My Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Froggy213 profile image62
    Froggy213posted 8 years ago

Whether or not you want to provide feedback that is your choice, but I am slightly wondering about the system Hubpages seems to be using. This hub I just wrote and published has a plethora of 1 day views, but is unfeatured (all white)? I don't get it???

http://froggy213.hubpages.com/hub/Coffee-Con

My hubber score sits at a 47-48 while people with 1 or 2 hubs have scores in the high 90s. My pay seems to be averaging 4-6 cents per day when at Tempesta Media I have an article viewed 12 times and I receive 20 cents. Hmmmm???? I have over 400 hubs and make 4-6 cents per day.

What gives Hubpages?

1. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're making 4 to 6 cents a day total? or per hub?

Here is what I see when viewing the hub you asked about.

The title is weak. If you want traffic, then you need to consider what people would be searching for and use that.  They aren't going to be searching for "Coffee Con"  Your title should reflect the purpose of your hub, which brings us to the next part.

It's hard to follow the scope of your hub and it seems to kind of jump around. It's about how you started drinking coffee, then what you love about an island with lots of links unrelated to the current hub content.   

There is also an entire translated article from another place within yours that I didn't see an original link to. 

There are two types of coffee linked in Amazon capsules but no mention of why you are recommending those specific coffees. 

Your article reads more like a blog post and goes off on tangents and has numerous links - most of which would be of no additional value to the reader to speak of.  Then at the end it's a sales pitch to buy your freelance writing services. 

There are a couple of things good with this hub.  It does have some interesting information, and your photos are properly sourced.

Unfortunately,  most of this hub is not what a searcher would be looking for who wanted to know more about how Puerto Rican coffee companies are acting dubiously.

Hubs are better when they are articles that answer a question someone wants answered or solve a problem or provide concise information for a reader.  Personal stories that intertwine should not be the intro to your article, they should be mixed in as you develop the topic and only if they are wholly relevant.

Anything irrelevant to the topic of the hub (your freelance writing services have nothing to do with the subject of the hub) should be eliminated.  You have an Authors box for blurbs about you at the top.

Froggy213posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks for your input; it is 4-6 cents per day total. That is why I very seldom write here anymore. I have ample enough views that it should be higher.

At one time here at Hubpages I had payout monthly...now????

As a freelance writer, and a multiple book author, I have many other income sources. I truly do not need Hubpages, but it seems that as an "O.G," of Hubpages, I should be getting more than 4-6 cents per day.

I wonder if an audit were performed, what the outcome would be?

1. ChristinS profile image40

define "ample enough views" Obviously they aren't ample enough if you are only getting 4 to 6 cents per day.  You can have 1000 hubs and if they aren't getting shared via social media or picked up via search, then the number of hubs you have doesn't matter.  Also, for most, it's a handful of hubs that are usually the biggest earners and the others are modest.  My top hub gets thousands of views a week, where my weakest one may get a dozen maybe... so wide range of views.

I've made payout consistently since my 7th month here and I've been here 4 years.  I get my views from searchable titles and shares on social media and having hubs that do what readers are looking for.  I've never seen inconsistencies in earnings or had such a radical drop, so I can't really speak to that.  If you are truly concerned this is a glitch of some sort, have you asked HP staff via email to clarify?

If you were making payout previously and are not now, have you revamped the hubs that were earning you money and brought them into alignment with HP's current standards? Much has changed here in the last year or so as HP works to bring the quality of the site up overall. 

Multiple revenue streams are indeed the way to go, but you asked specifically about that hub and your hubber score, so my intent was to help you maybe see some things you should change to make your hubs work for you on this platform.  Every platform is different and what works for one will not work for another etc.

By no means am I calling you out, as I know you are trying to help.

No, it just seems odd that at Tempesta Media I can have one article get 20 views and make 10 cents. I have 400+ articles getting anywhere from 100+ views per day and make 4 cents. I know that there is revamping I could do, but I may find it more to my benefit to pull them and let them gather some dust and then put them out elsewhere.

I have confronted Hub staff before and never receive any answers. I have watched Hubpages turn into a Helium type of stress fest. As a matter of fact, I believe I may do a blog post on this very subject.

I wish you all well. Hope you make millions here.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
              TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Apparently what you fail to realize is that the money you earn is based on what advertisers are willing to pay to have their ads placed on your articles.  They base their payment on how well they feel your hubs will do, ie, how many page views they get.

This  means you have to be writing on topics that provide info that will lead to people clicking on ads.

For example, I write about RV travel and lifestyle.  While many of my hubs produce only minimal ad income, some do better because they have the ability to produce product sales.

It is not HPs fault that you are not earning here.  How they set things up is their business plan, and it is one you agreed to follow when you signed up.  Other sites have different plans that pay differently, so you may want to find one that is more in tune with how much you want to earn.

I agree that what you are earning is a pitiful amount, but I'll bet if you reworked some of your articles or introduced more topics that more people would want to read, you'd start earning.

There are people here who do very well simply because they understand how all of this works and do what they can to give themselves a leg up.

I do OK, but unlike some others, I do not have millions of views (I wish!). 

Always remember that this is not a blogging site.  If you want to do well here, you must provide original information that people need and want.  It's hard to do, but obviously, some here do that and earn as a result.

Good luck to you.  You definitely write well, but maybe HP is not the place for you.

While I completely understand what you are saying, I do still have my suspicions.

I was getting a plethora of sales on my coin collecting hubs. I have hubs that get a wide view range. It just doesn't seem like the sales via ebay/amazon from coins would just suddenly die.

If you look at my varieties of Hubs, many are not "blog" style.

I do believe that Hubpages has adapted a Helium style of management with favorites being rewarded even if their material is average. We all know what happened to Helium.

No, I have to agree to disagree...it doesn't make sense that my income level would drop from making payoff every month to 2-4 cents per day now.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Except for the fact that there is the issue of competition.  Coin collecting is a very popular topic, so how many people are writing about it now that were not writing about it before?  There is a constant ebb and flow in relation to this.

The problem with online writing is that it can be very unstable.  People steal.  There is competition.  Advertisers are fickle. Google is always slapping sites around, etc. etc.

I don't do this for a living, so I can roll with it, but those who count on this income clearly are stressed all the time.  Your drop in earnings is significant, and I don't blame you for being upset.  If you are only making pennies a day after all of the time you have spent here, it may well be time for you to set up your own website or seek other writing sites.

Oh, I do, and I have. Not trying to "toot my horn," but I am doing quite well as a full-time freelancer. I have several regular clients along with my own website. I also have over 50 books published that are also doing well.

My frustration lies in my own suspicion. I have watched changes here at Hubpages that I have attempted to "roll with," but when I see Hubbers with 2 hubs have a score of 100 and some of us just fighting to get above 50, it seems there is something amiss.

I have been slowly removing hubs and revamping them, but maybe it is time to remove them all. I will consider it and move on to greener pastures.

2. ChristinS profile image40

This is a completely different type of website than HP so comparing the two isn't really relevant.  HP is for publishing your own content and sharing in the revenue, the site you are talking about is one where you write content for clients correct? So I am still not seeing what one has to do with the other. 

I have a few of my own websites, some earn higher than others - it depends on what advertisers are willing to pay and a host of other factors.  I can't really compare what I earn on my soap website, compared to what I earn on my writing website - because both are completely different markets.  They both run Adsense ads (and I use Amazon on them) but they make very different amounts of money - because they are different. 

HP has taken several Google slaps in the past few years - hence all the changes regarding what is acceptable or not and why most people saw earnings drop.  Many left due to those frustrations.

Actually, it works both ways at Tempesta Media. I have created content for clients, but we can also write material that goes directly on one of their websites. I was just looking at my figures for this month on this article: http://articlesonsales.com/10-must-read … -aid-17772

10 views this month and 76 cents in earnings.

Now Hubpages--400 views in the last 7 days and 10 cents in earnings. I don't give a diddly what type of advertising program anyone is using, this just seems completely irrational. When I receive 400 views on my personal website, I earn at least 20-30 dollars from adsense. Let's just do some math: 60% of 20 dollars is 12 dollars. Hmmm??????

I would be willing to gamble that a true and complete audit would catch someone not playing fair. Just my 2 cents, or should I say 10.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I took a quick look and here are my observations, for better or for worse:

You have an excellent command of English, so this cannot be the problem.

Your title is not one people would search for.  You need to make it more specific...something like, "Some Puerto Rican Coffe Makers Are Scamming Consumers".

This seems to be more of a blog than an investigative report.  I'd take the personal stuff out of it and simply report the facts.

Finally, I'm not sure how many people would be looking to learn much about this coffee con.  Perhaps, instead of a call out, you might want to make it more positive and emphasize those coffee makers that are doing a great job, etc.

This has the makings of a good article...just needs some touch up.  Don't know, however, how many readers it will attract.

Good luck.

2. Kristen Howe profile image90
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

Froggy, you need to promote and share your hub to drive traffic via HP, Pinterest, Google + and Twitter. You need to comment on other hubs, ask questions and go to the forum. Check for spammy elements, if you have the NFQ symbol in your ads and see if it's related to your hub on coffee.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, you don't need to comment on other hubs or participate in HP forums and Q&A to get traffic.  That only delivers short-term internal views.  External traffic is the key to earning.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That said, commenting on others' hubs and hanging out in the forums can gain you friendly relations with many helpful folks on this site, who can in turn point you to ways to help your hubs be found from outside of Hub Pages.
        wink

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

The link at the end of your hub that promotes your writing business.  HP doesn't allow that any more.

Remove it and it will probably be featured.

Thanks, I will try that.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Are you saying you get an average of a few cents per article per day, or an average of few cents total per day?

5. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I'm sorry that things haven't been working out for you and it is odd that 400 views only gave you 10 cents. You should still be grateful that you're doing so well as a freelancer because many of us can't say the same. I think plenty of writers would trade what they've achieved for your successes; I know I would.

Thank you Chris. That brought a huge smile to my face today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)