Do Editor's Choice Hubs Do Better?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Pawpawwrites profile image60
    Pawpawwritesposted 9 years ago

Even though I published my first hub a couple years ago, I haven't been active here until recently. I have a question for those with more experience. When you have a hub that gets labeled as editor's choice, does it generally do better, since it loses the subdomain?
    I wasn't sure if it would be good or bad for the hub.

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I only have one hub that was chosen as an Editors Choice. It is one of my worst performing hubs, attracting almost no traffic.   So for me there has been no advantage to an Editors Choice hub.

1. Pawpawwrites profile image60
        Pawpawwritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is what I was wondering about, whether there was a clear advantage. I still have a lot to learn.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some do, and some do not - it depends. You must take into account the traffic, the ratings, the content of the Hub, the weather, luck...

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some of mine do better than they probably would as stand alones. Others aren't doing anything.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would echo that. If I rank my hubs by 30 day traffic, I have an EC at the top of the list, at the bottom of the list, and the other 16 scattered throughout.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

An Editor's Choice designation can be revoked, so I've always felt it as more an indication of potential, but only if I maintain it.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that. I wonder if it takes away all of the aging of the hub.

3. Pawpawwrites profile image60
    Pawpawwritesposted 9 years ago

That is nice to know. I'll keep that in mind.

4. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

You can opt out of the Editors Choice program by editing your Profile and checking the box for that.

One thing you might not realize is that the URL of your Hub is changed, which means it goes through a 301 redirect. If it loses the EC status, which can happen, then the URL changes again and it is given another 301 redirect.

For people transferring work from Squidoo, this can mean one redirect too many for search engines.

People here have reported that good traffic to Hubs has tanked at least temporarily when their Hubs were chosen for EC.

I opted out.

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

After reading multiple discussions about the Editor's Choice program, I took a closer look at my lone EC hub.  Like many other hubbers' experiences, the traffic tanked after it was chosen and the URL changed.  After a few months, traffic returned but nowhere near the level it was prior to becoming an Editor's Choice.  I'm wondering now if I should opt out of the program in hopes that after yet another URL change, the traffic on this hub will recover.

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Some people say their traffic increased by having EC hubs, some saw no change, and some say their traffic declined.  It's hard to predict what the effect will be, and unfortunately you'll only ever know by giving it a try. Once you opt in, you have to stay opted in for at least 60 days.
    Here are some discussions about it
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115537
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117416

Being curious, I opted in for a while and all my hubs that were selected as EC took a nose dive.  I opted out after the 60 days were up and then their traffic recovered.  Your mileage may vary!

6. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

It didn't work for me. I received 6 but then opted out. It's been a year and a half since I've been out.

Edit: Wait. When did it start? Winter of 2013? Okay, so it's been almost a year.

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

If I had opted out after just 60 days, I would not have seen any difference. 

Editor's Choice was announced in early August 2013.  I've had Hubs in it the whole time and I think it has helped my overall traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)