With all the evidence for the theory of evolution, why do some people still beli

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Gaizy profile image72
    Gaizyposted 12 years ago

With all the evidence for the theory of evolution, why do some people still believe otherwise.

Once you have got your head around the theory of evolution, it's pretty obvious that it's close to how it must work. After all, animal breeders do the same thing when they selectively breed their stock. Scientists can now trace the evolution of animals through their genes ( what are they tracing if evolution does not exist)? Some scientists believe that they can back-engineer a dinosaur from a  chicken simply by removing genes acquired by it's evolution. So why do people some continue to believe that "Someone" must have made us by magic? ( n.b. quoting from Holy books is not an explanation)

2. ronhi profile image66
    ronhiposted 12 years ago

Its unfortunate that you think quoting from holy-books is not an explanation... In my opinion, that's the only place to get real answers...but don't worry because i wont quote them on your question...
    The  theory of evolution is not entirely false...but again, it has many lies. there is no way you can convince me that  you (or more precisely your great great great ancestors) were once apes. That's where i have a problem with evolution.  Natural selection? Very true. Survival for the fittest? Very true. Evolution of species to mean changing in form over time e.g from ape to man? NOT TRUE!

Intelligent design can not be explained by evolution. Only "Holy books" can explain that.

3. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 12 years ago

I suppose it's because that's what they believe. Faith is a difficult thing to explain. I know some people that have a very strong faith and hence so are their believes in a creator. We can't all fit in the one box; it would make life dull and boring. I keep an open mind on all things, but I would never condemn another's believes or ideas because they don't match mine.
    As for the scientists they will always seek out the unknown; investigate the origins and put a name on it,  because facts and figures are safe to them; to believe in a higher being that has no founding no abode; that's not safe; therefore it cannot be.

4. Dallas Matier profile image85
    Dallas Matierposted 12 years ago

Because the two are actually quite compatible with each other if you want them to be - meaning that anyone who has faith in God, or some other form of divine creation, can adapt scientific principles into their beliefs. And, any scientist can still believe that God, or some other form of divine creation, exists a few steps beyond whatever they currently understand about science. Einstein believed in God, afterall - even though his own view of God was of a much more impersonal and distant figure than you usually get.

As much as all the athiests of the world may want it to, science is never going to kill off the concept of faith.

5. Ania L profile image82
    Ania Lposted 12 years ago

I guess it's a theory like many others and it does work to certain extent.
    In the same way as classical physics laws work in everyday situations however when we start looking closer, on a smaller quantum scale they are not useful anymore.
    It's a theory so there is no need to believe in it or not, it simply explains certain effects we observe in nature.
    As it doesn't explain everything fully there is a space for more theories. Frankly, science is not able to explain everything just yet so we can as well call it magic smile

6. mobias profile image70
    mobiasposted 12 years ago

Wow there is a lot of religious/christian hubbers commenting here!
    I'll try another viewpoint:
    Ania L says:” it’s a theory so there is no need to believe in it or not, it simply explains certain effects we observe in nature."
    Well, if we replace the word theory, with faith, the same exact sentence could be used to argue against religion couldn't it?
    Rickrideshorses- "you say science cannot be proven"...with current beliefs nor can intelligent design, OR religion.
    ronhi- "you say all answers are in the book" Really? Believing everything about life can be explained by a collection of symbolic stories from a few fellows’ hundreds of years ago? "Survival for the fittest? Very true. Evolution of species to mean changing in form over time NOT TRUE!"   -Exactly how can something in nature survive, WITHOUT changing in some way! This is the very definition of Surviving! -To adapt, CHANGE, Mutate to a more successful result! You can see this with your own eyes in the rivers of the Congo! You cannot believe in both concepts, that doesn't make sense! What you are saying is: in the beginning, there were all the animals, bugs, plants, trees, humans, and fish in the entire world created, by the wave of a hand...and we just...survived somehow, completely intact...without altering anything about our physical forms...all this time, until today??  I’ve heard many religious people get stuck on that line of ‘we were apes’. What exactly is it about that idea that bothers you all so much?? Is it simply an ego/pride thing? This is all observable, readable, natural and physical fact! DNA is not magical beliefs in books. It being a matter of 'Safe' is irrelevant.

7. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Yes, some people don't believe in evolution. It has to do with ego and a lack of understanding.

The evidence for evolution of species is pretty compelling. I tend to believe that evidence and the conclusions that can be drawn from it.

Could humans have been created by "magic?" If you're talking about the same "magic" that resulted in this physical reality, then why not? But hey, neither one of us were there, right? It's also possible God used alien friends to genetically engineer Homo sapiens from existing species stock. Like I say, we just don't know.

Scientists are pretty clever. I've had a measure of cleverness myself, but in all humility, we just don't know everything.

I've seen some of that so-called "magic." It's powerful stuff and for all the cleverness of science, it cannot explain something that is outside the realm of continuity (physical reality). That would be like asking a farmer to explain a nuclear reactor; or asking a nuclear scientist to explain animal husbandry.

Some believers are pretty arrogant. They think their interpretation of the Bible is equal to that of God. Some skeptics are pretty arrogant, too, saying that "quoting from Holy books is not an explanation." Certainly, some hold that "opinion."

Skepticism is not quite the right tool for scientists. In fact, for anyone searching for answers, humility and restraint are far better tools. Scientific method warns against bias, but skepticism has a built-in bias -- one of doubt. Some scientists take it even further into unsupported dismissiveness or self-indulgent ridicule which have left objectiveness far behind and wallowed in subjectiveness.

Too many skeptics (believers and non-believers) have a hard time aiming that skepticism at their own beliefs. But like I said humility and restraint are better tools for both sides.

8. Gaizy profile image72
    Gaizyposted 12 years ago

As far as I understand it, evolution does not say we descended from apes, it just says that we have a common ancestor - a statement proved by the fact that 99% of our DNA is shared with chimpanzees. I was not trying to arrogant when I said that quoting from holy books is not an answer, merely truthful. Ancient egyptian holy books (not that much older than the bible) state that the god Atum masturbated the universe into existence! - You may chose to believe that, and it may be the last word in truth to his followers, but it doesn't help the rest of us very much.

9. 6hotfingers3 profile image60
    6hotfingers3posted 12 years ago

I believe its because they have not been able to disprove the creation theory. Everytime someone thinks they can go public proving creation to be false, an even greater phenomenon occurs in favor of the creation. The creation was not done by magic but by the deliberate Will of an entity greater than we can begin to wrap our heads around. I'll stick with the creation theory.

10. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I think that has to do with some people being of a scientific nature and other people are of a spiritual nature.

At the end of the day, yes science and the theory of evolution has shown us how the nuts and bolts of the universe may have come about - even this is still being argued about. But it doesn't explain all things such as creativity, emotions, dreams, the sub-conscious and so on. In addition, depending on your beliefs of course, it doesn't explain the spiritual element of life. For me , and I don't follow any mainstream religion, science explains the physical world but the spiritual world follows it's own rules.

11. Time Spiral profile image80
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

Because they're indoctrinated as a child, when they cannot know any better.

It's your responsibility, as a person of faith, to integrate the reality of life into your beliefs about spirituality.

If you fight off things like science, to provide security for your faiths, then you're doing it wrong.

12. justateacher profile image85
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

People continue to believe that "Someone" created us because with all the scientific proof that evolution exists, there is also scientific proof that many things in the Holy books exist, as well. People choose to believe what they wish to believe and what makes them feel most comfortable and most alive. Those who choose to believe in evolution are comfortable with facts, people who choose to believe in creationism believe in faith. I am not saying that each is exclusive to itself, either. For example, I believe in evolution to a point - after all - their is scientific proof. But my faith tells me that this whole universe started somewhere, sometime, before there was a science to prove...

and just something to ponder....once science told us the earth was flat....

13. lostdogrwd profile image61
    lostdogrwdposted 12 years ago

if there ANY FACTUAL EVIDENCE, then why is it still call the theory of evolution. nothing wrong with you believing in something that made up. the number one problem in the ( to me this dumb ) theory is where the matter came from for man KNOW that matter can't bet made, only change from one from to another.

14. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Not everyone believes that Genesis is talking about the creation of something seen with the natural eye. The bible is a spiritual book and totally out of this world so the argument does not exist for certain people who believe science and also have a spiritual side to their lives. Both particular scientists and fundamentalist are arguing about something that people who wrote the bible never really argued about. This means that both these fundamentalists and some particular scientists are blinkered in the area of spirituality. They want to prove they are cleverer than others and know more facts. Whether it is biblical or scientific knowledge it is the same disease. They don't want to discuss the "purpose" of the bible and the need to care about one's fellow man.

How can you become a better person by having evidence for or against evolution? It does not affect the way you treat others.
    The Book of Genesis says "In the beginning God created" .. and Genesis is from Moses. Jesus taught people what the meaning of Moses is by saying "Do for others what you want them to do for you - This is the meaning/interpretation of the Law of Moses and the teachings of the Prophets" (Sermon on the Mount Mt 5-7)
    So, if your interpretation of Genesis does not make you love other people and want to do good for your fellow man then you have misinterpreted the whole message. Both the scientist and christian fail the test because they waste people's time trying to show off their intellectualism or education and do absolutely NOTHING for others with the arguments that never end.

15. lorenmurcia profile image85
    lorenmurciaposted 12 years ago

It all depends on your faith. I, for one, strongly believe that Someone up there made us all. So whatever theories of how we came to be will not easily get my belief. After all, they are only theories.

16. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

The theory of evolution, notably natural selection, is one of the most misunderstood theories out there.  The general public assumes, or are led to assume, that animals "choose" their own characteristics. 

Unfortunately religious states in the US (in the South) don't even allow teachers to cover evolution in school.  I had to learn about it through books on my own time when I lived in Oklahoma. 

I blame both blind religion and scientists who can't seem to dumb it down for the populace.  It's a shame.

17. juiwei2000 profile image58
    juiwei2000posted 12 years ago

Firstky, because although there are much evidence to support it, it is still a theory we can not prove it, the same way we can prove gravity exisst. 

Secondly, sometime when a person believe in something badly enough(E.g. creationlism), they would refuse to believe otherwise and refuse to see reason

18. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 12 years ago

“If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance with his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.”-Bertrand Russel

The only problem is that most professional evolutionists (professors and researchers) will not debate religious people simply because it is not worth their time. The idea of evolution through natural selection is so fundamental to them, that it is a waste of time to argue someone who refuses to accept it. The only reason people believe in religious texts is because they are old and have been around forever. If you tried to introduce the New Testament today, most people would think it was a bunch of B.S.

I vote for robot gremlins commanded by giant masturbating sun gods....and magic. It's more believable than most Biblical tales anyway.

19. He Who Triumphs profile image60
    He Who Triumphsposted 12 years ago

Because it's just that:  a theory.  Many scientists are now turning against evolution and finding proof for creation.  Even Darwin himself actually renounced his discoveries and turned to Christianity on his deathbed.  However much "evidence" there is for evolution, there is more evidence against it, such as the odds of it actually happening were 1 in 10 to the power of 100.  There also lies the fact that the many scientists that believe in intelligent design have done so because of science actually proving it with accordance of the global flooding spoken of in the Bible.  Not to mention that certain human qualities like love and ethics are things evolution wouldn't have given us.

1. profile image51
      orientcalfposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you believe random fairy stories from the bible you may as well believe made-up 'facts' about Darwin too. Ethics and love can be explained through natural selection in sociological terms, but I doubt you would be capable of that depth of understan

20. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

Darwin, himself, said that the theory was not valid before he died.  I think people tend to believe evolution because they are taught this theory as truth throughout their entire education and if they believe otherwise they can't be "scientific."  There are actually many scientist out there who are not faith-based but just based on the science, alone, say that the Theory of Evolution does not have compelling evidence.  If you search different scientific theories that are out there, you may be surprised at how many other scientific and logical alternative there are to this theory.  Oh..and one more thing.  This does not mean that some of the parts of the theory are untrue--like natural selection is something that makes sense, but that is not the entire theory.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)