Spammy elements

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (68 posts)
  1. myshortstories profile image59
    myshortstoriesposted 8 years ago

So i just got a notification that my hub contains spammy elements when it doesn't even include any links or amazon ads,there is no way in hell it has any spam at all.Here is the link to it http://hubpages.com/literature/Two-hearts-in-love

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Do you have any photos that might have links that aren't good?

myshortstoriesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Since all these stories are already published on my bog therefore hubpages won't accept them.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Your Hub is no longer published, and is not viewable by anyone else.

3. Virginia Allain profile image87
    Virginia Allainposted 8 years ago

Check the links you are using, even if you aren't selling anything (Amazon), it might be the sites your are directing people to.

There are no sites at all,there isn't even a link.Its just a normal short story but i wrote a hub before that directed people to my website and now everything i try to publish,the bot marks it as spam

4. DanielMarcosi profile image80
    DanielMarcosiposted 8 years ago

It's possible that your account has been red flagged because of your prior hub. It might take time for it to disappear (3 - 6 months), or you can write to HP and ask them to reevaluate your account.

That must be the case,you should visit my profile and view my hub "Short Romantic Story" which is featured but the hubpages won't publish is because it contains spammy elements

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That Hub is not featured.  You can see it on your profile but no one else can. 

It sounds like your account has been red flagged, you need to email the team @ hubpages to get an answer.

It was featured for a few hours until they took it down.I made a new account and they still won't publish it.The reason is because the short story is not "very descriptive" oh well duh its called a short story for a reason but the bot won't know that will it.They published one of my story which was more like a novel.Its so sad that i can't publish my short stories or diary writings on hubpages because they expect everything to be a thousand words

1. theraggededge profile image98
            theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I read it. Two people falling over each other in a bedroom and some stilted dialogue. It didn't have a complete ending. It seemed to end mid sentence with a grammatical error. I think you could probably see it as a movie in your head, unfortunately, it didn't really transfer well to text.

It was very short, just a couple of hundred words. While that is okay for flash fiction, it doesn't work for a Hub. There were many grammatical mistakes. I know you think that we're all grammar nazis, but when you show that you don't understand basic grammar, you lose credibility as a writer. People stop following the story and start looking for more errors. It interrupts the flow.

Those are the main reasons your hub has been unpublished. However, to make sense, a short story needs to contain some, not necessarily all, of the following:

a. Characterization - your piece just had two names - we didn't find out what kind of people they were.
            b. Plot - where something happens - nothing happened.
            c. Conflict - where the main character experiences some tension, pressure or difficult situaiton. It could be minor or major, but it must be important to that person.
            d. Setting - some kind of place or at least atmosphere.
            e. Theme - for example boy meets girl, love lost and found again, sacrifice, revenge, etc.

There are loads of resources on the web that can teach you about writing fiction.

Its a short story not a novel.My goal was to use as few as words as possible most people don't really wanna stare at the screen for hours.The longer you make it,the more boring it becomes.
              a.Characterization - I didn't feel the need to explain characters in the story,it was irrelevant to the scene and it appealed more to the general audience.Lets say i describe how Katherine was a white skinny blonde with blue eyes now this story won't appeal to an African or an obese girl or a girl with different body features.I wanted everyone reading this story to imagine themselves as Katherine or Jacob therefore characterization was totally unnecessary.
              b.Plot Oh yeah something did happen if only you had read it properly
              c.Conflict You are acting like a school teacher who has given students an assignment to write a short story and the next day you are like oh well identify the conflict in your stories.You can not limit a person's imagination by saying hey you gotta follow these stupid rules.I have read a lot of great stories which didn't involve conflict.Saying that there was a conflict in this story.The whole reason Jacob did not sleep with Katherine was because she did not have those feelings for him.When Jacob allowed Katherine to sleep on bed and slept on the floor instead and the later events that happen in the story,build up that likeness.
              Setting:They were traveling and then had to spend a night at hotel.A hotel is not a place right?
              Theme:Yeah a boy did meet a girl and events which made them closer to each other.
              Even though this short story has been praised by thousands of people on my blog.I know there are some pessimist narrow minded people that do not understand literature at all.Hopefully i did not waste half hour and you might have learnt something.

1. profile image0
                calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lol, i had a hunch there was a jewel on your belly.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

You say the short story has been praised "on your blog".  Does that mean it's already published there?   HubPages will not accept material that's already been published on another site, so maybe that's part of your problem.

Assuming you put the story in the right category - i.e. one of the Creative Writing categories - then the mods don't care whether it's informative or not.  Could it be that you put it in a factual category by mistake?

Finally, I agree that opening multiple accounts to repost it won't solve the problem.

Yeah that was it,my blog already has all these stories.That is why hub pages won't publish them

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

If your blog already has all these stories then of course HubPages will not publish them, so there's your answer. If you want to publish stories on HubPages, then they need to be original, not stories that have been published elsewhere.

Fiction  gets very very few readers on HubPages anyway so personally, I do not recommend it as a place to write for fiction writers.

3. theraggededge profile image98

Why don't you paste it here, so others can read it? If you've already posted it elsewhere, then it won't matter about duplicate content.

What you need to understand that if you invite people to look at your work, then inevitably it will be critiqued. If you can't take it, then don't ask for it.

A good writer will actually pay attention to what has been suggested and then compare it against their work to see if, indeed, the criticism is justified. You say on your bio that it is your goal to become professional. You won't achieve that unless you can take suggestions from other writers in good grace.

By the way, you seem to be confused between characterization and physical description. They are not the same; not even close.

More then twenty thousand people have read my work,it has never been "critiqued" in such a way and i already explained why all your criticism was wrong.You really call yourself a writer when you don't even know a thing about writing? Let me enlighten you my friend,there are five methods of characterization, including "PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION", action, inner thoughts, reactions, and speech.I love criticism if it is actually meaningful.Your criticism was totally incorrect and stupid.No offense but i have seen your comments,all you do is tell people how bad their hubs are.As a writer i know that i can't make all the readers happy.Now if i would have described Jacob as a white,rich person born with a silver spoon in his mouth perhaps that would have satisfied you but a black African adopted man would not have been able to relate to it.Keeping it all open makes it better,especially when its a short story.You can't just make each reader happy so if you make changes based on the criticism of one reader,you are saying good bye to other 30

Now there was I thinking you actually wanted to learn something about how to get a hub featured by improving it. My mistake, sorry. You should carry on as you are - your writing is perfect.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Our "criticism" is not "wrong".  It is a description of what short stories must include to be reliably published and featured.  Specifically: technically correct spelling and grammar, a non-trivial length, and non-trivial content--as assessed by mTurk readers and Hubpages editors.

Creative freedom is great.  On your own blog you can write a short story about an apple on a table and use no punctuation at all.  But this is a content site and it has style and content requirements. Horses for courses.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
                TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you come onto the forums asking for help and advice, arguing with the people who take their time to give it and then insulting them is a surefire way to never get anybody to help you again.  Obviously you have a problem with what you wrote, or it would be featured.  Making excuses and "fighting back" will not fix the problem.  It will only turn people off.  Good Luck with that!

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

You should stop creating new accounts and attempting to publish new articles until a human moderator resolves the issue with your hubs always being automatically flagged as spam.  Creating new accounts may cause you to get auto-banned.  It's the weekend, so probably you will have to wait a few days. Just be patient. If you had an account a long time ago and were banned that probably explains your current predicament, and I wouldn't get my hopes up in that case if I were you.

If you plan to write only short stories on your account, and you feel it an affront to have your creative writing judged by bots and quality raters and such, or to submit to basic standards of grammar and style, then you're better off posting these on a blog or a personal website.  Creative writing will not get enough views or earn enough money on HP to make it worth your while if that is your main goal, whether you are a good writer or a terrible one.  However, there are plenty of people who publish creative writing here because they enjoy socializing and/or trolling.

Best of luck to you.

I actually posted this story a few years ago and i got 130 views and 4 followers in the first day.Unfortuantely i was too busy with my blog so i had to delete the story.People do want to read creative writing and stories.Lets face it nobody likes to sit there and debate about abortion,homosexuality and the politics all day.Things like these make people tense.Everybody wants to watch a good movie,read a great story or listen to some music in their spare time instead.Most people would rather read an interesting story in there free time instead of a hub which tells them how to solve quadratic equations.Math and Science are important but unfortunately they can not provide enjoyment or relaxation.
      Best of luck to you too

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

There you go again, insulting someone who just gave you some pretty darned good advice.  By the way, that particular writer does quite well here on HP, which attests to the fact t hat there are plenty of people who are interested in Math and Science.

2. myshortstories profile image59

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.Its ironic that Shakespeare did not say that,this quote is by one of the best scientist in history,Albert Einstein

6. profile image0

Proper troll protocol is Step 1: first act like a normal user to establish trust with your audience, then Step 2: after trust is established start shenanigans. You didn't do the first step thoroughly, and you've got no style in your execution of the second step.

But I suppose you are just going to dismiss my critique of your trolling and claim that twenty thousand people have read your troll posts and never gave such a critique, and that I'm too stupid to appreciate your fine trolling.

Unless you have been smoking lately i don't see any reason why you would be commenting on a post related to literature.Oh look who is the troll here.What is the first step to establish trust with audience? Comment on topics you don't know anything about?
      My latest story has been read by more then ten thousand people.Troll as i am,i must be lying.So how about lets make a deal? If I am wrong i would never comment or ask a question on hub pages again but if i am right,you can do us a favor by keeping your stupid comments and remarks to yourself.

7. profile image0

Here is the story posted on one of his blogs

https://web.archive.org/web/20151213205 … ether.html

I'm using a webarchive link because he will delete it soon, lol. I guess the thousands of comments of praise are written in invisible ink?

That's the one smile

Did you actually read my comment? I said its been read by more then ten thousand people.Again like i said if you wanna make the deal,i will allow the stats to appear on my blog so you can see for yourself

3. myshortstories profile image59

Here is the facebook page where its been praised by hundreds
      https://www.facebook.com/romanticstoriess/?fref=ts

4. myshortstories profile image59

Lol sorry i forgot reading is not one thing i should associate with you

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The phrase that starts the story creases me up:
        "It was a dark and cloudy night,"
        which is so redolent of
        "It was a dark and stormy night"

to quote http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/it-w … night.html :
        The first 'dark and stormy night' was conjured up by the English Victorian novelist, playwright and politician who rejoiced in the name of Sir Edward George Earle Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton. It has become synonymous with the Victorian melodramatic style, of which Bulwer-Lytton's many works provide numerous examples. This style has long been out of fashion and considered kitsch and risible. So much so that, since 1982, an annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest has been sponsored by the English Department of San José State University, California. Contestants are required "to compose the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels".

This makes me think the story in question is maybe a humourous piece... ?

Maybe... p'raps along the lines of, "It was a dark and cloudy night up the Rhondda, like." smile

Next line?

The darkest denizens of Treorci huddled over their pints in the Stag betting on the probablity that Rhondda Cynon Taf Council was responsible for the latest Jake and Katy "cloudy night" story. Given the general incompetence of the council to keep local services running, this would come as no great surprise.

Suddenly the Stag's door was flung open, setting the plastic Santa newly acquired from the Tenovus charity shop a-wobbling. A wild-eyed, dishevelled man flung himself gasping into the pub.
              "Dewch yma, sit by yer, butt", cried Dewi the Grave, shoving a pint of Brains in the direction of the newcomer, "and tell us wassup".
              Jacob sucked down the pint without stopping.
              "Fair play, chwarae teg" smiled Dewi, "now spit it out, boi"
              Jacob drew a deep sigh... shuddered, and in a quavering voice embarked on his tale....
              "It was a dark and cloudy night..... "

Ooh... I'll give it a go, but later it must be - have to drive to Exeter today.

Iechyd da!

Have you ever written a story my friend? Oh God this is unbelievable here you got mathematicians and cooks commenting on a post related to short stories

And you are making assumptions from collections of hubs. I write fiction elsewhere because HP is not the best platform for it.

2. WriteAngled profile image75

I am neither a mathematician nor a cook...

3. myshortstories profile image59

Cloudy is covered with or characterized by clouds; overcast.Stormy is characterized by strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightning, or snow.
          About time you go back to kitchen write angled

Yes, woman, stop that writing nonsense and get back in that there kitchen. big_smile

8. profile image0

I welcome Raggededge to critique my short story.

Jacob and Katherine were on a plane flying to Hawai'i for a business trip.  The flight was long and neither of them could sleep on planes.  Luckily they had seats next to each other. 

"Hey I know a great way to pass the time." Jacob said to Katherine.

"Yeah, what's that?"

"There's this site called HubPages that's really awesome for trolling."

"Cool, I'm down, dude."

So Jacob created an account and showed Katherine how to rile people up on the forums.  Before they knew it, their flight had landed in Honolulu. 

"Wow, the time really flies when you're trolling HubPages!" Katherine remarked.

"Yeah, but how about on the way back I induct you into the mile high club?" Jacob said with a wink.

Let me tell you something really useful.How about instead of plotting graphs and solving equations we use our graphing calculator to draw butterflies.Wohoooooooo math is fun.

I suggest you try some of your brain training games,might help you.

Oh God your hubs are so interesting i mean i love to find out how Balbis are geometrically shaped.I have been in love with Balbis since kindergarten finally someone wrote a hub on it."A balbis is actually not such a strange and unusual shape after all, in fact, you've probably known it since kindergarten" Oh yeah i actually wore balbis shaped diapers

2. theraggededge profile image98

Where iss ze tension? Ze characterization? All my efforts arrre in vain. You do not leesen in class. You arrre a deezgrace to my renowned school offf fiction.

However, I vill say zis, your spelling is excellent, und you use punctuation correctly, so maybe not so bad afterrr all.

See me in my office, later. You can explain zees 'Mile High Club' to mee, personally.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your thoughtful criticisms, I will certainly think about them as I make revisions.

The raged edge,Have you read Zora Neale Hurston's,"Their eyes were watching God"?

No.

Here is a passage from it.
            But the fourth day after he came in the afternoon driving a
            battered car. Jumped out like a deer and made the gesture of
            tying it to a post on the store porch. Ready with his grin! She
            adored him and hated him at the same time. How could he make
            her suffer so and then come grinning like that with that darling
            way he had? He pinched her arm as he walked inside the door,

"Brought me somethin' tub haul you off in he told her
            with that secret chuckle. "Git yo' hat if you gointuh wear one.
            We got tub go buy groceries."

"Ah sells groceries right here in dis store, Tea Cake, if you
            don't happen tuh know." She tried to look cold but she was smil-
            ing in spite of herself.

"Not de kind we want fuh de occasion. You sells groceries for
            ordinary people. We'se gointuh buy for you. De big Sunday
            School picnic is tomorrow — bet you done forget it — and we got
            tuh be derc wid uh swell basket and ourselves. *

"Ah don't know 'bout dat, Tea Cake. Tell yuh whut you do.
            G'wan down tuh de house and wait for me. Be dcre in uh
            minute."
            If that is the language of an uneducated African black then you gotta represent it that way.There is no point correcting the grammar or you are making the character fake.You are not being true to it,its a misrepresentation.Literature is not science,there are no rules to it.

It's a great piece, however it has nothing to do with your story - you didn't write it in dialect. You need to understand that a professional learns his or her craft to their best ability. When you know the rules (and that author clearly does) you have the freedom to break them. Meanwhile, try pressing the space bar after using commas and periods/full stops. That would be a start.

You found something Great,wow isn't that a miracle.Whats the point of knowing the rules if you are gona break them."Pressing the space bar after using commas and periods/full stops" Is it another of your stupid rules i have to follow teacher?

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

"their" not "there."

Just sayin'.

Like i said i am not God,i can make mistakes.Typing error

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

I, not i

10. profile image0

It was a dark and stormy afternoon.  Jacob and Katherine were in their hotel room in Honolulu.  The mood was tense.  There was a lot of tension in the room and they spoke in past tense. 

"The seatbelts on the plane were really tight." Katherine said.

"Yeah, there was too much tension in them."

"By the way, I've been meaning to tell you that I'm blind and deaf and would you mind characterizing yourself so I know what sort of character you are?" Katherine asked.

"I'm a blond and blue-eyed Navajo. I like pina colladas and getting caught in the rain."

"Cool, thanks."

1. Short Storiess profile image60
      Short Storiessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It was a bright and sunny day.Jacob and Katherine were taking a test.Jacob did not know how to plot graphs or solve equations so he decided to make a butterfly on his graphing calculator to impress Katherine
               Unfortunately it did not work too well and Katherine told him to try some of those brain games.After trying those simple brain card games Jacob fell in love with Balbis and left Katherine.

2. Short Storiess profile image60
      Short Storiessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why are you mad bro? Its not my fault that nobody reads your hubs about Solving Combined Work Algebra Problems | 7 Examples or High School Geometry Word Problems with Solutions or How to Integrate sqrt(x^3 + 1).I mean trust me if somebody asked me on a weekend,hey what you wanna do for fun? I would be like I wanna read a hub about How to Integrate sqrt(x^3 + 1)

11. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

As a fiction writer, I agree with Marisa. That is why I also write non fiction for HP. People may not go check out my fiction while they here, but I'll never know if I don't give them the option.
    Just don't go putting all of your eggs in the one basket.

12. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I see shortstories (whatever) has been banned.

Sometimes, I think you boys and girls play a  bit rough.

I still see his/her profile. If s/he got banned it wouldn't be because of forum hi-jinks, but possibly because s/he is trying to publish the same material under different accounts.

http : // shortstorymonthly. blogspot. co.uk/

In PT 2 Lauren says she has an effin history!

Edit: so I've been looking around her blog. It seems she is very young, which might explain some of her reactions here. Is there a minimum age to have a HP account?

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh well, she put up a good fight. When my cats catch a lizard it is all over in an hour, lol.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the tone of "us guys" stays palpably kinder than that of the golden word writers who don't want to play by the rules.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

People who behave this way on the forums (and on the site) should be banned.  This has probably happened to her/him before which is probably why he/she keeps trying to start new sites.

I don't mind giving a known troll a little roasting now and again but I think newbies need to be given a chance -- even if their punctuation and capitalization is a nightmare.

Maybe I am wrong. though. There is not much room for second rate stuff online anymore.

Ganging up is a bit unseemly in any circumstances.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

He (it is a he, I think) was given good advice, no-one was horrible to him until he started insulting people who were offering advice that he had asked for.

Later when I checked the blog and he'd written that he was in school and trying to chat up his school friend, I realised I'd been communicating with a child. If I'd have known at the time that he was about 14, then I wouldn't have even responded. Given that he said thousands of people had read the story, I thought, as did other people here, that he'd been around a while.

http://mydailydiaryyy.blogspot.com

I wouldn't worry about it, lol. There are so many false signals and possibilities for error in the online world.

I notice that a hub I described as pure spam in another thread has been unpublished but also that my comments have been removed.

I upset a mod, lol.

To me the page was spam on so many different levels it was too exasperating to even explain. But maybe I misread it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)