How many "Editor's choice" hubs do you have?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (96 posts)
  1. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 10 years ago

I opened my Hp site today and was surprised to have 10 "Editor's choice" selected for my hubs.  I wonder how many did you get.  No hidden agenda; just curious.

1. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Zero. Not even my Hub of the Day was an Editor's Choice. :-(

2. abetterwaytolive profile image60
      abetterwaytoliveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All three of my hubs so far have been editors choices. I believe it is increasing my traffic, as my articles have all gone up to a 100, 99, and 98 and comments are increasing.

Way to go, abetterwaytolive! Congrats!

3. Faceless39 profile image94
      Faceless39posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have 5.. just got the accolade (didn't know there was one.)  I've noticed that when they put it on hubpages.com, as opposed to my personal page, my hits actually decrease.  That said, it's worth it just for the recognition, finally smile

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Zero

3. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I opted out of the program.

Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was not informed of this choice.  How did you go about it to opt out?  Do we have a choice?  I read in the forum that this program is not that excellent after all.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Go to your Profile and click at the top right to Edit.
        Scroll all the way down until you see this question: "My Hubs are eligible to become an Editor's Choice"
        Make your selection there and then keep scrolling to the bottom and save the changes.

Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Writer Fox,
          I will give it some time and review the results.

You're welcome.  Remember that you can only change the opt-in every 60 days, and when you do, the URL to your Hub changes.

EC Hub:  hubpages.com/hub/hub-name
            non EC:  subdomain.hubpages.com/hub/hub-name

You can read the forum discussions on these threads:
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117245
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115372

2. viryabo profile image95
      viryaboposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I opted out too but still found 4 EC's in my account.

When did you opt out and when were the Hubs made EC?

1. viryabo profile image95

Sorry for the late reply Writer fox. I opted out a couple of weeks or so, ago. I noticed this about 3 days ago.

And now there are 9

Then you should send an email to the staff and tell them you opted out and don't want to have your Hub URLs changed for the EC program! Obviously a mistake was made.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
              Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does not look like you actually opted out, viryabo. Please try again on this page: http://hubpages.com/my/profile/profile (remember to click "save") and let me know if it doesn't work!

Sorry i have been away. I did opt out, but perhaps i didn't click the save button. I think i will leave it for now and see how it all goes, though nothing good is happening to my views yet.
                Thank you for responding Marina.

It's on "No" now Marina.

2. viryabo profile image95

It's on "NO" now Marina.

4. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

None lol

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

None. I chose to opt out early on because the pros and cons were not clear to me. The reviews are mixed. Some hubbers have done well with it, seeing increased traffic, some have not. The good thing is you do have a choice to opt in and out. As most things that include change, it's trial and error.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Lol none.  I don't want someone selecting the pages they want out of my subdomain. I would prefer my 'successful' pages to be driving traffic to my other pages.  Isn't that how websites are supposed to work?

7. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Not a damn thing. Gee, thanks for nothin' HP. (*kicks rock*)

8. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

None, now ask me how many threads Ive started informing ppl that I have a prestigious award that they don't. lol
    (Was that too mean? Sorry.)

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth, if my iPad had a keyboard, you'd be owning me a new one.  Carbonated nasal lavage... bad.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
        DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"carbonated nasal lavage.."  LOL   Oooo that smarts!!!  I had that happen as a kid...please don't ask what I did to manage it...stupid kid stunt!  hmm

2. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol. Took me a sec to get that.

9. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I have 13 so far, and to be honest my hub readers have gone up quite a bit, so I wouldn't get rid of it just yet, I am not sure whether its because of the Editors choice or not, but it seems quite coincidental.
    sorry, 16! just added them up! lol!

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Apparently, compared to Nell Rose, Good Guy is only So-So Guy.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol! beth, no seriously, they don't do all the Editors choice at once. I started off with about 3 for a couple of weeks, then it went up a bit, and the last time I looked three or 4 days ago it was on 13, so Good Guy is just starting off, he may well end up with tons more than all of us.

1. Au fait profile image85
        Au faitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have 8 EC hubs so far and that happened a couple at a time just like Nell's.  I think how many EC's you get is dependent on how many featured hubs you have.  I have also noted a little more traffic on the EC hubs.  One has almost tripled in traffic while the others are about the same.  One has less than before.

2. profile image0

Well I was just kidding anyway. The editors chose ALL of mine, but I told them I didn't want anyone else to feel inferior so they gave mine away to other hubbers. You're all welcome.

Like Beth37, I had mine given away to others. Yeah, that's it. :-)

(Mine won't win because I persist in using my lawyer's copyright statements instead of theirs--I'm a non-conformist or anarchist or something :-) .)

1. profile image0

You so bada$$. wink

:-) I've been called worse, I assure you, and for most cases proud of it. LOL :-D Cheers, Beth37!

11. lady rain profile image93
    lady rainposted 10 years ago

Currently, I have 8. The hubs did get a surge of traffic views, almost similar to what we get when we publish a new hub. Overall traffic views have increased compared to the previous weeks, so all is good for me!

12. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I have several. I am seeing traffic rising to them also, but I am also seeing it rise on my subdomain, so not sure if the EC caused the rise overall or what.  I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

I opted out because I didn't want all the links to break to my existing hubs even if they were ever chosen as EC hubs. My traffic is WAY up on my overall set of hubs, though, for what it's worth: that might be common to everyone, I don't know--several of us have noted it here, but it may not be EC related.

1. ChristinS profile image38
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The links won't break though, it's not a broken link they redirect, so you don't have to worry about that should you choose to opt back in at some point. 

I'm just taking a wait and see approach - I hope traffic goes up overall for everyone.  I think it's too soon into the EC program to really know what is going to happen with it.

OH! That's good to know. I thought they physically moved your whole hub somewhere else. Redirecting obviously makes more sense. I think I'll wait and see, too. :-) Thanks again, ChristinS!

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't been around much lately so I don't know much about Editor's Choice. Are all my links which go to EC broken now? In lots of my hubs, which cover subjects related to one another, I have added a blue text capsule advertising my related hubs, with links to them. Does this mean I have to go back in and redo all the links to EC hub? What about hubs that are Pinterest pins? Are those links dead? Ugh.

Also, who is the "editor" doing the choosing. MTurks? Admin? Someone else?

Thanks, sorry if all these questions were answered weeks ago.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you have Editors' Choice hubs that you've linked to with the subdomain url, it will just redirect to the current hubpages url that doesn't include your subdomain.  I just looked at your pineapple vodka hub, which is currently an Editors' Choice hub (I can see by hovering over the link on your profile), and both of these urls work fine for me.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Pineapple-Vodka … -Pineapple
          and
          http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Pin … -Pineapple

1. profile image0

I see on the blog that it's actually "Editor's" and not "Editors' " as I wrote, so I guess it's just one person who chooses them?  I assumed it was a committee.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94

Thank you, Cal.

May I call you Cal?

1. profile image0

Only if it's short for Robert California.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94

lol

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
              MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I call him "That guy who writes hubs that make me feel like a 3rd grader on the short bus"  or "That Math Guy" to be brief.

Edited because I made an unwitting insult... which is quite unlike me, generally my insults are quite witting.

Same for me.... Robert California is so far above me. I cannot even help my kid with Algebra I. The last time I did she got a 45. yikes

2. profile image0

If you's dare in'sult me I will have you're accou'nt banned.

::goes into lair to stare::

lol lol lol

Perchance is your name Robert I. California? Robical?

1. profile image0

Thanks for the high compliment, but sadly no.  RIP that one sad

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
                  MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ROFLMAO!

You owe me a new keyboard smile

13. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Very near 10% of my featured hubs are EC-- don't know if that is good or bad, but my traffic and earning rate have improved quite a bit lately. It's always impossible to tell if one thing is related to another, so I'm not looking to change anything right now.

14. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

This whole Editor's Choice thing came in while I wasn't paying much attention to the site, dealing with my husband's health issues and mine.  So, I didn't even read the pros and cons about it, and left everything alone.

Then, one day, I was surprised that I had one.   Then, a couple of days later, I was astounded to find I had 9 more! 
    It doesn't seem to be hurting--or helping.  My traffic and income are about the same as before, so I'm playing the "leave well enough alone" game.

15. agilitymach profile image91
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I opted out - so zero.

16. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

It was strange, but all of mine that were chosen were low traffic hubs, but one. Maybe mine were good ones to experiment with since they weren't getting good traffic.

Very interesting, Barbara Kay! I wonder if they, too, are curious why some really good hubs get such poor traffic... (I know I am on a few; most of mine just aren't stellar hubs or are on obscure topics and that's why they get low traffic, however.)

2. lady rain profile image93
      lady rainposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Half of my EC hubs are low traffic and the other half are high traffic.

17. Caleb Melvern profile image92
    Caleb Melvernposted 10 years ago

Just today, I was surprised to see that I now have 6 EC hubs. I almost haven't touched my accounts here. I just log in to check my traffic stats and my earnings. It's strange how my EC hubs are not my best performing hubs traffic wise. It's also quite odd how five of them have hub scores only hovering around 80-85. I'll be monitoring how these EC hubs will fare in the following weeks.

18. Martin VK profile image61
    Martin VKposted 10 years ago

I have been on this site for 7 days. I have 12 featured hubs and 3 of them are Editors Choice.

I was very proud when I saw my first Editors Choice, and I like to think that it is a great achievement to have earned 3 of them within a single week.

However I hear that somehow people get less traffic on those EC hubs. Can anyone explain? Should I be worried about it at this early stage of my time at Hubpages?

wow! I've been here over 3 years and didn't get any until the point I opted out. I think most of us are taking a "wait and see what happens" approach to the EC hubs/process. Now that I've opted out, I have to STAY opted out for 60 days (probably 45-50 of which remaining), so I don't know what would have happened had I not done that a while back. I'm just waiting to see, too. :-)

1. Martin VK profile image61
        Martin VKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the response. I will just leave those EC hubs alone. It motivates me to write more when I see them. I would really like it if the EC status was visible to others. That would only make sense.

Yes, if the EC status was visible to others that surely would be nice! I think I remember someone saying they were working on an icon to put on EC pages that would be visible to others, but that was several weeks ago at least, so I'm not sure what's taking so long (unless it was a false rumor). Icons don't take more than a few hours to develop, after all, and there's an icon for "Hub of the Day" that appears on HotD articles--I would think/hope that the EC pages would get an icon ASAP, too.

Keep up the good work and congrats on your EC pages--I'm wishing I hadn't opted out, now, because I've been unmotivated to write for HP lately and that's one reason why (not getting any EC pages weeks after the program began, yet being highly ranked and an "oldster" on the site). I also opted out under a mistaken impression that my existing links to those pages would break; someone in the forums kindly corrected my mistake but I'd already opted out. I wonder what criteria they're using to determine the order in which they review pages for EC status? Perhaps just as they run across them in the course of their daily work, to keep things random?

Congrats again! --LS

Thank you once again. Their methods of selecting EC hubs must be totally random if you consider the fact that my hubs get barely no traffic at all right now . I can't say for sure though. I will try to focus on my writing as well as very basic SEO and then see where it takes me in the long run.

A sound approach. Also, for your non-EC hubs, consider re-editing and revising often. Scores and traffic go up the more and more often you change existing pages because Google revisits them with "fresh eyes". Great article on free will vs. determinism, by the way. (I've still got to read your others.) Note that the Title Tuner tool is invaluable as a first-line SEO tool! Second would be to focus on subheadings and picture headings.

Unsolicited advice: write to a lower-educated audience. Keep sentence length shorter and construction simple (something I eternally struggle with!!). Otherwise, the editors and readers lose interest and you'll get a lower score the longer and more complex your sentences. My philosophy is, "Make it easy to read and more people will spend more time reading it."

But at the same time it is some sort of compromise. I want to maintain my style of writing. Sometimes I get into long sentences with many subordinate clauses, but I kind of like that. I do want readers, of course - but not at any cost. I think that most of my stuff is very easy to read and understand, but there will always be room for improvement, and I appreciate your every bit of advice! Title-tuner does not work for me yet, due to low traffic I suppose - but i will remember to re-edit hubs etc. Thank you Laura!

You're totally right, and it's something I don't compromise on lightly, Martin VK. I do, however, blather on and on if left alone, so in my final edits that's something I have to check for: am I blathering or did I intentionally mean/need to say it this way? Definitely maintain your own balance between your writing style and your audience's ability to follow what you've written! (Be true to yourself!)

I'm following you now, and I look forward to reading your future works. And, I have to say, your English is excellent and you are clearly very intelligent AND smart. Your articles are a joy to read! :-) Keep up the good work! I can certainly see why you had 3 articles already chosen as EC--yours are a cut above most of what we write here, and are more academic than most I read, too. I like that a lot, though I tend to write more fluff pieces for this audience (I've snuck in a few better ones, though). Cheers!

I'm flattered! Fluff or academic - I dont know what mine are, but I hope theres an audience for them. It really motivates and excites me that someone like you - who has apparently been in this game for long - compliment on my work like this!! I still haven't read your stuff, but I owe you that. Take care!

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Here are other forum threads which discuss the Editor's Choice program:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115372
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/116372

Thanks for doing the legwork for us, Writer Fox! Appreciate it!!

19. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

I have zero EC hubs too, I'm a little disappointed because most of my hubs are stellar and I have attributed photos and exceeded the 1150 word count on all of them. Hopefully mine will get picked  in the future.

Good luck, susi10! You're certainly not the only one disappointed, either. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to reviewing your work yet--that's my only guess. Keep up the good work! I bet it will be recognized soon!!

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As many hubs as there are, it seems like it would take a long time to go through all of them. They may not have gotten to your account yet.

2. susi10 profile image96
        susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for those great words, Laura and Barbara! Yes, I recall Paul E. saying that it will take the team a couple of months to get half of the featured hubs reviewed for Editors Choice so they haven't even 50% of the featured hubs yet. Laura, you have some fantastic hubs so I am sure that they will be picked no doubt!

Thanks, susi10! I hope so, too. :-)

20. Danette Watt profile image83
    Danette Wattposted 10 years ago

I have one and was surprised to see that I got it. As I mentioned on a post in a different thread, so much of what HP does regarding accolades seems so arbitrary. Why this hub of mine to get EC? Why not others that I feel are equally done well?

I didn't opt out because I haven't been that active on HP lately and just wasn't up on the latest. However, it does seem my traffic has gone up a bit but whether that's from the EC or the new Google algorithm change (Hummingbird) is hard to tell

21. freefogging profile image60
    freefoggingposted 10 years ago

I have none...can't seem to get there...you know?

22. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

None, they are all featured though.

23. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

one

24. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 10 years ago

Well,I just found out that three of my Hubs are Editors Choice...
    This makes my day while dealing with a kidney stone this week! . wink

Woo-hoo! Contratulations, Stacie L! Sorry to hear you have a kidney stone; totally no fun at all (been there, done that a few times). Get well soon!

25. Caleb Melvern profile image92

I just logged in and found out that I had another EC hub, which brings me to a total of 7 EC hubs. And what's interesting is that two of them have a red arrow and one has two red arrows! The views came mostly from Google, about 90%. This increased my overall traffic by about 100 hundred views. Not much but I'm still happy. I wonder now if this has something to do with EC or if it's just Google.

26. Solaras profile image94

I just noticed I have my first EC hub, which is the last one I posted. I am curious to see what happens with it...

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well I had an Editors Choice for about 12 hours - It went away as quietly as it arrived.  I am not sure which is worse - No ECs or having it taken away lol.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your EC was a boojum!

1. Solaras profile image94
          Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's a boojum?

27. Caleb Melvern profile image92

I now have a total of 9 EC hubs. Seven of them are currently enjoying an increase in traffic, but the other two decreased in traffic by around 50%. Those two are my best hubs traffic-wise. This increase and decrease in traffic balance themselves out and my overall traffic is still the same.

28. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Strange echo in this thread.

1. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

the sound of one hand clapping

29. Solaras profile image94

Hey - I just got a notification on my account that I can nominate hubs for Editors Choice!  Interesting. There is a form to download...
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16MOW8K … I/viewform

30. SouradipSinha profile image83
    SouradipSinhaposted 8 years ago

Zero big_smile

31. Wavie profile image60
    Wavieposted 8 years ago

I have one so far. But I've only been on this website for 10 days and written 12 hubs, all quality ones except for one, which is still pending. I was very flattered.

32. Jenn-Anne profile image76
    Jenn-Anneposted 8 years ago

Last I looked I had two. They were both recipe hubs and the traffic to them has been pretty terrible. LOL!

33. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Zero - I opted out. Why? A long story from a land far away!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)