What is the protocol for comments?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image76
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Most of my hubs are innocuous--quotes about happiness, grammar tips, history. but  sometimes I write on a controversial subject. Recent I wrote about atheism and theism. It was objective reporting about ad campaigns. I am fine with people leaving either positive or negative comments, but is it appropriate to get into a debate with me about my reply to their comment? Also two people got into a heated debate with each other leaving long comments addressed to each other. Not me.  Finally I asked them to "take-it-outside." (Metaphorically speaking.) They said they would stop debating in my comments area so my issue was resolved.

The whole thing got me thinking about what is appropriate for comments and if an author is unhappy about comments, how should the author handle it? I don't think the comments rose to the level of reportable abuse, but it was getting close.

CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the author has the freedom to accept or delete comments. I think I was asking more about what is good manners regarding comments. I know I have the power to draw the line wherever I want, but is there a consensus of opinion of what oversteps the line.

For instance, abusive comments like name calling or cursing would be against TOS.In my case. I was not comfortable with people "fighting" with each other or going off topic.  I understand when people have strong beliefs on a topic it is easy to get carried away. 

I don't want people to think they can't disagree with me or ask a question.

I just wondered if there were any informal standards about what is good manners?

What would cause you not to approve a comment?

P.S. I will check out my comment settings.  I think I may just have left them at defaults.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We can delete any inappropriate and not related to the subject comments and may also inform the commenter to be to the point. In case of heated, hate sparking comments you should immediately delete them without informing the commenter.
        Sometimes, the comment thread goes for long in terms of both text and period which needs some limitation as to the length. Some suitable and appropriate limits need to be fixed for this and the thread should be closed after that lapse of time and limit.

2. Maina Ndungu profile image92
      Maina Ndunguposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's very simple Catherine. Just use your discretion to gauge whether a comment adds value to your hub or not. If it doesn't, just disapprove it.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

You can delete inappropriate or any comments you don't want.  I have mine set for approval before they are seen.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

It is completely your choice.  If you think they detract from the hub content, go ahead and delete.  But I've seen these kind of comments left on a hub and it's perfectly fine.  Controversial topics are bound to bring in different points of view.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

A debate in the comments section can bring in more views. Some people get tons of views on hubs just from commenters fighting it out.  But if you don't want your hub to become a forum, you can delete the posts, or change the hub's comment setting so that they have to be approved by you first before appearing.  As said above, you have complete freedom to manage the comments however you want.

5. Kylyssa profile image89
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

Is this the first you've written on atheism? It's very emotionally charged for Americans and you can expect some immature reactions to anything that doesn't say bad things about atheists when talking about them.  I used to get threats of death and threats of rape on a regular basis when I kept up with my atheist blog.  It's cooled down a lot lately, though.  I've been threatened with rape only twice this year and my last death threat was almost a year ago.  Not only that but my last really foul contact from an upset religious fellow had to do with a page on homelessness, not atheism!

My rule is to not allow posts that contain profanity, threats, or personal attacks.  I also do not allow off-topic comment section discussions or the posting of duplicate content as Google sees all.  Atheist content attracts big chunks of cut and paste Bible verses better than honey attracts flies and I'm pretty sure Google sees that as duplicate content.

If a few commenters are able to have completely on-topic discussion in my comments I let them have at it.  If it veers too far off, I usually contact them and let them know I appreciate their comments, but, hey, they're confusing Google by putting a large number of off-topic words on my page.

In general, I moderate with a light hand on controversial topics.  There can be backlash in the form of harassment if one does not.

Kylissa, you have been very helpful. I feel like you have shown me how to handle this. Compared to you, I guess I'm ahead of the game--no threats of violence. In fact everyone has been pretty nice. I take things too personally sometimes. I think I was disappointed because I was hoping for some "Right-ons" and some "You've given me something to thin about." 

Although the subject represents a minority viewpoint, I tried to be careful to not be offensive.  And although it was probably clear what side of the billboard wars I was on, I never overtly stated it.  I am not anti-theism, but I wanted to explain why people should not be anti-atheist. People can have different views and still be good people.  But now I am getting off topic.

My hub was not telling people to be atheists. It was telling people to stop hating atheists. Technically, the hub was not even about atheism; it was about ad campaigns. The ads just happened to be about atheism and the response to those ads.

2. Kylyssa profile image89
        Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All it takes is use of the word atheist on the page for the comments to need close moderation.

6. Jeanette Mughal profile image60
    Jeanette Mughalposted 9 years ago

I welcome all comments, but the mean ones usually puzzle me--and I would say so!

7. abidareacode profile image67
    abidareacodeposted 9 years ago

I think comments are good for the popularity of the post. But it should be related to the topic discussed.It may be between two commentators without linking to author.I feel no problem in it.

I think I was just upset about the angry tone one of the commentators took.  Like everyone, I want people to like me.  But you are right abut the people who don't like me making me rich.  (Well, not exactly rich, but I have gotten a lot more views for this than for the other two hubs I did last week.)  It is ironic because the hub was about how the people who disagreed with the atheist ad campaign actually made the campaigns successful for the atheist groups.  If everyone had just ignored them, they would have just faded into oblivion. 

This hub has gotten fewer comments than usual despite all the extra views. I think that is because most of the people who didn't like the topic were too polite to say so. It's all been a learning experience.

95% of my hubs are entirely non-controversial, but every now and then I will do more hubs on the subject. My purpose is not to criticize anyone's beliefs or to try to convince anyone to change their beliefs. Just the opposite, I take great pains to simply inform and not express opinions. For instance, when I put in an amazon capsule, I could have chosen one of the dozens of best-seller books written by prominent atheists. Instead I choose to feature a book written by a rabbi whose theme matches his title, "Good without God."

Just this morning, a friend told me that for years after she left the religion of her childhood, she just felt lost. She had never heard of secular humanism.  Once she stumbled upon it, she recognized it as a philosophy that felt right for her.  I want to let people who are searching know they are not alone.

Thank you everyone who took part in this forum. I decided, in the interest of free speech, I would leave the comments that upset me visible. Let everyone see how some of the people who disagree with me comport themselves. However, if anyone crosses the line into abuse, I will report them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)