Syrians? They got nothing over Rightwing terrorism: Colo. Springs, CO

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 8 years ago

I found this article from the Denver Post. I am always distressed when my native Colorado struggles to shuck off the husk of the last vestiges of reaction in the attempt to become ever more and more blue. That damnable El Paso County remains a thorn in my side.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29172 … at-planned

But the events of the last few hours have indicated that perhaps we need to focus on domestic terrorism as 12 people were shot by a single gunmen and fortunately there were no fatalities.

( I am incorrect, recent events indicate a total of 3 deaths, one being that of a police officer)

The article says that the gunman's purpose or ideology is unknown. But really? This rightwing witch hunt in regards to Planned Parenthood has soaked the media over the last few weeks. So this guy's deciding to take out his violence here has got to be more than a coincidence.

So out trot the trashy rightwing apologists and excuse manufacturers with their tread-worn explanations, much like the stuff we heard in regard to the Dylan Roof shootings.

So how do you explain it?

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think I will wait a few days until investigators and the media get to see the whole picture.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Choose your media outlets wisely.  We know that unbiased news can be distorted with such a volatile subject.  It's obvious he has some serious issues with PP.  Of course the mug shot makes him look crazy.  All anyone has to do is open their eyes widely and have that crazed look.  It seems to work.

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is why America is divided by two ,  which is actually far better than it will be in a few years ,  Already its the conservatives fault !   Already you have judged,  juried , and  sentenced the right wing  conspiracy theorists . Without waiting for  at least a  full description of details .

Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I suspect that it is the conservatives fault, I just need a little more time and evidence to substantiate that position. If and when that is accomplished, you will hear it here first!

The difference being, of course, if am I am wrong I will have conjones to admit it.

3. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I lived in Colorado Springs for a few years. I was surprised at the violence in Colorado. I remember my son's bus having to be rerouted because of two bodies found on a road it would have passed. Apparently, the father had taken a toddler with him on a drug deal and both had their throats cut. I was driving to Denver once and, no lie, several cars were stopped on the side of the interstate and we say tire irons being removed from trunks. They were preparing for a brawl.

It was a wild place out there. I'm sorry for the tragedy but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as to what precipitated the violence.

Yes, indeed, In 1999, I  lived only 2 miles north of Columbine High.

Mama lives not far to the west of where the Aurora theatre shootings took place back 2012.

It certainly is not the same place where I grew up, but on the other hand is there anyplace that remain unchanged over time?

I will keep my powder dry, for now. If he were really an apolitical nut, why not do his violence at the neighboorhood King Soopers or the local library? I am hard pressed to believe that some sort of agenda is not associated with the choice of Planned Parenthood for his attacks.

1. Live to Learn profile image59

I'm afraid I don't see where there is ever a logical reason for this type of violence. Even if he were anti abortion, there is no rhyme or reason for the jump from opposition to gun welding maniac. I think it is counter productive and beneath us to attempt to paint an entire group with a negative brush simply because of the acts of one individual. I see many here who would readily jump to the defense of Islam if there is a hint of belief that someone who is anti terrorist somehow identifies the two together. It is a little hypocritical to jump to the defense of one group where an adherent may resort to violence, yet attempt to vilify another for similar behavior patterns of a lone individual; especially with no proof that the individual is affiliated with the group one hopes to vilify.

Personally, I think the escalating violence in the world has little to do with religion and much to do with the perceived disparities in our societies and we cannot ignore that prescription drugs play a large part in many of these incidents within our own borders.

Pardon, if I may not be understanding some of the fine points of your perspective.

The points that I am making are:

Conservatives are attacking the Syrian refugees profiling them as a group of potential terrorists, without a basis for that determination. How about considering each refugee on an individual basis and not applying a broad swath to them all?   All GOP Governors, with the exception of the governor of Utah has said that Syrian refugees were not welcome in their respective states. Sounds pretty biased and hypocritical to me. If there is one thing that I cannot abide,  it is hypocrisy and double standards!

I warned the rightwinger that I would be all over them like 'a cheap suit' if it is determined that this 'so called' apolitical nut is not so apolitical, after-all.

The absurd castigation of Planned Parenthood by the right and its phony videos dominated the news last summer. All the GOP candidates were saying how they would cut the funding and those in congress even considered shutting down Washington over the issue. It was determined that there was, in fact, no wrong doing by Planned Parenthood, so they all scurried back through their respective kitchen floorboards from whence they came.

And now the silence from these candidates in regard to this tragedy is deafening. I blame them as much as other conservatives who through their irresponsible rhetoric egged on this deranged fellow giving him ammunition almost as potent as the bullets in his assault rifle.

We know who has been responsible for attacks on PP and abortion clinics over the last few years and it certainly is not anything new. I never see progressives at the forefront of these attacks.

So going back to my main theme , if we are looking for 'terrorism' maybe we need do a better job checking within our own back yard? And they ain't Syrians!

Sure. There are plenty of people whose actions terrorize innocents. I do think that it is not unreasonable to say that organizations such as ISIS actively promote these acts by supplying money and resource to have them implemented. Rhetoric is not the same as guns and money. If we say that it is, then I can assume that those who insist that terrorists have valid reasons which impel them to terrorism are no different from conservatives who are against planned parenthood. Each, through their own words, can cause another to move from a simple point of being against something to an act of violence against it simply because someone else implied that there was a valid reason to be upset.

I hear you, but I am not comparing ISIS to domestic terrorism, but even if I were, I certainly know which, by the body count, is the most immediate threat to me and mine here in the USA.

The attacks on Planned Parenthood certainly has been financed and do not eminate from a vacuum. As for the guns, we are seeing that in communities all over the country by people that choose to make their political statements through blood and violence. I have not seen these kinds of responses from the left since the 1960's.

Of course, terrorism is not acceptable from any source, it is just that there is a difference between the terrorism in my backyard and that on the other side of the globe. It is the Right that is rife in hypocrisy by indicating that there is not a distinction between the two.

I don't know that I agree that the 'Right' is responsible for violence. Violence is perpetrated in our country by mentally unstable individuals. I don't think the Right created them. I don't think the Right condones their behavior. No sane person would. I know I don't know anyone who I consider to be Right who is making such comments. I may not agree with their politics but I don't see them as dangerous.

Anyway. There is enough hypocrisy to go around when we start pointing fingers. Whether we be left, right or in the center. Were I to find out this 'Right' had handed guns to the Colorado shooter, driven him across the country and said something to the effect of 'Blessings my child, go now and wreak carnage' I'll change my view.

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic, L to L. But thank you for providing an interesting discourse.

2. Sam Montana profile image79
    Sam Montanaposted 8 years ago

There is a lot of crime in the Denver area, much of it is gang related and illegal immigrants. There are just so many people pouring into the Denver area now, and I have no idea why, the cost of housing and rents here are very high. People come here, maybe for legal pot, I dont know, but once they get here, they find jobs that do not pay the rent.

As for what happened in Colorado Springs, the shooter is from SC and it is pretty obvious to see what his problem was. Drugs and mental illness is really behind so many crimes today across the US.

Hi, Sam, how have you been?

The cost of living there has gone through the roof. To be able to find the "Colorado" I remember, I would have to move as far away from the front range as possible within the state. I could not get away from all the maddening crowd without either going south of Pueblo or north beyond Cheyenne.

We eventually decided  to move to Florida, it is very affordable here, but I miss the Rockies....

Why do the drugs and mental illness explanation for these people always play out over politically contentious topics, ie, abortion clinics, Planned Parenthood etc?

1. Sam Montana profile image79
        Sam Montanaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

Why do drugs and mental illness explanations play out over political hot issues... because planned parenthood is a legal entity, and just because someone doesn't believe it in, does not give them the right to kill innocent people. Mental illness, means someone thinks they are delusional and can take innocent lives.

As for the crime in Denver, there are tons of people moving into Denver, and many of them have no jobs lined up before they get here or housing. Why they come here I dont know, unless it is legal pot.

Many others come here and do get jobs though. But the daily murders in Denver is mostly gang and or drug related, at least as far as the news mentions.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

This is exactly why  ideologically driven topics probably can never be solved ,between the right and left .   And blaming a crime like this one on either party is just plain foolish !   A nut job , illegally performing a crime  proves nothing as to fault  for party affiliations .  And mature people know this !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)