Which is Most Important for SEO

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (46 posts)
  1. lbrummer profile image96
    lbrummerposted 9 years ago

Which is the most important for search engine searches: the Hub summary or the first paragraph of the Hub?  I thought the summary was most important, but I notice that sometimes searches show the first sentences in the hub.  Are both equally important?

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the most important thing for SEO is the title.

The  summary and the first paragraph are ideally used to grab the reader's attention and get them wanting to read more. I see them as opportunities to engage....if you miss it, then you miss  readers and if that happens a lot it lets google know that your page doesn't meet searchers expectations.

Obviously that's not going to do you any good!

1. bigfeet profile image68
        bigfeetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm gonna have to agree with title. If you have good title, you're going to get more weight. For instance search "what are diabetic shoes" and
        "medicare diabetic shoes" and I show up on page 1.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you enter a search query (for example); 'net worth of max martin',  the search engine will find the closest match on specific pages to show in the serps.  The snippets in the results bold the key words.  A summary or the first few lines of a paragraph may not successfully answer a query.  In my understanding, the summary is used to properly index a page.  I think knowing your audience and giving them the best user experience is what google is looking for.  The Hummingbird algorithm changed how pages rank and they fluctuate.

3. Marie Flint profile image71
      Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I had to rank the importance of SEO (at which I'm horrible), my ranking would be as follows (from most important to least): 1. title  2. summary 3. opening paragraph.

I do try to conclude my hub articles with a decisive ending, but this is not always an effective summary in accordance with journalism standards, rather my writing tends to be creative. (Probably why I'm not making much money.)

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i say, it is the title but on hubpages, the title and the first paragraph shows up

5. chefmancave profile image71
      chefmancaveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned keyword research. Is this a dead art or has keyword research been rendered irrelevant by Google's new algorithms? It would appear though there are two camps: Title versus Content. I think attention has to be paid to both. A SEO friendly title will help you climb the search engine rankings ladder. But well written content is vital to maintaining your position in search engines.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1
        Keyword research is primary and it is the first thing you should do before even writing a Hub.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree. Keyword researched titles and very good content; winning combo.

6. zinfoway-murali profile image61
      zinfoway-muraliposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Generally, Mapping Keywords are really important in your title and the content as well.
      It means use the best keywords in your title and content.

7. swetasingh513 profile image58
      swetasingh513posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Basically Meta Title,Meta Keywords ,Meta Descriptions is important for seo.

1. profile image54
        agens1288posted 4 years agoin reply to this

meta title, meta keyword is very important for onpage SEO.

8. isparmopakarseo profile image57
      isparmopakarseoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The most important think in SEO is Title and Keyword in the content.

9. profile image0
      Alma Evansposted 3 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, the content is the most important factor and you should never compromise the quality of the content for the sake of SEO.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

The copy in the article is by far the most important. This is what engages readers.  Descriptions can add value, but they're secondary.

1. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fancy, I always thought it was the summary, seems I should be looking at things rather differently, thanks Paul.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see a lot of people do more damage than good with summaries by packing too many keywords. Doing this can make a good article spammy.

1. lbrummer profile image96
          lbrummerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your explanation, Paul.  I'm to keep the summary brief and concise.  And my first paragraph should be interesting and includes a sentence with a keyword or phrase that tells what the hub is about.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
            Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like Paul's explanations. I use the first 60 words of the hub's first paragraph to get in the title words and a clear description of what the article is about. In the summary I copy a part of the article that will entice readers to read more.

2. colorfulone profile image77
            colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is going to get me checking those summaries and opening paragraphs. That should not take too long (one advantage of not having a lot of hubs).

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your post caused me to go check my summaries yet again. I edited a few more that might have been borderline. All is well.

To anyone who is interested, just editing a summary will not change your article date and therefor will presumably not get your hub tortured by QAP. big_smile

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and yet when I have reported them, the hubs have not been removed.  Why?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But for "SEO" search engine optimization (the question here) the issue is getting rank, not engaging readers.

1. aesta1 profile image91
        aesta1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Engaging readers means more traffic and if they read your article the bounce rate gets lower.

3. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thought the most important thing for SEO was content.

I think they all walk hand in hand. If you have the best optimized title with bad or irrelevant content you lose. A title could be  average with great content and get a lot of traffic.

4. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Search engines pick up on keywords that naturally occur in text of the article anyway. And the body of the article is what mostly engages readers, keeping them on the page.

3. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

One of the things I was always told was that best practice was keep the articles to the point (keeps the readers engaged) with good grammar and don't worry so much about the right 'keywords' as a well written article of a reasonable length will naturally have those.

I'm still fairly new to hubpages so I'm still working that all out. I do find the 'hints box' (that's what I call it) helpful as it reminds me to put photos, video and other stuff in that can make the article 'interactive' and the readers can enjoy 'playing' on the article. I just need to learn more about the tools we're given. Hope some of these ideas help.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

What I have noticed seems to be that the first sentence of the text shows up only if there has been no summary filled in.

Fill in the summary box, and that should always be what appears in searches, at least according to what I've seen. 

If I'm wrong, I'll happily accept correction on the matter; but you do notice that here, on HP, when a new hub shows up on the front page, with a brief description--if there's no summary, you get the first line or so of the body text.

5. profile image0
    promisemposted 9 years ago

The most important is the keyword that you want search engines to use to find your Hub. That keyword should go into the title, the first paragraph and at least a few more times throughout the Hub.

If the Hub doesn't have a well-defined keyword (which is another way of describing the theme), it will be much harder to attract attention.

6. Ibiza Style profile image68
    Ibiza Styleposted 8 years ago

with regards search positioning only (ie nothing to do with readers) the title is by FAR the most important thing, to give the page it's "core" ranking potential. 

content is secondary, and will then allow the page to pick up longer tail queries, from any extra content words.

if you want rankings for blue widgets, you 100% need blue widgets in the title, after which any extra content then allows variations on any blue widget theme.

but even in these days of almighty Google, it is still possible to rank a page with page titles and linkpower alone, content is soooooo definitely not king.

given that most hubbers couldnt tell a good link from their elbow, you definitely want to get the titles right.

7. pitechindore profile image41
    pitechindoreposted 8 years ago

For Search Engine optimization of any business website or blog or hub the most basic fundamentals remains the same. For search engine optimization of the most two important factors are on-page SEO and Off Page SEO. If on page optimization is done efficiently then you have won half of the race after that off page optimization comes. To generate sales and genuine traffic proper off page SEO is the most important factor. To develop organic traffic it is necessary to link you hub, blog or website to the relevant sources according to your niche. If Link building is done properly then it helps tremendously help in generating quality and original traffic. Also keyword research also plays an important role before writing on anything that what users actually searches for.

8. jootavootafan profile image62
    jootavootafanposted 8 years ago

generally use proper seo on page which helps to improve the website ranking in search engine result page.

9. profile image52
    docksonpaulposted 7 years ago

According to me important factor for SEO is the target customer/reader/viewer.
    how target customer are perceiving particular website, content or any kind of business.
    On that basis researcher have to do (niche) keyword research and need to formulate online strategy.
    This step will help to attract prospect viewer/reader and keep engage them. Result of this website quality score will also improve. In this whole set up internal linking will play important role.
    Thank you
    smile smile GOOD LUCK smile smile

10. Ashley John11 profile image59
    Ashley John11posted 6 years ago

Most important thing in SEO is to get quality backlinks and rank your keywords smile

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No it isn't.

The most important thing for SEO is to write quality content that people are actually searching for. Too many backlinks can harm your page/site.

1. Ashley John11 profile image59
        Ashley John11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Content is the King that is obvious. But if you get quality backlinks from good DA websites, then it'll definitely help you to rank in SERP.

theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

All that stuff is so out of date big_smile Stop paying attention to the 'gurus'; they know nothing. They are simply trying to sell their own 'expertise'.

Best SEO:

Top quality content
          Searchable title
          Judicious use of keywords/phrases
          Maybe some careful social media promotion.

If a quality site backlinks to you **in a natural way**, then count yourself fortunate. However, if you go link farming, your content will soon disappear from search results.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Creating your own backlinks is an outdated strategy.  So is keyword stuffing.

1. Ashley John11 profile image59
        Ashley John11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

So, how will you do link building if you won't create any backlink for your own website?

1. profile image0

Creating backlinks is really important in an SEO perspective.

theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Going around Hubpages, posting meaningless comments and asking if you can promote your blog on the English Language forum is not going to gain you any brownie points. You have the wrong idea about how the platform works.

Learning Center, press Help, top right.

1. profile image0

Okay

11. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

Alma, for goodness sake research the platform.

1. You can't self-promote in the forum; not even your own articles.

2. Why is your article in the Literature category?

If you aren't careful, you'll be banned for spamming.

1. profile image0

Corrected. Thanks for the kind information. I Will be more careful and I'm working on learning the rules of the platform.

12. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

5 year old thread

1. profile image0

Is there really any problem with posting on such old threads? I'm new to this platform that's why I'm asking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)