but their responsibilities to them.

1. aliasis profile image75
        aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Eric - Unfortunately, how you raise your child has nothing to do with a mother having no job. Bullies existed even when it was the norm for women to stay home. They get so much attention today because we've finally realized it's a problem we have to stop, not "kids just being kids". Sure, a lot of parents are bad parents and neglect their kids, but there isn't a correlation between that and one parent staying home. In my experience, single moms often do all the housework and home responsibilities, instead of having their kids learn how to do it themselves, depriving them of necessary life skills. Kids don't need - perhaps even shouldn't have - a parent holding their hand 24/7. Not that a parent should work all the time - and that applies to men and women - but finding a balance between work and home life is very important.

Awesome points friend. Quite true kids need space and to learn to take care of things. Critical. My mom's absence was great for me. And I think if she were around more in my adolescence --- I do not know if either would have survived.
          About the bullies of the past --- yes, probably because either their mom or dad was a bully. Probably holds true today. Thanks for adding your thoughts to my learning.

1. aliasis profile image75

No problem, thanks for listening to my side. smile

2. aliasis profile image75

Haha if this were like, ANY other website I would've thought OP was a troll. This isn't the 1960s anymore, kids.

9. Alphapx profile image62
    Alphapxposted 10 years ago

Of all the good things about women working to provide more to the family, I still believe that a woman should stay at home taking care of the family and man should work hard to provide to his family.

This really is the ideal... if only the women could be content. However, women enjoy having a career and a family. They want it all. They are getting it all. Time will tell if the kids (and the men) are happy.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Topic 1: I brought this topic forward because some guys in a forum discussion were being old school chauvinistic. I couldn't believe my eyes.  They were joking around of course, but I took the defense. Of course, in all actuality, women have been paying their fair share for a long time. I felt the men needed to be reminded, I guess.

Topic 2: I do think women need to stay home and take care of their little ones at least until they are 2 1/2, if that can be at all arranged. Some grandmothers live with the family and are willing to take care of the infant while mom works. Thats great, but just remember the child needs to truly bond with at least one adult or he will become angry and unhappy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)