Warning! eBay switches to one-day cookie in October!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

eBay is changing its affiliate scheme in October and there is one HUGE change which has been sneaked in.

Their cookie is now a 24-hour cookie, same as Amazon.  For Hubbers, that makes eBay effectively worthless and I strongly recommend you remove your eBay capsules!  Amazon will now be a better earner for almost everyone.

As you know, eBay doesn't pay per sale, it uses a complicated pay-per-click system that usually pays far less than you could earn for a similar product on Amazon.  But eBay currently has a long cookie - so the customer doesn't have to buy right there and then, they can think about it, browse around, dither, and you can still make your commission.  So although you're earning less per sale, you have more chance of making sales.

As from October, that won't be the case.  eBay and Amazon will both have 24 hour cookies, and since Amazon pays a lot better, ditching eBay becomes a no-brainer.

Sadly that's not going to help me on my websites, which rely on eBay - because my sites serve a worldwide audience and offer products on all the eBay sites depending where the customer lives.  There isn't an Amazon in every country.   I'm not a happy bunny.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for posting this.  But I don't like it one bit!

2. ologsinquito profile image82
      ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thank you for posting this. Sorry to hear this will affect you. It's something we should all know about.

3. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

off topic;
      The voice portion of the "fat belly " ad at the bottom of this forum comes on by itself. and stays on. I wonder if readers have to put up with voice ads while they are trying to read our hubs. What a turn off!
      What else can HP do to us?

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

report ads that do that to HP staff, that is not allowed on here.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image75
          CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've heard those voice ones and sometimes I see one that looks like it is bouncing around on the screen.  Very annoying.

4. Organised Kaos profile image87
      Organised Kaosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gahh, a bit new here and am confused by all this. So does it mean that once 24 hours is up ebay will change the products I chose in their adds? Does that mean that we don't get paid the same amount as the products that I chose?
      What else does this mean? Besides the fact Amazon pay more percentage way, what other benefits are there with going to Amazon?
      Many thanks to someone whom is now trying to do a bit of Hubpages study!

5. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What you predict may come to pass, but I believe that eBay wants to have a program that is competitive.  With their black box payout scheme, it's certainly within their power to  adjust the formula to result in similar total payouts even with a shorter cookie.  I'd wait and see what happens in October before making huge changes to your Hubs.

Historically, on HubPages Amazon and eBay have performed similarly on a per click basis for most of the year, but Amazon usually does better during the holiday season (when people tend to put in huge multi-product amazon orders).

Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not predicting, Paul.   It's in the notification to eBay affiliates:

"For a “Buy It Now” item, you will be compensated if a user makes a purchase within 24 hours. For “Bid” items where a bid is placed within 24 hours of the initial click, you are credited for winning auctions for up to 10 days, which is the maximum length that an auction can last."

As you know, most people don't bid on an auction immediately - they will watch the item until closer to the end of the auction, THEN start bidding. So we'll likely to get little or no commission on auction items.

This makes it even more important that HubPages looks into enabling "Buy It Now" items only.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

You stated some facts about the cookies which I don't dispute, but your conclusion that eBay would become less competitive with Amazon as a result seems to be based on the assumption that eBay would pay more or less the same amount per sale that you generate (and as a result of the cookie change, you'd generate fewer sales).  Under quality click pricing it wasn't transparent how the payouts were determined.   It appears that yesterday they posted a FAQ on how the commission will be calculated in the new system

I don't know what the net effect of the cookie and commission changes together will be on earnings.  But I do know that EPN knows they are competing with Amazon and others for affiliates, and if they want to affiliates to market eBay for them they have to have a competitive product.  So, I'd be surprised if the average payout per click changes too much.

Anyway, I stand by my "wait and see" advice.  If in 2 weeks it's clear to you that eBay is less effective, then by all means switch your capsules to Amazon.

My point is, it has nothing to do with the level of commission.  It has to do with the cookie being valid ONLY for the first 24 hours.

Before, if the customer "watched" the auction, then went back and bid a few days later, you still got your commission.  Now, you won't.

In your original post you said "that makes eBay effectively worthless and I strongly recommend you remove your eBay capsules".

1. agvulpes profile image85
                agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well so far I would say the Marisa is on the money.smile
                Normally see something from ebay about every other day!  Not 1cent from ebay this month so far sad

Looks like another strategy plan on the way smile

There are some issues with the ePN campaign level reports that we are still waiting for eBay to fix, so none of the October earnings are certified yet.  However, if the aggregate daily earnings are correct (and I believe they are), total ePN earnings across HubPages are actually up 40% since the change.  Because they now pay for actual sales, you may see 0's for a while and then get say $6 all one day.  Anyway, I suggest that you give it some more time.

By the way, eBay annouced here that while some partners may make less and some more under the new scheme, that total partner earnings are unchanged.

1. agvulpes profile image85
                    agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul would you say that leaving it sit till the end of October before going to a Plan B would give us a good indication of where ebay is heading ?

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
            LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just to see if I understand correctly; Ebay will still pay for clicks?

1. LCDWriter profile image91
              LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Luis, my understanding is that they will not anymore.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
              Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They pay for actual sales now.
              Paul has a bit more details above.
              http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117407#post2481926

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
                LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying this for me

2. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the info Marisa and sorry to hear that it will mess up your sites. I tend to use Amazon more, in fact I forget about ebay pretty much, good thing if this is happening.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

That stinks. I've wanted to do Amazon, but unfortunately I live in a state where the Amazon affiliate program is not available sad

4. hardlymoving profile image91
    hardlymovingposted 10 years ago

I concluded months ago that Ebay, compared to Amazon's commission based model, pays us pennies where I get dollars from Amazon on a big ticket purchases.  Amazon approved associates can get up to 8% commission ... although my average has been 6%.   I have been deleting Ebay ad links from my articles.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I deleted all of my Ebay capsules about six weeks ago when I realized they were changing the ads at will and many did not match my articles!

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

I've found that based on my subject, either Amazon or eBay has more appropriate products, so I'll wind up keeping whichever has the more relevant product.

6. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

galleryofgrace--I've noticed that ad comes on as well sometimes.  I usually keep my sound on mute but if I accidentally have it on, I'll hear it.

7. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

Yep, my state doesn't allow Amazon affiliates either, so it's a moot point for me, as with others.

Even if you can't use Amazon, consider that an eBay ad may distract a reader from clicking on an Adsense ad - if it's not going to give you a return on that click, you may be better off without it.

8. Shil1978 profile image86
    Shil1978posted 10 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up Marisa. I wasn't aware of this, but I did start shifting from eBay to Amazon capsules a while back. Am glad I did smile

9. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I've never done well with Amazon, but have with eBay. This must depend on the individual hubs. With Christmas just months away now, I'm disappointed eBay is doing this. I've always done well at Christmas with eBay.

10. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

This pretty much reflects my thoughts. I will be raptly watching my eBay earnings stats. If no significant change, I'll continue to muddle along. If I suddenly start seeing strings of zeros, out comes the chainsaw; one less ad for Google to get perturbed about.

1. Tenerife Islander profile image68
      Tenerife Islanderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I will do likewise! I have never made much from Amazon but with eBay I do get money coming in so I will wait and see how it goes!

11. paradigmsearch profile image59

Well, I've got zeros 6 days in a row. Sharpening the chainsaw.

12. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

mmm cookies.

13. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Is it just a fluke then that I earned a lot more than usual on Oct 1st from eBay? like way more than usual... I'm waiting for stats for the past few days to update.  I think I'll stick it out for awhile before removing capsules since I can't use Amazon in my state... sigh.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your hub topics are probably more conducive to eBay sales than mine. If the cookie thing doesn't do you in, I'd certainly keep them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

You may be doing a good job, Christin.   The new eBay system will work if you can write Hubs which drive a reader to buy the eBay product RIGHT NOW THIS MINUTE - and if they do, then the commission will be higher.

14. Writer Fox profile image30
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8433669_f248.jpg

15. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Is Amazon back for people is "banned" states?

16. paradigmsearch profile image59

I've looked at my lifetime eBay sales. Nothing to write home about. I've deleted two eBay capsules so far. Expecting to do more. Only keeping the big-ticket items, cause you never know...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)