Links in your blogs or websites reminder!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I was checking my blogs yesterday.  OMG!  I had text links that went back to Squidoo!

While fixing lenses now hubs, don't forget the links you created in your blogs and own websites.   The lenses, in my blogs and website, took reader back to lenses that no longer existed.  However, I found some for other lensmasters lenses that did not do a redirect.  I got a does not exist message.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda,
      As a Hubber (what a Hub member is called) you have to continuously check your Hubs for what are called "broken links". They are links that no longer have anyplace to go. In other words, they do not work anymore when you click on them, the original site is closed. You either have to remove them or replace them.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image59

The Examiner: Yes to that one.  In fact, I have found broken links in hubs that did not show up when I clicked on tab to check for broken links. Not one hub had symbol for broken links and there wasn't one warning about broken links.   

It simply slipped my mind to go to my blogs and check links to see where they went to and if they were broken or not.   I posted this just as a reminder because of the transfer of lenses to HP and the work lensmasters have to do.  Not one link to Squidoo worked in my blogs.  There wasn't one redirect.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

There are supposed to be free websites out there that will check your entire blog or website for broken links all in one shot. If there is a good one out there, I have yet to find it. Plus, the concept is probably used as malware bait as well. If anyone knows a good site they trust, I'd love to hear about it.

PARADIGMSEARCH,
      Here are two,
      http://www.wpuniversity.com/blog/5-tool … oken-links - do not know whether free or not
      http://www.websitegoodies.com/tools/linkcheck.php - says free

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Neither seems to be able to tell me if my 100+ links to other Hubber's hubs are each and all still good or not. Not even WMT seems to be able to help me in this regard. After all this time, I would imagine that at least a few of them would have gone by the wayside by now.

There were others at that site. The first one gave me a low rating warning and then I picked out those two.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages has a built-in broken link checker.   Go to "my account" and click on "Broken Links" in the dark grey top bar.   It doesn't run constantly so the reporting is not immediate, but it catches up eventually.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image59
            LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did that, but it is not working

4. LindaSmith1 profile image59

one of the links seems to be for wordpress sites only.  I bookmarked the second one.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The WP one also lists other options. That's what got me inspired to give WMT another shot. big_smile

2. lbrummer profile image94
      lbrummerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Linda, for the heads up on the Squidoo links not working on blogs. My blog uses Wordpress and they let me know when a link is broken, but I have a HubPages Gallery which contains my craft projects from HP and it never let me know that those links were down.  I have them fixed, but I wouldn't have thought to check on the pictures in that gallery if I hadn't read your forum entry.  Thanks a bunch.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image59

ibrummer: For some reason HP is not giving us a broken links warning. If you click on the broken links tab to see if you have any, you are told no broken links which is not always the case since i found several on my own.

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

For those with lots of links to Squidoo lenses on their blogs, I'd recommend removing most of them not updating them.

The idea of creating links on your own blog to your lenses/Hubs to increase traffic is an outdated idea.  It doesn't work and may even count against you!

Firstly, no matter how many links you've created, Google counts only one or two links to the same domain and ignores the rest. 

Secondly, if you constantly link to the same site, Google gets very suspicious that you might be a spammer.

Thirdly, if you're linking from your blog to your lens AND vice versa (called reciprocal linking), the two links cancel each other out and have no effect at all.

1. pateluday profile image52
      pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your blog has high traffic some of the benefit will pass on to the hub if you link it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's true - if you have a successful blog then you get the benefit of real readers clicking on the links and visiting.  However, you still have to consider how Google views the links - if you're linking out to lots of other sites too, then it's fine, but having the majority of links to HubPages is not a good idea. 

Besides, if your blog is so successful, why are you encouraging your readers to leave?

7. classicalgeek profile image83
    classicalgeekposted 9 years ago

When I had Windows, I used this:
    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

It worked really well.

Here's the Wikipedia article on it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu%27s_Link_Sleuth

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)