Message about too many product capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. SusanSaies profile image61
    SusanSaiesposted 10 years ago

In edit mode for my Non-Surgical Bunion Treatment hub, I keep getting a message saying I have a large number of amazon products and that each one should be relevant to the adjacent text.

I've gotten this message for a long time, even though I've edited the hub several times, and took away a couple of Amazon capsules.  For a few weeks now, there have been only 4 products, but I still get this message.

The hub is over 1300 words long. The main product has over 300 words of text, another one has over 200 words, and the other two have well over 100 words each. Each product is relevant to the topic of the hub.

Why do I still get this message? Is it just a glitch?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That message usually appears when products are listed one right after the other, although I've seen many Editor's Choice Hubs that have Amazon products displayed that way.

On your Hub, however, you have them spaced correctly and adjacent to individual text capsules, so I don't know why you are still getting the message. 

You might send an email to the team and ask:
      http://hubpages.com/email/help/alert/qapnopass

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a style tip not a warning.  Style tips aren't mandatory, they're just tips. If you feel the best place for the capsules is close together due to the nature of the text, you can ignore it.

You will often need to have multiple capsules close together, for instance if you're comparing several products side by side.  There's no rule against it. 

The rule is definitely one capsule per 50 words - but it says NOTHING about where the capsules should be.  So for instance if you have 500 words and 10 capsules, those 10 capsules could be at the beginning, at the end, in the middle or right-floated all the way down the side.  They would all be "legal".   They wouldn't all make sales, but that's a different subject.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Although style tips are not mandatory, I wonder if it's a mild way of saying, "if you want to increase your chances of your hub being rated as 'stellar,' follow these guidelines." You think?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image90
          Jayne Lancerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think it's a style tip. It appears either above or below the text, 'Need Some Goals'. I've just had a look to see if I could find the tip or 'message' on one of my pathetic, unrevised old hubs in order to quote exactly what it says, but I seem to have got rid of it on all hubs.

2. brakel2 profile image72
          brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think all the style tips have to do with a stellar hub but are not mandatory. I have been trying to follow some of them to get a better score. Does anyone know what an 8 in QAP would equal in a score? I know  the score may be later lowered based on low traffic. Right?

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yes, but they are very general and don't apply in every circumstance.  So for instance, I like to put a "Further Reading" capsule at the end of my Hub rather than citing in my text.  That will give me a warning about too many links listed together - but I just ignore it. 

Similarly, I would usually agree with not having too many Amazon capsules lumped together - but if I want to compare several products side by side, it wouldn't make sense to do otherwise.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Does the message start with, "Uh oh, it looks like you have too many Amazon or eBay capsules . . ." I just got through rearranging capsules in my hub for the same until it went away. If the ad capsules are too close in proximity (more than 3), the irritating message will not go away. You have to put enough images and text between them to make sure no more than 3 are "touching."

3. SusanSaies profile image61

Yes, JanShares, it's that "uh oh" message. I'll try to add something in between a couple of capsules and see it that pesky message goes away.
    Thanks for your advice.

Thanks also to you, Writer Fox for that link to support.

Is this message appearing on old hubs? I've been away from HubPages for a long while, but when I came back and started revising some of my old hubs, I also noticed that message. So, I opened the capsule, and where it says 'Maximum number of items to display', I changed the number from 4 to 1. The message then went away. There was only ever one item displayed in the capsule, anyway.

I see the Amazon capsules are different on my new hubs, and don't ask how many items to display.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Yes, Jayne Lancer. I recall confusion about that last year when the rules changed saying we could only have one or two ad capsules in the hub. Many hubbers, including myself, were scrambling to delete ad capsules from their hubs. It had something to do with HP trying to reduce the number of links on the site to get back into Google's good graces.
    But sometime after that, it somehow changed to "we can have as many ad capsules as we want?!" I think the misunderstanding has to do with other factors like length of hub and # of ads, as well as ad placement. I ended up putting back several ad capsules that I had deleted and it was fine. I hope someone else will chime in on this for clarification if I'm wrong.

Yes. I remember something about being allowed to display only one Amazon item per 50 words.

That was never, ever the case.  I think what happened is that one or two people misread the rule and caused a panic.

When the rule changed, it was to say you could have only two Amazon PRODUCTS per capsule (at the time, you could have 3 or 4).  A lot of people misread it as you can see from this thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114701

That's it! Thanks for the memory jog, Marisa about having several within one capsule. That's probably what I was deleting.

5. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

The rule is still one Amazon or eBay product to 50 words of content. I have a Hub with 46 products and that Hub has over 4,000 words.

Thank you. smile

2. Jayne Lancer profile image90

That sounds like quite a hub!

I'm pretty sure I changed my hubs back then accordingly, but thanks for letting me know that it still applies.

6. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Doesn't it still have to do with using the URL  Writer Fox?  I went to a hub where capsules were removed and layout all out of kilter. It was such a mess, I unpublished it. Also, I found one hub where list price was higher than Amazon price. I need to visit the Learning Center. Can you clarify?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't quite understand what you mean by "Using the URL."  I do remember when the change was made that the Amazon capsule floated to the right was much larger than it used to be, so Hubs ended up with a lot of white space on the text size.  You can still see this on Hubs which haven't been updated since the change was made.

I haven't noticed the 'higher price' issue, but other people have.

Did you think you had to write 50 words for each capsule, so you've got a short paragraph and the right-floated Amazon capsule is too big?  That's not how the word limit works.

You can have one capsule per 50 words but that's OVERALL - i.e. you look at the TOTAL words in your Hub, divide it by 50 and that tells you how many capsules you can have, and those capsules can go anywhere you like. 

Personally, it would be very rare for me to go anywhere close to the limit.

As for the list price/sale price - odd pricing happens on Amazon, and when it does, I try to find an alternative product.

7. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Something about choosing specific products made a difference in the number you could have. Maybe that is not a current issue. Do you remember?

8. SusanSaies profile image61

Just to jump back in here, I've made changes to my hub I referenced at the start of this thread. I've added two youtube videos and a simple text capsule between the last two product capsules, plus other extra text.

This hub is now over 1,500 words, but I'm still getting that "uh oh" message saying I have too many products, etc.

I'll use that link WriterFox posted and hopefully get this message removed.

Also, thanks to Marisa for her information. I won't worry about this message, but want it removed anyway.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Did you read this post:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120672#post2557698

If it's an old Hub, you may have the capsules set to show multiple products.   The automated filter counts how many products the capsule is set to, not how many are displayed.  Open each capsule and set each to "1" and the warning will go away.

Exactly. That's what I've done, and it works.

9. SusanSaies profile image61

Marisa, thank you!!!

Although I had updated most of this hub more than once, the very last amazon capsule was still an old one, and it did show "3" instead of "1".

As soon as I changed it, that bothersome message went away.

Oh well, I think the extra work I did on the hub made it better anyway.

Now...if Hubpages would quit giving me a warning that a new hub is in danger of being substandard just because I've only chosen the url and haven't worked on it yet (and certainly haven't tried to publish an empty hub!), I would be totally happy!

Thanks again, Marisa!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I recently edited an old hub, and got that style tip.  I thought the number of capsules I had was fine, and the problem was the same one you mentioned.  All those "number of products" had to be changed from 3 to 1 since there was only one product in each capsule. That is strange that they couldn't get a program to do that when the other two are blank.

It is depressing to see a substandard warning as soon as you start a hub.  Calling me a failure before I've had a chance to redeem myself.  But I then remind myself that it is substandard in its current state.  My job is to make that warning go away and make the best hub I can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)