To my fellow forumites with differing beliefs.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Im going to do something that even I find annoying, but it seems like we should be able to say something nice to each other once in a while. So in the spirit of love, I would like to say something honest and true about ppl who may have different view points than I do. I hope that any jokes will be taken that way as I cannot seem to speak without at least a little humor. Please know this is meant with nothing but kindness for each of you and I hope you will take it that way. (In no particular order)

I will start with my nemesis ED. wink
    ED, you make me laugh. I don't know why, I guess it is your tenacity. We could not be more different or have a more opposite set of beliefs, but sometimes I see something playful in you... only a tiny spark maybe, but I always look forward the moments when you are lighthearted. I feel it is human and relate-able. smile

Melissa, I am impressed with your ability to overcome. You have been thru more than many would have been able to stand and you are still on both feet! That, to me, is very impressive. We have had a few unpleasant moments, but I can honestly say I care about you and wish you the very best.

Emile, I seldom see a post by you that I don't want to comment on, but I try and use great restraint. I am just blown away by your sensibilities. You just seem so on the mark most all of the time. I find you to be a very impressive person.

Radman, I really appreciated the moment I first came on the forum and you read one of my hubs and encouraged me as a person... I wasn't your enemy, just a fellow parent and I like to think of you that way the best. A fellow parent.

JM, I like how you keep everyone on their toes. My heart goes out to you as you too have faced a lot of adversity in your life and it hurts me to think that you have suffered at the hand of anyone. I pray your wounds will all one day be healed.

Psycheskinner, to this day, I don't know what your name means, but I like how you post without getting emotional. Im sure that is due to your training and maybe a bit of your own nature, but you're a "just the facts" kind of person and those ppl always add a lot to the conversation.

Anyway, Im worried Ive left someone out... there are other "oppositional" posters, but they don't post quite as often so I s'pose I will leave off there. I wish you all a joyful season, I will be celebrating the birth of Christ, I hope that you will have reason for sweet celebration as well.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Then, let me also say something honest and true. We actually have something quite different than an opposite set of beliefs.

I tend to find reality behaves very much in agreement with how science, logic and reason describe it while you view some other version of reality based on ancient myths and magical thinking. Most of those differences can be attributed to a wide degree of knowledge and understanding of how reality works.

Therefore, it's not a matter at all of opposing beliefs, because we have such a wide degree of knowledge and understanding about the world around us, we have no level playing field on which to base a comparison. It's apples and oranges, Reality and fantasy.

Perhaps, if we were routing for a baseball team, we would then be operating on a level playing field and could then acknowledge opposing beliefs about the teams we support.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would have been surprised to have received a post any different than that.
        Merry Christmas sir. smile

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for including me an saying something nice about me. It's important to keep in mind that we are here for the discussion and nothing is meant to be personal. The fact that I'm always right and you are always wrong is irrelevant. Wink. I have no doubt that you are a wonderful person.

Merry Christmas.

1. profile image0

Aw, how very kind that was. Thanks Radman.

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have not visited one of your forums, Beth37. Nevertheless, I just wanted to mention that you have written a most lovely post to your fellow "forumites." 
      I wish you the happiest of holidays, dear lady.

1. profile image0

There are basically two forums here... one is strictly HPs discussion and the other is topical stuff. Religion and Philosophy is a big part of the topical side so chances are you might have seen a few threads where we believers and atheists go round and round discussing our beliefs.

Sometimes we do well and sometimes not so well, but we all are parents or men and women, or professionals or writers... whatever, we're all human. I think we forget sometimes that we are more alike than not. It's good, I think, for us all to remember each other every once and a while as ppl and not adversaries. I just wanted them to know, I know they're ppl with hurts and failures and successes just like me. Hopefully we can all agree on that. Thank you for your kind words! And happy holidays to you too. smile

1. profile image0
          savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we are all just imperfect "folks." Thus, I can only hope some others will respond to your graciousness in kind, but if they do not, it says nothing about you (as you well know.). You, at least, have done your part to "lift up" and show generosity of spirit, as I've no doubt you always try to do. And at any rate, I am sure you do not give in the spirit of getting. (That was just my own personal wish for you and those you've written to). Anyhow, thanks for a fine example of "doing unto others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:31)
          BTW, I agree that Rad Man's response was sweet & Double Scorpion's was thoughtful.

4. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Beth. That was nice. We don't agree on much but you seem to have a good heart and, in the final analysis, that is worth more than any philosophy or religion.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 10 years ago

There is only one or two people on here that actually frustrate me...Mostly due to the fact that they don't discuss, but rather spew...

In a perfect world, we would all be able to voice our beliefs, thoughts, ideas or opinions without the "fighting". Debates and/or discussion are beneficial, "fighting" does nothing.

Very nice post. It adds some lightheartedness, to the Chaos that is the Religion and Philosophy Forums...smile

1. profile image0

I forgot DS, Im sorry. I like that I never can remember which side of the tracks you stand on, and right when I think I've remembered, you seem to switch it up on me. lol
      I also like that you are not just a "guns a blazing" kind of guy. I think that always adds credence to whatever the speaker's saying. Merry Christmas. smile

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile I am not on either side of the tracks...I stand smack dab in the middle of them...

I enjoy good conversation (agree or not)...And I like to learn...

1. profile image0

I like to learn too.
          Watch out for the train.

Well I guess I should say that me being on the tracks only applies to discussions...My personal beliefs I leave at home...Unless directly asked for...I tend to speak on topics solely based from a scholarly standpoint only...things taught in schools or discovered through my own studies of an area...And when it comes to religion and philosophy there is no set "facts" per se, expecially when speaking of God or beliefs...There are facts concerning the texts themselves (who wrote, when wrote, things of that nature), but the beliefs associated to those writings...that is up to the person...

1. profile image0

And I believe there are facts indeed, no matter the topic. Whether any of us know them completely or not, stands to be seen.

smile and that is why I wrote "Facts" instead of Facts...

In this case...the word facts is being used to describe tangible evidence that can been seen and interpreted the same for every person...for which belief is not required...(belief doesn't require facts just a very strong suspicion of truth)

1. profile image0

Facts themselves are a funny thing.  Like God, they remain what they are no matter how they are interpreted or misinterpreted.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Where's my entry? >:U

1. profile image0

You sir are a "guns a blazing" type for sure, but at least 3 out of 10 of your posts make me laugh, squirm a bit, then laugh again. Then I post something like "shame on you" then try to forget whatever you just said. lol

4. profile image0

Thanks Savvydating. That was very generous of you.

Emile, I appreciate your response. You contribute so much.

1. profile image0

Haha. I only contribute when ATM/ED or radman isn't getting me banned.  I'm getting bored with bothering to post anymore.

1. profile image0

You keep things in check.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I hate it when Rad travels all the way from Canada to break in my house and post personal attacks against himself using my computer.

1. profile image0

oops, we took a left turn.

1. profile image0

No left turn. Some people are always headed in that direction.

2. profile image0

Oh, you saw that? I'd stop but you keep leaving cookies and milk out.

3. profile image0

What the…

Happy Holidays Emile.

1. profile image0

I'd say you too radman, but some will perceive that as a personal attack. I shall leave it at MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

1. profile image0

Okay then, Merry Christmas.

1. profile image0

Hey. If i personally attacked you i apologize. Whatever was said, insult wasn't the intent.  I thought it was the student of history comment. They didn't say why, so i was left to wonder. I guess it's become obvious who pointed it out.  But, doesn't matter. Accept my apologies for whatever. smile

1. profile image0

Sorry, wasn't me. I have no idea what posts or forums you are talking about. We do get into it from time to time, but I thought that was part of the fun. Let me make this very clear, these discussions are very fun or me, I mean no harm to anyone and wish you all long painless, happy lives. It's just that I'm right and your wrong.

1. profile image0

You probably say that to the mirror every night.
                  You give it the Donald while you're at it. "You're fired!"

1. profile image0

Just to set the record straight and to be clear. I've only ever hit the report button once and that was when someone was making clearly racial remarks. I didn't even his the button a while back when someone was saying my dyslexia was simply laziness. This forum was intended to show some kindness to each other and I'd like to stick to that. Why would I hit the report button on either of you two, I'd be left with no material.

2. profile image0

I think you got confused again. You meant to say I'm right (that being me,.not you) and you're wrong (that being you, not me).

4. EncephaloiDead profile image54
        EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have not ever reported you. I don't have such a thin skin as others here might have.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
          Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The only people I report are spammers and scammers.

Because they rhyme.

1. profile image0

Hammer time.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
              Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can't touch this.

1. profile image0

Wasn't gonna.

2. profile image0

I had my suspicions, but it doesn't really matter. If i did something ban worthy I'd be foolish to be upset that i get banned. smile

1. profile image0

See? That's exactly the kind of sensibility I'm talking about. Most of what you say just makes sense to me. I hope that doesn't make you cringe. lol

5. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 10 years ago

If I kick you hard in the shins, will I get an honorable mention here as well? I'm a glutton for fame and glory.

1. profile image0

Dear Shanna, I have nothing good at all to say about you, not even about your love for small winged vermin, b/c you have a perfect hubber score which can only mean that you either have to drop it quickly or risk being loathed by everyone under a 99.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

He was such a cute little winged critter, though. I just can't not help hurt animals. Or animals in general. I'd make a fabulous (but single and somewhat crazy) Disney Princess what with all of my animal connections. I spend more time with this giant tortoise that I work with than with people.

And also, I am the most undeserving of a perfect Hubber score. Does Hubpages even know what I do here? I don't publish squat. I just occasionally pop up in the forums and stir the pot a little bit.

1. profile image0

haha... a disney princess... I love that. I wish I was Mark Ewbie, I would draw a new disney princess sitting on the back of a giant flying tortoise. Good times.

6. profile image0

Oh good... so anyhoo. It is really cold outside. Course it's December so.... that's all I got.

1. profile image0

Not cold here. I'm afraid there will be no white Christmas for us.

1. profile image0

Id ask where you were, but that may be an invasion of privacy... or privacy as the Brits say... course that sounded different in my head.

1. profile image0

Not an invasion of privacy, but I like to function incognito here. If my identity were known by any locals my opinions on the subject of religion wouldn't sit well. Be bad for business. People take Bible thumping seriously in these parts.

1. profile image0

Utah? No! Don't tell me... I will leave you a mystery. smile

2. profile image0

I hear you sister.

7. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Wonderful diverse group you have called out appreciation for. Life would be ordinary without all of you.   A while ago one of my favorite nay sayers just disappeared, I still miss him.  Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

1. profile image0

and to you. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)