No Can Comment

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Has anyone noticed more than a few hubs for which one cannot leave comments? I came across a few this evening. Is there a bug going around or is there a preference option somewhere? BTW, none of the hubs were from the same Hubber. I didn't want to post in the tech thread yet unless it's not only happening to me.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

SPECIAL REPLY: I love to get comments on my hubs. It is very much like getting Christmas cards prior to Christmas. So to all of you, DO NOT cease commenting on this old guy's hubs.
      God bless you.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's your choice whether you allow comments on your Hubs or not.  Some people don't allow them for a couple of reasons.

They may not be active on HubPages, but have left their Hubs published to continue earning.   They don't want to have to come back to moderate comments - and allowing unsupervised comments is a recipe for disaster - so they simply don't allow them.

They may have been traumatised by a rush of nasty comments and they have reacted by disabling them all.

2. VladimirCat profile image70
    VladimirCatposted 9 years ago

You can choose to set them for no comments - or no more comments

3. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

You have a choice to allow comments or not.

4. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

We have a choice to approve comments first. Give people time to approve the comments, it could take some people minutes, hours, days or weeks...

5. Elsie Hagley profile image70
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

I'm not sure what is happening Arachnea. I do know that when I remember to check my comments, I can approve all of them on the same hub, but only comment on one, then there is no comment box. I have to close the hubpage and load it up again on the same hub,and the comment box is there, then I can comment on it, then to comment on another do the same thing again.

Hope you understand what I'm saying.

1. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image73
      Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello Elsie. If you drop down to 'My Account' beneath your user name, and then click on 'Comments', you'll be taken to a place where you can approve (or deny) and reply to all comments on all hubs. There is no need to reload the page. Approve one, then reply to it. Move on to the next one down the list. smile

6. Arachnea profile image65

Thanks. These folks must have their posts set for no comments then. There isn't a comment box to begin with so I doubt the hubs in question are pending approval of any comments.

7. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 9 years ago

On your account page ("hubs" then "comments") you can set the default setting for all your hubs under "global comment capsule settings". I like to moderate all comments before they are published. However, there are some topics that seem to attract a lot of spam and on those I remove the comment box completely.

8. profile image0
    Colin323posted 9 years ago

It is a pity if Hub writers have not left space for comments, as I like to leave a note to say I enjoyed reading a particular article, learned something from it, give an opinion etc.  It makes writing more a two-way communication if there is the chance to do that.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
      Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Colin323, I agree I love reading what a visitor has said about the hub, in most cases I always reply.

2. Arachnea profile image65
      Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I set my comments to require approval before they are visible to readers. I can always delete the spam. Besides, I'm more than happy to report spammers anyway.

Marisa Wright, that's a thought. I'd not considered persons who are inactive just leaving their hubs w/o the comments option. It makes sense, however.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is another reason.   At one point, there was a mini "war" on HubPages about comments, and some Hubbers were cowed into removing their comments boxes, unjustifiably I think.

The thing is, some Hubbers are convinced that it's the height of rudeness if you don't thank each and every commenter for their comment - whereas others disagree.   I'm one of those who disagreed!   And I was told that if I wasn't prepared to thank commenters, then I wasn't entitled to use the comments box.  I disregarded that instruction, but I know some others who succumbed to the pressure.

My view is that I don't provide the comments box to fish for compliments, and I never ask for comments.  I don't play the "I'll-comment-on-your-Hub-if-you-comment-on-mine" game.   I provide the comments box so people who feel strongly can express their opinion, or that those with questions can ask them.  In that regard, you could say they should thank me, not vice versa - if I didn't have a comments box, I would be denying them their right to a voice.   

At the end of the day, that's my way of using HubPages and I'm entitled to it.  My Hubs are there to earn an income - I keep the social chit-chat for the forums.  If others want to be social on their Hubs, that's their right too.   It's a case of respecting each others' way of doing things.

1. profile image0
          Colin323posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I can see how the motivation for writing Hub articles would affect this decision. If the predominant reason is to generate income, then comments are secondary, or even superfluous, to the number of Adsense hits gained.  If the main motivation is to communicate with other writers/readers - with sales secondary, or unimportant, to this - then comments are invaluable to this process. I'm in the latter camp, so enjoy commenting on others' work, and receiving feedback on my own. Vive le difference.

9. mickey1985 profile image59
    mickey1985posted 9 years ago

Hello. I'm new and tried to reply to several comments...nothing

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since you don't have any Hubs yet and haven't commented on any, I presume you are trying to make another reply to Q/A posts you've been asking.  You can only reply to a post there once until some one else makes a comment.

10. Arachnea profile image65

Interesting to see how different people have different uses for HP or any other platform wherein one interacts or not with other users of the site.

I'd not really intended to start a debate or encourage soap box orations. My question is answered however, regarding the possibility of a bug preventing me from leaving comments.

For me, what ever floats the boat of anyone concerned is fine so long as it's in keeping with established rules and causes no harm to others. I'd prefer not to gag on someone else's idea of how something *must* be done if it's not a hard and fast rule of the powers that be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)