Can science help to bolster faith? Can faith bolster science?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Here is the premise: Science can in a real sense help to "prove" matters of faith. But it cannot disprove matters of faith.
    Oh for sure science can debunk things like tears coming from a statute or even show clearly that the time line of the bible is clearly not to be taken literally. It can date the "dead sea scrolls" and it can show how many "miracles" are not. And to strict constructionist literalists of the Holy Bible this is very disconcerting.
    Well let us leave the folks that are overly sensitive over there outstanding in their fields -- no really over there out there standing in their fields.

So science can disprove these little things that some folks like to lean on to bolster their faith. I suggest that is a good thing. People that run around with little signs to form their faith need a wake up call to see the bigger picture. Faith does not require proof and indeed faith based on proof will soon be disproved if history is any indicator.
    Now perhaps there is someone who knows of some method to disprove my knowledge of God. I have yet to hear of it. That technique would be welcomed to be revealed here.

So here is the forum focus of discussion: Is there really a way for science and faith to debunk each other.
    We are not talking religion here or the bible but strictly faith.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Science doesn't really care to disprove matters of faith, why should it. Science provides us with facts about our universe and helps us understand how things work, so it actually inadvertently may indeed preclude faith based explanations with real truths.

Science debunks faith all the time, but it has yet to be seen that faith can debunk science.

That's like saying pure guesswork will debunk factual truths.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should watch some TV cop shows, the hero always goes on his gut instinct lol.
        What do you make of those "Catholic" peer reviews that use atheist scientists to establish true miracles. Meaning something totally not consistent with factual knowledge, and yet true?
        I have never looked into them deeply but understand they have scientific basis.

Have you not noticed that most, if not all cop shows use the latest scientific techniques for solving crimes?

What is a "Catholic peer review"?

Such as?

Then, maybe you should so you can support your claims, I await your evidence.

That is the cool part of the CSI's, all that razz a ma tazz stuff but it still comes down to her nagging feeling about something something that leads to the discovery of "truth".

So in order to be a Saint - Canonized you must be declared to have been part of two certifiable miracles. So the Archdiocese put together a panel to determine if an action constitutes a miracle. Of course they are commonly medical in nature - curing so to speak. In order to "certify" they must have scientific evidence that there is no scientific evidence that it was not a miracle. I link here to a dude being pushed forward to be canonized - Knights of something founder. But they cannot find a miracle much less two.
            http://articles.courant.com/2013-08-02/ … -sainthood
            What say you of this wild and bizarre marriage of faith and science?

No, it doesn't, it comes down to hard evidence and facts.

There is no marriage, they are on opposite sides of the intellectually explanatory spectrum.

And your basis for that exclamation of truth?

You are hardwired, thinking outside of the box was either before your time or you just ignored it like dinosaur.
                Your rigidity is palpable like and evangelical Christian. Have you no room to accept other thought than your own?
                Are you so hardened that you cannot explore other possibilities than ones you come by, by yourself. You are the scientist that demands that the hypothesis meet your expectations. And so true trial and error is lost on you. Edison wrote that: I did not fail and the lighbulb two thousand times, i simply ruled out two thousand possibilities. You are not scientific for you have predestined notions. You are not open to possibilities your are frigid and rigid. You stopped growing and are a lab rat.

Facts.

The term, "thinking outside of the box" is meaningless.

Thoughts or beliefs? The point is that one can contemplate thoughts and beliefs without having to accept them. That would then bring in the concepts of logic and reason.

You mean like the "possibilities" that you claim you have more senses than the rest of us?

And, the expectations are evidence and facts, not made up childish nonsense.

Are you inventing a light bulb or are you trying to tell us you are special over and above the rest of us?

Would your version of :"scientific and open to possibilities" include making claims of knowing God and having more senses than the rest of us?

Seriously.

It just is so my friend. I know God and you cannot because of some genetic intricacy.  I do not declare "better than thou art just that you do not have the ability to see beyond the common senses. I have no qualms with you. YOU are just stuck in an empirical world.
                    I would like it if I could introduce you to our world of faith and spirit but it is beyond your comprehension. your world of BC is ez.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

Encephaloid dude it turns out out you have no background in science, you are neither doctor nor lab scientist. You speak with authority yet you have none. What exactly is your scientific background? I at least hold a Bachelor in Sciences. I do not think you educated at all in such matters.

2. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you are understanding how the Catholic Church declares an event a miracle. They don't look to atheists for help in the determination as you claimed.

False

1. profile image0

Show or point me to the atheists who determine what are miracles for the Catholic Church. Kateri Tekakwitha was recently sainted because a boy with flesh eating decease survived. He was heavily medicated with the best antibiotic and the best care available and lost much of his face, but someone decided that because someone prayed for the recovery of the boy it was a miracle.

Look it up yourself you self proclaimed scientist without degree or pedigree in the field.. Rad Man you speak eloquently but in fact you are not a scientist and hold not even a BS so you speak of science but have no knowledge of it.
                    Your words of science are deaf for you are not in anyway a scientist. Slow down and back off.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

You are wrong and speak without foundation.

1. profile image0

I'm still waiting for the list of Atheists the RCC calls on to verify miracles? I suspect I'll be waiting a while.

2. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

To some degree you answered your own question; depending on what your faith is, science sometimes debunks it.  If your faith says the statue is crying, for instance.

Science can also bolster faith.  If your faith is that the universe was created 15 billion years ago, it can bolster that.  But that is assuming that faith can be "improved" by knowledge, facts and truth.  If, as you say, none of those are a part of faith then science can do nothing.

As far as disproving your "knowledge" of God - no, science can do nothing for you there as you have no knowledge of God.  Only faith, belief, opinion, subjective feelings and other similar thought processes.  Knowledge requires far more than that and is the field of science.

That does NOT mean that faith is inferior to knowledge; it means it is different.  Faith has a very definite place in our lives, even faith in an invisible god, if it produces the feelings you want in your life.    Faith can most definitely produce feelings and emotions that all the knowledge in the world cannot, and in that manner can be quite beneficial.

Awesome bro. That is why I love you man. And that makes me ask a question. Do you think love is just chemical reactions?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you consider chemical reactions to include electron travel through neurons, then yes of course. What else could it be, emanating from the brain as it does?

3. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Today's WSJ 1/11/14 there is a book review on a book rev "Maimonides" by Moshe Halbertal. " Maimonides' vision of a God who reveals himself through nature vaulted all religion into modernity."  In other words The heavens declare the glory of God.
    I think without everything we are bound to miss something.

4. TwerkZerker profile image76
    TwerkZerkerposted 10 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, faith and science shouldn't be at odds because the two are two completely different things which answer very different questions.

When boiled down to the utmost simplicity, science answers "
    How?" and faith answers "Why?". For example, If I were to ask "Why is there green?", a scientist could tell me "Because the combining of blue light and yellow light produces green light", but this doesn't answer the question, does it? WHY is there green? Science can't tell us without large-scale, untestable guesswork. Even Richard Dawkins agrees to the fact that science and faith answer two fundamentally different questions.

There are also inherent limitations to science that prevent it from "disproving" or "proving" God as people say. Don't get me wrong--science can support faith or evidence it, but "evidence" isn't the same as "proof". I can evidence God's existence with the unfathomable complexity of the natural world and the sheer impossibility that such a magnificent creation could ever come into being by chance. This makes perfect sense to me, yet it isn't proof. I can't quantify, test, repeat, or write a mathematical proof for God. But by the same token, not being able to quantify, test, repeat, or write a proof for something hardly means it can't exist. The ancient Greeks had no way of proving quantum-level physics existed, but that doesn't mean it didn't back then (and still today).

Science, by definition, only concerns itself with the observation and analysis of interactions of matter and energy in the natural universe. The physical matter-energy universe itself is the limit of science. Now, God, by nature of being...well...God, transcends this universe. He isn't bound by time or the laws of this universe as we are--because He created them and therefore had to exist before any of them were in place!

Using our limited scientific knowledge of this universe (and only this universe) to prove or disprove the God whose very existence requires him to transcend the universe is like going to a gallery, staring at a painting, and using your analysis of the brush strokes therein to produce a historically accurate biography of the painter. It just can't be done!

At most, science can only play an indirect role of providing supporting evidence, but this evidence (whether for or against) is not proof. Whether a person believes or disbelieves in God, it is just that: a position of faith.

Apologies for the lengthiness! Many thanks to anyone patient enough to read all this!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)