How do I make links 'no-follow' ?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. stuff4kids profile image60
    stuff4kidsposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11899391.jpg
    Hi folks. I'd like to make all the links in my hubs 'no-follow' - especially those referring to the sources of images, but I'm not sure how to do it or if that is actually the default. In the image edit box there's no option to write code. Any advice would be gratefully received.  smile

1. neosurk profile image86
      neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There's no way to make the links no-follow. If your hubber score is less than 85, all your outgoing links are no-followed. As your hubber score rises from 85, the links are follow.

Edited for correction: The Hubber score threshold is 85, not 80.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#linksnofollow

stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. So unless I can drop my Hubber score (which moves between 96 and 100 typically) I'm stuck with link-outs every time I properly attribute an image.

Maybe, that's not a problem. I'd just heard that Mr. Google had started to frown on too many out-going links...

Oops, sorry. Actually, the hubber score threshold seems to be 85. (Not sure when that changed)
          Here is the full FAQ about nofollow: http://hubpages.com/faq/#linksnofollow

stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! You're very kind.   smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not the case.  Every time you create a hyperlink, you'll notice you have the option to tick a box to make it no follow.

Unfortunately there's no way to go back and make a global change.

Oops, yeah. Totally forgot about that. Thanks, Marisa!

2. kenneth avery profile image78
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

stuff4kids: Hey, just to make sure that you do not suspect that I did anything with the images on your links . . .I did nothing at all. Please remember this comment as the future rolls by.

3. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First of all, Google likes to see followed links to sites with related information which you recommend, and your Hubs will rank higher on Google search results pages if you include some great external links.

Links to affiliates, advertising, most photo credits and sites which you do not personally endorse, however, should be NoFollow.

You create a NoFollow link by clicking to check the box when editing a text capsule while you are inserting the link:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11906423.jpg

On HubPages, you cannot make a link NoFollow in a photo capsule.  So, don't ever put a URL in there.  Instead, put your photo credit in a text capsule underneath a photo capsule.

2. Lionrhod profile image77
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Okay so as a newbie, can someone kindly explain when we SHOULD or SHOULD NOT make links no-follow and why?

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google Webmaster Guidelines requires you to make these links NoFollow: links for advertising, links for affiliates, links someone has paid you to post, and links to content which you do not personally recommend as valuable and related to your Hub's content (this includes photo credits).

Links to external webpages which are related to your Hub's topic and which you consider to contain valuable information for users should be Followed links.   Having good, Followed links to external sites on your Hubs can help with your rankings on Google search results pages.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

As WF says, if your link is one that provides useful, relevant information about the topic of your Hub, you want Google to recognise it, so you make it "do follow".   

If the link is an affiliate link or a link to, or to an unrelated site, you should make it "no follow".  Photography sites usually have lots of unrelated material on them, so most of the time you'll want to make photo links no follow (which means you put the link for the photo credit somewhere else, not in the photo capsule itself).

3. Lionrhod profile image77
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Ty much. More questions:
    How do we make the font size smaller as in WF's example?

Also can we just say "photo source"? As I understand we need to follow the info here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

That's a bit outdated and it's not necessary.   

HubPages' method of "correct attribution" was always a bit over the top, IMO, and looked very clumsy.   It was never compulsory - it was introduced several years after HubPages started, and older Hubs with different attributions were never penalized.  I've never used it and have never had any trouble.

What matters is that you attribute your photos correctly according to what the photographer requires.   I wrote a Hub about using Flickr for photos, which explains the different options you can use.  It's in the slider on my profile.

1. Lionrhod profile image77
        Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa! That was an excellent hub and super informative. Having a single photo credit area makes a lot of sense and doesn't look nearly as clunky.

LOL off to edit my hubs AGAIN!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)