Why is this hub not featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image61
    ronbarakposted 10 years ago

I created a hub that seems quite media rich and not uninteresting.

Under the https://www.diigo.com/item/p/oooepprzcaacdarbrzbcsaoboc buttons I don't see any warnings, but still the hub is not featured (it's icon is https://www.diigo.com/item/p/oooepprzcaacdadpdzbcsaobba).

Can you suggest what is wrong with this hub that prevents it from being featured?

1. kittythedreamer profile image76
      kittythedreamerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not totally sure, but it looks like perhaps you could add some more text to it? Maybe break the content up into sections to make it easier for the reader to locate specific data within the hub. Just some thoughts.

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can tell you right off bat that your capsules organization is quite unappealing. There are some short text in individual capsules, these leave empty spaces with the photos aligned right. Either add more text to capsules, set photo to full view or create a gallery where all the photos are in the same capsule and you set them to thumbnail. As is, the hub just looks messy.

3. Thallia profile image48
      Thalliaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It didn't pass the QAP (Quality  Assessment Process) -
      Substance,
      Organization,
      Grammar/Mechanics

Check Hubpage's Learning Center for specific details.

Yes, the organization of your hub needs improvement but there are problems in all three areas.  Correcting the formatting will help but may not be enough for passing the QAP.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Hub doesn't present well because it has big white spaces, and you've chosen to feature some fairly bland pictures full-size for no apparent reason. 

Instead of bolding the word when you mention a therapy, it would be better if you used proper sub-headings.  Put each remedy in its own capsule - that will also help you get rid of the white spaces.

By the way, do you have the permission of Ladies Home Journal, Girls Love Style, Linguina etc to use their photos?  Are you sure all those Wikimedia Commons photos don't need any kind of attribution link?  The rule is that ALL photos on the internet are copyright (and therefore illegal to use) unless there's a statement next to them stating otherwise. Usually, if a photo is legal to use, you'll be required to mention the photographer and link to their website when you use the photo.

2. profile image0
    Amit197508posted 10 years ago

You need to post relevant image based on content and organize your content into several capsules.

3. profile image61

Thanks kittythedreamer, Cardisa, and Amit: I'll try your suggestions and see if HubPages looks more favourably at the hub.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It's a bit of a jagged reading experience.  I would suggest adopting a more conversational style to make the read smoother, and grouping similar treatments together under sub-headings (e.g. eaten, applied to skin, etc) to give more structure.

5. Tolovaj profile image89
    Tolovajposted 10 years ago

I would add some text and organize it differently:

-text
    -graphics
    -text
    -video
    -text
    -graphics
    -text
    -poll
    -text

It looks like some additional, but not too much work and you'll have good hub. Good luck!

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I just noticed that...

Unfeatured hubs still show up in HP search.

Seemed like a good thread title to post that tidbit under in case someone asks...

Are unfeatured hubs included and shown in the hubpages search box / function?

The answer is yes.

7. Fryday profile image85
    Frydayposted 10 years ago

It's the low word count.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A large proportion of my hubs are a similar length, and %100 featured.  It has to be that length is causing it to not meet a quality guideline in some way, not just length alone.

8. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

The overemphasis of keywords by bolding is a problem.

Conceivably, whatever rater gets it could deduct in substance (overemphasis on keywords) organization (it's not very attractive) and grammar/mechanics (there is no grammatical/mechanical reason to have those words bolded).

There are white space issues and grammar issues as well.

9. Fryday profile image85
    Frydayposted 10 years ago

I have a whole article posted in bold font, and it is a featured hub.  You need at least 700 words, 3 pictures, a poll and a map (or two of either one),  and that is it.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The raters don't count words nor pictures, nor maps nor polls.

This is the grading scale. http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

That is what is used to rate hubs. As you can see, word count isn't mentioned. Polls and maps aren't mentioned until you get to grade 10. This hub wasn't affected by that. Visually poor, however, kicks in at 2 as does unnecessary emphasis on keywords.

1. profile image61
        ronbarakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the URL Melissa.

2. Tolovaj profile image89
        Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This table is very helpful, MelissaBarrett. Thank you!

10. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 10 years ago

Your first suggestion of using Chinese massage is acupressure, not, as you wrote, acupuncture, which uses needles. This gives a poor introduction unfortunately...if that detail is wrong, it doesn't give confidence for the rest of the hub.

You have some good suggestions for headache relief, but don't back them all up with reasoning. Why would rubbing half a lime on your head help? How does the ginger drink work? Some more detail would help.

1. profile image61

Point taken, innerspin: changed acupuncture to acupuncture-like.

As for the issue you raise in the second paragraph:
      some (most?) of the methods I enumerate are traditional remedies (what we call in Hebrew Granny-medicines תרופות סבתא) and I'm quite sure there isn't much scientific research to back them up (at least Google Scholar didn't find any: I looked). They just seem to work.
      This is why I tried to give a variety, so each reader could try several methods in the hope that at least some would work for him (her).

1. Everyday Miracles profile image84
        Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why not change it to acupressure, which is the correct term for what you're describing here? Acupressure and Acupuncture are two different things, and putting this right in the beginning of your hub turns away serious readers who know the terminology.

Hub hoppers notice these types of things. Trust me, I do a fair bit of hub-hopping myself.

In the long run, if you're here to make money on Hubpages, this hub has a long way to go before it will do you much good. You want to keep your readers on the page (and this hub doesn't make me want to stay at all) and provide them with rich content that will make them want to click on the ads on the page. Right now there's nothing keeping me here.

I'd recommend, among other things, taking the time to read your own article back as though you were looking at it from a visitor's point of view. Bold phrases, not just keywords, and do it as natural emphasis. Right now the hub does flow well at all.

Take a look around Hubpages. My account is not a good example at the moment because most of my content on this account is older and from before I really knew what I was doing, but there are some amazing hubs out there that should help you to figure out formatting.

11. cecileportilla profile image71
    cecileportillaposted 10 years ago

Innerspin covered the points about going into detail regarding the lemon and the Ginger. As a female reader,  I need to know how does removing my bra helps to relieve my headache. I was left guessing.  This could easily become a featured hub if you give more explanations.

12. JessBraz profile image92
    JessBrazposted 10 years ago

All of the reasons posted here are pretty accurate. You do have the basis for what could be a wonderful hub, maybe just rigging the formatting a bit differently will make a difference. Those awkward white spaces in between some of your text blocks interrupts the flow both visually and it makes it kind of hard to follow when you're reading.

I found some of your points rather interesting, certainly suggestions I have never heard before. Like rubbing a lime on your fore head and taking off your bra, for example. I have never heard that either one of those might help cure a headache.

I am with cecileportilla on this one... How exactly does taking off my bra help with a headache? You have it placed pretty close to the top in your hub, with absolutely no explanation. Using that as a lead in sentence, will definitely get somebody's attention and entice them to read further but without any information to back it up, it kind of felt like you slipped something creepy in there to see if anyone would notice. It made me as a reader feel kind of weird.

This could be a really great hub. If you take into account the suggestions everyone has posted and perhaps add just a bit more meat to it (like providing a little more explanations) it could be a very valuable hub. smile
    Be sure to let us know when you've updated it! I'd love to be able to see it again after you've shined it up a bit. smile

1. profile image61

The bra suggestion is near the top since I arranged the suggestions alphabetically (so as not to make judgements which is more effective/important).

Seems this method works as removing one's bra relieve unnecessary stress/tension that may be caused by a wrong sized/shaped bra.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

...and that's what you should be explaining in the Hub!

13. profile image61

@innerspin, @cecileportilla, @JessBraz
    Based on your remarks, I did some more searching and added sources in support of some of the advices.
    (I was not aware that sources were that important on hubpages: I'm still learning)

1. innerspin profile image86
      innerspinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's hope your hub will soon be featured smile

1. profile image61

Indeed, its icon is now https://www.diigo.com/item/p/oooepprzcaaessaorzbcscbrds

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Sources aren't really that important on HubPages.  In fact they can be counter-productive if you overdo them, because you end up with a lot of annoying blue links in your text, which is distracting for the reader. 

If you do include sources to back up your statements, then it's best to keep them tidy by putting them at the bottom of the Hub (in a "Further Reading" or "Sources" section).  You'll get a warning in the top right-hand corner of your Hub about having too many links in one place, but don't let it worry you - since you're using them correctly, you won't get into trouble. 

Melissa knows the rating system well, so her advice is the most useful.  She says "poor layout" is your main problem, and bolding the keywords instead of using headings.   I agree with her.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)